Options

Replies

• Gohomebay
    Gohomebay Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bump some great ideas thanks!
  • lowcaloriecupboard
    Options
    I made Zucchini Turkinoa (Turkey + Quinoa ;) ) Tacos!

Cut your zucchinis in halves (length wise) and hollow out the seeded area to create a "boat"

Cook some quinoa (amount varies), add cooked quinoa into a pan with already pan fried ground turkey. Add veggies and taco season (anything you want really). Fill zucchini boat with the mixture and sprinkle with cheese.

Bake at 350 in the oven until zucchini looks cooked and cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream and/or salsa!

YUM!
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Bump. Some really good recipes here.
  • CathyMW813
    CathyMW813 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • jcamp22546
    Options
    Bump. Great ideas!
  • krismorraldo31
    Options
    I found this recipe the other day and it sounded delicious! I haven't tried it yet...hopefully it's as good as it sounds.
    Ingredients:
    1/2 c. uncooked quinoa
    1 large egg
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    1/2 c. fat free shredded mozzarella
    1 t. minced garlic
    1 T. dried basil
    1 t. dried oregano
    pinch of salt
    pizza sauce for dipping

Directions:
    1. Cook your protein-filled quinoa! Boil the quinoa and 1c. water and cover. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes (until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender).
    2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all of your ingredients (except the pizza sauce) in a mixing bowl until it is well mixed.
    3. Lightly spray the bottom of a mini-muffin tin with olive oil spray. Using a Tablespoon, scoop ~1T. into each muffin tin, it should fill almost all of them!
    4. Bake them for 15-20 and let cool. Serve them warm with pizza sauce to dip in!

Nutrition:
    (One serving. This recipe makes Two!)
    265 Calories
    6g. Fat
    33g. Carbs
    18g. Protein
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bites
    Makes 24 bites

1 cup cooked quinoa
    1 large egg
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
    1/4 cup buffalo sauce (we used Frank's)
    1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
    1/2 tsp minced garlic
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Ranch or Blue cheese dressing for dipping, if desired

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Mix together all ingredients.
    3. Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (1 heaping Tbs each), and press down gently to compact.
    4. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
    Nutritional Information for 4 bites Calories - 109, Fiber - 1, Fat - 4, Protein - 8, Calcium - 6, Carbs - 11
    I love this idea!
  • rjs2006
    rjs2006 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just have mine with blazing hot pepper sauce. that keeps it real simple.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Quinoa (Mac) & Cheese

1.5 cups cooked quinoa
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk. I used skim
    1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    Panko

Preheat oven to 350. Beat eggs and milk, then add quinoa and cheese. Spray a 9 x 13 casserole w Pam or whatever. Spread mixture in casserole and sprinkle Panko on top. Bake for 30 min.

4 servings, 309 calories, 18g fat, 22g carbs, 19g protein.

ETA: add veggies if you want!
  • shedding60
    shedding60 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yummy! Great ideas....i can't wait to try these!
  • dubgnyc513
    Options
    Small quinoa salad, sorry i don't know calories or proportions but I use about 1 cup of cooked quiona with a half avocado, some cherry tomatoes, cucumber and a half teaspoon of olive oil. It is a great compliment to any fish or chicken dish.
  • mjlong
    mjlong Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bump! YUM. Going to the store tonight!!
  • Schmidt722
    Schmidt722 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Use my favorite cooking website: www.epicurious.com

Search quinoa (or anything you like) and you'll get a list of recipes that include that ingredient. The results can also be filtered to show just the healthy recipes, which are the ones with a broccoli icon. Best cooking database that I know of, and the recipes for the most part will only call for fresh ingredients (no cans of mushroom soup or the like).
  • pilarg18
    pilarg18 Posts: 25
    Options
    From the New York Times (and super yummy)

Quinoa-Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients
    - 3/4 cups uncooked quinoa
    - 4 large red or yellow bell peppers
    - 1 tablespoon olive oil
    - 1 onion, chopped
    - 3 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, sliced (about 1 cup)
    - 2 garlic cloves, chopped
    - 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
    - 1 tablespoon tomato paste
    - 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
    - 14 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
    - 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped, or 1 tsp dried
    - 1/4 teaspoon salt
    - 1/4 teaspoon black ground pepper
    - 2 cups marinara sauce, for serving

Preparation
    ∙Preheat oven to 350°F.
    ∙In a small saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Place the quinoa in a strainer and rinse under cold running water until the water runs clear. Stir the quinoa into the boiling water, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
    ∙Meanwhile, use a sharp paring knife to cut out the core from the peppers. Pull out any seeds and rinse the peppers inside and out. Place them cut side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high power until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
    ∙In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic, and crushed red pepper, if using. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden brown, about 8 minutes.
    ∙Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the zucchini, tomatoes, oregano, and salt and pepper and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the quinoa and remove the pan from the heat.
    ∙Place the peppers cut side up in a medium roasting pan. Spoon the filling into the peppers and fill the pan with water 1/2 inch deep. Bake until the peppers are tender and the top of the filling is lightly browned and crunchy, about 30 minutes.
    ∙Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the marinara over low heat. When the peppers are cooked, place one on each of four plates. Spoon the sauce alongside or on top and serve.
    Makes 4 servings.

Prep Time: 5 mins
    Cook Time: 1 hr
    Total Time: 1 hr 5 mins

Nutrition Facts
    Number of Servings: 4
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 297.9
    Total Fat: 7.9 g
    Sodium: 563.9 mg
    Total Carbohydrate: 49.1 g
    Protein: 9.7 g
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Love quinoa! I make cold salads all the time, no recipe just throw it together. Here are some of my favs:

- tomatoes, cucumbers, mozzarella, balsamic, basil (optional) salt & pepper to taste
    - apples, sweet balsamic (or regular), dried cranberries, almonds
    - tomatoes, bell peppers, red onion, black beans, corn, cumin, cilantro, lime juice

Let them set for about 30mins - 1 hr

Cooked quinoa- can make it anyway you make rice. I love it with sauteed onions and peppers and cooked with chicken broth and a little butter. Comes out creamy.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Mix in some shrimp, lemon, and chilis. Simple healthy shrimp scampi.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Mix in some shrimp, lemon, and chilis. Simple healthy shrimp scampi.

**** Drool.... I think I decided what's for dinner.
  • Jessiebell527
    Jessiebell527 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I made Zucchini Turkinoa (Turkey + Quinoa ;) ) Tacos!

Cut your zucchinis in halves (length wise) and hollow out the seeded area to create a "boat"

Cook some quinoa (amount varies), add cooked quinoa into a pan with already pan fried ground turkey. Add veggies and taco season (anything you want really). Fill zucchini boat with the mixture and sprinkle with cheese.

Bake at 350 in the oven until zucchini looks cooked and cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream and/or salsa!

YUM!

^^This sounds awesome!!!
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like to sautee kale then top it with quinoa a turkey burger and salsa...yummy
    For breakfast I do the same just add egg whites instead of the turkey burger.
  • PeriEP
    PeriEP Posts: 4
    Options
    Cook according to directions with whatever you have and add some curry or powdered cumin, garlic/onion powder. Yummy!