Ketogenic Diet - How many carbs do you eat?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• ohiogirl30
    ohiogirl30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bhinoj
    bhinoj Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I try to stay below 75 and I agree that it has helped me lose weight. I started reducing carbs because I am pre-diabetic. I have also noticed my face is not bloated and my hair is not as thin as before.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I've started leto about 3.5 weeks ago and I've been staying at 30g Net carbs or lower. I just got my glucose/ketone reader today and need to start to test and see where my numbers fall. I may be able to raise numbers some and still stay in ketosis. So far my body has loved leto.
  • 716Lee
    716Lee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    looking for advice

I'm 41yrs old 5'5" 125lbs my ideal weight which was 2 yrs ago was 115lbs. This is the weight that I mentally and physically felt happy healthy and energetic. I miss that feeling. I am NOT comfortable in my skin right now.

I believe I gained the extra 10lbs over the last 2 years due to stress. 2 yrs ago I had more muscle and I was totally ripped. I'm guessing my body composition changed from muscle to fat as I lost a lot of muscle and strength.

I have been paleo for 6 years. I have many food intolerances such as dairy wheat flax soy etc. I don't eat sugar unless its an occasional fruit or starchy veg. I stared a ketogenic diet 2 weeks ago i use MFP to track everything as I'm not really sure what I should be eating.
    MFP goals
    Calories 2000
    carbs 50g total (not net) 10%
    protien 75g 15%
    fat 167g 75%

I typically eat more than 2000 caloies a day, it usually ends up at around 2500 and some days Im still hungry. I'm having a hard time keeping my protein under 100g per day as I love meat, fish and seafood. For fats I eat a lot of avocados, mct oil, full fat goat cheese, full fat goat yogurt, homemade pork rinds, walnuts pecans, almonds, nut butter, coconut milk and coconut oil. my carbs come from salads which i love and eat almost daily.

I have only tried the keto sticks to test for ketosis. sad to say but i'm not in ketosis :((

As for exercise. my job is very physical, I'm a letter carrier and I typically walk 15kilometers everyday carrying up to 50lbs at a time. I also try to attend hot yoga 4 to 6 times per week and lift weight 3 to 4 times per week.

Do I eat too much? or not enough? If i eat too much I don't know how I can eat less and still handle all the walking that I do for work and then still try to attend yoga and weightlifting which are my stress relievers.

Any advice would be appreciated

thanks
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    The other day I did some research for peer-reviewed articles related to low-carb diets. What I found is that the adjusted Atkins Diet calls for 60% of calories from fat, 10% from carbs, the rest from protein.
  • liz1531
    liz1531 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat between 40 and 60 carbs a day and my ketostix always show moderate ketones. That's the third from the highest amount of ketones. I probably am losing 2 to 3 pounds a week
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    My max is set to 40g carbs, of which no more than 20 are net. I am early on in the game.

I ate a good pound of veg today, wheee!
  • khemistrygirl
    khemistrygirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I count carbs differently: I limit carbs from fruit, dairy, treats, nuts, olives, avocado, etc to 10g per day
    For veggies (induction type veggies), I have unlimited carbs (which doesn't always add up to much) according to my hunger.

Usually I'm around 20-50 total depending on availability of veggies.

I also track protein grams to avoid gluconeogenesis.

I prefer to "carb cycle" while in ketosis - I have days of heavy veg consumption (all three meals healthy oils and plants). I have days of higher fat/lower veg consumption. The heavy veg takes me to a medium pink ketostix, the heavy fat/low veg makes it dark purple. I feel best changing this every two-three days. I think my system prefers heavy keto for limiting cravings and energy. It seems to need a "clean out" with a bunch of fiber after two days of that!
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am going to be doing personal experiments on myself to measure ketones and glucose levels, and put them up against weight loss, p/f/c nutrient intake, and exercise levels to see what kinds of correlations I can find. I will be developing them shortly in the coming week or two. If any of you that are doing ketogenic diets, please friend me. I could use more friends that are in ketosis.

my macros are 80F/15P/5C. This is known as extreme ketosis. I don't always hit that 80 goal, but it influences me to get above 70% every day.
  • RockstarWilson
    Options
    btw....let the ones that are against this diet be against this diet. If everyone went into ketosis, all the pigs and cows would be eaten at a faster rate than they can reproduce, and crickets would be the meal of necessity once the population forces the pigs and cows into extinction! So, SHHH
  • RockstarWilson
    edited October 2014
    Options
    leegott wrote: »
    looking for advice

I'm 41yrs old 5'5" 125lbs my ideal weight which was 2 yrs ago was 115lbs. This is the weight that I mentally and physically felt happy healthy and energetic. I miss that feeling. I am NOT comfortable in my skin right now.

I believe I gained the extra 10lbs over the last 2 years due to stress. 2 yrs ago I had more muscle and I was totally ripped. I'm guessing my body composition changed from muscle to fat as I lost a lot of muscle and strength.

I have been paleo for 6 years. I have many food intolerances such as dairy wheat flax soy etc. I don't eat sugar unless its an occasional fruit or starchy veg. I stared a ketogenic diet 2 weeks ago i use MFP to track everything as I'm not really sure what I should be eating.
    MFP goals
    Calories 2000
    carbs 50g total (not net) 10%
    protien 75g 15%
    fat 167g 75%

I typically eat more than 2000 caloies a day, it usually ends up at around 2500 and some days Im still hungry. I'm having a hard time keeping my protein under 100g per day as I love meat, fish and seafood. For fats I eat a lot of avocados, mct oil, full fat goat cheese, full fat goat yogurt, homemade pork rinds, walnuts pecans, almonds, nut butter, coconut milk and coconut oil. my carbs come from salads which i love and eat almost daily.

I have only tried the keto sticks to test for ketosis. sad to say but i'm not in ketosis :((

As for exercise. my job is very physical, I'm a letter carrier and I typically walk 15kilometers everyday carrying up to 50lbs at a time. I also try to attend hot yoga 4 to 6 times per week and lift weight 3 to 4 times per week.

Do I eat too much? or not enough? If i eat too much I don't know how I can eat less and still handle all the walking that I do for work and then still try to attend yoga and weightlifting which are my stress relievers.

Any advice would be appreciated

thanks

Seafood is often a lower fat meat. You might have to reduce that intake (all this said without looking at your numbers) and trade down for some fattier meats. If you have too much protein than you need, gluconeogenesis turns the excess protein into glucose, and it is essentially like eating carbs.

If you are very active throughout the day, you should be able to reach ketosis very quickly. it is recommended to start at 20 carbs per day for the first week or two. If you eat too many carbs, your body will have to burn that and attention will be taken away from making ketones because of this.

the amount you eat total does not play as big a part as hitting your macros and being at the proportions you need to be at. I would lower carbs to 20g/day, keep protein at 100g, and adjust the fat accordingly. Also, drink LOTS and LOTS of water. If you are active, this means a gallon/day at a minimum.

One more thing. Try measuring with blood meters. ketostix are absolutely irrelevant to measuring states of ketosis. You could be in ketosis right now and not even know it. It is like going in for a drug test. you could have a bunch of thc in your bloodstream, but if you flood your body with water, it wont register as high in the urine because it is too diluted. Same goes for when you are dry: it will be too concentrated. Aside from that, it is just what your body excretes as waste, and is very minimal in count to the amount that is processed throughout the day.
    Check out this site to get an affordable meter and test strips. it is the best deal I can find, and I use this:
    https://storefront.novacares.com/storefront/specials.html