Ketogenic Diet - How many carbs do you eat?

Options

Replies

• Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I do keep my fat intake at 50% so I guess that should be helping. I'd have a hard time eating only 20g of carbs a day. That seems so low to me. My average is 87g, and I'm losing weight.

SO DONT CHANGE WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

sigh...

people are crazy sometimes. if it's working why mess with it?? why restrict or punish yourself when you clearly don't need to?

So eating keto automatically makes us crazy and punishing ourselves? I don't feel like I'm punishing myself whatsoever. In fact, I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with new recipes! I made an epic creamcheese meatloaf a couple of days ago and it is uber delicious!

eating keto is forcing your body into a process it would prefer not to do for long periods of time, and has the risk of falling into ketoacidosis.

why take that risk and why put that nutritional stress on your body when you could... I don't know.... just practice moderation and eat all the foods?

I know some people do keto diets for specific metabolic reasons and that's different, but if you're just doing it so you can eat cream cheese meatloaf... well... you could do that anyway without having to force your body into using backup "in-case-of-emergency" metabolic pathways.

It's like running your house's electricity off a back up generator when the main electricity hasn't even been knocked out in the first place. Would you ever do that?

^^^ Totally agree with this. It is not my place to ever tell anyone how to eat so for many people this seems to be working for the moment. However key words being 'the moment'. I feel it has become the new 'fad' diet. The trend that no one will even remember in 10 years from now.

Extremely low carb diets may be a temporary help for people who have medical issues but for the vast majority of people no carb, low carb diets will have side effects in the long run and is completely unnecessary to weight loss.

Our bodies need carbs. They increase serotonin levels in our brains and give us energy. There are studies now showing how people who eat extremely low carbs have more depression issues and also memory problems. I would never say eat a giant bowl of pasta every night and eat bags of chips for breakfast but in the long run most people eating this way will fall back on 'everything in moderation and exercise' because that is what is sustainable and what works.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    From what I read and heard, Ketosis makes the body acidic and you may lose bone density since the body uses minerals from bone to alkalize it.
    Ketoacidosis is the acidic state. Not ketosis. As for bone-density: Studies are inconclusive - there are as many that correlate ketogenic diets with loss-of-bone density (correlation is NOT causation) as there are that show no measurable affect whatsoever.
    OK so ketones from ketosis are acidic and prolonged excess of ketone bodies can overwhelm normal compensatory mechanisms, leading to acidosis. Why risk your bone density?
    Why not try mostly fruits and vegetables if they normally eat mostly carbs? unless they are diabetic. I suppose fats are cheaper than fruits and vegetables.
    It depends on the individual. The clinically obese, especially as they get older, are more-prone to insulin-resistance than others. So even without a Dx of diabetes, the obese are often insulin-resistant and NEED to reduce carbohydrate.

Insulin resistance causes high levels of circulating insulin in the blood, which is clinically shown to both 1) cause cravings for carbohydrate and 2) is the hormone responsible for ingested carbohydrate to be stored as fat.

This is why so many obese people do well on a VLCKD (very low-carb ketogenic diet) where others have failed them.

For those that enjoy carbohydrate, usually as the weight comes off, they can gradually increase the carbohydrate consumption and maintain weight loss. Those that go OFF the VLCKD have a tendency to gain it all back. Talk to anyone that used to be 350+ lbs and maintained weight loss - the almost all exclusively stayed low-carb.

They should eat slow digesting carbs with fruits and vegetables and lean proteins and they would lose weight.
    I doubt almost all of them are low carb. If they go off the diet they will most likely gain the weight back like you said and they have to eat more carbs eventually or risk dying from acidosis. There are far better alternatives to losing weight.

You have no idea what dietary ketosis is and should stop talking about it in a public forum. Dietary ketosis does not acidify your body and does not deplete your bones.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I do keep my fat intake at 50% so I guess that should be helping. I'd have a hard time eating only 20g of carbs a day. That seems so low to me. My average is 87g, and I'm losing weight.

sigh...

people are crazy sometimes. if it's working why mess with it?? why restrict or punish yourself when you clearly don't need to?

So eating keto automatically makes us crazy and punishing ourselves? I don't feel like I'm punishing myself whatsoever. In fact, I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with new recipes! I made an epic creamcheese meatloaf a couple of days ago and it is uber delicious!

eating keto is forcing your body into a process it would prefer not to do for long periods of time, and has the risk of falling into ketoacidosis.

why take that risk and why put that nutritional stress on your body when you could... I don't know.... just practice moderation and eat all the foods?

I know some people do keto diets for specific metabolic reasons and that's different, but if you're just doing it so you can eat cream cheese meatloaf... well... you could do that anyway without having to force your body into using backup "in-case-of-emergency" metabolic pathways.

It's like running your house's electricity off a back up generator when the main electricity hasn't even been knocked out in the first place. Would you ever do that?

Unless I'm missing insulin, I'm not stressing my body out nor am I at risk for ketoacidosis. I feel better eating low carb and the added fat loss is a nice bonus too. Seriously dude, we've made a choice to eat low carb and we like it. Stop being an abrasive *kitten* and trying to stop others from pursuing this way of eating if that's what they want to do. It's really childish.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

sigh...

Unless I'm missing insulin, I'm not stressing my body out nor am I at risk for ketoacidosis. I feel better eating low carb and the added fat loss is a nice bonus too. Seriously dude, we've made a choice to eat low carb and we like it. Stop being an abrasive *kitten* and trying to stop others from pursuing this way of eating if that's what they want to do. It's really childish.

for sure. you do you and if it works and provides you the type of lifestyle you can sustain for the rest of your life than who am i to question it?

agreed. I just don't think it's a good idea for many novices who see it as a short cut to fast fat loss.
  • leighann881
    Options
    I have been battling obesity for more than 10yrs and have recently been told I am insulin resistant and I am only 34. I have been eating clean and mostly organic up until then for the past year and only lost 2kgs in that whole time. When told about my insulin resistance which is linked to my poly cystic ovarian syndrome, the doctor decided to treat me with diet and exercise instead of medication (shocking I know). So I've done EXTENSIVE research on the best diet which happens to be a ketogenic diet. In 2 months I have lost over 10kgs, gained lots of energy, manage to workout 7 days a week and cut my cravings to ZERO! Unlike glucose which if not used by the body for energy gets stored as fat for later use thanks to good old insulin the fat storing hormone. Ketones on the other hand if not used all up by the body will be exreated through the urine. So therefore it's very rare and hard for the body to enter ketoacidosis. In fact there are people on carb laden diets who are probably more acid than Keto people. There is also evidence that the brain actually prefers ketones since they have production sites which produce their own ketones! Please do your proper research before bagging ketogenic diets. They are also used to treat cancer patients (as the diet helps starve the glucose loving cancer cells) and has been used since the 1920s to treat epileptics. Google a surgeon by the name of Peter Attia. He has a great site that explains extensively the benefits of ketosis is which HEAPS of scientific evidence to back it up.

This explains why that is the case. It is a good read. Very objective. http://www.gnolls.org/3637/what-is-metabolic-flexibility-and-why-is-it-important-j-stantons-ahs-2013-presentation-including-slides/

It is very easy for thin people, naturally or through work, to say, "They should just.... " and fill in the blank with whatever whole foods happy mantra is the trend. It isn't quite so easy. I am naturally "normal." It takes tons of work for me to move out of what my "normal" weight is. My body doesn't respond to simply "eat less, move more." I have to really account for what I am eating. Low-carb is the most satiating "diet" I have ever been on. I will eat this way for the rest of my life because I am happy.
  • leighann881
    Options
    I feel it has become the new 'fad' diet. The trend that no one will even remember in 10 years from now.

Ummmmm.... no. Unless you are really young, you should know that low-carb diets are some of the longest reaching lifestyle changes dating back to the early 1900s when it was first hypothesized that insulin was related to the pancreas rather than the kidney, and before they could treat sugar imbalances with medication.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    you need to eat as much carbs as possible, healthy carbs (fruits, veggies, rice pasta, rice) and low fat. Your brain needs carbs, if you try eating low carb your body is going to crave sugar like crazy. Eat High carb and A LOT of food.

::face palm::

I seriously hope you're joking.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I feel it has become the new 'fad' diet. The trend that no one will even remember in 10 years from now.

Ummmmm.... no. Unless you are really young, you should know that low-carb diets are some of the longest reaching lifestyle changes dating back to the early 1900s when it was first hypothesized that insulin was related to the pancreas rather than the kidney, and before they could treat sugar imbalances with medication.

I am not against people who have to lower their carb/sugar level due to medical conditions. I actually have PCOS and know a fair bit about how a lower carb diet can help people with the same condition as me. However, people are now using this method to the extreme for weight loss. Healthy people should not be reducing their carb levels to 20g a day and expecting not to see side effects in the future.

Low carb eating has also been around way longer then the 1900's. OUr ancestors ate a high protein/fat diet before the days of agriculture of course. However I don't really want to go back to the days where we died when we were 35.
  • stacievalley
    stacievalley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What percentage should your carb/fat/protein be at for keto? I'm on day 2 of keto and i'm at 5% carb, 43% fat, and 51% protein. I do a lot of running and powerlifting. I'm doing keto momentairly to get myself out of a plateau. I'm planning on a week to maybe two weeks of keto. I'm usually eating chipotle(salad with double chicken, fajitas, cheese) or i'm eating chicken, pepperoni slices, cheese sticks, anything that has 0 to 3g carbs a serving.
  • huneydrop
    huneydrop Posts: 84
    Options
    you need to eat as much carbs as possible, healthy carbs (fruits, veggies, rice pasta, rice) and low fat. Your brain needs carbs, if you try eating low carb your body is going to crave sugar like crazy. Eat High carb and A LOT of food.

This is sarcasm right????
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    What percentage should your carb/fat/protein be at for keto? I'm on day 2 of keto and i'm at 5% carb, 43% fat, and 51% protein. I do a lot of running and powerlifting. I'm doing keto momentairly to get myself out of a plateau. I'm planning on a week to maybe two weeks of keto. I'm usually eating chipotle(salad with double chicken, fajitas, cheese) or i'm eating chicken, pepperoni slices, cheese sticks, anything that has 0 to 3g carbs a serving.

My ratios are 5% carbs, 75% fats and 20% protein. Keto is low carb and high fat with moderate protein.
  • cshouston81
    Options
    Low carb eating has also been around way longer then the 1900's. OUr ancestors ate a high protein/fat diet before the days of agriculture of course. However I don't really want to go back to the days where we died when we were 35.

You realize that back in those days, people died before they were 35 due to ZERO medical treatments and getting trampled by mammoths, right? Our longevity in modern times has NOTHING to do with agrarian diets.
  • baileyione
    Options
    The sugar in fruit is fructose sugar, it's not going to release as fast into your body like eating a candy bar would. Also if you're eating the appropriate amount of fat and protein it should lesson the the speed of your body absorbing it. You naturally crave sweetness because fruit is one of the foods we humans have always ate! It's full of antioxidants that your body needs :)
  • baileyione
    Options
    I think if someone is trying to do low carb, you should be anti-grain! I would never go to extremes... but if you want a great low carb diet, cutting everything with grains is the way to go! I believe that you should always eat your fruits, and veggies, personally. However, since people believe fruit is so bad, it's up to you. just my two cents :)
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    i've just complete Day 3 of my low carb diet. Still trying to get my head around it all.
    Felt terrible on the first day, but lack of sleep may have contributed to that.
    Have yet to see any results.
    Having weekly contact with my dietitian who is involved in some research through our local University regarding this type of diet.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Keep with it it can take about a week to adapt. Once you have it's well worth it I've been on LCHF for 2 months and yes I've lost weight, but what more important for me I've had a constant stream of energy.

Also I've always been a big eatr of crisp and pizza, so far not even wanting to eat them, I think that's the bit of the diet which has surprised ( and pleased) me most.

Good luck.
  • LMackers
    LMackers Posts: 3
    Options
    Mainly because that doesn't work for everyone. Nothing is a guarantee for everyone, so keep that in mind. Also, I will say any statement about low-carb leading to cravings and depressions (at least for me) is complete bullocks. I've never had more consistent energy and my mood has been remarkably up since switching to low-carb. I took a long hard look at a bagel yesterday and thought, "Yeah, it would be great for about 5 minutes, then all hell would break loose in my body", it's just not worth it. For me, grains, starchy veggies, etc. are like poison. They only do me harm. That may change after a while and I'll eventually try to incorporate the best things, but one can't debate how great I've been feeling and looking lately.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad this topic is on the forums today. I have been curious.
    I was on a plateau after losing 47 pounds, so I thought I'd try the nine-day Carb Cycle.
    I put my carbs down to 21 --period--.
    I've had no craving for vegetables and fruits,
    although I dearly love them. There are no hunger pangs, either.
    I'm eating all the calories for my present goal weight of 230,
    which is 1700 (BMR). My macros are 70% fat, 25% fat, and 5% carbs.
    Tomorrow, Christmas, is my feasting day--YEAH!>
    I thought I'd do at least 3 cycles to see what happens.
    My concern is that all the protein might give my diabetic kidneys trouble
    with my creatinine leverls.
    Any comments? Thanks in advance!

Best wishes!

Actually, you should experience healing...............

http://www.livescience.com/35630-ketogenic-diet-reverses-mice-kidney-disease.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110420184429.htm
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad this topic is on the forums today. I have been curious.
    I was on a plateau after losing 47 pounds, so I thought I'd try the nine-day Carb Cycle.
    I put my carbs down to 21 --period--.
    I've had no craving for vegetables and fruits,
    although I dearly love them. There are no hunger pangs, either.
    I'm eating all the calories for my present goal weight of 230,
    which is 1700 (BMR). My macros are 70% fat, 25% fat, and 5% carbs.
    Tomorrow, Christmas, is my feasting day--YEAH!>
    I thought I'd do at least 3 cycles to see what happens.
    My concern is that all the protein might give my diabetic kidneys trouble
    with my creatinine leverls.
    Any comments? Thanks in advance!

Best wishes!

Actually, you should experience healing...............

http://www.livescience.com/35630-ketogenic-diet-reverses-mice-kidney-disease.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110420184429.htm

Killer logic, single rodent study = a human should see healing as well
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Heh. You have obviously never seen the results that come with a keto diet, nor have you done any research on the subject. Keto makes sense, it's a very scientific process. When your body is without carbs to burn for fuel, it begins burning fat instead. Maybe research a subject before you call it crazy?

true, but your still only going to burn fat at the rate at which you need the energy... same as any other diet.

In my experience, it did not allow me to burn fat any faster... or slower for that matter.

guess what? your body prefers to burn protein before it burns fat. so keto dieters enjoy your absolute lack of muscle mass.

Keto, by nature, is muscle sparing.