Keto Diet

Options
I'm a week into the Keto Diet and have lost 4 lbs so far. Cutting Carbs Sucks but I have made it through one week so I think I can do it now. Any suggestions and experiences with Keto Diet?

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    what % of your daily intake is carbs?
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm a week into the Keto Diet and have lost 4 lbs so far. Cutting Carbs Sucks but I have made it through one week so I think I can do it now. Any suggestions and experiences with Keto Diet?

It's fantastic. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I have lots of experience with this.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    i did p90x and the diet wants you to do 30% of your total calorie intake as carbs.

it was hard at first but i eventually found it satisfying.

I did experence rapid fat loss, but it seemed to tapper down towards the end of the month, only did that diet for a month.

I'm guessing you guys go way lower then 30%?
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    i did p90x and the diet wants you to do 30% of your total calorie intake as carbs.

it was hard at first but i eventually found it satisfying.

I did experence rapid fat loss, but it seemed to tapper down towards the end of the month, only did that diet for a month.

I'm guessing you guys go way lower then 30%?

I keep it around 50 grams or less
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Tried this a long time ago. Lost tons of weight, but unfortunately had lots of digestive problems and rather unpleasant bowel movements (which are usually very rare for me). Tried eating lots of green vegetables but still had problems.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    whenever i do keto it is less than 10% of my calories (from carbs).
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Tried this a long time ago. Lost tons of weight, but unfortunately had lots of digestive problems and rather unpleasant bowel movements (which are usually very rare for me). Tried eating lots of green vegetables but still had problems.

i have the opposite problem. on keto i have absolutely no digestive problems. when i eat carbs (especially starchy carbs) i have acid reflux.
  • eastcar0linagirl
    Options
    what % of your daily intake is carbs?

My goal is 10% a day, so about 30g a day
  • digitalsteel
    Options

i have the opposite problem. on keto i have absolutely no digestive problems. when i eat carbs (especially starchy carbs) i have acid reflux.

Same for me. Sometimes you cant jump right into it. Try easing into it a little at a time. Your body needs to build the enzymes to burn the fat.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    It is good, but just to get keto-adapted. After you adapt and if you like intensive training search for Cyclical Ketogenic. Best diet I've tried so far.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    i had digestive issues too, blamed it on not getting as much fiber as i had been getting. was eating a lot of fruits and veggies. i suppose you could still fit in a lot of veggies especially at 30%.

so whats the difference between 'Atkins' and 'Keto'?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If cutting carbs sucks for you then why are you doing this? You don't have to experience discomfort or suffering. You'll be much better off if you're comfortable and happy.
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    If cutting carbs sucks for you then why are you doing this? You don't have to experience discomfort or suffering. You'll be much better off if you're comfortable and happy.

Some may think this is extreme, but cocain addicts use the same ideal as this. I find sugar, grains, and the like that pump your body full of glucose cause an addiction affect in the brain. It is literaly the same reaction. There are even studies to prove this.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Some may think this is extreme, but cocain addicts use the same ideal as this. I find sugar, grains, and the like that pump your body full of glucose cause an addiction affect in the brain. It is literaly the same reaction. There are even studies to prove this.

Can you post these studies? I'm having a hard time seeing the two as comparable.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I did keto for many months and had great results. By far and large the best resource for questions and advice is http://reddit.com/r/keto. There are steps in the FAQ for how to setup MFP for keto and some good resources for recipes and whatnot.

I saw quite a few posts about carb goals and they are wrong. For a good keto balance you want 65% fat, 35% protein, and 5% carbs. Otherwise your body won't go into a full on ketosis. You can get some benefit from dropping to 10% carbs, and maybe even some light ketosis benefits, but if you want the full monty you need to be around 5% carbs.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Can you post these studies? I'm having a hard time seeing the two as comparable.
    I'm going to make one up. The brain runs on glucose (that part isn't made up). Giving yourself glucose can make the brain happy. Cutting it out makes it feel like the same reaction as an addiction affect on the brain because...the brain needs it to live :laugh:
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I only use this type when cutting for a show, 2 weeks out prior to my comp date. Great way to really get shredded. usually go for 10% carbs and 60% fat 30% protein. Great diuretic effect as well.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I prefer cracking crabs over cutting them, but to each his own.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    You all do understand gluconeogenesis and that your body won't get all it's energy from fat stores? There will be a break down of proteins at some point to create glucose. That's not a good outcome for muscle maintenance.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

lolwut?