Keto Diet

Options

Replies

• digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If cutting carbs sucks for you then why are you doing this? You don't have to experience discomfort or suffering. You'll be much better off if you're comfortable and happy.

Some may think this is extreme, but cocain addicts use the same ideal as this. I find sugar, grains, and the like that pump your body full of glucose cause an addiction affect in the brain. It is literaly the same reaction. There are even studies to prove this.

Can you post these studies? I'm having a hard time seeing the two as comparable.
    I'm going to make one up. The brain runs on glucose (that part isn't made up). Giving yourself glucose can make the brain happy. Cutting it out makes it feel like the same reaction as an addiction affect on the brain because...the brain needs it to live :laugh:

Actually http://ezinearticles.com/?Wellness-Coaching---Your-Brain-Was-Designed-for-Ketones&id=6490960
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    If cutting carbs sucks for you then why are you doing this? You don't have to experience discomfort or suffering. You'll be much better off if you're comfortable and happy.

Some may think this is extreme, but cocain addicts use the same ideal as this. I find sugar, grains, and the like that pump your body full of glucose cause an addiction affect in the brain. It is literaly the same reaction. There are even studies to prove this.

lolwut?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sugar-Found-More-Addictive-Than-Cocaine-61862.shtml
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options

lolwut?

Taso... I think this is about to get really.... really good....
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    "You all do understand gluconeogenesis and that your body won't get all it's energy from fat stores? There will be a break down of proteins at some point to create glucose. That's not a good outcome for muscle maintenance."

(I am a rere and forgot to quote the original)

This is a good point, but I think for most people (at least for myself) keto was used to get rid of the initial weight. I wasn't worried about maintaining muscle until I was getting close to my target weight and I started going to the gym. If you need to close more than 25 pounds keto is a great way to do it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Ok I'll admit it. I'm so addicted to food that I eat every single day. Multiple times a day. And water... I hardly go anywhere without my water bottle. I'm a complete junky. I might as well be shooting heroin.
  • marypatmccue
    Options

lolwut?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sugar-Found-More-Addictive-Than-Cocaine-61862.shtml

Uhm. This barely classifies as a "study" ... and also, directly from it: " some researchers point out that these conclusions could not be applied directly to humans..."

smh...
    :noway:
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    Ok I'll admit it. I'm so addicted to food that I eat every single day. Multiple times a day. And water... I hardly go anywhere without my water bottle. I'm a complete junky. I might as well be shooting heroin.

Damn shame there are people who are more interested in sarcasm and derailing a topic than constructive discussion.
  • ze_hombre
    Options

This isn't the point. The point is that sugars cause the same kind of response in the brain that addictive drugs do. Proteins and fat don't cause the same physiological effect.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    "You all do understand gluconeogenesis and that your body won't get all it's energy from fat stores? There will be a break down of proteins at some point to create glucose. That's not a good outcome for muscle maintenance."

This is a good point, but I think for most people (at least for myself) keto was used to get rid of the initial weight. I wasn't worried about maintaining muscle until I was getting close to my target weight and I started going to the gym. If you need to close more than 25 pounds keto is a great way to do it.

In my opinion, I don't see the advantages of sacrificing LBM for the sake of reaching a number on a scale faster.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Can you post these studies? I'm having a hard time seeing the two as comparable.
    I'm going to make one up. The brain runs on glucose (that part isn't made up). Giving yourself glucose can make the brain happy. Cutting it out makes it feel like the same reaction as an addiction affect on the brain because...the brain needs it to live :laugh:

Actually http://ezinearticles.com/?Wellness-Coaching---Your-Brain-Was-Designed-for-Ketones&id=6490960

That's not a study, it's an article. And I didn't see any mention of carbs being comparable to crack. And since I've never known anyone to lose a job, house, car, go to jail, get divorced, or take up prostitution over carbs, I'm going with an educated guess that the two "addictions" are not the same.
  • digitalsteel
    Options

lolwut?

Uhm. This barely classifies as a "study" ... and also, directly from it: " some researchers point out that these conclusions could not be applied directly to humans..."

smh...
    :noway:

You are correct, in that this is a study involving rats. But it deserves looking deeper into for humans. However one can not deny the affect has a strong chance of being simaler. When I consume things that spike my insulin I feel hungary more often. That was my N=1 experiment a while back. Studies that show how insulin blocks leptin also prove why this happens.
  • ze_hombre
    Options

In my opinion, I don't see the advantages of sacrificing LBM for the sake of reaching a number on a scale faster.

If you are grossly obese as I was then you would maybe understand. Its not about getting to a number so much as getting rid of the 'obese' moniker. I agree with you that once you get to a maintenance phase keto isn't something to do perpetually. Its merely a tool to get the whole process started.
  • marypatmccue
    Options

That's not a study, it's an article. And I didn't see any mention of carbs being comparable to crack. And since I've never known anyone to lose a job, house, car, go to jail, get divorced, or take up prostitution over carbs, I'm going with an educated guess that the two "addictions" are not the same.

I would've (and should've) left my ex husband for carbs... HAHAHAHA. I would've been happier sooner. You know, cause carbs are like drugs and stuff..
  • digitalsteel
    Options

I believe this is due to sugar being dirt cheap and everywhere.
  • taso42
    Options

Damn shame there are people who are more interested in sarcasm and derailing a topic than constructive discussion.

Constructive discussion? We might as well be talking about what gives unicorns the ability to fly.

BRB, I need to go snort some sugar.
  • taso42
    Options
    You are correct, in that this is a study involving rats. But it deserves looking deeper into for humans. However one can not deny the affect has a strong chance of being simaler. When I consume things that spike my insulin I feel hungary more often. That was my N=1 experiment a while back. Studies that show how insulin blocks leptin also prove why this happens.

In your N=1 study, did you keep calories constant? Did you ensure adequate protein and fat intake?
  • IronPlayground
    Options

If you are grossly obese as I was then you would maybe understand. Its not about getting to a number so much as getting rid of the 'obese' moniker. I agree with you that once you get to a maintenance phase keto isn't something to do perpetually. Its merely a tool to get the whole process started.

The other side of that is that when one is grossly obese, they have the advantage of being able to increase muscle mass, for a short period of time, while eating at a deficit.

You're right, I've never been at that weight. However, I still look at a keto diet for that situation as not necessary.
  • IronPlayground
    Options

In your N=1 study, did you keep calories constant? Did you ensure adequate protein and fat intake?

I agree with Taso here. If you are eating balanced meals that include proteins, carbs, and fats, then insulin spikes shouldn't be a concern. While maintaining a calorie deficit.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I only use this type when cutting for a show, 2 weeks out prior to my comp date. Great way to really get shredded. usually go for 10% carbs and 60% fat 30% protein. Great diuretic effect as well.

^^ when this guy talks, i listen lol.

2 weeks is enough to make a big difference?

I"m just terrified of eating all that fat, seems counter productive, but i guess you need to provide the alternative energy source.

Personally i think its probably best as a short term solutuion like used here.
  • digitalsteel
    Options

In my study I replaced high glycemic foods with low glycemic foods. Kept protein around 1/2 gram per lb of body weight and fat around %50 of my calories. After trying this for a month I found I could consistantly consume around the same number of calories every day without trying to. When I consumed foods that spiked my insulin I found I had to force myself to stop eating in order to keep to a specific calorie ammount.

For the gluconeogenesis thought line. It occurs when your protein intake is too high and fat intake too low. Aim for nutritional ketosis. Your body will not try to break protien into glucose if you have adiquate healthy fat consumption. Now adays I aim for around 90-100 grams of fat per day.

Our nation is fat phobic and I think it is detrimental to our health.