What's your love story?

Options
Mustang_Susie
Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
How did you meet your SO?

I was recently divorced (great start, I know) and working as a nurse in a nursing home.
We use wheelchair van services to take our residents out to appointments.
One of the van services was owned and staffed by off duty firefighters.

In the course of conversation, one of the drivers came to know how ugly my divorce was and how I was raising my two young boys.
He said he knew the perfect guy for me with a big heart and broad shoulders who could handle my "baggage".
He then gave me the phone number to the firehouse and told me to call him. :noway:

Well, call me old-fashioned but I wasn't ready to start calling guys after all I had been through.
But I did give him my number and told him to give me a call.
He did and we talked on the phone for hours that first night.
We went out on a "blind date" by the end of the week with the guy who set us up and another couple.

He was a 6'5" firefighter with the most amazing blue eyes and a heart of gold and we've been married for 13 years now. :love:

Neat afterthought: my grandpa, whom I loved dearly, was also a firefighter for the same department and I always said I wanted to marry a firefighter.
Sometimes dreams do come true! :heart:

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Met my wife in college.I really didn't like her at all when I met her in a Biology lab class (actually called her a complete ***** at one point), but we ended up as lab partners and became friends. She was married at the time and I was dating so really just friends and we parted ways for several months. We again ended up in another Biology class together and I found out she was divorced. We still were only friends but did go out a few times and enjoyed each other's company. Things sort of blossomed from there. We dated, lived together, and eventually got married years later.

Soooo...it hasn't been a pciture perfect Disney marriage, but we've really come into our own these days, sharing the good and bad times we have had over the years. It has been an wild, trying, and fullfilling ride, with hopes of many more years. We are celebrating 16 years together this June.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I've got the classic high school sweetheart story. We started dating junior year... 1 month into dating, we were driving around and he hit black-ice and he totalled his dad's car (hit a concrete light pole and a 7-foot pine tree). He walked away with scratches, I ended up with a busted up body and almost lost my leg (or me...) since everything hit my side. That was the first time he told me he loved me. That was 10 years ago. Been married for 4.

It's been a b&tch and bumpy ride...but it's been alright.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Wow, some bumpy starts!

Guess, it's not always love at first sight :wink:

We didn't 'click' initially either, but it didn't take long.
    And we've had more than our fair share of ups and downs but wouldn't trade him for anything :smile:
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    This is not my love story but my great aunt and uncles. It is so sweet I had to share!

They were sweethearts in their teens when they worked at a resort in Colorado. After a couple years their families moved and they lost touch. My great uncle moved to Oklahoma, got married to a horrible woman, had a son. Eventhough his life was miserable, he stayed with her until their son left for college, then got a divorce. My great aunt Enid had also gotten married and moved to Alaska, then her marriage ended.
    My great uncle Bert somehow got in contact with Enid's parents after his divorce and they told him where she was, Anchorage Alaska, working for the Department of Fish and Game. That night he was on a flight to Anchorage! He walked in while she was at work, and they have been happily together ever since.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    This is not my love story but my great aunt and uncles. It is so sweet I had to share!

They were sweethearts in their teens when they worked at a resort in Colorado. After a couple years their families moved and they lost touch. My great uncle moved to Oklahoma, got married to a horrible woman, had a son. Eventhough his life was miserable, he stayed with her until their son left for college, then got a divorce. My great aunt Enid had also gotten married and moved to Alaska, then her marriage ended.
    My great uncle Bert somehow got in contact with Enid's parents after his divorce and they told him where she was, Anchorage Alaska, working for the Department of Fish and Game. That night he was on a flight to Anchorage! He walked in while she was at work, and they have been happily together ever since.

:flowerforyou:
    Pass the tissue...
    My father-in-law worked for the department of fish and game too!
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    In 2008, I was about to start college. There was a Facebook group for my college class. I was on there chatting to everyone. I noticed one guy posting on there who already went there for 1 year and was answering questions. I sent him a private message on Facebook with some college questions. He answered and added me as a friend. That was about it for a month.

During my first night at college in a dorm, I posted a status saying "I'm homesick." He used Facebook Chat to say hi and tried to make me feel better. He ended up transferring to a different college for his sophomore year, but it was his first time in a dorm setting too. We connected and transitioned the talk to AIM.

After chatting on AIM for weeks, we talked on the phone and eventually met up on September 13, 2008 in the city where my college is. We walked around and talked. This was our first date.

It all grew from there. We've been together for 4.5 years now. :)
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    In 2008, I was about to start college. There was a Facebook group for my college class. I was on there chatting to everyone. I noticed one guy posting on there who already went there for 1 year and was answering questions. I sent him a private message on Facebook with some college questions. He answered and added me as a friend. That was about it for a month.

During my first night at college in a dorm, I posted a status saying "I'm homesick." He used Facebook Chat to say hi and tried to make me feel better. He ended up transferring to a different college for his sophomore year, but it was his first time in a dorm setting too. We connected and transitioned the talk to AIM.

After chatting on AIM for weeks, we talked on the phone and eventually met up on September 13, 2008 in the city where my college is. We walked around and talked. This was our first date.

It all grew from there. We've been together for 4.5 years now. :)

Aww, sweet. I guess Facebook is good for something :wink:
  • dee__sxox
    Options
    I met him online. Yes dorky. But he stood out at the top of the users list. He stood out more than everyone else.
    His fiance had cheated on him and took their house.
    We went to a restauraunt. This was last christmas. It has since then been shut down.
    We hung out and he told me he was not ready.
    So i tried to cheat on him (it didnt work.)
    I realized I couldn't sleep with anyone else but him and this was it.
    We are still technicaly not dating and he doesnt make things clear.
    He cant drive since I tried to cheat on him because he went and got a dui.
    So its hard to meet, there is not much to do. Especialy with no money.
    He gets more handsome everytime I see him.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I met him online. Yes dorky. But he stood out at the top of the users list. He stood out more than everyone else.
    His fiance had cheated on him and took their house.
    We went to a restauraunt. This was last christmas. It has since then been shut down.
    We hung out and he told me he was not ready.
    So i tried to cheat on him (it didnt work.)
    I realized I couldn't sleep with anyone else but him and this was it.
    We are still technicaly not dating and he doesnt make things clear.
    He cant drive since I tried to cheat on him because he went and got a dui.
    So its hard to meet, there is not much to do. Especialy with no money.
    He gets more handsome everytime I see him.

Troll?
    Deactivated account. :huh:
  • j4zepedajj
    Options
    I dont have one... Mine is more of a Greek Tragedy!! LOL
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I dont have one... Mine is more of a Greek Tragedy!! LOL

Bummer...
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    My wife left now I love my life :smokin:
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My husband and I met at work. He's an electrical engineer and I'm a techincal writer. We had to work on a machine manual together. It took him about 6 months to get his head out of his @$$ and decide he wanted to date me though! Later he said it was because he knew when he met me he was going to marry me and wasn't ready to give up his bachelorhood! LOL

We started dating March 24, 2000 (13 years yesterday!), he moved into my apartment at the end of August 2000, we got engaged December 24, 2000, and signed the closing papers on our house Dec. 29, 2000. Married Oct. 4, 2002.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    My husband and I met at work. He's an electrical engineer and I'm a techincal writer. We had to work on a machine manual together. It took him about 6 months to get his head out of his @$$ and decide he wanted to date me though! Later he said it was because he knew when he met me he was going to marry me and wasn't ready to give up his bachelorhood! LOL

We started dating March 24, 2000 (13 years yesterday!), he moved into my apartment at the end of August 2000, we got engaged December 24, 2000, and signed the closing papers on our house Dec. 29, 2000. Married Oct. 4, 2002.

Wow! How was he so sure that you would still want to date him after six months?? :tongue:
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Almost 3 years ago I stopped into a climbing shop that was new and I was looking for a bouldering pad. The one I was looking for was out of stock, but the owner was very kind in offering to order one for me to pick up next time I stop in, so I agreed. I stopped back in the next week, but it still hadn't come in yet, so I chatted with the owner and found out we know a lot of the same people and have similar interests in the outdoors. I stopped in two weeks later and my item was on backorder, so I chatted with the owner some more.. we made plans to go hiking together since just told each other we both lost our previous hiking buddies to sour relationships. I made it a point to stop into the shop and say hi more often.

We went hiking and backpacking and climbing many times together, fell in love, and got engaged less than 6 months later. We bought a house. I quit my teaching job and joined him as an full-time associate at his shop. I'm now the manager. Cute, huh? :laugh:

We plan to have a small wedding ceremony this fall. :heart:
  • MelissaSel
    MelissaSel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    He's not my SO, as I just met him. But I find it interesting, because I am way overweight, and he is an advanced personal trainer with a ripped rock hard body.

I went to an event, and he was the first one I saw. My first thought was, "I am not leaving this earth without talking to him". You see, I enjoy flirting and do it well, so I never hesitate to speak to a hot man. So I thought about it my strategy and went for it. I ended up flirting a bit, and he responded. Throughout the afternoon there was a little bit of flirting back and forth. When I left I was disappointed that I didn't see him... til I went outside. I walked over to him and said, "Thank you for letting me look at you all afternoon... you made my eyes very happy." He said he felt the same way and gave me his card and asked me to call him. When I got in my car I saw that he was a trainer, and I was p*ssed because I thought he was thinking fat girl = $$$. So after I stewed for awhile, getting more and more mad, I texted him with, "So while I was shamelessly flirting with you, you were marketing yourself to me?" He said, "NOOO! Not at all! I'm really interested in you!"

So here we are a few weeks later... he is the most gorgeous, sexy, sweet, intelligent, funny man and I'm getting addicted to him! Neither of us are looking for anything serious, as I am likely moving out of state within the next year... but I plan to enjoy him for as long as I can :)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Wow! How was he so sure that you would still want to date him after six months?? :tongue:

Great question! LOL I almost didn't!! But during those six months we would go to lunch together, the occasional dinner out as "friends", etc so we were keeping in contact outside of work....but he's also pretty arrogant that way, so he just "knew"! :laugh:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Almost 3 years ago I stopped into a climbing shop that was new and I was looking for a bouldering pad. The one I was looking for was out of stock, but the owner was very kind in offering to order one for me to pick up next time I stop in, so I agreed. I stopped back in the next week, but it still hadn't come in yet, so I chatted with the owner and found out we know a lot of the same people and have similar interests in the outdoors. I stopped in two weeks later and my item was on backorder, so I chatted with the owner some more.. we made plans to go hiking together since just told each other we both lost our previous hiking buddies to sour relationships. I made it a point to stop into the shop and say hi more often.

We went hiking and backpacking and climbing many times together, fell in love, and got engaged less than 6 months later. We bought a house. I quit my teaching job and joined him as an full-time associate at his shop. I'm now the manager. Cute, huh? :laugh:

We plan to have a small wedding ceremony this fall. :heart:

Very cute! :smile:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This one time I was drunk at a bar. I took this dude home with me. He actually called the next day.

No really. That's how it started.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm single, and this thread is making me extremely sappy lol : P