What's your love story?

Options

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    My story sounds like it could be a commercial. I decided to join one of the popular online dating sites since I hadn't had much luck on the "normal" dating scene. One of the first profiles that was a "match" for me was for my wife, and she was the only one I ever contacted. I messaged her and she responded. We talked over email for the next day and I invited her to a Hockey game the following evening. At the time I was the DJ for a local minor league hockey team and thought it would be fun to have her come to a game. She did and brought a friend with her. We all went to dinner afterwards and she thought I liked her friend more than her and was surprised when I called her the next day. She was moving that night and I offered to help her move. She accepted my help and after that night we never spent a day apart until after our wedding. I guess you can say that we hit it off pretty well.

That was 12 years ago and we just celebrated our 11th anniversary. There have been some rocky times and some great times and I feel lucky and blessed to have her in my life.

Hope this isn't too sappy.

I was good until the last sentence.
    More tissues please. :flowerforyou:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Met on MFP. We were just on each others FL for just about a year, then found a connection when we started interacting more. She is an amazing woman, and I could not be happier about finding her.

I've wondered how many people have met on mfp. :smile:
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Met my now husband when I was 19, he was 26. I was working at a tanning salon that my best friends dad owned. He came in several times and I took notice, but we just exchanged :"hellos". After about a month, my friend told him that I thought he was hot (unbeknownst to me). He asked me out, but I politely declined, as I was in a relationship with someone else. After he asked a second time, I thought, what the hell and went out with him. That was 22 1/2 years ago. We dated for 11 months, became engaged and married six months later. Three kids later, two of whom are now in college, we just celebrated our 21st Anniversary!

And to think that my Mom said it would never work...that he was too old for me! :laugh:

Is this girl stil your friend? :laugh:

Sweet story :smile:

Yes!!!! After all of these years, she is most definitely still my friend.....in fact, she was in our wedding!! :heart:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Met in high school, between junior and senior year (went to different high schools)
    Would see each other when we were home on winter break and grab coffee (went to different colleges)
    Ended up working together 2 years after college, went out for happy hour together once, to catch up on "old times" and had a blast! Started secretly dating until I found a new position at a different company....our wedding will be this September :smile:

Congratulations! :heart:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I went to church in AZ with my now-husband 17 years ago, when we were 10 years old. (1995) I had a crush on him for almost that long. :) My family moved across the country when I was 12, (1998) but we stayed friends and wrote each other letters for the next 5 years or so. When I was 17 (2002) we moved back to AZ, and my family visited our old church. When I walked in, our eyes locked and I knew I was even more in love with him than I ever had been. We dated semi long distance (we lived 30 min away from each other) for a few months, than broke it off because of the distance.

Two years later (2004) we started talking again, and fell in love all over again and dated for a few months until he moved to Brazil, and we sort of put things on hold. We wrote letters for the first year (2005) he was there, then broke if off because of the distance (AGAIN). He moved back to AZ (2006), and dated another girl for 2 years, while I dated someone else too. In spring 2009 we had both ended our relationships, and found each other on Facebook. We exchanged numbers and ended up talking on the phone for four hours. A week or so after that I decided to put in all on the table and told him that I still loved him, and always had. Once he recovered from the shock, he realized he loved me too. We started dating (for the THIRD time) summer of '09. He proposed that December, and we got married Sept. 2010. Been together ever since, and are now raising our adorable munchkin toddler together.

You can't escape fate!
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    My now husband and I work for 2 different police stations. We were having a picnic over the summer for both stations and I was flipping burgers in the parking lot. My husband saw me on the video camera and thought I was cute. He went on and on to my co-worker about me, to the point that she finally said, "Will you just call him already? I'm sick of hearing about it." LOL

We went to lunch shortly after and moved in together after 6 months. Almost 12 years later, he still makes me laugh every day.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I was a divorced mom with a 1 year old and was working full time. I went to my Dr's office for a check up and he asked me how my love life was. I thought he was being weird so I looked at him kind of funny. He asked again how things were going with dating, meeting someone and having a child to care for. I told him it wasn't going so well. Guys got jealous of the time and attention I had to spend with my son and they would get upset if I had to cancel a date if my son got sick. I told him it would be nice to meet a guy who wasn't such a selfish baby and liked me and my son. He said I have just the guy for you. Again I thought OMG this old guy better not be thinking of asking me out or something....ewww! He then said..My son! He told me a little about his son and asked me if it was ok to give his son my number. I thought it was a big joke and figured what the heck. What do I have to lose? I've already met some pretty weird men so one more wouldn't matter. Thinking it was a joke I said sure here's my parents number, my private number in my room, and my work number. The nurses in the office all hid his photo asap. They said it wasn't right that I could see what he looked like and he didn't know what I looked like. But they assured me he was the "handsome" son. They all told me I would really like him.

The next day I went to work and told the girls in my office and we were all cracking up thinking it was a joke but wouldn't it be funny if it worked out?

Six months later I had completely forgotten about my Dr's attempt to fix me up with his son. Then the phone rang. I heard this mans voice telling me his name David Davidson. I cracked up laughing. I said really? Are you kidding me? Is this a joke? He said no I assure you this isn't a joke. My dad gave me your number and told me I would like you and wanted me to give you a call. He said you were divorced...so am I. He told me you have a son.. I don't have any kids but love kids. We talked for probably an hour. He was in the Navy at that time and couldn't get time off the ship so he called me every day till he could come up with a time and day to go out for our first date.

Our first date he showed up with this big ear to ear smile. I fell for him right then and there. We had such a good time talking over dinner that we didn't realize what time it was and we had to be told by the staff that they were closing and we had to leave lol.

He proposed 4 months later, we married 4 months after that and we've been married now over 20 years. We have 3 kids including the oldest from my first marriage. I can't imagine being with anyone else. I still get a big ear to ear smile from him the minute he walks in the door. :smile:
  • htiafyenaffit
    htiafyenaffit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My previous love interest "together" (but he was never committed) ended very badly with him being drunk and hitting on my best friend... at that point I decided I wasn't looking any longer because I just chose a ton of duds and I'd never let it come to me of course I thought it wouldn't .... about a month after breaking off the last "fling" I was online and decided to log into my myspace which I hadn't in almost a year. I had a message titled Is this you? so I opened it and This guy said "I logged into my old yahoo personals page and you were on my local matches I read your profile and you are pretty much me in a female body. You are beautiful ... it said your page had been deactivated so even though I sound like a creep I felt like I needed connect with you so I searched everywhere and I think this is you ... reply if you want I understand if you don't" then he linked the profile he found and sure enough it was me I didn't think it was going to be because I didn't even remember making a yahoo personals page lol ... but anyways I messaged him back although wary about it and we hit it off we talked only on instant messenger for weeks then started to text and call about a month and a half later we met up and went to a movie the whole time I thought he's not really my type but Ill give it a go considering all the guys I thought were my type weren't worth my time ... we were completely on the same level. We went out 4 times within a month and he asked me to be his girlfriend I said no because I was so unsure about what I wanted but after hanging out 3 more times I asked him to be my boyfriend and of course he said yes that was 4 years 2 months and 25 days ago and were still going strong! we've had our ups and downs as any couple does but I love him more than anything and see us having a very happy future together.

ETA : The night before we met my ex texted me saying he wanted to get back together and I almost Blew off the new date for him! so happy my friend was there and talked me out of it I still thank her for that today :)
  • Perrylr21
    Perrylr21 Posts: 51
    Options
    I was divorce and so was she. She was the dental assistant at the dentist office I went to. I had been dating off and on and was really ready to just live my life and find myself again after a series of bad dates. I was really ready to just work, workout and enjoy my kids. Well, I had a dental appointment that I went to and we kinda made small talk. Well, as I was leaving, they always made your next cleaning appointment as you left. She commented that my next appointment was on her birthday, so I said make my appointment just before lunch and I'll take you to lunch. She commented that I'd forget or that I'd back out, something to get out of if. I told her I wouldn't.

Well the following week, I got an Easter Card that simply said, "your basket or mine"!! :noway: I knew that I needed to thank her for the card, but was scared to death to call.........remember, I wanted to just work, workout and not have anything to do with dating. It took me 3 days to say thanks. We started with talking, mainly over IM, but that went on for about 6 months before we ever went out to eat.

That was 12 years ago and we've been married for 10 years.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    My husband found me on MySpace. We exchanged a few message, talked on the phone once, bonded over a mutual love for The Life Aquatic and went on a lovely first date to a pizza place. He ended up moving into my house three months later and the following month I lost my job. Things got pretty strained and we ended up breaking up and going our seperate ways. We both dated other people and he ended up impregnating his GF with twins after only dating a month. Long story short she ended up being a hot mess and a pathological liar. He broke off the relationship with her and maintained contact because he wanted to be a father to the babies even though it didn't work out with the mother.

At the same time, things went south with the guy I was seeing. We reconnected even though I didn't have any interest in getting back together with him romantically given the "extra baggage" in the form of baby mamma drama. WELLLLL.....we ended up falling back in love. I rented out my house and moved in with him in his house.Then WHOOPSY DAISY... I was pregnant with my daughter three months after the twins were born. LOL My daughter and the twins (two boys) are almost exactly a year apart - June 16th and June 14th B-days. We have been married for three years as of last month and are currently lookng for a third house big enough for our growing family ( we are going to start trying for one more baby at the end of the year.) We have 50/50 custody of the boys and I can't imagine my life without them. My husband is an amazing father and a great human being and I can't imagine my life without him even considering the rough start. I don't have the nuclear family I always envisioned but that's ok because I am happy:)

We both have kids from our first marriages too.
    Everyone's family is unique :heart:
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I had just gotten out of a relationship about 3 days prior, I mean we were off and on but we made it seriously official that we were OFF.

I had plans to go dancing on New Years Eve to a band that I love and they have a great following and I had planned to go by myself as I knew I'd have plenty of dancing partners, even if they were twice my age. (I love to swing, two-step, three-step, jitterbug)

But thought what the heck...I put a quick profile online and was very direct about what I was looking for.

- Dancing Partner
    - No I'm not teaching you how to dance
    - No we're not going to dinner first
    - No you're not getting laid after

Something like that. On this site you can see who looks at your profile and this BIG, BOLD, BEAUTIFUL MAN had "checked me out" - so I did the same. 6'4, big broad shoulders, crew cut...

So I sent him a message and asked why he didn't respond. He said something like, well you know exactly what you want and I'm not it, I have two left feet, but I would love to take you to lunch today. (We only lived 20mins apart from eachother)

I was SOOOO disapointed but all the ladies at work convinced me to go to lunch. So when he pulled up in his big black chevy pickup (I'm kinda redneck like that) and stepped out and wrapped those big burly arms around me I melted!

We've been together since New Years Eve 2012 (I still went dancing by myself, darnit I LOVE TO DANCE :) and we met up later and we shared our first kiss at Midnight. I didn't know what the heck I really wanted because I found my life dancing partner in him for however long it lasts I'll dance with him. :)
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I was a 22 year old single mom of a toddler who had been separated from my ex for 6 months (marriage was over more than a year prior to that, just had to go through the legal one year separation before the divorce could be filed). He was a 30 year old hard core New Yorker with a badass tattoo. We both worked at a high end steakhouse, me as a waitress and him as a cook.

I avoided him as much as possible. He'd show up where we played pool after work or at the parties we went to. He made friends with the guys I hung out with, it was the only way he could get close to me because they were extremely overprotective of me, and I appreciated that! He kept asking me out, I kept telling him no. So he kept hanging out with us after work.

He started to grow on me. After about 6 months, he asked me to come to his apartment to watch the Super Bowl. I said okay. He gave me my first real kiss and I was pretty much hooked. That Super Bowl Sunday was on January 27th, 1991. On Valentine's Day the next month, he came home with me and never left.

We've been together for 23 years and will have been married 21 years this coming May. He is my best friend and soul mate. Yes, there have been ups and downs, but I can't imagine my life without him in it!

Aww... :flowerforyou:
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    What an awesome thread and amazing stories!

I met my husband when we both started working for the same company within a few weeks of each other. We both noticed each other, were attracted, but didn't do anything about it first because he had a girlfriend, then later I had a boyfriend. Fast forward 2 years later when I left the company for another job. I sent out a goodbye message with my personal email. He emailed me and asked me out, not knowing if I was single orr not. We were both single then. Our first five dates were magical.... perfect... we have been inseperable ever since! We were together for 4.5 years then got married, now been married 2.5 years. Can't imagine life without him. We've had a few ups and downs like anyone but overall its been a happy, effortless almost marriage. :heart:

Before I met my husband, I had always dated men that I didn't know well before we started going out. I always told my friends that I wished I could just be friends with a guy and really get to know him before starting to date. That's what happened with my husband! We worked together for 2 years, got to know each other, even met family at holiday parties, etc. He truly is my best friend. :love:
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I was at a dance hall standing by the dance floor when the random male came up to me & said, “You see that big guy with the goatee over there shooting pool?” I looked over & saw this big good looking man in a cowboy hat & some tight wranglers. I said yes and the guy said, “Oh he said he’s taking you home tonight” :noway: I literally cracked up laughing out loud, but did dance with him a few songs later when he asked.
    He was head of a night club & asked me to come see him at work sometime. About a week later I didn’t have anything to do so my girlfriend & I went to the club, when I asked the guy at the front door if the “cowboy” I met was there he radioed on the walkie talkies, and here came this big good looking man again! :love: I ended up giving him my number & before I got home he had called. We actually just talked a lot the first couple weeks (I didn’t really want to date him because I had met him in a bar and I was a single mom so I was busy plus very careful as to who I wanted my son to meet) We started talking everyday (multiple times) I would bring him dinner to the club he worked at….you know the old “a way to a man’s heart if through his stomach” adage Not long after I asked him over to have dinner at the house with my son, it was in October and my 2 year old was all excited about Halloween, well the “cowboy” was great with him & even asked to go trick or treating with me & my son…we’ve been together ever since. He raised my oldest son as his own & we had 2 children together.
    Over 18 years together, it hasn’t always been easy…but then again my momma would say nothing worth fighting for is ever easy!!

Side note: My husband can still tell you exactly what I was wearing the day he sent his roommate over to tell me he was taking me home that night!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i was born.

the world fell in love.

boom.

in all seriousness, still waiting <3<3
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I was 38 years old, newly divorced and newly sober. I wanted to do something wild - I wanted my navel pierced. I asked some of my friends with body piercings for recommendations. I got a recommendation, made an appointment (happened to be my 39th birthday), met the piercer and married him 11 months later.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I went to church in AZ with my now-husband 17 years ago, when we were 10 years old. (1995) I had a crush on him for almost that long. :) My family moved across the country when I was 12, (1998) but we stayed friends and wrote each other letters for the next 5 years or so. When I was 17 (2002) we moved back to AZ, and my family visited our old church. When I walked in, our eyes locked and I knew I was even more in love with him than I ever had been. We dated semi long distance (we lived 30 min away from each other) for a few months, than broke it off because of the distance.

Two years later (2004) we started talking again, and fell in love all over again and dated for a few months until he moved to Brazil, and we sort of put things on hold. We wrote letters for the first year (2005) he was there, then broke if off because of the distance (AGAIN). He moved back to AZ (2006), and dated another girl for 2 years, while I dated someone else too. In spring 2009 we had both ended our relationships, and found each other on Facebook. We exchanged numbers and ended up talking on the phone for four hours. A week or so after that I decided to put in all on the table and told him that I still loved him, and always had. Once he recovered from the shock, he realized he loved me too. We started dating (for the THIRD time) summer of '09. He proposed that December, and we got married Sept. 2010. Been together ever since, and are now raising our adorable munchkin toddler together.

You can't escape fate!

Awww! I wasn't expecting to find someone who met their love younger than me. It was also on the third time Mark and I dated that we finally got hitched.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I had just gotten out of a relationship about 3 days prior, I mean we were off and on but we made it seriously official that we were OFF.

I had plans to go dancing on New Years Eve to a band that I love and they have a great following and I had planned to go by myself as I knew I'd have plenty of dancing partners, even if they were twice my age. (I love to swing, two-step, three-step, jitterbug)

But thought what the heck...I put a quick profile online and was very direct about what I was looking for.

- Dancing Partner
    - No I'm not teaching you how to dance
    - No we're not going to dinner first
    - No you're not getting laid after

Something like that. On this site you can see who looks at your profile and this BIG, BOLD, BEAUTIFUL MAN had "checked me out" - so I did the same. 6'4, big broad shoulders, crew cut...

So I sent him a message and asked why he didn't respond. He said something like, well you know exactly what you want and I'm not it, I have two left feet, but I would love to take you to lunch today. (We only lived 20mins apart from eachother)

I was SOOOO disapointed but all the ladies at work convinced me to go to lunch. So when he pulled up in his big black chevy pickup (I'm kinda redneck like that) and stepped out and wrapped those big burly arms around me I melted!

We've been together since New Years Eve 2012 (I still went dancing by myself, darnit I LOVE TO DANCE :) and we met up later and we shared our first kiss at Midnight. I didn't know what the heck I really wanted because I found my life dancing partner in him for however long it lasts I'll dance with him. :)

Somehow this reminds me of the movie "Hope Floats" even if its just because Harry Connick, Jr. is hot :bigsmile:
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My husband looks like Harry Connick Jr. And of course I love all Harry Connick Jr. Movies for that reason :wink:
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I was 21, he was 32...he was our UPS driver where I worked. All of us girls absolutely loved him too but we knew we did not stand a chance. As far as we knew he was married (with 3 kids), well it turns out he was recently divorced but we did not know that. When he was ready to start dating I was the lucky girl he asked out!! However, not knowing he was divorced I told him no. The next day he brought in his divorce papers to show me it was true!! We've been together since...29 years and married 24 of those!! And I love him more today than ever...he spoils me rotten!! Together we raised our kids (he had full custody at the time they were 11, 9, and 5). While I never birthed my own children I can't imagine loving any kids more than I do mine. And trust me they are all MY babies!! They know who their momma is!!