Has the whole world been brainwashed?

Options

Replies

• wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Terms like paleo automatically make me think you're brainwashed. So, yes I agree.
    Yeah, kinda, pretty much exactly.

Most people aren't so much brainwashed as they are basically uneducated. A little education without much perspective sends a person quickly into brainwashed turf, however.
  • SweetDorothySweat
    SweetDorothySweat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Brainwashed? Nahh, but obsessive about conforming to the term "paleo", maybe! Just eat clean, aka, eat mostly REAL food, even if it means buying spelt tortillas because you don't have time to make everything from scratch. Read ingredients and make sure you know what they are. Eat less sugar, like 35gr a day or less, eat more protein, like 1gr per pound of your weight. I eat 1.5/lb because I want to be ripped, but yeah, don't stress about being paleo...whether this fad is healthy or not, it is not too mentally healthy to freak out over some sour cream or something not being paleo. =D
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    But we ARE designed to love the flavors of sugar, fat, and salt, because if we lived in a world of deprivation, those things would help us stay alive. The problem isn't our lust for survival - it's our changed environment and recent surplus of easy calories.
  • triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I agree with this post. Our bodies were made to digest natural foods. Most of the food industry will do whatever they can-be it using chemicals, hormones on the animals, or fillers in the food-to spend less on making a product... Most people don't even know what's really in their food and don't even think about it! I know I didn't used to. Now I read labels before consuming something.

Also, to those who said your diary contradicts the post, I believe they missed the part that said "I don't have the most clean diet yet." Even when one is informed about these types of things, it is difficult to change they way they have been eating all their life.

Edited to say: I don't really know anything about paleo, I just agree that people should be informed about what's actually in their food and strive to eat all natural.
  • annanderson77985
    annanderson77985 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    But we ARE designed to love the flavors of sugar, fat, and salt, because if we lived in a world of deprivation, those things would help us stay alive. The problem isn't our lust for survival - it's our changed environment and recent surplus of easy calories.

^This

We live in an age of abundance where food is concerned, and we generally don't labor for a living like past generations.. My grandparents would have scoffed at the need to 'exercise'.. by the time they got finished with the physical work that they had to do just to survive, they'd done more in one day than most of us do in a month..
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I never eat dirty. I wash everything really well before I eat it

So my practice of throwing it on the floor and stomping on it first isn't a good one? Shucks. *kicks rocks* Maybe bleach next time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I laugh at paleo. How long did those people live again... 20 years? And I'm sure they were all spending their time at the computer too.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I think that the paleo ideal is a good place to start from, it opens up a lot of very interesting and very accurate information. Plus I think the idea of paleo has evolved quite a bit from what most people make it out to be. It is not simply eating like our ancestors any more
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I laugh at paleo. How long did those people live again... 20 years? And I'm sure they were all spending their time at the computer too.

^This. Those folks from the past were paleo because they had no choice.
  • digitalsteel
    Options

Do you think that most of the food produced and boxed today with the chemicals used, tend to be better than fresh vegetables or grass fed beef?

Because I don't think they are, and have had far more success eliminating them than not.
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    can we start an english -v- american food dictionary ? someone please tell me what a twinkie is , im googling twinkie and getting a picture of a fluroescent yellow log stuffed with white gunge oozing out lol and while your at it what on earth are grits?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Do you think that most of the food produced and boxed today with the chemicals used, tend to be better than fresh vegetables or grass fed beef?

Because I don't think they are, and have had far more success eliminating them than not.

Are you familiar with the straw man argument as a logical fallacy?
  • CaddieMay
    Options

Did I say that the "food produced and boxed today with the chemicals used, tend to be better than fresh vegetables or grass fed beef?" No, I didn't. But I'm glad you are finding success with eliminating them. :drinker:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    can we start an english -v- american food dictionary ? someone please tell me what a twinkie is , im googling twinkie and getting a picture of a fluroescent yellow log stuffed with white gunge oozing out lol and while your at it what on earth are grits?

You've found the right picture of a Twinkie. It's a cake piece with cream stuffed into it. SOOO GOOD. We even deep fry 'em out here sometimes.

I think grits are a form of cooking oatmeal grains. I'm not sure about that, though.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

You've found the right picture of a Twinkie. It's a cake piece with cream stuffed into it. SOOO GOOD. We even deep fry 'em out here sometimes.

I think grits are a form of cooking oatmeal grains. I'm not sure about that, though.

Grits are ground corn, and they are very popular in the southeastern U.S. primarily as a breakfast food, though you really haven't experienced Southern food until you've had shrimp and grits. They remain a regional staple. I grew up on them and love them.
  • CaddieMay
    Options

Grits are ground corn, and they are very popular in the southeastern U.S. primarily as a breakfast food, though you really haven't experienced Southern cousin until you've had shrimp and grits. They remain a regional staple. I grew up on them and love them.

I always that grits were made of wheat. Guess that's why I'm a Yankee-girl.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    OP wheat and diary are fine for us to eat. You're essentially saying meat isn't designed for us to eat because cavemen and women accidentally discovered fire. Or water isn't meant to be drunk because we've cleaned it. Neither of these things are "designed" for us to eat or drink if they came as they are - raw meat and recycled piss.
    Great I been hearing so much about Paleao diet now I have to Google it..
    Tonight homework: Find out if Im brain washed
    Eat
    Watch TV
    Search Paleao diet one more time to be clear Im not brain washed

Hi. You're cute x
  • digitalsteel
    Options

Are you familiar with the straw man argument as a logical fallacy?

I don't understand your perspective on what I stated. I am not refuting the paleo diet, I am just pointing out it's merits. Just because those similarities exist does not make this a straw man argument, I refuted neither one. In order for it to be a straw man argument I would need to refute the paleo diet, but then create an argument that was superficially similar. An argument that points to worthwhile parts within an argument is a very different thing.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I'm from Scotland but yes, that's basically what a twinkie is - it's like a golden syrup cake bar with a creamy filling. You can get them in the american sweet shops (if you have any nearby) that sell other confectionary from the states like tootsie-roll pops and such (they have Wonka bars too!)...but I'm getting ahead of myself.

OP...what was your main point in saying everyone's been brainwashed because it seemed more of a rant than anything else.

P.S. Loving the uncle bens express rice on your profile pic had that for my dinner tonight :tongue:
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    i didn't read all the responses, but i want to add, it's not like the chemical companies etc went around thinking "how can we destroy the planet?" it happened quite organically.
    If I'm in business to make money on food, i want my product to be more appealing than the next guy for less money. I will hire people to help me find ways to do this. It turns out that food with more fat tastes better. OK add more fat. It turns out that enough fat and salt the food will create cravings for more... what person selling it doesn't want their food to cause cravings! I get my jollies when someone asks me to make them my awesome enchiladas. I've perfected a recipe that makes people want more, win!
    It's all about maximizing profits. I don't expect kraft to care that they are poisoning my kids with their orange food colored rediculously sugar laden pasta side dish... They have perfected something akin to kid crap. I don't blame them, it came aobut on it's own. Given the more natural choice my kids will simply pass on mac and cheese from a box.
    It sucks. I'm addicted to yummy unhealthy food too. I FREAKING LOVE twizzlers. It's because they are engineered to give me happy feelings. I don't eat them because I'm trying to lose weight, and it will be a battle forever and forever the end.
    /rant