read up some more
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Illuminati
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I cannot literally believe some of the things I hear or read about nutrition and diet. Everything is so contradicting and I now have to question everything that I've ever believed.

Surely I am not the only one that feels this way?

Okay, so I don't have the cleanest diet yet, but I'm getting there. By clean, I mean relatively paleo

But WHY are doctors and nutritionists telling us this!

It's not rocket science is it. All this unnatural, processed food (wheat and dairy included), how can this possibly be good for us when we aren't actually designed to eat it. You'd consider feeding a lion fruit pastels outrageous right?

Yet few people seemed to have considered the effect of what they eat.

It makes me feel disgusted, I want to question everything!!!

Because science.

This was really all there was to say.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    It's not rocket science is it.
    Some rocket scientists are fat. Even they can't figure this out.
    I question everything but I'm not disgusted, just skeptical. It's not a bad way to be.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I laugh at paleo. How long did those people live again... 20 years? And I'm sure they were all spending their time at the computer too.

^This. Those folks from the past were paleo because they had no choice.

Do you think that most of the food produced and boxed today with the chemicals used, tend to be better than fresh vegetables or grass fed beef?

Because I don't think they are, and have had far more success eliminating them than not.

Many ancient people could live WELL beyond 20 years, especially provided they avoided the most common fatalities (injuries, accidents, and getting eaten). It's a common misconception that paleolithic people did not reach the ages we see today.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Only an affluent society can worry about things like this. The rest will eat what it can get.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

Grits are ground corn, and they are very popular in the southeastern U.S. primarily as a breakfast food, though you really haven't experienced Southern cousin until you've had shrimp and grits. They remain a regional staple. I grew up on them and love them.
    I always that grits were made of wheat. Guess that's why I'm a Yankee-girl.
    I'm a Yankee, married to a Southerner. I'll never forget the first time I went to visit his family and saw Quaker Instant Grits in the grocery store. Like, who knew they existed?
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I laugh at paleo. How long did those people live again... 20 years? And I'm sure they were all spending their time at the computer too.

Do you think that most of the food produced and boxed today with the chemicals used, tend to be better than fresh vegetables or grass fed beef?

Because I don't think they are, and have had far more success eliminating them than not.

Many ancient people could live WELL beyond 20 years, especially provided they avoided the most common fatalities (injuries, accidents, and getting eaten). It's a common misconception that paleolithic people commonly died very young.

That is a good point
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I cannot literally believe some of the things I hear or read about nutrition and diet. Everything is so contradicting and I now have to question everything that I've ever believed.

Surely I am not the only one that feels this way?

Okay, so I don't have the cleanest diet yet, but I'm getting there. By clean, I mean relatively paleo

But WHY are doctors and nutritionists telling us this!

It's not rocket science is it. All this unnatural, processed food (wheat and dairy included), how can this possibly be good for us when we aren't actually designed to eat it. You'd consider feeding a lion fruit pastels outrageous right?

Yet few people seemed to have considered the effect of what they eat.

I don't know what fruit pastels are, but I know that you can drive yourself crazy worrying about all this. It seems to me that if you just eat everything in moderation, you'll probably be okay. I mean, it wasn't too long ago that "scientists" were saying that eggs were going to kill us all. You can ask 10 different "experts" what's "healthy" and you'll get 10 different answer. We are all gonna die of something...I'd rather die of food than die of stress about food.

^^^ this woman is healthy!!! You have to listen to her:)
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Are you familiar with the straw man argument as a logical fallacy?

I don't understand your perspective on what I stated. I am not refuting the paleo diet, I am just pointing out it's merits. Just because those similarities exist does not make this a straw man argument, I refuted neither one. In order for it to be a straw man argument I would need to refute the paleo diet, but then create an argument that was superficially similar. An argument that points to worthwhile parts within an argument is a very different thing.

Never mind. If you're not arguing in favor of paleo then I have no idea what how we are supposed to interpret your posts. I took your argument to be in favor of paleo by comparing processed foods against fresh vegetables and quality beef. Paleo is not the only approach that would support that.
  • digitalsteel
    Options

I don't understand your perspective on what I stated. I am not refuting the paleo diet, I am just pointing out it's merits. Just because those similarities exist does not make this a straw man argument, I refuted neither one. In order for it to be a straw man argument I would need to refute the paleo diet, but then create an argument that was superficially similar. An argument that points to worthwhile parts within an argument is a very different thing.

Never mind. If you're not arguing in favor of paleo then I have no idea what how we are supposed to interpret your posts. I took your argument to be in favor of paleo by comparing processed foods against fresh vegetables and quality beef. Paleo is not the only approach that would support that.

I was responding to someone who stated they laughed at the term paleo because of what they believe it stood for, and I pointed out merits of the paleo diet that make sense to me.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

I was responding to someone who stated they laughed at the term paleo because of what they believe it stood for, and I pointed out merits of the paleo diet that make sense to me.

Yes, and to argue in favor of paleo by making that comparison is a straw man argument. Many of us that are not on paleo still eat plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits, and quality meat. We just also happen to eat dairy, grains and legumes. The arguments against paleo have nothing to do with fresh vegetables.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

I am waiting for the Ancient Egyptian Agricultural Diet - never seen a picture of a fat mummy! Plus I like chickpeas and beer.
  • digitalsteel
    Options

Yes, and to argue in favor of paleo by making that comparison is a straw man argument. Many of us that are not on paleo still eat plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits, and quality meat. We just also happen to eat dairy, grains and legumes. The arguments against paleo have nothing to do with fresh vegetables.

I think you misunderstand the straw man argument then, because I didn't make one... To do this I would need to make an argument that was practically the same one, and refute the argument, without refuting the original position. I did neither of these things.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

Unless you are one of the RAW caveman eaters, then you eat things that are natural but procecessed, which isn't always bad.
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options

Grits are ground corn, and they are very popular in the southeastern U.S. primarily as a breakfast food, though you really haven't experienced Southern cousin until you've had shrimp and grits. They remain a regional staple. I grew up on them and love them.
    I always that grits were made of wheat. Guess that's why I'm a Yankee-girl.
    I'm a Yankee, married to a Southerner. I'll never forget the first time I went to visit his family and saw Quaker Instant Grits in the grocery store. Like, who knew they existed?

Haven't you ever seen "My Cousin Vinny"?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In for the fruit pastels. Because they sound yummy and colorful.

How do we know lions don't like them, BTW?

Because lions are carnivores.

BUT dey so naaaiceee.
    (they're like gummy fruit flavoured sweets with a sugary coating for anyone outside the UK...)

Then what are they like for anyone *inside* the UK?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It's because there are very few absolutes in nutritional science (which in itself is a relatively new field) and we have a certain degree of biochemical individuality.

Reaching consensus will therefore be unlikely for many issues.

It is, to a large degree, finding what works for you through experimentation as a result.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Cause it tastes so damn good ...I joke...I have no real answer

You may be closer to the truth than you might think. I have often felt that if a person's sense of taste and smell could be eliminated, they would only eat when hungry...and thus never overeat. Personally, I know for a fact that I have continued to stuff my face LONG AFTER I was full.:smile:

I actually lost my sense of taste a smell a few years ago - it was not fun at all and oddly I didn't eat less, I ate more as I was trying to get a taste of anything :noway: I think you'd have to be born this way. And I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I am currently enjoying a taste of my unclean wine :drinker:
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

I think you misunderstand the straw man argument then, because I didn't make one... To do this I would need to make an argument that was practically the same one, and refute the argument, without refuting the original position. I did neither of these things.

No. I clearly do not misunderstand logic. I cannot follow your posts, however, so the discussion is a waste of my time.