Has the whole world been brainwashed?

Options

Replies

• metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    In for the fruit pastels. Because they sound yummy and colorful.

How do we know lions don't like them, BTW?

Because lions are carnivores.

Dogs are too, but I have a Siberian Husky who goes berserk for carrots.

Dogs are actually omnivores, cats are carnivores. True story.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I cannot literally believe some of the things I hear or read about nutrition and diet. Everything is so contradicting and I now have to question everything that I've ever believed.

Surely I am not the only one that feels this way?

Okay, so I don't have the cleanest diet yet, but I'm getting there. By clean, I mean relatively paleo

But WHY are doctors and nutritionists telling us this!

It's not rocket science is it. All this unnatural, processed food (wheat and dairy included), how can this possibly be good for us when we aren't actually designed to eat it. You'd consider feeding a lion fruit pastels outrageous right?

Yet few people seemed to have considered the effect of what they eat.

It makes me feel disgusted, I want to question everything!!!

Personally, I believe nutritional science (and the world in general) can all be explained via quantum mechanics:

The observer creates reality, classically shown in the double slit experiment in which electrons become aware of being observed and therefore change their behavior.

In other words, observers create reality through the act of observation.

So if you want to create a study in which you prove that you can lose weight and improve critical health markers while eating nothing but Twinkies (like this one here: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html) you very well may be successful, BUT THAT DOESN'T GO TO SHOW THAT THE 'ONLY' OR 'CORRECT' WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT AND BECOME HEALTHY IS BY EATING TWINKIES... or eating paleo for that matter...

What's healthy and what's not is whatever we decide it to be. Nothing in nutrition (or life in general) is absolute truth.

Ultimately, the 'correct' way of eating to lose weight and stay healthy is whatever way enables YOU to lose weight and stay healthy.

Perhaps for some that means eating like a caveman, but for others it may mean eating Cheetos in your underwear while simultaneously performing Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred with one leg behind your ear and singing "Big Girls Don't Cry"... Either way, you my friend, are a nutritional genus.

P.S.

If you continue looking for the 'ONE ULTIMATE ANSWER' to all your problems you will quite literally drive yourself insane.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    P.S.

If you continue looking for the 'ONE ULTIMATE ANSWER' to all your problems you will quite literally drive yourself insane.
    That, and many philosophers theorize that if both the Ultimate Question and the Ultimate Answer were ever to be found at the same time then the Universe would disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

(Other philosophers conject that this has already happened.)
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I love the 'eat raw food' argument... yes, fruit. Vegetables.. no, have you ever wondered how many thousands of years we have had fire? And how our ancestors must have been like 'holy moly, so THATS what roasted potatoes/wild carrots/hazelnuts taste' .... dont you think if they thought it was bad to eat, they wouldnt have carried on cooking all those vegetables for thousands of years?
  • vara123
    vara123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I laugh at paleo. How long did those people live again... 20 years? And I'm sure they were all spending their time at the computer too.

^This. Those folks from the past were paleo because they had no choice.

I am waiting for the Ancient Egyptian Agricultural Diet - never seen a picture of a fat mummy! Plus I like chickpeas and beer.

Or the Mesolithic diet - you'd spend so much time winkle picking, there wouldn't be time to eat anything else. I'm so going to try this. Just got to work out where to put my midden...
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't want to say it was aliens but.....

It was aliens.

9189283.jpg?1312526309

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I LOVE that guy. This post just made my morning!
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    YOU MUST NEVER EAT BREAD, must be true an internet Guru wrote that...DAM you Guru! For now I have to throw my crab meat and rocket sandwich in the bin, pull on some vibrams and run after a chicken ffs :wink:

BRIAN: 'You are all individuals!!!'
    CROWD: 'We are all individuals!!!'......
    (loan voice says): 'Im Not!
  • rebeccalouu
    Options
    I guess some people don't care.

Yes I know eating clean is ideal, but not realistic. But isn't that because we aren't really given a choice? Its expensive and inconvenient, and we are targeted with this crap left right and centre.

The misconception about our ancestors not living long.. Sorry, thats nothing to do with diet and exercise. They had a lot more to content with, and given that they didn't have doctors and medicine they probably living around the same period of time we would without all the medical help we get. And don't forget, cancers and heart disease are modern day illnesses.

Also, somebody was ranting on about evolution.. Evolution, seriously? Actually, we have not evolved much from an ancestored. In terms of how our body's function its all the same! So yes, eating unnatural food is of course going to effect us. Its essentially poison!

And wheat and dairy thing, again a little bit poisonous! I mean, why do people think that a large percentage of people are intolerant to this stuff?

And yes, if you can tolerate wheat and dairy, and eat processed food, great! But its not fair to say that your fine because of it. We haven't actually be eating this foods in the quantities that we consume them for long enough to actually find out the true repercussions of it.

I just find this topic interesting because of its uncertainty.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    There is a good reason to keep processed, mass-produced food to a minimum and it's nothing to do with eating Paleo...it's to do with politics.

A diet high in mass-produced, processed food is a diet that is feeding a relatively small number multi-national leviathans of corporations who do everything possible to 'minimise tax burden' in any single country, quite often pay sub-standard wages to workers on zero hour contracts and beat the food producers, the farmers, into the dust in order to maximise their own enormous profit margins.

A diet high in raw food ingredients that you buy from independent shops and cook yourself or produced dishes made locally by cottage industries benefits your local community. Our town has a 30 mile food zone in operation and the result has been that restaurants and retailers are sourcing from local farmers and producers. It's meant an increase in high quality food, from oak smoked bacon made from free-range, organic rare-breed pork through to bread made from local crops that are stone ground locally and baked by local bakers through to beer and wine from local vineyards and micro-breweries.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I cannot literally believe some of the things I hear or read about nutrition and diet. Everything is so contradicting and I now have to question everything that I've ever believed.

Surely I am not the only one that feels this way?

Okay, so I don't have the cleanest diet yet, but I'm getting there. By clean, I mean relatively paleo

But WHY are doctors and nutritionists telling us this!

It's not rocket science is it. All this unnatural, processed food (wheat and dairy included), how can this possibly be good for us when we aren't actually designed to eat it. You'd consider feeding a lion fruit pastels outrageous right?

Yet few people seemed to have considered the effect of what they eat.

It makes me feel disgusted, I want to question everything!!!

because "clean eating" is just scientifically not justified.. u think the body can tell if the micronutrients/macronutrients come from organic vegetables or non-organic vegetables? organic bread, or non organic bread? white potatoes or sweet potatoes? brown rice or white rice? cashews or almonds? farm raised beef or hormone beef?

no

does the stomach have a camera that sees u eating pizza and says this is going straight to fat storage?

no

sure there are health scares with eating mass produced food with hormones, pesticides or whatever but do you know how much you would have to consume to yield any type of health damages?? and how would you know the health problems are from the food and not your extremely large portions, lack of exercise, and smoking habits??

outside of things like trans fats, and HFCS, its mostly speculated with no REAL data on the issue, anyone can pick and choose studies on this and the real key to optimal health is

....exercise and moderation.

I disagree. one example. Grass fed beef vs grain/corn fed has a much higher omega 3 to omega 6 ratio. The majority of the fat found in non grass fed beef is polyunsaturated which can cause inflammation and damage to the artery walls in those quantities. All observational studies I've read do them on normal beef, not grass fed. This is why said studies tell people to shy away from fat and meat. This however is not the same thing at all as grass fed beef. There is a big difference, and it is very much so scientifically justified.
    There's almost no polyunsaturated fat in beef, comparatively speaking. And the omega ratios are similar.
  • julieharrell1
    julieharrell1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There is alot of money to be made by selling people overly processed foods with cheap worthless ingredients like gluten and soy. Companies like Monsanto are probably signing your doctor's paycheck. That's why he tells you that wheat is good for you.
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    Yes I understand your point seriously though, I agree eat as clean as you can, and in many tragic ways we have polluted our food chain, but we are all individually unique, some of us have adapted to eat grains and harvested farmed foods through many generations over thousands of years some have not, so yes Paleo is a good concept but its not going to apply for everyone, you would have to profile your individual genetic geanological ancestral line, and undergo allergy test on thousands of substances to truly know the best for any individual, I would say that clean organic food (home grown if possible) is certainly the right track.

This article is very interesting, its about how the people in the mid Victorian period had the best diet health and longevity, well worth a read.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2672390/

Here is a quick snip from the article:

The mid-Victorian period is usually defined as the years between 1850 and 1870, but in nutritional terms we have identified a slightly longer period, lasting until around 1880. During these 30 years, we argue here, a generation grew up with probably the best standards of health ever enjoyed by a modern state. The British population had risen significantly and had become increasingly urbanised, but the great public health movement had not yet been established and Britain’s towns and cities were still notoriously unhealthy environments [4,5]. Despite this, and contrary to historical tradition, we argue in this paper, using a range of historical evidence, which Britain and its world-dominating empire were supported by a workforce, an army and a navy comprised of individuals who were healthier, fitter and stronger than we are today. They were almost entirely free of the degenerative diseases which maim and kill so many of us, and although it is commonly stated that this is because they all died young, the reverse is true; public records reveal that they lived as long – or longer – than we do in the 21st century.

These findings are remarkable, as this brief period of great good health predates not only the public health movement but also the great 20th century medical advances in surgery, infection control and drugs [6–8]. They are also in marked contrast to popular views about Victorian squalor and disease, views that have long obscured the realities of life and death during that ‘period of equipoise’
  • Matt_1972
    Matt_1972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to base major lifestyle choices on the choices, or lack there of, made by a group of people who at the very extreme were lucky to live past about 45.
    They didn't get cancer, they didn't get this, they didn't get that. Yeah cause they were dead and buried well before any disease had a chance to get them.
    Paleo is a fad just like any diet and it will soon be as extinct as the people it purports to emulate.

In terms of what the OP said I have no idea what his question was.
  • TeresaAlice1968
    TeresaAlice1968 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hmm not sure why everyone is being so rude:( Post had alot of merit to it....
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    People will see what they want, for example I wasn't rude, I agreed with clean eating but my comments went mostly overlooked:huh:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    This is a great point actually!! People don't think or realize that what they eat effects not only their physical appearance( weight) but their minds, energy, hair, skin.... Everything!

People are suppose to eat raw foods. Veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, grains like rice, quinoa, millet... Not wheat. Meat.... I don't think so.. Maybe fish but when we eat large amounts of meat, those specific protiens screw with our bodies. And your right, dairy is something we can't digest properly. People now eat because it is an addiction, or whatever the reason ( processed food taste so good) not because they are hungry. We are suppose to eat for energy, not because we are hungry.

I personally think that alot of doctors may not know the importance of eating "clean" or perhaps they have given up trying to convice people to change. Hey! After watching "super size me" people still eat mcDonalds food so it doesnt matter what you do, people will only change what they eat, if they want to.

I also think all the processed foods, chemicals, additives, preservatives play a big part in all our disesases... Cancer!!

A good book that supports this is " you are what you eat" by Gillian mckeith.

Good point! And we have been brainwashed!!

Hmmmmm... while I do love fresh food I would take anything "Doctor" Gillian McKeith says with a big handful of (organic) salt.

There was a really good article in The Guardian a while back about her false claims, fake qualifications and litigious nature: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/feb/12/advertising.food

IMO the writer summed it up really well:

And that's the most sinister feature of the whole nutritionist project, graphically exemplified by McKeith: it's a manifesto of rightwing individualism - you are what you eat, and people die young because they deserve it. They choose death, through ignorance and laziness, but you choose life, fresh fish, olive oil, and that's why you're healthy. You're going to see 78. You deserve it. Not like them.

Or to put it more simply (for a bit of fun!)...

4f6452c1-3f3a-4c39-a340-a2ec2cb9b43c_zps46b8d8eb.jpg
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    If the lion's not allowed the fruit pastilles can I have them...? :huh:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I don't know what fruit pastels are, but I know that you can drive yourself crazy worrying about all this. It seems to me that if you just eat everything in moderation, you'll probably be okay. I mean, it wasn't too long ago that "scientists" were saying that eggs were going to kill us all. You can ask 10 different "experts" what's "healthy" and you'll get 10 different answer. We are all gonna die of something...I'd rather die of food than die of stress about food.

I am several red wines to the good (or bad, depending on your moral compass) but this is quote worthy in the extreme. :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Hmm not sure why everyone is being so rude:( Post had alot of merit to it....

Because there are a lot of cowards hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet?

Just a guess ...