Do BMI's seem unrealistic to anyone else?

Options

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    How many obese people actually have a "bigger build" and how many just think they do because they've always been overweight? I ask because im seeing a trend...

I agree. I think saying that one would look "unhealthy" at a "normal" BMI is a cop out to stay overweight and feel better about it. FTR: I'm 5'6" and 119 lbs. Low end of BMI.
  • heathermnrd
    Options
    How many obese people actually have a "bigger build" and how many just think they do because they've always been overweight? I ask because im seeing a trend...

I agree. I think saying that one would look "unhealthy" at a "normal" BMI is a cop out to stay overweight and feel better about it. FTR: I'm 5'6" and 119 lbs. Low end of BMI.

agree. how can someone say they would look unhealthy at a weight theyve never seen themselves? or at a weight they havent seen in decades...bodies do change.

im 5'2" and 146 lbs which makes me 10 lbs overweight...and i am overweight thats why im here trying to lose about 20 lbs.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    IMO, BMI is pretty much useless. It does not consider body composition.

Since we are all different there will be a certain percentage of people it works for. But there will be many who have higher BMIs because of a healthy amount of LBM. There will also be many who have low, healthy range BMIs who are skinny fat with very little LBM.

According to a BMI calculator the healthy weight range for me is 101 - 141. My LBM is currently in the middle of that range & I plan to add more. I really don't want to ever weigh in anywhere in that range because it is unrealistic if I am actually going to be as healthy & fit as I plan to get.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    For some, BMI is completely unrealistic. I am one of those individuals. When I get to around my goal weight, I actually look like I'm in the low to mid 100's but actually weigh in in the mid 200's. This is because of the VERY large bone frame, and dense bone structure. I also tend to have very dense muscles when I'm anywhere close to "in shape", but if I take the measurements for the hip-to-waist ratio along with my actual weight, I always come out well into the mid range, if not top end of over weight. I dread to think what I would look like if I were to actually get down to the "recommended" BMI weight of 160! I, personally, do not think that the anorexic look is a good look for me.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    For some, BMI is completely unrealistic. I am one of those individuals. When I get to around my goal weight, I actually look like I'm in the low to mid 100's but actually weigh in in the mid 200's. This is because of the VERY large bone frame, and dense bone structure. I also tend to have very dense muscles when I'm anywhere close to "in shape", but if I take the measurements for the hip-to-waist ratio along with my actual weight, I always come out well into the mid range, if not top end of over weight. I dread to think what I would look like if I were to actually get down to the "recommended" BMI weight of 160! I, personally, do not think that the anorexic look is a good look for me.

Every one of these posts is identical. Its pretty indicative of our culture... the self-delusion is incredible.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options

the BMI scale hasn't changed since it was designed in the 1850s... we have.

Just because it has remained largely unchanged for so long doesn’t mean it’s prudent to leave it that way or to use it in the same manner. There has been a lot of progress, some of it recent, since the 1850s that have changed how we approach public and individual health. Heat sterilization of surgical instruments and using sterile gowns, caps, masks, and rubber gloves in surgery all came after the 1850s. Louis Pasteur’s work and many vaccinations that have taken the average life expectancy of newborns from their late-30s in 1850 and sent it up into their mid-80s in 2000 (http://mappinghistory.uoregon.edu/english/US/US39-01.html) post-dated the creation of the BMI. Relatively recently, battlefield medicine was revolutionized by abandoning the “use a tourniquet as a last result, because it might cause tissue damage” mindset and replacing it with one that says “feel free to use tourniquets because the damage isn’t as bad as we once thought and it’s still preferable for an individual to lose a limb in order to save his life”. We simply have to remain open to the idea that we may now possess a better idea of the health and care of populations than Mr. Quetelet had.

For the OP:
    First, I must ask what you mean by “realistic”. If you’re talking about if it’s attainable, then the answer will largely be “yes”. If you mean that it’s a reliable indicator of your health, the answer becomes more of a “maybe, maybe not” issue.

The only time I’ve been in a “normal” BMI range was when I was going through chemotherapy, and I will tell everyone right here right-freaking-now that I, personally, was NOT healthy. When you don’t have the strength to stand unassisted and you can’t walk or shuffle for a few meters without feeling fatigued, you are NOT healthy. And I only barely made it into that “normal” range. But, on the other hand, my mother is in the “normal” range and doing fine. Not only that, but between daily walks and lap swimming three days a week, she’s even fairly active.

The big issue is the reason why you’re using the BMI.

According to the CDC in reference to individuals using the BMI (not populations) (http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/index.html):
    The BMI is “a fairly reliable indicator of body fatness for most people”. They go on to say that it can correlate to direct measures of body fat and can be considered an alternative for these measures, especially because it is an easy screening method to perform.

But they also say that “BMI is not a diagnostic tool. For example, a person may have a high BMI. However, to determine if excess weight is a health risk, a healthcare provider would need to perform further assessments. These assessments might include skinfold thickness measurements, evaluations of diet, physical activity, family history, and other appropriate health screenings.”

So the BMI is really best used as a quick, easy, screening tool. It can give you a general idea about your body and you don’t need any training except how to use a calculator. But it is far from being the be-all and end-all as far as health is concerned. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to take your BMI (regardless of what it is), go to a doctor, and say “My BMI is X. How does that compare to my actual situation as far as health and health risk, and where do I go from here?”.

Don’t just sit back and say “BMI is silly, so I’ll ignore it”. Even if only “fairly reliable” for “most people”, it is still a usable, if rough, screening tool. If someone has a high BMI, they should make sure they’re talking to their doctors and not simply shrugging it off as a muscle or physical build issue. The doctor will be the one with the tools to say what that individual’s weight comes from.

Conversely, people also shouldn’t say “My BMI says I’m fine, so I don’t need to worry”. Just because you’re not heavy doesn’t mean there isn’t something wrong. My grandfather was given a clean bill of health only days before dropping dead. There was no problem with his weight, but the plaque buildup in his arteries caused a heart attack that killed him in his sleep. Recently, there was a study that said “overweight” people (I don’t know if this was judged on BMI or some other factor) seemed to live longer than “normal” people. Some jumped the gun and assumed that it must mean it’s physically better to be overweight. I tend to agree with the counter argument that the cause may be people in a “normal” range may not feel as compelled to go to the doctor for checkups like “overweight” individuals.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    BMI measurement came out in the 1800s. I think science has come a way regarding human phisiology since then, it's amazing to me that BMI has somehow remained a standard.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Who the hell wants to live their entire life trying to fit a bunch of numbers? Eat mostly health a lot of the time, exercise a good amount, but don't miss out on a few beers and a good burger every once in awhile just because you're worried about being "normal."
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options

agree. how can someone say they would look unhealthy at a weight theyve never seen themselves? or at a weight they havent seen in decades...bodies do change.

im 5'2" and 146 lbs which makes me 10 lbs overweight...and i am overweight thats why im here trying to lose about 20 lbs.

I can. If I lost 40 pounds to get to my acceptable bmi I would look horrible.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    BMI measurement came out in the 1800s. I think science has come a way regarding human phisiology since then, it's amazing to me that BMI has somehow remained a standard.

We, however, have not evolved since then. It's remained standard because its a good metric to apply to overall populations.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

According to who, and based on what?
  • tarac98
    tarac98 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY hate when a doctor looks at a chart and says "your ideal weight is 110-130" that seems so generic to me!
  • heathermnrd
    Options

how can you say that without seeing it? a good healthy, toned you at a healthy BMI not skinny pasty pale i didnt eat for a month to get here looking but healthy looking...how can you say that wouldnt look good without seeing it?
  • ChgingMe
    Options

Every one of these posts is identical. Its pretty indicative of our culture... the self-delusion is incredible.

Aww. Not everyone is delusional. Really. I had been feeling some kind of way about this like I said. Just had a talk with 4 of my coworkers. One being the most brutally honest person on the planet, with no filter. (we have a love hate relationship. lol) all agree I in no way look obese. Ms. Brutallity told me aside from my pudgey middle I barely look overweight.LMBO.. I love her.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

We, however, have not evolved since then. It's remained standard because its a good metric to apply to overall populations.

What?! No.... has nothing to do with evolution.

It's remained a standard because not everybody can afford to have density tests performed on their bodies every week. So doctors give them something that is easily calculated. Simplicity means more people will do it. Rough BF% can be done pretty damn close just no one bothers to do it or does it wrong.
  • ChgingMe
    Options

According to who, and based on what?
    According to my body type. 20 pounds would do me good. 40 would kill me. That would have me in about a size 0. Too dag on skinny for a woman my age.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I agree with the following things:

1) For most of the population, BMI can be applied. This really isn't about looks, but about health indicators as mentioned before.

2) There are true exceptions; however, some people falsely think they are the exception. Just saying you're an athlete doesn't cut it... There are overweight athletes. (Think sumo wrestlers!)

3) Our perceptions of 'normal' and 'healthy' have changed as, as a society, we've gotten bigger, which influences how we interpret the BMI scale.

Personally, I find it frustrating when I'm talking to someone who thinks they are a normal weight, that BMI is a bunch of hooey, when their stomachs are sticking out further than their breasts. Really? C'mon. Also, clothing sizes are NOT a good indicator because there is a lot of variance with time and designers. It's no secret that more expensive brands will be more generous in attempt to flatter you and get to buy their product. Also, in general, sizes have become bigger over the last 50 years to accommodate our growing waistlines!

I'm by no means fat (5'5" 118ish). I feel skinny in America, but when I went to Europe-- oh boy-- I felt bigger, that's for sure. Americans have a funny view of healthy weights!
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Have most of those who are saying they're big boned actually checked?
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's been shown that BMI is no worse than skinfold tests and bioelectrical impedance. That's why we keep using it.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Aww. Not everyone is delusional. Really. I had been feeling some kind of way about this like I said. Just had a talk with 4 of my coworkers. One being the most brutally honest person on the planet, with no filter. (we have a love hate relationship. lol) all agree I in no way look obese. Ms. Brutallity told me aside from my pudgey middle I barely look overweight.LMBO.. I love her.

The poster I quoted claimed 260 pounds on a 5'8" shouldn't be called obese because she's got "dense muscles"

really?

I think its great that everyone on here is doing something to change their lives for the better, and I understand taking things one step at a time, but pragmatism and reality can only help you.