Do BMI's seem unrealistic to anyone else?

Options

Replies

• tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I am a 43/m who is 5'11" tall. Per the BMI, I should be 137-179 pounds. At present, I am 205 pounds. I started my journey last 5-18-2012. I was 238 lbs. I personally would be overjoyed if I hit the high 180s to low 190s. If one has any muscle mass at all, it throws the BMI off. I don't ever want to be below 170 lbs. I would be pleased if I hit 179. However, if I do get to the 180s, I will be ready to rock and roll.

As stated before I am 205 pounds and my BMI is 28.7. I have also lost 5.5 inches around my waist. Part of this issue is the hypothyroidism that I discovered last year. I take levothyroxine every morning. I work out 4-5 days a week (mostly cardio). I use myfitnesspal.com as my calorie guide. My next major goal is to below 200 lbs. I have not been that since the 1990s.
  • theblackspot
    theblackspot Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wonder what gymnasts, and swimmers and cyclists, and runners or highschool basketball players weigh? Bet they fit in their bmi. Me? I'm over weight. But working on it.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I wonder what gymnasts, and swimmers and cyclists, and runners or highschool basketball players weigh? Bet they fit in their bmi. Me? I'm over weight. But working on it.

Nope. Jordan was obese at the height of his career according to his BMI
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    was expecting some sassy responses to the last few posts...

Nothing???

:-)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

The poor man hit the height of his career in high school? I thought that only happened to total losers!
  • aliciaje
    aliciaje Posts: 83
    Options
    Hmm just for fun I put in all the forwards of the LA Kings into the BMI calculator. I would doubt anyone would argue that these guys are not in peak physical condition with low body fat %'s. Only 3 out of 14 were in the "normal' bmi the lowest being 6'1, 187lbs 24.7BMI. The highest BMI was 29. Most ranged in the 26-28 zone.
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    i honestly couldn't care less about the BMI. according to it, i should be on my deathbed as i am considered "morbidly obese." my healthy weight range is between 117 and 155.....and i think i would be happiest with the higher weigh in. i can't imagine how weird i would look at 117 lbs. then again, i like to keep things curvy ;)
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My BMI puts me as over weight too. Drives me crazy!!! My Dr. believes in the BMI charts!! Tells me every visit I need to lose at least 20 more pounds...:noway:

Is your profile pic you?? Wow. we should all be so overweight.

Yep it's me. I love you thanks!!! You just made my day!!!!--I'm working on the last 10. (for a year now!!)
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Unreasonable. I have a bmi of 22.3 but I look like I have a bmi of 28 because I have a lot of fat. :))
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't figure in cup size either. I read that a woman with D or DD breasts is carrying an extra 8-10 pounds of weight. Since you can't lose weight from your breasts (once they're down to their natural size, of course), worrying about those extra few pounds isn't worth it. The only way to lose that weight would be a surgical reduction. Nobody can blame you for being heavier in the chest. :)

It's actually 1 lb per cup (total) So if you wear a D that's 4 extra lbs (1/2 lb per breast/cup size).

Is that accurate? I'm a GG, no wonder my back and shoulders are so far out of whack.
  • Bridget0927
    Options

I wouldnt think pro athelete of any kind would be in the norm of the populous, obv. an exception
  • Bridget0927
    Options
    BMI doesn't figure in cup size either. I read that a woman with D or DD breasts is carrying an extra 8-10 pounds of weight. Since you can't lose weight from your breasts (once they're down to their natural size, of course), worrying about those extra few pounds isn't worth it. The only way to lose that weight would be a surgical reduction. Nobody can blame you for being heavier in the chest. :)

It's actually 1 lb per cup (total) So if you wear a D that's 4 extra lbs (1/2 lb per breast/cup size).

Is that accurate? I'm a GG, no wonder my back and shoulders are so far out of whack.

This is really cool to know!~ Thanks!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hmm just for fun I put in all the forwards of the LA Kings into the BMI calculator. I would doubt anyone would argue that these guys are not in peak physical condition with low body fat %'s. Only 3 out of 14 were in the "normal' bmi the lowest being 6'1, 187lbs 24.7BMI. The highest BMI was 29. Most ranged in the 26-28 zone.

DId it suprise you that people who are clearly not "average" registered incorrectly on a tool based on population avereages?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    However Roger Federer is 6'1" and 187. Top of the healthy range. Im sure you could go through all tennis, soccer and other endurance sports and find most fit the BMI scale. Being able to perform optimally in a contact sport doesn't necessarily correlate with optimal health. I refer you to linebackers and many first basemen.

BMI is sketchier when we're talking about athletes, true. But the majority of us on this site are not pro athletes
  • dcl3872
    dcl3872 Posts: 20
    Options
    BMI list me as Obese, but the mirror tells a different story I'm a bodybuilder so I guess it's a case by case basis I believe those charts are more for someone who has never exercised or build muscle mass forget scale and charts look in your mirror if you like what you see you have accompliced your goal
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    First you need to wrap your head around the idea that the BMI scale is for the "average" person. A professional athlete carries a lot more LBM than the average male. If you have a high LBM you'll probably not fit the chart. If you have very little LBM you probably won't fit the chart.

I'm reading people's weights and measurements in the previous posts and a lot of them are larger than they probably should be to be "ideal". Does everyone have to be ideal? No. If you think being curvy or having lots of muscles or huge boobs is the way to be, then go for it. It doesn't make the chart wrong because it doesn't fit in with what your perception of your ideal body is.

The poster who is having a hard time being obese based on dress size, perceived physical ability etc is not a special snowflake. At your weight and measurements you are obese. We aren't much different in age or height and if I wore a size 12 I would be obese. It is what it is. Your perception of not wanting that label doesn't make it so.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    First you need to wrap your head around the idea that the BMI scale is for the "average" person. A professional athlete carries a lot more LBM than the average male. If you have a high LBM you'll probably not fit the chart. If you have very little LBM you probably won't fit the chart.

I'm reading people's weights and measurements in the previous posts and a lot of them are larger than they probably should be to be "ideal". Does everyone have to be ideal? No. If you think being curvy or having lots of muscles or huge boobs is the way to be, then go for it. It doesn't make the chart wrong because it doesn't fit in with what your perception of your ideal body is.

The poster who is having a hard time being obese based on dress size, perceived physical ability etc is not a special snowflake. At your weight and measurements you are obese. We aren't much different in age or height and if I wore a size 12 I would be obese. It is what it is. Your perception of not wanting that label doesn't make it so.

QFT
  • Bridget0927
    Options

QFT

Ditto
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    For me to be in the middle of the healthy range of BMI - I would have to be about 130lbs.

However, I have a 45 inch shoulder span. There's no way that I can get that small. Holy crap.

So I try to ignore it.

A 45" shoulder span? Tell me that's a typo.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    For me to be in the middle of the healthy range of BMI - I would have to be about 130lbs.

However, I have a 45 inch shoulder span. There's no way that I can get that small. Holy crap.

So I try to ignore it.

A 45" shoulder span? Tell me that's a typo.

I'm guessing that's circumference not span.