- Eat 1g protein/lb lean body mass.
- Reduce calories to lose 1-2 lbs/week

Success is 100% guaranteed

All credit to wave_length on bodybuilding.com

Replies

• Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Bumping my own thread, because its really that simple. Ask me anything.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Sounds sensible. That is one simple way to do that will work.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Follow these three simple rules:

- Workout 3 times a week with weights

Yeah, that's one way. Here's another, even simpler one: Eat less, move more.
  • syntaxxor
    syntaxxor Posts: 86
    Options

Not to spark a silly flamewar, but that's how you lose weight, not fat. "Eat less, move more."

Losing fat is more specific, and aims at keeping as much lean mass as possible.

Losing weight is losing both fat and lean mass in order to get the scale to get lower. You see this a lot with people who only do cardio and eat less.
  • Griffin220x
    Options

Not to spark a silly flamewar, but that's how you lose weight, not fat. "Eat less, move more."

Losing weight is losing both fat and lean mass in order to get the scale to get lower. You see this a lot with people who only do cardio and eat less.

Thank you was just gonna post that, beat me to the punch.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

No flaming intended. Lots of people manage to lose fat quite well without lifting 3 times a week. And cutting calories to the point of losing 1 to 2 pounds a week is far too aggressive for many people, especially if they're trying to maintain lean body mass at the same time.

Like I said, OP's method is one way. There are others.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Simple enough. The only thing I would add would be to eat enough fats to prevent deficiency at around .3-.45g per pound of bodyweight or lean mass for the obese.
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    Simple enough. The only thing I would add would be to eat enough fats to prevent deficiency at around .3-.45g per pound of bodyweight or lean mass for the obese.

Yup, and that's perfectly fine because it follows the 3 rules.
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Yup, lifting weights is very important if you want to keep your lean mass. Otherwise you'll end up looking "skinny-fat" or sickly.
  • Griffin220x
    Options

And cutting calories to the point of losing 1 to 2 pounds a week is far too aggressive for many people, especially if they're trying to maintain lean body mass at the same time.

Like I said, OP's method is one way. There are others.

See Rule #2
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    OP - your BF% please?
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    The Pic in my Profile is around 9-10% and that was about 3 weeks ago.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options

Great job, brother. That's some good going.
  • Griffin220x
    Options

Great job, brother. That's some good going.

Thanks, I plan to keep cutting until the end of April I wanna at least be 8%.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    <<< Doesn't lift weights. Training for an Ironman. Eating more, moving more. Sickly or skinny fat? No, don't think so.

Edited to say that there are many ways to do this, and your method should be matched to your goals. I have no problem with weightlifters. I plan to do that too. AFTER I am an Ironman :)
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    you'll end up looking "skinny-fat" or sickly.

:huh:
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    "- Eat 1g protein/lb lean body mass. "

How do we know how much that is? Do I need to get my lean body mass tested somehow? I know I dont seem to get enough protein (according to the macros shown) in my diet. Thanks
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I workout 3x a week with moderate weights that my injuries can handle, and cardio that uses body weight/resistance
    I shoot for 100 gr Protein and 50 gr Healthy fats (LBM 100-110)
    I eat at a 500 calorie deficit for a 1 pound a week weight loss

So I guess I am good?
  • lyndabraczynski
    Options
    Ok...I am new to the strength training. I know it is important to eat enough calories and protein the problem I am heving is that I can only manage to eat my basic 1200 calories I get on average 50 or more grams of protein but I go way over on the sugars....I do not eat processed foods but even fruit veggies and granola have sugar....

The other thing I am developing very muscular arms...I do not want to be big and bulkyprefer more trim and skulpted....will this even out with time or should I stop working my arms?
  • syntaxxor
    syntaxxor Posts: 86
    Options
    "- Eat 1g protein/lb lean body mass. "

How do we know how much that is? Do I need to get my lean body mass tested somehow? I know I dont seem to get enough protein (according to the macros shown) in my diet. Thanks

You can get your body fat percentage measured, either by a doctor; or you can grab some calipers and get an estimated result. There are plenty of calculators online that will also give you an estimation of it as well.

Edit:

@lyndabraczyns:

Your arms have less fat than the rest of your body. So when you're burning fat from everywhere, your arms will immediately start looking more muscular than everything else; which is completely normal. You need to continue burning fat in order to make everything appear just as muscular. It's the old "I have a six pack under this fat" thing. You have to shave the fat before you can see the hard muscle underneath.