How to Lose Fat for Newbs

Options

Replies

• Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    "- Eat 1g protein/lb lean body mass. "

How do we know how much that is? Do I need to get my lean body mass tested somehow? I know I dont seem to get enough protein (according to the macros shown) in my diet. Thanks

This is a good method but there are others. You'll need to get your bodyfat % measured though.

Lean Body Mass = Body Weight - (Bodyweight x Body Fat %)

For me I'm 170- 170x .1= 153

My LBM is 153
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    I workout 3x a week with moderate weights that my injuries can handle, and cardio that uses body weight/resistance
    I shoot for 100 gr Protein and 50 gr Healthy fats (LBM 100-110)
    I eat at a 500 calorie deficit for a 1 pound a week weight loss

So I guess I am good?

Yup because all of that follows the 3 rules
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    Ok...I am new to the strength training. I know it is important to eat enough calories and protein the problem I am heving is that I can only manage to eat my basic 1200 calories I get on average 50 or more grams of protein but I go way over on the sugars....I do not eat processed foods but even fruit veggies and granola have sugar....

The other thing I am developing very muscular arms...I do not want to be big and bulkyprefer more trim and skulpted....will this even out with time or should I stop working my arms?

It seems like you're making things really complicated. First, the only way you'll get bulky is if you're eating in a surplus. You are not. No you should not stop working out your arms. If you wanna even things out I would suggest doing full body workouts since you're new to strength training. Focus on the compound lifts. Squats, Deads, bench, and rows. As far as food goes invest in protein shakes and lean meat to hit your protein intake for the day. Oh and follow the 3 rules, and you'll be good. Its been doing wonders for my cut.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I can only lose 2 pounds per month and stay healthy at my size and current weight. But, I'm working on the others! Thanks...we do tend to over-complicate matters.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Take a shot everytime someone uses the phrase "lift heavy." Go!
  • cbuggy75
    cbuggy75 Posts: 23
    Options
    Bump
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Simple enough. The only thing I would add would be to eat enough fats to prevent deficiency at around .3-.45g per pound of bodyweight or lean mass for the obese.

Yup, and that's perfectly fine because it follows the 3 rules.

riveting. more info on this please. Can you give an example of the equation?
    somewhere between 3 and 45g sounds like a big difference.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    *adds rows to routine* already doing the others now
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    Simple enough. The only thing I would add would be to eat enough fats to prevent deficiency at around .3-.45g per pound of bodyweight or lean mass for the obese.

Actually I second, that more info please, I personally don't follow that but but hey like I said^
  • Queenofthezoo
    Queenofthezoo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So many people have pushed eating more and more protein. That is the advice I keep getting, but when I use a calculator to determine my lean body mass, I get 96 lbs. So that means as long as I get 96 grams of protein, I'm good, right? Others have recommended closer to 150, and I just haven't figured how to get close to that without supplements.

And this would be in place of road map. When I do the road map thing, I get that I should be eating 1754 calories. If I set myfitnesspal, to lose 1 lb a week it sets it at 1590 calories per week. But I would assume with your suggestion you would eat your exercise calories back, which make the calories about the same.

Or would you suggest not eating back exercise calories.

And how long are you suggesting someone works out 3 times a week. I am currently doing 30-45 minutes cardio, 3 times a week, and trying to beginning weight lifting stuff (mostly beginner hasfit work outs) 15-30 minutes every other day, with Sundays off.

Does that sound about right for your "plan"?
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think I get it now. You are talking to people who want to lose body fat to attain more muscle definition. Or perhaps young people who have little excess fat to lose.

Other than eating lots of meat, chicken, and fish, how do you consume over 100 grams of protein per day ....using real food, not supplements?
  • johnavae
    johnavae Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is the formula to determine your target calorie intake though? For a loss of 1-2 lbs a week.
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    So many people have pushed eating more and more protein. That is the advice I keep getting, but when I use a calculator to determine my lean body mass, I get 96 lbs. So that means as long as I get 96 grams of protein, I'm good, right? Others have recommended closer to 150, and I just haven't figured how to get close to that without supplements.

And this would be in place of road map. When I do the road map thing, I get that I should be eating 1754 calories. If I set myfitnesspal, to lose 1 lb a week it sets it at 1590 calories per week. But I would assume with your suggestion you would eat your exercise calories back, which make the calories about the same.

Or would you suggest not eating back exercise calories.

And how long are you suggesting someone works out 3 times a week. I am currently doing 30-45 minutes cardio, 3 times a week, and trying to beginning weight lifting stuff (mostly beginner hasfit work outs) 15-30 minutes every other day, with Sundays off.

Does that sound about right for your "plan"?

I don't count my exercise calories period (thats just me) nor do I have any clue how many calories I burn per workout session. I only log what I have eaten and I follow those three rules.

Cardio is unessential for fat loss, but that does not mean that you can't or shouldn't do it. I don't because I don't like it and I still lose fat and still retain my strength.

I won't make a suggestion because it depends on your own intensity and how much time and dedication you're willing to put into it.
    But my Sessions last anywhere from 45min to 1 hour 30 mins however they are rarely last an hour 30 but sometimes they do.
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    I think I get it now. You are talking to people who want to lose body fat to attain more muscle definition. Or perhaps young people who have little excess fat to lose.

Other than eating lots of meat, chicken, and fish, how do you consume over 100 grams of protein per day ....using real food, not supplements?

without supplements, Eggs, lean meat: chicken, turkey, any fish pretty much (tuna is my favorite), clams, shrimp.
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    What is the formula to determine your target calorie intake though? For a loss of 1-2 lbs a week.

I don't use a formula, I just use a scale and lots of trial and error.

Tdee calculators are a good starting point to figure out your maintenance though, then you can adjust your calorie intake from there.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Wow, a 22 yo bodybuilder who is giving sound advice that I agree with. The world may collapse now! :happy:

It really is that simple for the basics.
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    Wow, a 22 yo bodybuilder who is giving sound advice that I agree with. The world may collapse now! :happy:

It really is that simple for the basics.

Thank you I appreciate the comment :) I still give all credit and thanks to my physique to wave_length on bb.com though. The Dude is a genius.
  • tackie8383
    tackie8383 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Its not between 3 and 45 grams. Its .3-.45 grams per pound of body weight. Example - I weight 145. That means I should eat between 43.5g and 65g of fat per day.
  • smooches1683
    smooches1683 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is kettlebells close enough to ''lifting weights'' ?

Im one of those girls who think its all about cardio, but I hear lifting is what its all about when it comes to losing weight.
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    Is kettlebells close enough to ''lifting weights'' ?

Im one of those girls who think its all about cardio, but I hear lifting is what its all about when it comes to losing weight.

Yes! Kettlebells is lifting weights! I'm bumping this thread!!!