• Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    bump - to remind myself

Thanks for the bump
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Ok...I am new to the strength training. I know it is important to eat enough calories and protein the problem I am heving is that I can only manage to eat my basic 1200 calories I get on average 50 or more grams of protein but I go way over on the sugars....I do not eat processed foods but even fruit veggies and granola have sugar....

The other thing I am developing very muscular arms...I do not want to be big and bulkyprefer more trim and skulpted....will this even out with time or should I stop working my arms?

This may have been said already but if you are weight training, you should probably eat more than 1200 calories. Figure out your TDEE (calculator at fat2fitnessradio.com) and subtract 20% to adjust your calorie intake.
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    Wow, a 22 yo bodybuilder who is giving sound advice that I agree with. The world may collapse now! :happy:

It really is that simple for the basics.

Thank you I appreciate the comment :) I still give all credit and thanks to my physique to wave_length on bb.com though. The Dude is a genius.

Is this the website I would use if I am just learning about lifting weights?
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    OP is correct...started following this simple formula from bodybuilding.com....read all the sticky's and its working great...the termanolgies differ so much between myfitness and bodybuilding.com....here they say losing weight....bodybuilding.com says losing fat...we use diet here...they say "cut"
  • Cinnabon64
    Options
    I suppose this just pertains to healthy individuals who don't have physical limitations like Fibromyalgia?
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I suppose this just pertains to healthy individuals who don't have physical limitations like Fibromyalgia?

You can, and should, absolutely do strength training with fibromyalgia. Lots of people do. Let your doc know, though.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Simple enough. The only thing I would add would be to eat enough fats to prevent deficiency at around .3-.45g per pound of bodyweight or lean mass for the obese.

Yup, and that's perfectly fine because it follows the 3 rules.

riveting. more info on this please. Can you give an example of the equation?
    somewhere between 3 and 45g sounds like a big difference.

Actually I second, that more info please, I personally don't follow that but but hey like I said^
    First, the poster said between 0.3 and 0.45g per lb of bodyweight, not between 3 and 45... So for a 170lb man that would be between 51 and 77g of fat.

Second, the reason he said it is there is a dietary requirement for FAT in the body or we simply will not absorp/assimilate fat-soluble vitamins. This is quite common in those on a very-low-fat diet, that they become deficient in the fat-soluble vitamins.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Is too much protein a bad thing or just a waste?? Going by your calculations I should be getting 85 grams and I usually aim to get 100 grams plus! I weigh 107 pounds/47 kilos
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    Is too much protein a bad thing or just a waste?? Going by your calculations I should be getting 85 grams and I usually aim to get 100 grams plus! I weigh 107 pounds/47 kilos

That is a fallacy your body will use it. I always go over my optimal protein intake.
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    Simple enough. The only thing I would add would be to eat enough fats to prevent deficiency at around .3-.45g per pound of bodyweight or lean mass for the obese.

Yup, and that's perfectly fine because it follows the 3 rules.

riveting. more info on this please. Can you give an example of the equation?
    somewhere between 3 and 45g sounds like a big difference.

Actually I second, that more info please, I personally don't follow that but but hey like I said^
    First, the poster said between 0.3 and 0.45g per lb of bodyweight, not between 3 and 45... So for a 170lb man that would be between 51 and 77g of fat.

Second, the reason he said it is there is a dietary requirement for FAT in the body or we simply will not absorp/assimilate fat-soluble vitamins. This is quite common in those on a very-low-fat diet, that they become deficient in the fat-soluble vitamins.

Cool! Thanks for the info I'll look into that :D
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    *facepalm*
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Bumping my own thread, because its really that simple. Ask me anything.

if its one gram of protein per pound and im around 92lean body mass weighing at 24lbs should i be eating around 90 grams of protein and lifting to enable fat loss..
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Couple questions.

1. How much of a calorie deficit are you in?

2. When you say that you are losing 1-2 lbs of fat, is that reflected on the scale? Or, are you losing bf and maintaining your weight?
  • Jille0
    Jille0 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Very helpful! I think keeping it simple is the best as it makes it easy to remember and to do!
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    Couple questions.

1. How much of a calorie deficit are you in?

2. When you say that you are losing 1-2 lbs of fat, is that reflected on the scale? Or, are you losing bf and maintaining your weight?

1. I'm in about a 400-500 caloric deficit. I can cut on 2000 calories.

2. To be honest (for me personally because my bf is already in the single digits) it's difficult to tell. Because a couple weeks ago I lost a pound but since then my weight has stayed the same but my bf% dropped 1%. At this point my body is trying very hard to hold on to what fat it still has. My goal is to be in the 7-8% range.

The above is for me personally^^^ this is my experience. You might not have the same just to clarify.

**edit, sorry a typo ;)
  • Griffin220x
    Options

if its one gram of protein per pound and im around 92lean body mass weighing at 24lbs should i be eating around 90 grams of protein and lifting to enable fat loss..

Yes if your're lbm is 92lbs then 92g of protein a day. But don't forget the last rule! Adjusting your calories is what actually "enables" fat loss. Calories in vs calories out. Its all about the deficit. Good luck!
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Yes if your're lbm is 92lbs then 92g of protein a day. But don't forget the last rule! Adjusting your calories is what actually "enables" fat loss. Calories in vs calories out. Its all about the deficit. Good luck!

Thanks!