Why hasn't the entire world..

Options

Replies

• baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    i used to go to a corner dinner often for a grilled chicken Cesar salad. in my mind i was thinking salad-100cals, dressing-150cals, chicken-350cals. one day they wrote down the cals in the menu. 1200 CALORIES!!! and for years i thought i was eating healthy :(

It is CRAZY how we can think we are ordering the best option and we are really not. But imagine all the oil they probably slather on that chicken before grilling it, any extra spices or oils add up so fast. Chicken itself can be high in calories, 4 ounces alone is over 150, plus dressing which can be even more than what you estimated, especially for full fat. My favorite caesar dressing is actually 250 for 2 tbsp. It's nutty! But this is the price we pay for eating at restaurants and not knowing exactly what we are eating.

I guess the bottom line is, we either need to not eat out or eat out and just relax for one night with the calorie counting when we do go out :)
  • baileybiddles
    Options
    I'm loving this thread. The majority of posters have join date in 2012. So, since you've been counting calories and macros for 6 months or so, the entire world must now work the way you wish it to work? Back in 2010 you couldn't care less but now every mom and pop corner diner must show you a calorie list, and ingredient list, and tell you how the food was prepared.

Not only does the rest of world not calorie count, they look at us like we ALIENS when we whip out our smart phones in the restaurant and start entering stuff on our MFP app. The people that want this have even said that they would stop buying the high calorie cream and oil items that also supply the highest profit margin to the restaurant.

Why exactly should they cater to us?

I definitely agree with this post. We are the minority on MFP, unfortunately. Not everyone, not even most people worry about what goes into their mouths. It is up to us to be self succient and find out this information for ourselves, or guess as best as we can.

Like I posted to the OP: A lot of chains have this information available online now. It's always easy to go online, check out the menu and plan ahead if you know you're going out. Or just go out and enjoy it! Life is too short to count every single calorie. What about birthdays, 4th of July, etc? There are always days that we need to relax a little.

I think that this is a bad way to think. Why shouldn't they tell us. Nutritioin label were fought hard. But, now look at how we use them, and how we demand to know more. Information is good and right. Transparancy is important to me. I don't want to eat think something is 600 calories when it's three times that because I don't know they dip it all in butter.

I disagree with you. I think it's our responsibility as people trying to lose weight and get healthy to ASSUME that everything is dipped in butter. As one poster indicated, we are the minority. Most people don't bother watching what they eat. For restaurants to go crazy getting every bit of nutritional information is just too much. We are responsible for our bodies, not the restaurants. If you choose to go out, you should understand that you cannot possibly get a truly healthy option when you've not prepared it for yourself and seen exactly what is in it and how its been prepared.

That's just my opinion though. :)
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I do agree that most business would not benefit from putting the nutritional value on their menu for everything. Some things would just not look right and may hurt business.

But what I have seen and like is the option. Some restaurants have a under 300 calorie or under 500 calorie section on their menu and that I like. It also helps to subside the possibility of a lawsuit since now they are not telling you and exact number but an approximation.JMO:flowerforyou:
  • baileybiddles
    Options
    I do agree that most business would not benefit from putting the nutritional value on their menu for everything. Some things would just not look right and may hurt business.

But what I have seen and like is the option. Some restaurants have a under 300 calorie or under 500 calorie section on their menu and that I like. It also helps to subside the possibility of a lawsuit since now they are not telling you and exact number but an approximation.JMO:flowerforyou:

I definitely agree with this! It''s reasonable and allows you to see what your choices are in a certain calorie range without the restaurant having to be so precise. It also gives them a little bit of wiggle room, say one chef is a bit heavy handed on salt or dressing, etc.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I keep reading, "When I eat at X chain, they have Y"

I think I just realized the problem, eating at chains, and thinking you'll lose weight.

ETA - and since not all are trying to lose weight.

"... eating at chains, and thinking you'll eat healthily."
  • baileybiddles
    Options
    I'm loving this thread. The majority of posters have join date in 2012. So, since you've been counting calories and macros for 6 months or so, the entire world must now work the way you wish it to work? Back in 2010 you couldn't care less but now every mom and pop corner diner must show you a calorie list, and ingredient list, and tell you how the food was prepared.

Not only does the rest of world not calorie count, they look at us like we ALIENS when we whip out our smart phones in the restaurant and start entering stuff on our MFP app. The people that want this have even said that they would stop buying the high calorie cream and oil items that also supply the highest profit margin to the restaurant.

Why exactly should they cater to us?

I definitely agree with this post. We are the minority on MFP, unfortunately. Not everyone, not even most people worry about what goes into their mouths. It is up to us to be self succient and find out this information for ourselves, or guess as best as we can.

Like I posted to the OP: A lot of chains have this information available online now. It's always easy to go online, check out the menu and plan ahead if you know you're going out. Or just go out and enjoy it! Life is too short to count every single calorie. What about birthdays, 4th of July, etc? There are always days that we need to relax a little.

I think that this is a bad way to think. Why shouldn't they tell us. Nutritioin label were fought hard. But, now look at how we use them, and how we demand to know more. Information is good and right. Transparancy is important to me. I don't want to eat think something is 600 calories when it's three times that because I don't know they dip it all in butter.

I disagree with you. I think it's our responsibility as people trying to lose weight and get healthy to ASSUME that everything is dipped in butter. As one poster indicated, we are the minority. Most people don't bother watching what they eat. For restaurants to go crazy getting every bit of nutritional information is just too much. We are responsible for our bodies, not the restaurants. If you choose to go out, you should understand that you cannot possibly get a truly healthy option when you've not prepared it for yourself and seen exactly what is in it and how its been prepared.

That's just my opinion though. :)

I think you are wronjg. Sorry. But, assuming that food is prepared the way you THINK it is is kind of dumb. I'm not calling you dumb, I'm saying the thought that you know what they are doing is dumb. you dont. While we may be in the minority, they are doing this in California, and it is awesome. I love it, and I don't go to places that don't have it because I like having an idea.

Food labels were fouight hard using the same logic you are using now. Had people like you won, MFP would not exist and you would have a much harder time figuring out why you are fat. Not you, you. But, the bigger population, you.

Don't apologize, everyone has their own perspectives on issues; too many people tear eachother apart on these boards, which is not necessary. I can definitely see your side of it. I didn't know California had all restaurants putting nutritional values on their menus. There's definitely nothing wrong with it, but I won't cry over it if not all states are required to do so, you know? For me, there are certain days where I just want to go out and get something rich and creamy, or fattening and cheesy, and I just don't care about counting on those very rare days. That's all. :)
  • dbmata
    Options

I think I just realized the problem, eating at chains, and thinking you'll lose weight.

Are you serious. Anyone can lose weight if they eat at a deficit. What you eat doesn't matter much at all.

Specifically which part do you feel is in jest?

While you are superficially accurate, you are technically inaccurate with the statement that "What you eat doesn't matter much at all."
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Profit margins for restraurants are razon thin, like 2.5-3.5%. Having all of their food calorically tested would only increase costs (and possibly prices) while still not giving accurate information. The reason, it is totally dependent on the preparer of the food and large swings in high fat ingredients (cream sauces, butter, etc.) are likely to occur. Best option would be to look at the ingredients and enter them im individually or just best guess and know that you may be off for that day.
  • dbmata
    Options

Are you serious. Anyone can lose weight if they eat at a deficit. What you eat doesn't matter much at all.

While you are superficially accurate, you are technically inaccurate with the statement that "What you eat doesn't matter much at all."

no I'm not. It is accurate on every level.

Yes, you are. Micro and macro nutrient makeup is important to ensuring your body works well and maintains health. That's proven studied fact supported by peer reviewed science. Bro-sci may say you can eat twinkies all the time and be completely healthy, that's not true.

However, we all know that, so the misdirection on your part isn't relevant to the larger discussion at hand.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If it's that big of a deal to you, call/write/e-mail the owners of the restaurants you frequent and ask them to provide nutritional info. If they can't or won't, then stop eating there. If you're going to continue eating there, well, you have your answer as to why the world hasn't embraced it: it's not that big of a deal, even to people who complain about it.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options

I think he is accurate if he is talking about losing weight at a deficit. It dosent matter what you eat as long as you are at a deificit. Now being healthy is a totally different thing and not what you mentioned in your post...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

It costs me tax dollars when people are unhealthy. I prefer that business get hurt by being irresponsible. I want proper portion sizes and menu labeling. Calories will help get portion sizes down, IMO.

so, you get to decide what "proper portion sizing" is? Screw. That. If I am going to Cheesecake Factory then I have decided that those gigantor plates full of cream covered food is the proper portion size. I couldn't care less about what you believe your tax dollars are doing.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Embraced the idea of putting nutritional information on our menus?

The funny part about it is, like it will really make a difference to the majority of people who already over eat. Almost every restraunt out there will provide you nutritional information on the spot or already have it out. I would say most people never look at it. And even if it is posted on the menus (just at McDonalds and they already have it next to each item and meal) it didn't stop several people from ordering more than a meal for themselves.

So just stick it up there. Ain't like it will really effect those who don't care.