Why hasn't the entire world..

Options

Replies

• jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Years ago I consulted with a nutritionist and was given this advice for eating in restaurants on a diet

Limit alcohol consumption and avoid sugar sweetened drinks
    Avoid fried foods and cream sauces
    Order shrimp cocktail or non creamy soups for an appetizer
    Ask for salad dressings on the side and use sparingly unless it's lemon juice or vinegar
    If you must have desert ask for fresh fruit

Most important of all understand that restaurant portions are exceedingly large by nature so eat a half portion and take the rest home for the next day

Then there's plan B: Eat whatever the hell you want for one meal and compensate for it by eating less and doing extra exercise
    in the preceding and following days and it will balance out in the long run
  • bubbanene
    bubbanene Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am all for personal responsibilty. To make responsible choices you need information. It is not unreasonable to ask a restaurant to provide that information. When the tobacco industry was forced to provide this info more people made the right choices. Consumers have no way of knowing what is added to their food behind closed kitchen doors.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Again - the lawsuits have already started and it does cost time and money especially for little mom and pop restaurants that are already struggling.

Chefs work insane hours - and you want them to do MORE work. Just for you - nope that's not selfish or blind to other peoples problems.

Want them to do more work just for me? Selfish or blind? WTF? It's perfectly reasonable to state that as a customer (you know, the person PAYING for the product and service being offered) I have certain preferences that would make me more likely to spend money in your establishment! You're right, they don't have to offer it, and they may decide it's not worth it from a cost/benefit analysis, but there's absolutely nothing fricken wrong with stating that there's a demand that somebody can then choose to supply or not. That's called commerce. It's the foundation of capitalism. What the heck is wrong with you people?

The selfish and blind was in response to the comment I responded to. And yes it is selfish to expect a chef to work extra hours to give details that only a small minority actually want. This isn't a 5 minute job. I'd bet you'd be the first to complain when the prices go up to implement this.

Nope. I happily pay more for great service that accommodates the things I appreciate. I also tip well. I have no problem paying more for a better product and a better service. And I think businesses have the right to know that, just as I have the right to let them know that there is a market for this. And I think you are ridiculous for assuming that some poor chef is going to have to work "extra hours" to accommodate this, and that there wouldn't be some sort of payoff for the business AND the chef, if they decided to make this information available. Businesses are actually in the business of figuring out what people want, determining if they can deliver that or not, how they might reasonable do it, and proceeding accordingly. Again, this is not a demand that everyone should be forced to do this, it's a statement that as a consumer, I would appreciate this and be willing to pay for it. What they do with that is entirely up to them. And the idea that you think there's somehow something wrong with this makes me wonder what the heck I'm doing having this conversation with you.

Feel free to stop at any point.

BTW I'm not against having the info on menus if the restaurant chooses to. I'm against the legislation that happened in NY and California that forces them to.

Mind you being in the UK I doubt that will happen here.

Edit: actually chains that have done this have seen sales drop on their higher profit items due to the calorie count - so there is actually a downside.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    RejectReality_zps3ae4005b.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    They're simply saying that it would be nice if there were more information available from which to make an informed decision.

That's already available:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

Really though, unless someone has worked in a kitchen in a professional capacity, they really won't realize how impractical it would be to offer these figures for all dishes, and how bs the numbers would be.

What about a complete list of ingredients? Is that too much to ask?

yes. go cook your own food. or open up your own restaurant. i'm sure all the salad eaters will flock there for the low sodium, low fat, low creams, low taste food simply because you have calories and ingredients posted. because I know that's what I want to do when i go out to eat with friends.

WAITRESS, BRING ME AND MY FRIENDS AN EXCEL SPREADSHEET OF YOUR FINEST INGREDIENTS!!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Very much so, yes. If I and others like me - not an expert, but someone that has a decent idea of how to cook - have access to the full ingredient list, then we can make the exact same meal at home for considerably less money. The restaurants I like would see considerably less business.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Very much so, yes. If I and others like me - not an expert, but someone that has a decent idea of how to cook - have access to the full ingredient list, then we can make the exact same meal at home for considerably less money. The restaurants I like would see considerably less business.

Excellent point - I asked for a recipe for an amazing bean dip in NY - and got told very nicely - NO CHANCE. :sad:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    And that's the reality of it.

Cooks and chefs are in the business of feeding you in interesting and creative ways. Not in giving you actuarial tables of information that should be part of your normal due diligence.
  • dbmata
    Options

Excellent point - I asked for a recipe for an amazing bean dip in NY - and got told very nicely - NO CHANCE. :sad:

Hahaha, back when I was a cook I had a knife pulled on me because I was looking in the house recipe book.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

Edit: actually chains that have done this have seen sales drop on their higher profit items due to the calorie count - so there is actually a downside.
    BINGO! the consumer realized that the marcos/calories dont fit his diet and made a choice. its like going to the drug store for something for a headache. the pharmacist gives u a pill but doesnt tell u what it is or what it can do to ur body
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    It would be great if restaurants did that but that would make their menus huge! Some places do post calories, fat, and such with the item. When I go out to eat I always check out the menu online and find the calories. Than I know what to have.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

I'm fairly certain you won't die, either.

The OP is not afraid of dying, sir, she just wants some information. What's your problem with that exactly? We have that information in NYC. SOme people look at it, some don't but it's there IF YOU WANT IT.

The key word used by who I replied to was:
    But there's no harm to those who DON'T pay attention if they put the numbers for those who DO.

"Harm". It will not kill anyone not knowing the macronutrient content of their meal.

Honestly, the idea of this happening is quite sad. If we really need to stick labels on all our food because we just can't just eat in moderation and stop being so bloody gluttonous we really are an embarrassing species.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm loving this thread. The majority of posters have join date in 2012. So, since you've been counting calories and macros for 6 months or so, the entire world must now work the way you wish it to work? Back in 2010 you couldn't care less but now every mom and pop corner diner must show you a calorie list, and ingredient list, and tell you how the food was prepared.

Not only does the rest of world not calorie count, they look at us like we ALIENS when we whip out our smart phones in the restaurant and start entering stuff on our MFP app. The people that want this have even said that they would stop buying the high calorie cream and oil items that also supply the highest profit margin to the restaurant.

Why exactly should they cater to us?
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"Harm". It will not kill anyone not knowing the macronutrient content of their meal.

[/quote]
    what if u have food allergies. what if u have high cholesterol. what if u r diabetic. what if u r a vegetarian.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    And NY and CA, If you really think those in-house calorie things are accurate...

hahanosmiley.gif

Oh, and that legislation? How much will your state spend to draft, implement and enforce this? Mind boggles.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

what if u have food allergies. what if u have high cholesterol. what if u r diabetic. what if u r a vegetarian.

Then you do what people have done for years use your common sense or if that's to hard then ask - it's not rocket science.

People have been eating out for year - but only now do we need calories lists - it's our attitude to food that needs to change not the restaurants.
  • dbmata
    Options

Then you need to take control of what you eat and advise your server of any issues so they can tell you what you may and may not have. It is incumbent upon YOU and no one else.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

1) Tell your server, so that they can ensure that what you're eating doesn't have what you're allergic to.

2) So???

3) Don't order the stuff that's obviously high in sugar.

4) Don't order the steak.
  • dbmata
    Options
    And NY and CA, If you really think those in-house calorie things are accurate...

hahanosmiley.gif

Oh, and that legislation? How much will your state spend to draft, implement and enforce this? Mind boggles.

Well, it's a cry for bigger government and reduced personal responsibility. So... it's for the children. ;)
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

I do have food allergies, I'm a Coeliac. I'm also not stupid. I don't order things with bread, and am sure to inform the staff of my intolerances. Similarly, I'd expect a vegetarian to not order anything with meat.

However, I don't see what any of this has to do with the macronutrient (fats/proteins/carbs/calories) content of a meal.