Why hasn't the entire world..

Options

Replies

• baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

"Harm". It will not kill anyone not knowing the macronutrient content of their meal.

what if u have food allergies. what if u have high cholesterol. what if u r diabetic. what if u r a vegetarian.

Then you need to take control of what you eat and advise your server of any issues so they can tell you what you may and may not have. It is incumbent upon YOU and no one else.
    didnt u just say that u almost got shanked for asking whats in the food? lol
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Embraced the idea of putting nutritional information on our menus? It's so frustrating to go out for a meal and have no indication of how many calories are in each dish. I like to be informed about this stuff people! It's not going to make me leave, I'm still eating there! I'd just like to eat the best meal possible (nutrition wise).

And those restaurants who are like "no that has nothing to do with me" (I saw that on a show once).. of course, cause it's not like you sell food... to people............ or eat yourself...........................

Because not everyone looks at food as numbers, and not everyone worries about losing/maintaining weight.

But there's no harm to those who DON'T pay attention if they put the numbers for those who DO.

I'm fairly certain you won't die, either.

:flowerforyou:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

"Harm". It will not kill anyone not knowing the macronutrient content of their meal.

what if u have food allergies. what if u have high cholesterol. what if u r diabetic. what if u r a vegetarian.

Then you need to take control of what you eat and advise your server of any issues so they can tell you what you may and may not have. It is incumbent upon YOU and no one else.
    didnt u just say that u almost got shanked for asking whats in the food? lol
    No.

I was a cook there looking in a book that was for the chef and the sous only, my action was interpreted as industrial espionage. I wasn't sitting at a table yelping about the bread. ;)

Things are a little more wild in the back of the house. :D
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    And NY and CA, If you really think those in-house calorie things are accurate...

Actually just read an article today about that. They are pretty fairly accurate.
  • baptiste565
    Options
    And NY and CA, If you really think those in-house calorie things are accurate...

hahanosmiley.gif

Oh, and that legislation? How much will your state spend to draft, implement and enforce this? Mind boggles.

Well, it's a cry for bigger government and reduced personal responsibility. So... it's for the children. ;)
    Yeah lets do it for the kids. for my son whose idea of eating healthy is eating fruit snacks. lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options

hahanosmiley.gif

Oh, and that legislation? How much will your state spend to draft, implement and enforce this? Mind boggles.

Well, it's a cry for bigger government and reduced personal responsibility. So... it's for the children. ;)

That's right. I live in a Democratic State. For the most part, I am glad about that - since I grew up in a Republican household and state. I'm glad to have seen the other side first-hand.

This is such a First World Problem that I can't believe I keep coming back and arguing.

It's.
    Just.
    Food.

You'd think we were talking about something important.

Maybe we can make some more people mad.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Then you do what people have done for years use your common sense or if that's to hard then ask - it's not rocket science.

People have been eating out for year - but only now do we need calories lists - it's our attitude to food that needs to change not the restaurants.

Agreed! A lack of nutritional information in restaurants isn't the cause of the "obesity epidemic"--information is more widespread than ever yet the number of overweight/obese people is increasing. I don't think the issue will be remedied by information that is likely to be 1) inaccurate and 2) costly to implement.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Yeah lets do it for the kids. for my son whose idea of eating healthy is eating fruit snacks. lol

Well, he's a kid! Those fruit snacks, I loved that crap when I was a kid too. Gelatin and sugar, with great commercials! Which brings me to an issue I have is all the snack food marketing aimed at kids, "teaching" them that crap is good for them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Embraced the idea of putting nutritional information on our menus? It's so frustrating to go out for a meal and have no indication of how many calories are in each dish. I like to be informed about this stuff people! It's not going to make me leave, I'm still eating there! I'd just like to eat the best meal possible (nutrition wise).

And those restaurants who are like "no that has nothing to do with me" (I saw that on a show once).. of course, cause it's not like you sell food... to people............ or eat yourself...........................

sigh.jpg
    Because the entire world doesn't have an obesity problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options

hahanosmiley.gif

gif STOLEN!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options

Actually just read an article today about that. They are pretty fairly accurate.

Maybe fast food or proportioned type restaurants. Try making those work in any type of restaurant that's any nicer than say, Red Robin. I know I get bigger portions than spec at some places I go to regularly - not that I'm really thrilled about that, but meh.

I don't believe most of what I read in newspapers or internet sites, nor do I believe TV News. They all have a point of view. I've worked in enough restaurants to be able to say pretty confidently that no-two-meals-are prepared the same in any place other than fast food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    I live in Australia and unless you go to places like McDonalds, there's no nutritional information given at all. For the record, I don't eat at McDonalds... an example would be going to a Vietnamese restaurant. Another state (not the one I live in) is making it mandatory to show the calories in every meal if you're a food provider. I just wish my state was doing the same :(
    Lol, then move to California. I live here now and though it's great for the menu's to have calorie counts, the average person doesn't really care because there's still issue with overweight/obese here. I find that the majority of people that I see eating at a restaurant could be doing much better with their choices if they are overweight/obese. For those that do care, they usually order just plain salad, or "fit menus".

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    meh...I'd like to think I've learned a thing or two about proper nutrition and portion control. I've also become much more adept at listening to my body and knowing when, how, and how much to feed it.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's fine, but those who don't care don't have to read it, I just want a CHOICE.

you do have a CHOICE. you chose to eat out, you chose to go to that particular restaurant. i like having access to the nutritional information (either at the site on one the web) but yet i do not feel that the entire world has to cater to my every whim

if you're so serious about knowing what you put into your body you have the option of buying all your own raw ingredients and cooking your own foods. or only frequent the restaurants that give you the info you want.

This sums up how I feel. I could care less either way. I don't object to knowing what I'm eating, but if I'm going out to eat the world isn't going to end either if I can't count the calories of my meal.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options

Edit: actually chains that have done this have seen sales drop on their higher profit items due to the calorie count - so there is actually a downside.
    BINGO! the consumer realized that the marcos/calories dont fit his diet and made a choice. its like going to the drug store for something for a headache. the pharmacist gives u a pill but doesnt tell u what it is or what it can do to ur body

That's an entirely different argument against it than "you're selfish for letting them know what you would appreciate them offering", which is just embarrassing. If that's the case, they have a perfectly valid reason for considering what i would appreciate and deciding that it's not in their best interest, even if they lose me as a customer (or at least a regular customer).
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I do PARTIALLY agree with you. It would be nice to know what the nutritional values of the foods I order are. However, I imagine for smaller, local restaurants it would be a big pain to try and figure out these values.

Most chain restaurants at least have their nutritional information online. For example, Applebees, Olive Garden, TGI Fridays, Longhorn, Chipotle, McDonalds, etc. Your best bet is to check out the website before you go out to eat (if you're planning ahead, anyway; if you go out on a whim there's no help there) and decide what you want. Track it before you go out so you know how it impacts your day and if maybe you need to exercise an extra twenty minutes or something to offset any extra calories.

I think I speak for most people when I say that if you do choose to go out, you should just go out! Enjoy it. Don't do it often, but when you do there's no need to worry about the nutritional value. :) Life is too short!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm loving this thread. The majority of posters have join date in 2012. So, since you've been counting calories and macros for 6 months or so, the entire world must now work the way you wish it to work? Back in 2010 you couldn't care less but now every mom and pop corner diner must show you a calorie list, and ingredient list, and tell you how the food was prepared.

Not only does the rest of world not calorie count, they look at us like we ALIENS when we whip out our smart phones in the restaurant and start entering stuff on our MFP app. The people that want this have even said that they would stop buying the high calorie cream and oil items that also supply the highest profit margin to the restaurant.

Why exactly should they cater to us?
    Most, if not all, western first-world countries have very high overweight rates (around 50%). In other words, if you're not fat, the person next to you is.

Yeah, it might help a bit. Just sayin'

And how is it different than, say, listing ingredients on the company's website?
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm loving this thread. The majority of posters have join date in 2012. So, since you've been counting calories and macros for 6 months or so, the entire world must now work the way you wish it to work? Back in 2010 you couldn't care less but now every mom and pop corner diner must show you a calorie list, and ingredient list, and tell you how the food was prepared.

Not only does the rest of world not calorie count, they look at us like we ALIENS when we whip out our smart phones in the restaurant and start entering stuff on our MFP app. The people that want this have even said that they would stop buying the high calorie cream and oil items that also supply the highest profit margin to the restaurant.

Why exactly should they cater to us?

I definitely agree with this post. We are the minority on MFP, unfortunately. Not everyone, not even most people worry about what goes into their mouths. It is up to us to be self succient and find out this information for ourselves, or guess as best as we can.

Like I posted to the OP: A lot of chains have this information available online now. It's always easy to go online, check out the menu and plan ahead if you know you're going out. Or just go out and enjoy it! Life is too short to count every single calorie. What about birthdays, 4th of July, etc? There are always days that we need to relax a little.
  • baptiste565
    Options
    i used to go to a corner dinner often for a grilled chicken Cesar salad. in my mind i was thinking salad-100cals, dressing-150cals, chicken-350cals. one day they wrote down the cals in the menu. 1200 CALORIES!!! and for years i thought i was eating healthy :(