eat more to weigh less folks

Options

Replies

• Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just did the calculator and should be eating about 2300 to lose weight steadily! Maybe that is why I am at a plateau because I stay around 1400, Oh my gosh, that is so scary to think about eating that much, I will try though.

Just do it with healthy foods and work up to the amount slowly while paying attention to how your body reacts. You should be ok :)
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I've been toying with the idea of upping my calories. I'm very frustrated -- I've been trying to clean up my eating for the past 4 weeks and I have barely lost 3 pounds. I also started measuring last week, since I started the insanity workouts and I haven't lost inches that I can tell.

The thing that has always confused me about this is -- If I was eating under the number of calories my body needs, shouldn't I have seen at least a few weeks of big losses? Shouldn't my body have taken a little bit of time to "adjust" and not refused to shed fat for at least a few weeks?

I'm going to try TDEE - 20% for the next few weeks and see what happens. Can people who have had success on this comment on how quickly it took for your body to respond? I need to lose about 60 to 70 lbs and I feel like I can't do anything to make it happen. So so so frustrated.

If you're eating under the number of calories that your body needs and you aren't losing weight, your body has adjusted to your lower calorie level and is refusing to lose any fat. Bodies don't want to shed pounds, so they adapt quickly if you eat to little in order to preserve your muscle, bones, and fat.

How quickly your body will respond is all on an individual basis. My body is taking longer to respond because I have been a chronic under-eater for most of my life. It is what it is. I've been eating at TDEE for a few months now. Check out the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group if you haven't already! (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less) Lots of tools on the board to help you figure out what might work best for you!
  • alwaddle
    alwaddle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will look at that group.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Im glad its working for you, but I ate less and loss a hundy.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    this!
    I just did the calculator and should be eating about 2300 to lose weight steadily! Maybe that is why I am at a plateau because I stay around 1400, Oh my gosh, that is so scary to think about eating that much, I will try though.

Just do it with healthy foods and work up to the amount slowly while paying attention to how your body reacts. You should be ok :)
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    congrats on the amount. I have lost 74 pounds thus far and 36 away from my goal. there is no one size fits all method
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Best forum post ever. I'm also a convert and am slowly educating friends and relatives. :smile:
  • CBDoll
    CBDoll Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Cool info!! Thanks for the link.
  • TooTatToTrot
    TooTatToTrot Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you do TDEE-20% is that net calories. Like do you take into account your exercise? Or is that all the calories for the day, exercise or not.
  • montlucia
    montlucia Posts: 90
    Options
    I posted here for advice in January because I'd stayed at the same weight for 4-5 months since late Summer of last year. I was eating 1400 calories and stayed at 168lbs for those months.

Then I used an online calculator and upped my calories to around TDEE -20% whilst upping my protein and continuing the level of exercise I was doing. I'm now at 157lbs with a loss of around 1lb a week.
  • jen_u_win
    Options
    Problem for me is that my TDEE is over 3000 based on how much I workout and that just feels so difficult to eat without eating crap.

This is the tiniest bowl I own. Inside of it is 600 calories of cashews.

13964211_7130.jpg

I would probably eat 10 of these bowls in one sitting if I didn't restrain myself.

You can find lots of other nutritious foods to make up a healthy diet.

I love almonds and other nuts...but how do you keep all your columns (fat, sat. fat, protein, sugar, etc.) in check without going over? I'm eating 1,300-1,500 calories per day before exercising off anywhere from 500-900 calories/day 6x per week. Even at that low calorie amount I'm over in several columns. My TDEE - 20% = 2,465.6

My diary is open. I'm not a "clean eater"...too picky(!) but I do try to eat good snacks. I've been losing an avg. of 2-2.5 lbs per week. BTW...Today was not an average day...BK turkey burger was not so "lower-calorie" after all, lol!! I usually research ahead if I eat out...and I try to avoid BK, etc. altogether.
  • JustMQ
    JustMQ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    TDEE - 15%! Works so much better than trying to eat only 1200 cals, saying "eff it" and binging on 6 cookies!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I joined mfp in Jan. and found em2wl a few weeks into it. Joining em2wl has changed my life. I no longer feel guilty about eating foods I need or want. I just try to stay under 1600 calories/day but don't always succeed. I'm making better choices though. I've been losing about 1 lb. a week. Now I need to up the exercise and see what happens. This is something I could live with for the rest of my life. No more binges, no more starvation... no more guilt! It's amazing!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I began a few weeks ago eating the correct calories for my current weight aiming for 20% body fat reduction. when I began I weighed 180 pounds. thanks to you guys I lost 4 pounds so far in the two weeks I'm doing this. I am feeling full and satisfed.
    I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks and I only eat when I am hungry. if my calories are under and I am full I accept my end day calorie count.

I don't know if there any any eat more to weigh less folks still on mfp since y'all have your own forum but if there are I wanted to thank you guys so much for helping me in my struggles. your the best:):heart: for the eat more to weigh less folks who are here would love for you to add me. the bigger the support system the better. you will receive the same support right back.

Great it is working for you. How many calories were you eating before and how many are you eating now?
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I JUST started this yesterday! Trying to get near to that TDEE is more difficult that I imagined. After staying at under 1290 for a while, it's hard to jump up to 1884 a day. Hoping to have great results too!
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I readjusted my #s following IPOARM/EMTWL at the beginning of this year. I aim for TDEE - 20%. So far, so good! 6 lbs down so far in 2013. (I'm only aiming to lose 25-30 lbs overall so my loss is a bit slower than some.) I eat lots of fresh fruits, veggies, protein & still make room for treats & wine. Great job on your weight loss, everyone!
  • mamapuddin17
    mamapuddin17 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Did you all gain weight by upping your calories? If so when did it start to level off and when did you start to lose?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Here here :drinker: :drinker:
  • oliviazab
    oliviazab Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is just what I needed to read! I have been feeling guilty if I ever go above my calorie allowance, but I just calculated what I could be having if I did TDEE %20 and it seems much more doable for me. Love this!
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Ooooo yes.

I like that.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!