Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You're too skinny.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Yes, I got that two days ago from my boss. He goes "You're too skinny. All your bones are popping out. Do you even eat?"

Does he not realize that I am walking by his office to go to the kitchen every 2 hours? I eat all day! I always thought I would love comments like this when I lost the weight, but they just make me feel uncomfortable.
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Haters-Gonna-Hate.gif
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options
    But seriously, your story is very similar to mine and i get that all the time. Just do what you do bro-ham.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Yes, I got that two days ago from my boss. He goes "You're too skinny. All your bones are popping out. Do you even eat?"

Does he not realize that I am walking by his office to go to the kitchen every 2 hours? I eat all day! I always thought I would love comments like this when I lost the weight, but they just make me feel uncomfortable.

Unsolicited comments on someone else's body are just plain rude. It doesn't matter if it's supposed to be positive or not, it's still invasive. I have no idea why people think it's okay.

I've learned to say, "Nobody cares what you think about my body. I don't exist to decorate your world."
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options
    Not that its any of my business......skinny or not, your socks do not match.
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options

hahaha... yeah I know... they are close enough... I hate the socks with the grey toes and heals... the heals stretch up the back... but my wife buys them... if I complain I will have to shop myself...
  • jboss1989
    jboss1989 Posts: 25
    Options
    You look great, but you are not too skinny. People are silly. When I weighed about the same you do now, as a 5'5" woman, people would try to tell me I was skinny. And some of them were serious. Personally, I think that this is mainly because we are so used to being surrounded by obesity.
  • jboss1989
    jboss1989 Posts: 25
    Options

This is so rude. You wouldn't say "why are you so fat? Stop eating, pig!" so why do people find it acceptable to tell you that you are too skinny? Same thing.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you happy. And I too think you are under eating for your body build and exercise level, but if what you are doing is working then by all means keep on doing it.

And congratulations on doing so well. I hope to be making a post just like yours by the end of summer.
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options

hahaha... yeah I know... they are close enough... I hate the socks with the grey toes and heals... the heals stretch up the back... but my wife buys them... if I complain I will have to shop myself...

haha. i understand
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I blame the government. :)

When someone says that I don't need to loose any more weight, I say that I am still overweight.

According to whom? The CDC.

My BMI is still slightly over 25. So if the person who told me that I am too skinny is fatter than me, than by implication I just called them really overweight. But I really didn't. It was the CDC.
    BMI is mostly a useless measurement, especially for those who lift.

When I drop to the point of having ripped abs my BMI is still just about 27.5 ... simply because of the muscle mass I have. Most people don't think I'm overweight at all right now with a BMI of 31...
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It's not about what you weigh! It's about the life you lead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Unsolicited comments on someone else's body are just plain rude. It doesn't matter if it's supposed to be positive or not, it's still invasive. I have no idea why people think it's okay. I've learned to say, "Nobody cares what you think about my body. I don't exist to decorate your world."

Not always. I'll take the unsolicited compliments that you hate so much, please.
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Mostly, family and friends judge me by the size of my butt (I'm pretty curvy). The consensus is that when it's starts getting too small I have to stop losing weight regardless of what I weigh at the time. Actually, when I tell people how much I weigh, they don't believe I weigh that much.

Just do what you need to feel and be healthy, Your family is comparing you to what you weighed before so their opinion is slightly skewed.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    First of all, CONGRATS on the loss! Amazing job!!! I get that all the time and it's so annoying, but I know they mean well. They are just comparing me to what I was, not to a healthy weight for me, so I get the "You're going too far" or "You're going to whither away!" While I'm still wearing a size 12 and obviously have a ways to go!!!! I try not to take offense... I think it's just some people's way of saying "Atta boy!" If your doctor says 190 is healthy, though, perhaps you should start focusing on toning instead of losing more weight. Also, take pictures. I still see myself as "chunky," but when I look at pictures I am actually a bit thinner than in my mind. It could be that they're seeing on FB what you're not see in the mirror. Whatever you decide to do, do it for YOU! Whatever makes you happy! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • buffcleb
    Options
    Do what makes you happy. And I too think you are under eating for your body build and exercise level, but if what you are doing is working then by all means keep on doing it.

And congratulations on doing so well. I hope to be making a post just like yours by the end of summer.

seems to be working... I have upped my numbers in MFP but rarely eat to those numbers... to worried about messing with something that is working...

our gym at work is closed this week so today I ran indoors at the track (I work at a college) with a coworker who runs 5ks all the time and he had a hard time keeping up with me... I was slowing down so we stayed in sync... nothing major just 35 minutes but coming from someone who could not do 100 yards last September I feel I am doing ok... he was out of breath and breathing hard... I was just fine... breathing while working out is something I am working on though... firefighters only get so much air on a tank...

I might just add a protein shake after the gym every day and see how that works...
  • ShannonS2714
    ShannonS2714 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't believe that saying "You're too skinny." is any better than someone saying "You're too fat.".....it's not really helpful or supportive in any way, and it can lead to a serious issue within the person. I think it comes down to whether or not you are happy with yourself and within a healthy weight range...
  • buffcleb
    Options
    I honestly don't believe that saying "You're too skinny." is any better than someone saying "You're too fat.".....it's not really helpful or supportive in any way, and it can lead to a serious issue within the person. I think it comes down to whether or not you are happy with yourself and within a healthy weight range...

this^^^ everyone would think I were rude and rightly so if I posted on someones FB photo that they are too fat... but no one has bats an eye at saying your too skinny...
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am 6 feet too and there is no way that you are too skinny. People just are used to the way you looked before. Don't let others "comments" affect your progress. A healthy weight for someone who is 6 feet is 155! I have no idea how you dream to look but I want to look as fit as possible! Good luck!

Careful! 155 for a woman sure but not for a man!!! He would not be good at 155! OP your goal sounds good for your height, don't worry about it. Eat healthy, exercise and you will end up in a good place :flowerforyou: Good luck and Great job so far!!