Embarrassed when running?

Options
1235»

Replies

• mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I run on a walking/bike path that doesn't parallel a road so everyone that sees me is exercising too.

Also, I admire anybody that I see running. The heavier and out of shape they are, the more I admire them.
  • runs2eat
    runs2eat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been running since 2003, have logged thousands of miles, and had strange things said and done (was followed and nearly run over- but who's counting?) to me, tool! Lol! That just goes with the territory I guess. That's just the world we live in. My advice? Ignore them. Carry mace. If you run on a sidewalk or track and not the road, listen to an Ipod. Think about all the positive things you're doing to help your body as you're running, and not let your mind wander to what others think about you. After all, what does it really matter? Most are probably wishing they could run like you are! Keep up the good work! Maybe look for a running partner if you continue to feel insecure. My best advice for running and living with "people" is to focus on what God thinks of you and who He created you to be. You have dignity, value and worth to Him! What He thinks of you is far more important than what others think. If you have a Bible, read through the gospels- Matthew and John for sure. You'll get a good idea on just how important to Him you really are! Happy running!!!! Keep going!
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    JUST KEEP GOING...I started out, baggy clothes 80+ lbs heavier and slow moving, ran at night, schlepping around my block, now I see my self a year later as an example, I now see new people and I smile and wave to them for support that they are one of the crowd, not an outsider.. they are a runner like me. I went and have started replacing my ratty gear with outlet stuff (Under armor, Champion, etc) and I feel much better and look lighter than when I started..

And when I feel like quiting or not running, I think, today might be the day that someone is thinking about starting and they might see me and think " I remember when he was huge, and hell if he can do it,so can I" and if I don't run today then that may not happen and they may not start.

it's a pay it forward, you work your butt off and do what you need to for yourself and someone that maybe on the fence about it will see you and think, damn, she's trying to hard, what's my excuse. be that example for yourself and others.

and ignore the idiots.. some aren't happy unless they're bringing down others.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Not gonna repeat what everyone already said here...some good stuff....but you have a middle finger for a reason and if people are yelling crap at you, I urge you to use the universal symbol to tell them how you really feel....and keep on running!

That's what I do, well I guess I do it the opposite way. I yell insults and flip off really big 4 wheel drive trucks since they're usually driven by big dudes. I then run like hell. Getting my *kitten* kicked or shot at is a really motivation for running sprints!

Oh yeah, I told a guy to curl up and die once! Road Rage is totally a running thing, just own it!
  • aloralincoln
    Options
    I feel the same exact way. I have started running early in the mornings or at night around 8 or so when I feel like there aren't as many people; It kind of puts my mind to rest. Keep up the running and great work!! :D
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My embarrassment is different. In my head, I am running as fast as I can but in reality, It is more like a fast power walk or something. After being 380 pounds only a couple of years ago, I am now over 200 pounds lighter but running is not something I have ever done. I must look like a real idiot.
  • shosho420
    shosho420 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yes! And it never fails at the gym even when there are 5 open machines someone has to go right next to me, and then they run like crazy and I am just like omg over achiever. Its embarrassing when your stuff all jiggles
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It's like going to the gym for the first few times. Everyone always thinks that everyone is starring and thinking things. They really aren't. (Granted you're not one of those person grunting non stop) In reality, take a second and look around, everyone is off in their own little world. People get all worried because they're lifting light weights. Actually the only people being starred at are the ones grabbing too much weight because everyone knows they'll get pinned under it. (More a guy thing) So in your case, as long as your not stumbling around like a drunk, just get out and run because the only ones that care is you.

This is true. It's referred to as the "personal fable": the idea that when we enter a room, everyone stops and takes notice, and cares about what we look like or what we're doing. The reality is, most people you see in public couldn't care less about you. They are living their own lives. If you notice occasional stares, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Also, while there is a large amount of prejudice against severely obese people, there are some common reactions to seeing an overweight person do something positive about their weight. When people see an overweight person buying healthy produce or exercising in public, their reaction (if they have one) is usually one of approval. Healthy people don't judge obese people who are showing some initiative to get healthy. What they can be judgmental about is if you're at the grocery store and buying a cart full of Twinkies or junk foods, or if you're pulling up to a McDonald's and order a fattening value meal. If people have any reaction to seeing you running, they're probably on the side of mild approval. But really, they probably don't even care. . .
  • abbzpwn
    abbzpwn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When people look at me in a negative way or scream out of their cars... I just laugh because I'm improving myself while they're wasting their time not doing much for themselves or me.
  • shosho420
    shosho420 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It's like going to the gym for the first few times. Everyone always thinks that everyone is starring and thinking things. They really aren't. (Granted you're not one of those person grunting non stop) In reality, take a second and look around, everyone is off in their own little world. People get all worried because they're lifting light weights. Actually the only people being starred at are the ones grabbing too much weight because everyone knows they'll get pinned under it. (More a guy thing) So in your case, as long as your not stumbling around like a drunk, just get out and run because the only ones that care is you.

This is true. It's referred to as the "personal fable": the idea that when we enter a room, everyone stops and takes notice, and cares about what we look like or what we're doing. The reality is, most people you see in public couldn't care less about you. They are living their own lives. If you notice occasional stares, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Also, while there is a large amount of prejudice against severely obese people, there are some common reactions to seeing an overweight person do something positive about their weight. When people see an overweight person buying healthy produce or exercising in public, their reaction (if they have one) is usually one of approval. Healthy people don't judge obese people who are showing some initiative to get healthy. What they can be judgmental about is if you're at the grocery store and buying a cart full of Twinkies or junk foods, or if you're pulling up to a McDonald's and order a fattening value meal. If people have any reaction to seeing you running, they're probably on the side of mild approval. But really, they probably don't even care. . .
    When I go into my gym no one even looks up. No one looks at each other. There are tones of old ladies doing zumba and chubby people everywhere (myself included).