My Sabotaging Protein Shakes

Options
124»

Replies

• Apollonia84
    Apollonia84 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

What I found was that too much protein will actually go against all I worked for. It can "bulk" (a light term because women technically cannot bulk like men can) my frame thus gaining weight. Even more, I'm eating what can be looked at as double meals - protein shakes and then going home to protein meals. The fat intake went against the goal of eating lean.

If your nutritionist told you this, get a new nutritionist

Why? Are you one?

You don't know anything about her medical back ground or what is going on with her body. For someone like me who has PCOS causing them to be insulin resistant, I have to watch carbs and other things.

Everyone has a different body and they have different things going on with them. So maybe what her nutritionist told her is right for HER.

But then she shouldn't be posting that tailor made advice on here saying it applies to everyone. I wouldn't post that everyone shouldn't eat nuts because they'll kill you, just because I'm allergic to them.

Excess calories make you fat not an excess of one macro.

I love my protein shake after my weights workout and aim for 30% of my cals from it.

Thanks for you comment but you are incorrect; I did not place this topic stating it applies to everyone. If you read the last paragraph again, I said if protein shakes works for people, then I have nothing against that. And for those who are struggling with it, I am suggesting my experience.
  • Apollonia84
    Options
    More protein the better, and umm dont be afraid of carbs especially good ones!

Def not afraid of carbs now! :blushing:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Oh, and not to mention, 1lb of Muscle burn around 5 times the calories per day, than 1lb of fat does, thus increasing BMR (How many calories the human body burns at rest) etc etc

I used to think that, but it turns out the difference is much smaller. Just a few percent. 10 pounds of muscle only burns about 50 calories more than 10 pounds of fat.

Really? I thought muscle burned around 5-6 cal per pound and fat around 2? Is this not correct? I would search it but if you already have the answer you can save me some time.

Yes, that's roughly right to my knowledge:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9688626

Good article here:http://muscleevo.net/muscle-metabolism/
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share what I learned recently at my last nutritionist appointment. I was focusing on a high protein, low carb diet and found that I was stagnant for four weeks. Although I'd see minor decreases in my weight, I'd find that I was going up as well. I attributed it to weight lifting. Recently, I started incorporating lifting within my workout, and have become serious to the point of doing it 4-5x a week (alternating parts).

After my workouts, I purchased protein drinks already in a bottle, around 110 calories each. I figured it was a win/win because I'm repairing my muscles and staying true to low carb.

What I found was that too much protein will actually go against all I worked for. It can "bulk" (a light term because women technically cannot bulk like men can) my frame thus gaining weight. Even more, I'm eating what can be looked at as double meals - protein shakes and then going home to protein meals. The fat intake went against the goal of eating lean.

I tested her suggestion and for the past few days left the protein shake. I added a happy balance of carbs and protein with my veggies and saw a drop of a half of a pound! After my workout yesterday, I purchased a small carton of chocolate milk - as suggested by my nutritionist. Yes, it's 130 calories and less in quantity than my protein drink, but it's leaner and it does the trick to repair my muscles.

Now if you're a protein drinker and it works for you, I say go with it! I wanted to be like that. But for me, it didn't work. So for those who are puzzled and aren't sure what to revamp, I'm suggesting what I have learned. If it benefits you, awesome! If not, perhaps it might get the ball running for you :)

Good luck everyone!

i gotta be honest - you're overcomplicating and so is your nutritionist

seeing a 1/2 pound drop means nothing. it could be water weight. our body weight fluctuates up to 5 pounds DAILY just from ordinary life. Did you hit the bathroom before you weighed compared to yesterday? that kind of thing...

the only way too much protein is ever bad is if you eat WAY too much - i'm talking 300g (for an average sized female). but if you're getting in 100-150g of protein as a woman, any excess is just peed out and does no harm. I've never heard of your nutritionist's theory of a slight excess of protein "bulking you up" before. physiologically that makes no sense. more likely you hit a normal plateau. additionally, eating fat doesn't cause you to gain weight/body fat either. that's also a myth...

honestly it sounds like your nutritionist is living in 1995 in terms of her advice...
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    ...the only way too much protein is ever bad is if you eat WAY too much - i'm talking 300g (for an average sized female). but if you're getting in 100-150g of protein as a woman, any excess is just peed out and does no harm. I've never heard of your nutritionist's theory of a slight excess of protein "bulking you up" before. physiologically that makes no sense. more likely you hit a normal plateau. additionally, eating fat doesn't cause you to gain weight/body fat either. that's also a myth...

honestly it sounds like your nutritionist is living in 1995 in terms of her advice...
    I've got to disagree with you here...

There is a certain segment of the population from whom even a slight increase in protein consumption - even without increasing calories - DOES make a difference - and that's ANYONE using a VLCKD (very low carb ketogenic diet) for medical reasons that include Diabetes, PCOS, Metabolic Syndrome, Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's just to name a few.

For those individuals the goal is to keep blood glucose at the lowest normal levels possible. However, any protein consumed that's not utilized and considered 'excess' (again, even if calories stays the same) will often be converted to glucose through the process of gluconeogenesis. As these individuals are almost always seen with high circulating levels of insulin, that glucose then ultimately gets stored in their bodies as fat. (Causing the "bulk" the OP mentioned.)

There are numerous studies and articles and literally thousands of anecdotal reports of people reducing their protein intake, increasing their fat intake and losing weight even when they take in more calories then before they adjusted their macros. Look at the number of people on MFP who struggled to lose weight who never lost a pound until the INCREASED their caloric intake... If it was all simply about calories-in/calories-out this wouldn't happen.

For myself, if when dieting I get 30% of my calories from protein, 5% from carbohydrate and 65% from fat, I assure you I won't lose a pound. I know this because I've done it MULTIPLE times. For ME (we're all different) when dieting I need to stay 20-25% for protein at the very most (still with 5% carbohydrate but about 70-75% fat) and I lose weight just fine - around 4-5lbs a week usually.

The truth isn't as simple as everyone makes it out to be, otherwise every obese person on the planet could easily lose weight.

Check out some more information here: http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/do-calories-matter ... Dr. Peter Attia confirms what many are now learning - changing macronutrient profiles very much changes an individuals metabolism and ability to store/burn fat . . .
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    ...the only way too much protein is ever bad is if you eat WAY too much - i'm talking 300g (for an average sized female). but if you're getting in 100-150g of protein as a woman, any excess is just peed out and does no harm. I've never heard of your nutritionist's theory of a slight excess of protein "bulking you up" before. physiologically that makes no sense. more likely you hit a normal plateau. additionally, eating fat doesn't cause you to gain weight/body fat either. that's also a myth...

There is a certain segment of the population from whom even a slight increase in protein consumption - even without increasing calories - DOES make a difference - and that's ANYONE using a VLCKD (very low carb ketogenic diet) for medical reasons that include Diabetes, PCOS, Metabolic Syndrome, Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's just to name a few.

For those individuals the goal is to keep blood glucose at the lowest normal levels possible. However, any protein consumed that's not utilized and considered 'excess' (again, even if calories stays the same) will often be converted to glucose through the process of gluconeogenesis. As these individuals are almost always seen with high circulating levels of insulin, that glucose then ultimately gets stored in their bodies as fat. (Causing the "bulk" the OP mentioned.)

There are numerous studies and articles and literally thousands of anecdotal reports of people reducing their protein intake, increasing their fat intake and losing weight even when they take in more calories then before they adjusted their macros. Look at the number of people on MFP who struggled to lose weight who never lost a pound until the INCREASED their caloric intake... If it was all simply about calories-in/calories-out this wouldn't happen.

For myself, if when dieting I get 30% of my calories from protein, 5% from carbohydrate and 65% from fat, I assure you I won't lose a pound. I know this because I've done it MULTIPLE times. For ME (we're all different) when dieting I need to stay 20-25% for protein at the very most (still with 5% carbohydrate but about 70-75% fat) and I lose weight just fine - around 4-5lbs a week usually.

The truth isn't as simple as everyone makes it out to be, otherwise every obese person on the planet could easily lose weight.

Check out some more information here: http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/do-calories-matter ... Dr. Peter Attia confirms what many are now learning - changing macronutrient profiles very much changes an individuals metabolism and ability to store/burn fat . . .

... fair... but I don't think the OP has a metabolic disorder or she would have said so (if she said so in the thread then nvm)

EDIT: and for the record I agree re: cal in/cal out
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    ... fair... but I don't think the OP has a metabolic disorder or she would have said so (if she said so in the thread then nvm)
    Well, one thing I've learned in 22 years of medical research is people don't often tell you when they have a disorder that affects what advice/treatment/test etc., you may be providing =)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Well, one thing I've learned in 22 years of medical research is people don't often tell you when they have a disorder that affects what advice/treatment/test etc., you may be providing =)

haha touche
  • Apollonia84
    Options

VERY fascinating!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

VERY fascinating!

So... do you have a metabolic disorder?
  • Apollonia84
    Options

VERY fascinating!

So... do you have a metabolic disorder?

In all respect, I don't wish to explain my body's specifics only because my post wasn't to start this heated debate. My post was to explain something that I had learned and felt worked for me. I've also explained that I had nothing against individuals who drink protein shakes and applaud them if it works. To be honest, I almost regret posting this because of how it was taken by everybody.