Your most humiliating "fat" experience.

Options

Replies

• Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I was at a friend's birthday party in highschool. After we were done singing happy birthday, one of her little cousins (about 6 years old) came up to me, looked me straight in the eye and said, "You have a really big belly." Funny thing was that she was very overweight for a 6 year old....kids....:grumble:
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What a mean, insensitive boyfriend ..now husband. I hope you told him about all the negative feedback you've gotten on this thread about him.

anyway.. my experience- some girl I knew, but had not seen in several years came into the place I was working and said 'OH MY GOD !! What happened to you ? you use to be hot !'

I felt my face burn red and all my customers talked about how red my face got all day..

It was embarrassing walking with my boyfriend and noticing my shadow was bigger then his..

it was embarrassing wearing XL and shopping at Lane Bryant

sorry no really funny stories like other people posted.
  • mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    Options
    My now husband, then boyfriend, made the remark that I should get a bigger swim suit. I was wondering what was wrong with the one I had. I asked him what he meant and why he said that. He would never really clarify. Finally he just yelled at me that I look disgusting in my swim suit. Needless to say, I haven't put on a swim suit since. I actually bought one last year, but I could never bring myself to wear the thing.
    Please tell me he's apologized to you about this since then. I've taken disrespectful comments from people before, but I wouldn't take them from people who are supposed to care about me. That's unacceptable.

When I was a cashier at wal-mart, I was mistaken for pregnant on a few occasions. Honestly, if a woman doesn't look like she is obviously pregnant like she's 9 months and about to pop, I'm not going to say a darn thing. The worst moment was when a man put a whole treadmill (in it's box) on top of the register conveyor belt which is a cruddy thing to do in the first place since it's incredibly heavy and I can scan it in his cart, I walked around to scan his treadmill. As I was lifting this thing back into his cart because he made zero effort to help me or put it back, he asked me when I was due. I was very confused, and told him that I wasn't pregnant. He says "Are you sure? Because you really look like it.". Really guy?? Not only is that a horrible thing to say to someone, but if I was, you suck as a person if you would let a a pregnant woman lift a 100+ pound treadmill and not do anything to help her. The most I felt that I could get away with saying to him was that he should really be careful what he says to a woman because that can really hurt a person's feelings. If I hadn't been at work though, I would have said something a bit more colorful to him.

When I was in high school, I was THE fat girl. Kids laughed about my weight all the time. One time I walked into class and sat on a metal chair and it buckled and broke and I fell down and the whole class just died laughing. Our school didn't like paying for new things so the chair was old and it really could have happened to everyone, but because it was me, it just made things worse. I played it cool and just laughed with everyone else, but it was not a proud moment.

When I was in 9th grade, I hit a girl because she was being mean to me. I was feeling very suicidal around this time because I was bullied everyday and had no friends. I was sent to the principal's office and I told her how I felt. She asked me why and I said that everyone hated me because I was fat and I felt worthless. She said "Well what are you doing to change that?" and I said that I was trying so hard to lose weight, I was walking to school for a change, and had lost 15 pounds. Her response to this was "I don't believe you. I'm sure you splurge on Haggen Daas and pizza once in awhile." Then I was suspended. I never ever forgot that. Those were the exact words she used and I never forgot them, and I brought it up to her when I was a senior and she denied ever saying it. When you confide in an adult that's supposed to help you and they tell you something like that...it's the kind of thing that you just don't forget.

I have about a zillion other stories like these. I'm so amazed that I grew up to be a semi-put together human being. :ohwell:
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Any time in the history of my life I've had to take off my sweater in public. Or walking to the pool from my apartment in my bathing suit.

Ordering custom Gis for Kempo and realizing my upper arms have the same measurement as my fiance's...

When I was a very little girl (probably 5 or 6) I was walking back home from the park with my mom and this little boy shouted across the street "Hey look at that fat chubby girl!" and not only did I cry all the way home but my mom put me on one of many diets after that and added "walk 1.5 miles on the treadmill" to my daily chores list on the fridge. Man that's scarred me for life.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have about a zillion other stories like these. I'm so amazed that I grew up to be a semi-put together human being. :ohwell:

Oh man, do I relate to that!
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    Mine is from yesterday.

I started talking to a really nice guy online. I made him aware of my size, that I was losing weight and I was self-conscious about it. He said he didn't mind and he liked me for who I was anyway. I met with him and we went for coffee. He said he had left something in the car and ran to get it. He didn't come back. It was the most awkward and humiliating moments of my life.

This was compounded by him giving my number to his friend to call me up riduculing me for my size and my "friend" saying 'Well I'm not surprised he ran looking at you.' Awful. I still haven't recovered from it.

I'm sure that hurts like hell. The only good thing is he revealed his true colors immediately so you weren't hurt EVEN more later on. Hugs to you.
  • mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    Options
    Mine is from yesterday.

I started talking to a really nice guy online. I made him aware of my size, that I was losing weight and I was self-conscious about it. He said he didn't mind and he liked me for who I was anyway. I met with him and we went for coffee. He said he had left something in the car and ran to get it. He didn't come back. It was the most awkward and humiliating moments of my life.

This was compounded by him giving my number to his friend to call me up riduculing me for my size and my "friend" saying 'Well I'm not surprised he ran looking at you.' Awful. I still haven't recovered from it.

I don't even know what to say. That is just horrible. What is wrong with some people? I'm so sorry that happened to you!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I just thought of one. I don't know why, but I don't remember all that many people being mean to my face- must have blocked it out. When I was 16, we took a family vacation to Mexico at one of those all-inclusive places. I was at the pool in my bathing suit, and as I was walking around, I passed this group of guys (they had to be in their 20s), and I heard them say, "Muy grande!" They weren't native Mexicans, just tourists. Humiliation central.
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    One of my husbands male friends exclaimed upon meeting me for the first time "lovely to meet you - you are not too skinny, that's a good thing....I don't like skinny girls". lol.

Also, as I am in the fashion business, one customer said to me "I like buying from you as I can see how the product looks on a 'real' woman...cos you know...you're not thin".

Have to laugh - they both meant well. lol.

Worse...being asked "When are you Due?" when my baby was 6 months old. That pissed me off cos I still don't think I looked pregnant! haha....I guess I did.

I have a good body image - most of the time - I always think I look better than what I actually do - it can be a bad thing, but mostly it's a positive for me! It's how you feel inside that shines through. xx
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    When I started refusing to take body shot pictures with my son - only from the head up ..... that's the most recent. But, I had a few throughout life.

When I was in college and my sister, who was smaller than I am, would wear my clothes often, belting or folding what was too big. I come home one day and see she had on a skirt similar to mine and I asked if it was mine and she says, "Gee, not if you're a size 4" *looks at me* "never will be, will you"... or when we were younger and she said "you are so pretty....you could be a model, you know, if you weren't so fat."

Or, years ago when I was talking with an ex bf. We were still friends and I was happily married (still am) and this ex was complaining about chicks and he goes "i don't even know why I dated you - I only like thin and pretty girls"... needless to say that was the last time I talked to him.

Or in 5th grade when I got wider before I got taller and was made fun of. That eventually evened out though and by high school, it wasn't a thing at all.

I have more.. I don't think anyone has time to read of all them.

The most important thing is that I've had my LAST fat moment and I'm looking forward to my more slender ones.... :)
  • kisstheheavens
    kisstheheavens Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    someone mentioned that if my girlfriend stood behind me , she'd dissappear .

another one was when my girlfriend and i weighed each other in... and i was exactly one hundred pounds heavier than her.
  • Katkamm77
    Katkamm77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was in a department store looking at a rack of clothes. I heard a noise behind me and turned around to look. There was a huge woman staring at me. I was mortified when I realized I was looking in a mirror. Enough said.
  • Sharleeneet
    Sharleeneet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh I have a long list of those really embarrassing moments. fortunately I've learned to let go of all that old, icky stuff. I was recently on an airplane and my seat was in the aisle with the escape door (or whatever you call them) and the stewardess told me that if I could not buckle the seat belt I'd have to move. I'm pretty sure everyone around me heard her comment. Well, thank goodness I'd been using this site and had lost a few pounds, I was able to buckle just fine. Whew!

I have to tell you it really helps me to read all of your posts, some of them just made me burst out laughing, others make me want to cry.

I was married to a man for thirteen years and not once in all our married life did he tell me I looked good. Mind you, I was a whole lot thinner than I am now. When we went out he'd compliment every female in hearing distance, but never me. It used to piss me off something fierce....we're divorced now for more years than we were married and all I feel for him is sympathy.

I read something recently about how we women need to be careful about the messages we are sending to our daughters. I've always said that I was "short, fat and ugly" and my kids picked up on it real fast. Now my daughters are grown women and guess what they say...yuppers, they are repeating me. We need to change the message to be "I am beautiful just the way God made me." Good luck on your weight loss and maintenance journeys!
  • kittycatmeowmeow
    kittycatmeowmeow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for posting and sharing your stories! It makes me feel less alone. Mine is really recent! A couple of days ago a lovely lady asked if I was pregnant on a packed train!! I told her I wasnt and blamed my top but I was so embarrassed, both for me and her - she was going to offer me her seat so she had kind intentions :blushing: I keep getting waves of mortification every time I think about it and I am so thankful I have finally got my act together and started losing weight. Every time I feel like going over my calories or not getting on the exercise bike I am going to use that as motivation.
  • hmoffatt
    hmoffatt Posts: 51
    Options
    I broke a chair at the office, at my first job. It was very loud. People came from all over to look what the noise was. Very embarassing.
  • PinkMartiniPls
    Options
    I was in my early 20's and out at a seafood restaurant with a friend. When our number was called, I offered to get up to get our food and walked by a table that had four guys in their late 20's sitting at it. On my way back, I heard one of the guys say, "Wow, did you see her?" and one of his friends replied, "Yeah, but she's too fat."

I was devastated and remember thinking that I would never find true love... I was wrong! I met my husband, who happens to be very fit and finds me attractive just the way that I am.

Boy, would I love to walk by that table again... I'm fifty pounds thinner than I was then and still just as pretty, lol.
  • nerding4ever
    Options
    Was in High School, went to Valley Fair in MN (live in Wi). Told that couldnt wear shirts down waterslides... 'friends' scoffed at me when had to remove shirt in pool. That was Freshman year in HS. some.. 13 years ago.

Recently... Not much being in the midwest I'm average (scary) I also dont feel bad I've had the same pant size since i was in High School and my size is always gone from the rack... so dont feel too bad at 'tall
  • AlannaJW11
    AlannaJW11 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your husband kind of sounds like a jerk

^ This.
  • witmer1
    witmer1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I had many of these experiences as I've been heavy all my life. The two which shamed me and jumpstarted my loss were the following:

1) I had a minor medical issue and had to go to the doctor. When they tried to weigh me, the scale didn't go high enough to weigh me. The look of disgust on the nurse's face was shocking to me. It was the look of "there's another one" or just utter contempt due to how I let myself go.

2) I went to a friend's house on a lake. We went for a boat ride. Every time I sat on each side of the boat, I'd unbalance the boat. Everyone had to sit opposite me to keep it balanced. It was mortifying.

These experiences coupled with others made me realize I was the weight of two people and if I'd continue like this, I'd die very early. I didn't want that for my son. He deserves better than that. I couldn't go up a flight of stairs without getting winded. I couldn't walk more than a quarter mile without feeling like I was going to pass out.

I started my change 9 months ago. I'm down nearly 70 lbs. My furthest walk is over 6 miles non-stop. I'm not even close to my goal, but I'll get there. I will be healthier. I will prevail. I grew up in a system of "I can't", but I've realized that's wrong. I can and I will.
  • Maxbert_SA
    Maxbert_SA Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The pregnant remarks seem frequent. That has happened to me a good bit. My last one was about two when someone asked me when I was due. I said , "two years ago!" I find my self feeling embarrassed for the one who made that mistake. LOL!

Yep, I get the pregnant comment also, which doesn't help when you are a bloke. :smile: