Your most humiliating "fat" experience.

Options
1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
We all surely have some experience related to out weight that lingers in our minds. I wouldn't say I was even fat when this happened. I am 5'3", at the time I weighed 145 pounds. I was in the process of losing weight I gained from quitting smoking. Anyhoo, we were talking about going to the beach. My now husband, then boyfriend, made the remark that I should get a bigger swim suit. I was wondering what was wrong with the one I had. I asked him what he meant and why he said that. He would never really clarify. Finally he just yelled at me that I look disgusting in my swim suit. Needless to say, I haven't put on a swim suit since. I actually bought one last year, but I could never bring myself to wear the thing.

When you look back on these things do they motivate you? Do you feel a sense of hopelessness that drives you to failure over and over?

Replies

• Boobarella2
    Options
    All I can think is, you married this man why?
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think they can be motivating. I am 5 8 and 170 pounds and I was at the park a couple weeks ago and a kid asked if I'm having a baby. First of all, that hurts my feelings lol. Then, I think, but do I really look pregnant? Whatever. Went home, ordered an elliptical and now I am on the right track to hopefully not looking pregnant lol : )
    Options

I often ask myself the same question. Too often in fact.
  • Boobarella2
    Options

I often ask myself the same question. Too often in fact.

I know that being the weight I am Im not an attractive woman at all, but if my hubby EVER said anything so mean and disrespectful I would not put up with it. Your partner should stand by you and if he noticed you had gained weight should have come to you in private and just said so in a normal, nice way out of concern rather than supificial reasons.
  • MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options

^^ this
  • 12icandothis
    Options
    Yeah, same thing happened to me; a student at the school where I work, and even a teacher! asked if I was pregnant! Most of my weight is around my belly - classic muffin top - shirts riding up, belly hanging over my belt - I hate it! Looking forward to it changing! I started Zumba back up recently after a car accident - that will help alot! Good luck! :smile:
  • queenbee47340
    Options
    sure looks matter in a relationship...but I know, hands down... that my husband can probably get a new girl in a minute, but she will not be me. He will be miserable and then he would think, he chose a petty thing to give me up over. So I think to myself when I am feeling blue over my weight, noone is perfect, and you can choose to choose someone upon their looks and have great arm candy...or you can choose on personality and substance and be happy.
  • OhioViking79
    OhioViking79 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I was at WalMart once and spotted this really short lady trying very hard to reach the milk stuck all the way at the back of the cooler cabinet. So i offered to get it for her. She said "oh that would be nice of you dear, but you should not be bending over like that when you are pregnant." Needless to say, i am not, and my daughter is 7...... Time to loose the weight alright.

I guess what made it humiliating was that this is not the first time a complete stranger that i have offered to help or struck up a random conversation with at the store, has commented on my being pregnant. I never say anything, just usually smile and answere the question - no point in making them feel akward too! :ohwell:
  • AngelavdH
    AngelavdH Posts: 37
    Options
    What a nasty comment from your boyfriend/husband. Mine wouldn't dare to say something like that.

For the humiliating fat experience: In my previous company the rumor went around that I was pregnant...... I didnt know about this, but when I started losing weight and when I was longer in the company someone accidentally told me so while we had a group conversation. The whole group had to laugh so apparently was involved. I also know some people of other departments had the same thoughts, so I think the whole building spoke about it (about 90 people).

I think I get asked at least once a year (since i'm 12) if I'm pregnant based on how my stomach looks. I hate it!!
  • nomorebamboozles
    nomorebamboozles Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When I was younger and a freshman in high school, in gym class I HAD to take off my shirt after sweating so much... which was mildly horrifying for me at that age and time. Unfortunately one of the girls in the changing room had never seen stretch marks before and remarked, "Why do you have scratches all over your stomach?!" I had to explain that people get stretch marks from gaining weight... not just getting pregnant. If this happened now, being 20, I wouldn't feel embarrassed but my 14 year old unbelievably self conscious self was mortified.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Your husband kind of sounds like a jerk
    Options
    The pregnant remarks seem frequent. That has happened to me a good bit. My last one was about two when someone asked me when I was due. I said , "two years ago!" I find my self feeling embarrassed for the one who made that mistake. LOL!
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say this is the most humiliating one, but definitely one that stuck to my mind. Last year, right before christmas, my boyfriend bought me a really pretty pencil skirt made out satin, so there's zero stretch to be found, and it fit me perfectly. I wore it to a christmas party and then it stayed in my closet for a few months, until we had a party coming up and I whined to my boyfriend about having nothing to wear. He said I should wear that pencil skirt, and having to confess I can no longer get it past my thighs was not a good feeling...

As to your husband, I wouldn't accept that kind of behaviour either, but then again I get pissed beyond belief if my boyfriend even looks at my ice cream bowl/whatever treat I have disapprovingly or says something to the effect of "are you sure you want to eat that, what about your diet?" even though that's a completely normal, caring thing to say when I think about it rationally.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Well when you reach your goals and look fantastic in a swimming suit you can kick his punk *kitten* to the curb.

My moment was when I was about 23 I had always been in great shape throughout high school I was very active when I went to college the activity stopped unless you count 12 oz curls with lots of reps. I was at an office party after college that was at a pool still being delusional I thought I'd look great with a shirt off but I did had a gut but still skinny every where looked like one of those Ethiopian children. No one made comments my way but I could see what I became and that's when my lifestyle changed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've had someone give me their seat in the subway because she thought I was pregnant.

At the water park, those rides where you semi sit in a buoy and they push you down the slide... my butt was touching the bottom of the pool and I could hardly push myself.

Fun times.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    We all surely have some experience related to out weight that lingers in our minds. I wouldn't say I was even fat when this happened. I am 5'3", at the time I weighed 145 pounds. I was in the process of losing weight I gained from quitting smoking. Anyhoo, we were talking about going to the beach. My now husband, then boyfriend, made the remark that I should get a bigger swim suit. I was wondering what was wrong with the one I had. I asked him what he meant and why he said that. He would never really clarify. Finally he just yelled at me that I look disgusting in my swim suit. Needless to say, I haven't put on a swim suit since. I actually bought one last year, but I could never bring myself to wear the thing.

When you look back on these things do they motivate you? Do you feel a sense of hopelessness that drives you to failure over and over?

And oh lady! There are much better men out there! Don't stay because you feel compelled to.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've always had bad asthma, and someone asked me once if I was put on prednisone again. I was so confused, until I realized that my face was that fat!
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options

^This. Your spouse can be tactful and motivate you with kind words, but humiliate you? That's just cruel.
  • jesszds82
    jesszds82 Posts: 16
    Options
    It makes me really sad that someone you love made you feel humiliated. You are so wonderful, and I love reading your posts,etc. I don't want to go on a husband-bashing tirade because I don't know the situation, but I just want to put it out there that is just plain mean and nasty. Very disrespectful.

I have been heavy most of my life, so I have a million humiliating experiences. I think the worst was years ago when I was a junior in high school. I was prom dress shopping at a store called, 'Cache' , and the saleswoman basically asked me to leave the store because they didn't make dresses for people my size (I was an 18 then, and probably a 20-something dress size). She wouldn't even let me touch the gowns. I felt so low. So yeah, don't shop there! They're snobby and mean! hahaha

Though, lately, I can't say that I've payed attention to anything humiliating. I'm older, and at this point in life if people have something nasty to say about my weight, it really doesn't phase me. I accidentally cut some guy off in traffic last year, and he called me a 'fat *****'. I actually laughed and clapped and then said, "Yeah, I'd be more hurt if that came from a guy who actually had all of his teeth! Way to go, stud!" and that shut him up pretty quick. Hahaha I know, totally childish, but boy did it feel awesome! :)
  • LovelyLaura2321
    LovelyLaura2321 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I couldn't fit into a roller coaster seat at Six Flags when I was around 15 years old. It was so humiliating because the workers tried and tried to get the seat to lock. When it didn't work, I had to get up and walk away with everyone staring at me. I was so humiliated. I remember walking to the nearest food stand and getting a large soda to drink :-/

Last summer I went to a theme park and was able to fit into every single ride, and it was so amazing to conquer that!