Why is 'Step' not so popular anymore?

Options
jaz050465
jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
I've just been looking at some clips of Cathe Friedrich step DVDs and it reminded me how much I used to enjoy step classes in the 80's/ 90's. Why do you not see it so much anymore?

Replies

• SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Not sure, I personally love doing step!
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I belong to the YMCA and our gym has step classes. Or they have classes that use the step quite a lot.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Because kettlebell.

(Nothing against ANY form of exercise people adopt to get themselves in better shape, but there are definite trends and fads. If there weren't, the fitness industry couldn't continue to pull in the money it does.)
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    And it's dull. I have five different DVDs and all of them bore me to tears. I've started just doing it while watching TV so I don't want to kill myself quite so much.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I do a step class every week and have been for almost 2 years. In fact I credit step as being a major factor in my weight loss. I have a fantastic teacher and even though I am very fit, I still end that class red faced, *nackered, and covered in sweat. My step class is always busy, so I don't see this class disappearing from the schedule at my gym anytime soon.
  • perfekta
    Options
    I do a step class every week and have been for almost 2 years. In fact I credit step as being a major factor in my weight loss. I have a fantastic teacher and even though I am very fit, I still end that class red faced, *nackered, and covered in sweat. My step class is always busy, so I don't see this class disappearing from the schedule at my gym anytime soon.

I will give you it's a fantastic workout, it kicks my booty every time.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    There was a step-class at my gym last night and it was PACKED. But it only started to come back a couple months ago... Previously we had no step-classes at our gym.

I think it's maybe something many people got bored with, so went away for a while and now is making a resurgence/comeback?
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    It also depends on the teacher, when my step teacher was on holiday last year the cover arranged for her was appalling. Get a good teacher and the class can be varied, fun and a great work out.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Step classes are offered at my gym.
  • MaciLove
    MaciLove Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a Step instructor and have been so for almost 10 years. It is my favorite class format to teach. But the popularity of this type of class has dwindled in recent years. Much of it is due to the fact that Step has a steep learning curve and if you are not consistent in taking a class, it can seem as if it will never get any easier. Zumba and Spin have become and remain popular because you don't have to have any special skill set to do the class. You just go in and do it. Step doesn't allow that.

With that being said, all of my Step classes are packed and the students love it. They would die if it were to be taken off the schedule. It is a great calorie burner and a fun class...if you give it a chance!
  • LilLuLu4
    LilLuLu4 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The step class at my gym has a bit of Latin dance steps incorporated. I love that class!!! I had never done step before.
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Step is still my favorite form of cardio. I do it at least once per week. Most of the step workouts I do are Cathe Friedrich's...love her!
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I do a step class at our park and rec twice a week. Killer workout!
  • Tlbrown1985
    Options
    i do step on wednesday night.. and i loveeeee it.., my teacher is hip and gets u soooo worked up its veryyy intense.. loveeee it
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    LOL, I stil; remember my mom in the 80s... "up up down down" VHS going, she had this thing she would step up and down on.

Also, my mom was a big fan of Charlene Prickett. Anyone remember her circa 1985?? Haha, Youtube it if not. Funny 80s aerobics.
  • perfekta
    Options
    The step class at my gym has a bit of Latin dance steps incorporated. I love that class!!! I had never done step before.

That sounds fun, I love dance workouts. I wish I could find a good DVD for it, as I work out at home.
  • Kattamer81
    Options
    The gym I go to has Step classes too! I haven't done one yet but it looks like fun :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've just been looking at some clips of Cathe Friedrich step DVDs and it reminded me how much I used to enjoy step classes in the 80's/ 90's. Why do you not see it so much anymore?

I've wondered this too. It's a great way to tone the bum while doing cardio. I still have a "step" and use it every now and then at home.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    LA fitness has step classes still :-)
  • perfekta
    Options
    LOL, I stil; remember my mom in the 80s... "up up down down" VHS going, she had this thing she would step up and down on.

Also, my mom was a big fan of Charlene Prickett. Anyone remember her circa 1985?? Haha, Youtube it if not. Funny 80s aerobics.

Yeah my mom did the Jane Fonda one, and the Reebok Step one. The Reebok was hysterical, it took itself super serious, they were in this warehouse or something, and played this bad techno (redundant) music.