Why is 'Step' not so popular anymore?

Options

Replies

• Aurora1525
    Aurora1525 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I liked Step...until I discovered how bad it was for my knees. Definitely not low impact...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a decent step DVD? Most of them are pretty awful.

In fact, most of the 80's videos were pretty awful too. :laugh:

I like doing it though.

edited for comprehension. :smile:
    Cathe Frederich does have some pretty good step videos. Her IMAX step videos are pretty legendary.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thank you!
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options

But going back in the day, remember Aerobicise (a Jane Fonda type workout), and all the ESPN shows on tv with Kianna Tom, Corey Everson, Greg Valente, etc.?

images_zps4cff3bff.jpg
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    And it's dull. I have five different DVDs and all of them bore me to tears. I've started just doing it while watching TV so I don't want to kill myself quite so much.
    I have done the same thing.
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    LOL, I stil; remember my mom in the 80s... "up up down down" VHS going, she had this thing she would step up and down on.

Also, my mom was a big fan of Charlene Prickett. Anyone remember her circa 1985?? Haha, Youtube it if not. Funny 80s aerobics.

I LOVED Charlene Prickett. I moved to Canada in 1987 and watched her show faithfully (jumped around in front of the tv :D) and even taped the shows on VHS ! lol She was awesome!

I also still have my step from those days...may have to bring it out! :D
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I personally love step, but my knees hate it! It's actually very difficult to get into a step class at my gym (we do Body Step) because they are all so full! There's 30 ladies in every class, and they have at least 2 classes a day. One of these days I will make it through a whole class without having to stop and catch my breath :)
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you're talking about, the step classes at my gym are full to overfilling... maybe it's just you not seeing it anymore?
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    And it's dull. I have five different DVDs and all of them bore me to tears. I've started just doing it while watching TV so I don't want to kill myself quite so much.
    If your step tapes are so dull that you can also watch TV while doing it, then your tapes aren't doing it right!

I have been doing step for the past 14 years, both DVDs and live classes. The choreography is always changing, it's a great workout. But I have seen some tapes that are dull and repetative, so you gotta find the ones that are actually good workouts. I recommend Kelly Coffey-Meyer or Cathe Fredrich. Edited to add Christi Taylor.

My gym has combos too ie. step/kickboxing classes or step/HIIT.

I remember an old step tape by Gilad...he's so mean. He speaks with this thick accent..."and now...you get...ONE second of rest!"
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My gym has step classes, and I did them a few times... I end up getting so lost because the instructo goes and goes and goes!!! I almost twisted my ankle on it the last time I did it, so decided to stop the class - for now... :smile: Not giving up on it, just putting it aside for now, till I lose more weight... :smile:
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Les Mills' BodyStep is very popular at the gym I attend. I think one reason it is still popular is that it has evolved with the fitness trends. The newest releases are full of explosive plyometrics and interval training. It's not your mama's step class, forget about the grapevines. I love it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Just as with any other industry there are fads that come and go, and 90% of the gyms and equipment retailers out there would rather capitalize on fads (because it's just plain more lucrative) than cater specifically to the people who are smart enough to know that what worked years ago still works today (and those people are few and far in between).

The current fads all revolve around very intense and extremely difficilt testosterone-driven workouts (even for the women, yes) that involve pushing yourself to your limits in a short amount of time. Does it work? Hell yes. But is it for everybody? If you find something you enjoy better that gets the results you want without making you feel dead on your feet, more power to you.
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My gym has body step classes, i attend one every week and really enjoy it,
  • leigh0416
    leigh0416 Posts: 29
    Options
    I love step. My gym as 2 classes per week. Les Mills BodyStep is lots of fun.

They have a step DVD with the Les Mills Pump DVD program and I've done it a few times. I am dying at the end!!! It's tough!! But I love it!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Well. Looks like I'm talking rubbish. I've googled Bodystep and it looks like a number of gyms around me do it!!!!! Back to digging out my leg warmers and 'Going for the burn'...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I use steps to exercise all the time, both at work and at home. I have never heard of a step DVD or anything. I'm trying to figure out what it would consist of, since stepping up and down stairs seems pretty self-explanatory.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I use steps to exercise all the time, both at work and at home. I have never heard of a step DVD or anything. I'm trying to figure out what it would consist of, since stepping up and down stairs seems pretty self-explanatory.

Not at all, there can be some really complicated choreography.
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Since I work out at home, I picked up fitness and workout games for my wii. WiiFit an EA Sports Active: More Workouts both have step workouts. I bought an adjustable step platform to put the wii board on, and then you can adjust the tempo based on how fit/ how intense you want the workout. 30 - 40 minutes is enough to get me to burn 350-400 calories, and keeps my heart rate up, so I love it. Boring? Yes, but if you get the latter of the two games, it mixes it up with different steps that help you to keep focused. The latter game also gives you the option of stepping with out the balance board, so you can use whatever stepper you have on hand for the game.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Most people noticed the stairs lol
  • Ginnie_Fizz
    Options
    I did step when it was really popular 20 years ago but got totally bored with it. I also have zero coordination and was always tripping over my feet when the steps got tricky.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I do my "step" class while at work. I run the 8 flights of steps all the way up , and all the way down for 30 min straight, at a very fast pace .... that is one heck of a workout .......