Why is 'Step' not so popular anymore?

Options

Replies

• SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    LOL, I stil; remember my mom in the 80s... "up up down down" VHS going, she had this thing she would step up and down on.

Also, my mom was a big fan of Charlene Prickett. Anyone remember her circa 1985?? Haha, Youtube it if not. Funny 80s aerobics.

Yeah my mom did the Jane Fonda one, and the Reebok Step one. The Reebok was hysterical, it took itself super serious, they were in this warehouse or something, and played this bad techno (redundant) music.

Yep! Jane Fonda, Denise Austen, the buns of steel lady (maybe the same as one of these we listed). My mom had quite the VHS collection back in the day.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I love step. My gym as 2 classes per week. Les Mills BodyStep is lots of fun.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I think I'm still pretty popular..
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm not coordinated enough for that. I took a class with my sis after her first kiddo (nearly 18 years ago) and I was constantly falling off that d@mned step. Or going the wrong direction. Or, in general looking like an idiot!! Eventually (read @ 39 years of age) I discovered a love of running. No classes required.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I also have a step like this that I found at a garage sale. I bought a DVD for it off Ebay, but it's super boring too. I do like that it feels like I'm working my hamstrings, and I use it if my knee feels a little wonky.

41V0YgrzGL_SL500_SX300__zps4c882674.jpg
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of Cathletes out there, the step workouts are always popular on the forums. people are always asking for more of them, low impact, and so on. I usually find the choreography too difficult to follow, she has a couple I could do, and I still would love to get a step.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    the high step makes it more challenging but not if you have knee issues
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I LOVED Step until I fell on my face and felt like a total DumbA**
    My gym offers LesMills Body Step.
  • FabulouslyFitTam
    FabulouslyFitTam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I do step classes ALL the time! Les Mills classes are popular now... and my gym offers combo class like "step and core" or "step and kicbox"... they're fun!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, we had to take a PE class. I chose Step and I LOVED it. It was a fantastic workout and I got into really great shape. I've always wanted to try it again. I'm not the most graceful person, but by golly, I had fun.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fitness trends and fads are always changing....

80s and 90s were all about aerobic step classes...wait another decade, and I'm sure they'll come back around. Right now, Yoga is in, as well as various "Boot Camp" workouts...circuit training (P90X, etc). These too will eventually fade into the sunset and then again be reborn in a couple of decades.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I downloaded a torrent for Denise Austin cardio vid one day when I couldn't make it to the gym. I could not coordinate myself to do all the dance moves. I suck! LOL. I was too busy trying to figure out which leg she was kicking with, which one she was punching with, that in the end I just felt like a loser. LOL! She was all "graaapevine!!!" and I was like "wtf??" I much prefer the elliptical for my cardio because it does not require me to be coordinated. :smile:
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Exercise fads come and go. It will probably come back eventually.
    There are no step classes at my gym.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Because it's really hard on the knees?
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I go to a Step class at the gym, I don't usually enjoy aerobic type classes, but the instructor is awesome and incorporates a lot of dumbbell work in with it, it's an hour long sweat-feast, a real workout! Saying that, I tend to only do it every other week, I think I would get bored of it if I did it too often.

I agree of you don't have a good instructor it can be a bit dull, I have a step at home and do sometimes use it while watching TV but there are more effective workouts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    From my observation at several gyms I've worked at since '90, the trend I see more is workouts for females that include more resistance training. Not to say that you can't get that from a step class, but INSTRUCTORS are focusing more on females these days with resistance, endurance, speed, and explosive training. That's why Beach Body and JM is pretty popular with videos right now.
    Zumba is probably the largest growing because in a class like that, most people can move just about any way they want, have fun and enjoy the music (which may I say does have a big impact on class attendance). Unlike step, Zumba doesn't require precise counting and choreography and members don't have to be exactly correct with foot/hand/arm movements.
    The fitness industry works like any other business when it comes to appealing to customers. Since classes are more attended by women than men, classes that offer more variety in it seem to last much longer than class that get monotonous. This is why I basically change up my choreography from class to class when it comes to cardio kickboxing.

But going back in the day, remember Aerobicise (a Jane Fonda type workout), and all the ESPN shows on tv with Kianna Tom, Corey Everson, Greg Valente, etc.?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I downloaded a torrent for Denise Austin cardio vid one day when I couldn't make it to the gym. I could not coordinate myself to do all the dance moves. I suck! LOL. I was too busy trying to figure out which leg she was kicking with, which one she was punching with, that in the end I just felt like a loser. LOL! She was all "graaapevine!!!" and I was like "wtf??" I much prefer the elliptical for my cardio because it does not require me to be coordinated. :smile:

Awww! "grapevine" That just took me back to my old VHS workouts. :laugh:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a decent step DVD? Most of them are pretty awful.

In fact, most of the 80's videos were pretty awful too. :laugh:

I like doing it though.

edited for comprehension. :smile:
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Step is still offered at my gym! It is a butt kicker, holy crap it is not what it used to be many many years ago!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a decent step DVD? Most of them are pretty awful.

In fact, most of the 80's videos were pretty awful too. :laugh:

I like doing it though.

edited for comprehension. :smile:
    Cathe Frederich does have some pretty good step videos. Her IMAX step videos are pretty legendary.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition