Are you comfortable with being "thick"?

Options

Replies

• peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Just like I have never met one man into the whole chicks with a six pack and man arms look. These things only seem like the "norm" on the internet. Sure when you date a metro boy that wants to wear your skinny jeans SURE he likes that look, because well you look like a little boy and we know why men are into that.

Watch the stereotypes:

*Metrosexuals (which is so 2004) are not necessarily gay

*Not all gay men care about fashion

*Gay men are not pedophiles

Yep. And also, I know lots of men that love the 'ripped' look on women, and there's loads on this forum too!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

haha. listen, I thik there are beautiful women of all shapes and sizes, but I see the typical runway model figure, and would NOT want to look like that. Mind you, they prob wouldn't want to be "thick" and hourglass either! It's not about good vs bad, it's about loving yourself and not worrying about what men want. I FEEL healthy and awesome at a "thick" 130-140.lb 5 foot 5 1/2 woman. An ectomorph (as in model types) wouild probably feel like SHYTE at that size. It takes all sorts.

Of course it takes all types. No one should feel pressured to fit into the model/magazine mold. It's definitely about loving yourself. I choose how I want to look based on what I like, not based on what men or other women like.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I assumed the term 'thick' was in reference to a body shape being bottom heavy (pear) - not being over-weight or carry extra fat.

FYI: Miranda Kerr is Pear shape bordering on Hourglass.. if her top half were just one inch bigger, she'd be hourglass.

Anyway, yes, I'm fine with being pear, am not fine with carrying the excess fat.

Miranda Kerr may be a pear bordering on hourglass, but she's definitely been skinny and would not be referred to by "most men" as thick. (I have no idea what she looks like now.)
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I did not used to be but the amount of attention, I have been receiving recently has been unreal. So it can't be all bad x
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Im happy being thick. I never want to be scrawny. I just dont want to be fat. I have hips, a butt, thighs, tiny waist, and boobs. Truly curvy and I like it that way and now Im not fat, either :)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

All I need it the approval of myself (maybe my husband too); I don't really care what other people think of how I look.

Here here!
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    OP: You look awesome and I would be super excited to get to where you are! You look really fit and I think you should be comfortable :)

I am comfortable with being "thick" as long as I'm healthy and I don't have a belly.
    I have a belly now and am not as healthy as I should be. I want to be fit. If it's possible for me to be fit and thick then I couldn't care less about not being slender.

On a side note, what I'm not comfortable with is people making the assumption that I'm insecure about my size/weight. That's pretty irritating. Does anyone else feel that way?
  • McButtski
    McButtski Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I assumed the term 'thick' was in reference to a body shape being bottom heavy (pear) - not being over-weight or carry extra fat.

FYI: Miranda Kerr is Pear shape bordering on Hourglass.. if her top half were just one inch bigger, she'd be hourglass.

Anyway, yes, I'm fine with being pear, am not fine with carrying the excess fat.

Miranda Kerr may be a pear bordering on hourglass, but she's definitely been skinny and would not be referred to by "most men" as thick. (I have no idea what she looks like now.)

The question was asked by a girl who is not obviously over-weight (either that or her profile is taken at one hell of an angle), she referred to herself as 'thick' and asked what us 'girls' thought about us being thick too...

The thread / question posed seems to have gotten lost along the way and people are mixing up 'thick' = 'overweight' and 'what us women think' = 'what most men think'

Mirander Kerr's measurements are 'waist 24 - Hips 34'.. my goal is to get back to 'waist 25 - Hips 35' (And I'll still have thick wide hips and a big *kitten*.. in my opinion.. not too fussed what some random man's opinion on it may be. :bigsmile: )
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

The question was asked by a girl who is not obviously over-weight (either that or her profile is taken at one hell of an angle), she referred to herself as 'thick' and asked what us 'girls' thought about us being thick too...

The thread / question posed seems to have gotten lost along the way and people are mixing up 'thick' = 'overweight' and 'what us women think' = 'what most men think'

Mirander Kerr's measurements are 'waist 24 - Hips 34'.. my goal is to get back to 'waist 25 - Hips 35' (And I'll still have thick wide hips and a big *kitten*.. in my opinion.. not too fussed what some random man's opinion on it may be. :bigsmile: )

Sure, not every response was to the OP, but that's what happens in a thread. People are going to respond to other comments in the thread, otherwise we just may as well create polls rather than discussions. Miranda's measurements don't matter to me, because I still think most would consider her skinny and not thick, whether that's overweight or not, but substitute any woman in there that you do consider skinny and not thick and my point is the same. Different types are attractive to different people, and skinny women are attractive to many men (and women.) (I don't consider myself a "skinny" person, so I'm not feeling defensive.)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Just a few thoughts. When men call a woman they are dating thick it is most often a compliment. Sometimes it could be one of those back handed compliments from men that think that if they try to lower a woman's self-esteem by using ambiguous terms that she won't ever leave him. But, in this case I can see that it is indeed a true compliment (and has been taken as such, which it should be).

All of us women that are happily in a long term relationship or marriage (with a man) are with a man that adores our particular figure and he will tell us all the reasons why he likes that. Those are not things I generally share with others because those are personal conversations between my husband and I. Of course he adores me. And he respects all women and would not down talk any woman's body. But, if I were to talk about his preferences for him, it could sound that way.

I am also a small, slight pear shape. I am petite, but have the proportions of a lot of the pear shaped models (perhaps at least overall one inch smaller, since I am so much shorter). So, no one would ever call me thick (I have a 23 inch waist). But, I have been referred to by my booty, everywhere I have been, since I was a young teenager. And although my measurements are similiar, just slightly smaller than the lingerie models, I'm sure if thigh measurements were included that mine would be bigger.

And I will never understand why people think they can say what most men IRL like and want and are attracted to. Newsflash: whatever body type you have, you will have a biased data set in which it appears most men go wild over your particular body type because your entire life experience will be men going absolutely wild over your body and telling you why they like it. This has been my experience, so I know very well that I have a body type that a lot of men love. But, I also know from seeing other women and from the media and forums like this, that there are just as many (maybe even more men since they tend to claim everyone thinks the same way as them) that would probably not prefer my body type. I am fine with that.

Lastly, it is most healthy and natural for all women to love and adore their own figure type because it's their own and they can do so much amazing stuff with their body and enjoy their body for themselves and with their partners. But, just because I adore my own figure and do not want to change it, it does not mean I do not adore other female figures. I do. I like variety. I like women that have a figure like me and I like women that have a figure that is extremely different from me. I admire the human form, male and female, and all different body types. All body types have something about their figure that I find attractive, interesting, appealing.

And one more thing: People need to learn what the definition of a fact is. A lot of people here are stating their opinion (and at times uninformed opinion) with the preface of: FACT. It's like when people misuse the term: literally. And following this line of thought I'd like to also add that a person can be skinny and fit and look great naked.
  • McButtski
    Options

Sure, not every response was to the OP, but that's what happens in a thread. People are going to respond to other comments in the thread, otherwise we just may as well create polls rather than discussions. Miranda's measurements don't matter to me, because I still think most would consider her skinny and not thick, whether that's overweight or not, but substitute any woman in there that you do consider skinny and not thick and my point is the same. Different types are attractive to different people, and skinny women are attractive to many men (and women.) (I don't consider myself a "skinny" person, so I'm not feeling defensive.)

I'm aware of the nature of threads, thanks for the clarification though, appreciated.

My initial reply on this thread was in answer to the OP. My Second post was simply stating what question I was answering, incase there be a mis-understanding. My response above was letting you know, again, what question I was answering - that's all.. I honestly have no idea why you're quoting me nor what point you're trying to make. Consider it made though, I'm sure someone, somewhere, gets what you're saying. :happy:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I get what FlaxMilk is saying, completely. She has made excellent points in this thread.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

I'm aware of the nature of threads, thanks for the clarification though, appreciated.

My initial reply on this thread was in answer to the OP. My Second post was simply stating what question I was answering, incase there be a mis-understanding. My response above was letting you know, again, what question I was answering - that's all.. I honestly have no idea why you're quoting me nor what point you're trying to make. Consider it made though, I'm sure someone, somewhere, gets what you're saying. :happy:

I can't even remember anymore why I began quoting you, but I think I was responding to the Miranda Kerr comment since I was the one who mentioned her. I continued conversing with you when you responded to me, I believe. As you said, it doesn't matter, since you aren't following, so cheers talking with you, and thanks Binary Pulsar. :flowerforyou:
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You do not look "thick" at all to me. You look thin. Personally, I try not to base my self-worth on what others think. My boyfriend, whom I've known for 23 years, wants me to gain a little weight back. Nope, ain't happening. I like where I am now. He knows that how I feel about myself is most important to my mental stability. I will never be a size 0 and that's OK with me!!
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I'm pear shaped and wide hiped with tons of curves. I've finally gotten used to being refered to to as "thick" in a good way. My boyfriend constantly tells me that he would hate to have a girl with tiny little legs and no *kitten*, so that is really encouraging as well. Plus I do see waaaaay more positive reinforcement for curves lately. I wanted to know what you "think" or curvy ladies thought about it and if you're compfortable being that way? What ways do you keep your figure so fine and what problems do you have?

Add me :)

OP, getting back on track, looking at your profile pic, you have a gorgeous body. You have nothing to worry about. Someone may consider you to have a "thicker" build, but honestly what comes to mind when I look at your picture is just to be impressed with your shape and fitness. Keep it up! :drinker:
  • McButtski
    Options
    I can't even remember anymore why I began quoting you, but I think I was responding to the Miranda Kerr comment since I was the one who mentioned her. I continued conversing with you when you responded to me, I believe. As you said, it doesn't matter, since you aren't following, so cheers talking with you, and thanks Binary Pulsar. :flowerforyou:

LOL - I thought you were calling me 'Binary Pulsar' as an insult!.. Even looked it up - was puzzled as to why you would call me a 'white dwarf' or a 'neutron star'.. :laugh:

Anyway, she gets your point, all's well that ends well!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Just like I have never met one man into the whole chicks with a six pack and man arms look. These things only seem like the "norm" on the internet. Sure when you date a metro boy that wants to wear your skinny jeans SURE he likes that look, because well you look like a little boy and we know why men are into that.

Watch the stereotypes:

*Metrosexuals (which is so 2004) are not necessarily gay

*Not all gay men care about fashion

*Gay men are not pedophiles

Yep. And also, I know lots of men that love the 'ripped' look on women, and there's loads on this forum too!

You're quite right.
  • JKS76
    JKS76 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm a densely built quite curvy woman and I used to hate it. Now I love it because I've realised I've got a lot of power in these chunky thighs. Concentrating in what your body can do rather than what it looks like can really help .
  • sweetycne
    sweetycne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    oh these comments are super hilarious
    !!!

but in regards to the original post: you can't help the way your body was already made :) i am VERY comfortable with my CURVES :) i just want to be healthy and have no extra tummy

it's really just about accepting what you are and not trying to be someone else :):) BE HAPPY :):)
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    OP: You look awesome and I would be super excited to get to where you are! You look really fit and I think you should be comfortable :)

I am comfortable with being "thick" as long as I'm healthy and I don't have a belly.
    I have a belly now and am not as healthy as I should be. I want to be fit. If it's possible for me to be fit and thick then I couldn't care less about not being slender.

On a side note, what I'm not comfortable with is people making the assumption that I'm insecure about my size/weight. That's pretty irritating. Does anyone else feel that way?

N/m evidently I'm an idiot who doesn't know what the term "thick" means. I'll alert the good folks at Merriam-Webster right away to save simpletons like me from the confusion so the world will know only to refer to pear shaped women as "thick".

Honestly I thought it referred to the type of figure seen in plus size models... larger, but carried well.