Body pump as weight training ?

Options

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I consider it as a combination of cardio and strength.. just do it a few times a week, maybe you will make your way to the heavy lifting area but I wouldn't really worry about much about whether it's serious weight training or not. You are using weights, that's all that matters. Do what works for you at your own pace
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    What if all the "bulky men" started taking your Body Pump class?

As stated numerous times-Body Pump is a great Cardio class. Seriously, if you really want to lift, you need to get over whatever your insecurities are and lift in the free weight session. Maybe hiring a personal trainer for a couple of sessions might help you.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I do body pump 2 times a week and I can see muscle definition, and I am steadily increasing my weights... so while I can't say it's the same as lifting in the weight room it offers way more than cardio. If you are lifting heavy enough, you are doing the moves properly/with resistence and you are working hard enough to increase your weights there is a benefit to it.

You want cardio, go for a run.

ETA: So are the ones suggesting pump is only cardio, also suggesting using the circuit weight machines is only cardio too?
    I have seen FAR more changes in my muscles/body, since starting body pump.

I don't think anyone said it's ONLY cardio. It is primarily cardio in nature--yes. I don't get the comparison between body pump and the weight machines.

Actually, a few people here are insisting it's just cardio. If you have weights in your hand, it can be considered weight training, low rep, high rep, it doesn't matter. Everyone's definition of "weight training" is different. I have moved away from these kind of classes as my primary source of weight lifting, now spending a lot of time in the free weights area with barbells.. I still consider both to be weight lifting, one just has more cardio involved than the other.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I do body pump 2 times a week and I can see muscle definition, and I am steadily increasing my weights... so while I can't say it's the same as lifting in the weight room it offers way more than cardio. If you are lifting heavy enough, you are doing the moves properly/with resistence and you are working hard enough to increase your weights there is a benefit to it.

ETA: So are the ones suggesting pump is only cardio, also suggesting using the circuit weight machines is only cardio too?

I don't think anyone said it's ONLY cardio. It is primarily cardio in nature--yes. I don't get the comparison between body pump and the weight machines.

You don't get the comparision? Lifting a bar with weights on it for biceps, is the same as sitting at the machine moving it for biceps.. it's a different tactic but works the same muscle. I did the weight circuit for close to a year, then have been at body pump for 3 months.. the results I have seen in the last 3 months of body pump are FAR GREATER than anything I ever saw on the weight machines.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Actually, a few people here are insisting it's just cardio. If you have weights in your hand, it can be considered weight training, low rep, high rep, it doesn't matter. Everyone's definition of "weight training" is different. I have moved away from these kind of classes as my primary source of weight lifting, now spending a lot of time in the free weights area with barbells.. I still consider both to be weight lifting, one just has more cardio involved than the other.

That's great that you consider it both. That's great that you consider anything involving weight 'weight training'. There is actually a set standard of what is considered 'weight training' (or more correctly stated 'strength training'), and what is considered endurance/cardio.

Bodypump is absolutely the latter.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    been down this road before with this argument but the class ain't cardio intense the only time my heart rate really gets elevated is with the jump squats
  • kimad
    Options
    What if all the "bulky men" started taking your Body Pump class?

As stated numerous times-Body Pump is a great Cardio class. Seriously, if you really want to lift, you need to get over whatever your insecurities are and lift in the free weight session. Maybe hiring a personal trainer for a couple of sessions might help you.

A lot of big men do take Body Pump..
  • crisanderson27
    Options

You don't get the comparision? Lifting a bar with weights on it for biceps, is the same as sitting at the machine moving it for biceps.. it's a different tactic but works the same muscle. I did the weight circuit for close to a year, then have been at body pump for 3 months.. the results I have seen in the last 3 months of body pump are FAR GREATER than anything I ever saw on the weight machines.

What kinds of sets were you doing with the machines? What kind of weight?
    been down this road before with this argument but the class ain't cardio intense the only time my heart rate really gets elevated is with the jump squats

Walking is cardio. I walk all the time without elevating my heart rate.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options

That's great that you consider it both. That's great that you consider anything involving weight 'weight training'. There is actually a set standard of what is considered 'weight training' (or more correctly stated 'strength training'), and what is considered endurance/cardio.

Categorize it any way you want. You will get strength gains in bodypump as long as you are working to fatigue. You will get MORE gains if you do lower reps, but that doesn't mean you will get ZERO gains from high reps. That is a persistent myth that is not supported by research.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options

so what if i am doing pyramid set???? i am doing just as many reps as in a body pump class so is that considered endurance/cardio too???

a bunch of freaking know it all that dont know **** just because they are afraid to try new stuff. 3 sets of 10-12 reps of the same exercise over and over again gets very boring; keep it fresh
  • kimad
    Options
    You will get strength gains in bodypump as long as you are working to fatigue.

Exactly... like I said before, if you lift heavy enough, use resistence/follow proper form, and work to fatigue you will make gains.
    I am proof of it.

Don't get me wrong some people in my class use an empty bar and have no resistence in their moves and you wonder why they are there....
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

OK well "that's great" that you feel this way. I personally don't care :laugh:

If you pick up a weight during a cardio session, it becomes more than just a cardio session. The standard is what YOU set in your mind. Telling someone to jump into the free weights area because you don't consider a workout that incorporates weights in your standards doesn't mean it is any less part of the general scope of weight training.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Categorize it any way you want. You will get strength gains in bodypump as long as you are working to fatigue. You will get MORE gains if you do lower reps, but that doesn't mean you will get ZERO gains from high reps. That is a persistent myth that is not supported by research.

Who ever said there would be no gains? You get strength gains in your legs running miles on end as well...but that doesn't qualify it as 'strength training'.

Look at it like this, it's an overlapping scale. Low reps (4-6 or so) for strength, mid reps (8-12) for building muscle, high reps for endurance (15+). You will build endurance with low reps, just not much. You will build strength with high reps, just not much. Many people work in the middle range for some of both benefits. For fat burning, I want hormonal response...which is promoted most efficiently in the low rep range. Plus I...and those I most often deal with...are looking for strength improvement and fat loss far more than 'bigger muscles', or to be able to 'lift weights longer' etc.

Form follows function.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

so what if i am doing pyramid set???? i am doing just as many reps as in a body pump class so is that considered endurance/cardio too???

a bunch of freaking know it all that dont know **** just because they are afraid to try new stuff. 3 sets of 10-12 reps of the same exercise over and over again gets very boring; keep it fresh

I agree, it's very boring. I just would hate to see someone who is curious complete stop what is working for them at their pace because some of us more 'advanced' lifters don't "consider" it to be partial weight training. I think this class is too easy for me but to another, it may be the beginning of learning a love for lifting.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

If you pick up a weight during a cardio session, it becomes more than just a cardio session. The standard is what YOU set in your mind. Telling someone to jump into the free weights area because you don't consider a workout that incorporates weights in your standards doesn't mean it is any less part of the general scope of weight training.

It's not just me...it's a fitness industry standard...used so everyone can be on the same page when they discuss exercise programs (instead of just flinging wild opinions based on how they 'feel'). Go argue it with the people that developed it.

And I didn't tell her to jump into freeweights. You might take a look at what was actually written before replying next time.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'd have thought 'muscular endurance training' would describe body pump?

If you're starting with very little, I'm sure it'll help adding a bit - but no where near what you could be doing with starting strength or similar.

Personally, I'd say just give the free-weights a go.
    If people are thinking "what are they doing here", it's guaranteed to be someone that doesn't know what they're doing themselves!

It is still could be worth going along to a body pump or two to start out as they do show you good form generally.
  • kimad
    Options

I agree, it's very boring. I just would hate to see someone who is curious complete stop what is working for them at their pace because some of us more 'advanced' lifters don't "consider" it to be partial weight training. I think this class is too easy for me but to another, it may be the beginning of learning a love for lifting.

I agree... there will come a time where I will have to leave the pump class for the larger muscles. I am getting very close to being unable to lift my squat weight above my head -- so I will need the machine for squats.
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Holy pissing contest.
    Body Pump is beneficial. It taught me the basics of lifting, which eventually gave me the confidence to go lift with the bros on the freeweight side. I saw major improvement in my definition after a few weeks. And it was fun.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

It's not just me...it's a fitness industry standard...used so everyone can be on the same page when they discuss exercise programs (instead of just flinging wild opinions based on how they 'feel'). Go argue it with the people that developed it.

And I didn't tell her to jump into freeweights. You might take a look at what was actually written before replying next time.

I read very carefully. You're just coming off as really pushy and argumentative... OP is not at your level, if you are here to be helpful, start off by posting links that back up your claims of "fitness industry standard" so that we all may be educated instead of arguing with anyone who doesn't post what you think. It doesn't make it fact and you won't change my mind. :smile:
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Who ever said there would be no gains? You get strength gains in your legs running miles on end as well...but that doesn't qualify it as 'strength training'.

You will build muscle with high reps. And it isn't "doing squat for you" (your words) in terms of strength training, if you are working to fatigue. Your post on what builds muscle implied that you won't build muscle with high reps. Low, medium, high all will build muscle using different mechanisms and with differing levels of increase. Medium may be "the best" but it doesn't mean that bodypump "isn't going to do squat" because it is high reps.