Body pump as weight training ?

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Who ever said there would be no gains? You get strength gains in your legs running miles on end as well...but that doesn't qualify it as 'strength training'.

You will build muscle with high reps. And it isn't "doing squat for you" (your words) in terms of strength training, if you are working to fatigue. Your post on what builds muscle implied that you won't build muscle with high reps. Low, medium, high all will build muscle using different mechanisms and with differing levels of increase. Medium may be "the best" but it doesn't mean that bodypump "isn't going to do squat" because it is high reps.

Lets try this a different way. What are you doing in bodypump? Trying to 'build muscle'? Trying to 'burn fat'? What's your goal? Weight loss? Strength gain? Lets establish a basis for discussion here.
    I read very carefully. You're just coming off as really pushy and argumentative... OP is not at your level, if you are here to be helpful, start off by posting links that back up your claims of "fitness industry standard" so that we all may be educated instead of arguing with anyone who doesn't post what you think. It doesn't make it fact and you won't change my mind.

Links? You need links to back up one of the basics of strength training? I'm sorry miss, but it's pretty clear that 'links' won't change your mind either. And honestly, if I'm coming off as pushy and argumentative, you're coming off as defensive and stubborn (I was going to add another adjective here as well...but it wouldn't come off as politely as I'm intending this...so I didn't. You can fill in the blank yourself) lol. This isn't about what 'level' someone is at. Level, in general...is a factor of the amount of weight you're lifting, not the routine you're doing.

Also, you clearly did NOT read carefully. I never told the OP to enter the freeweight section. You stated that I did. Pretty cut and dry.
  • shellcan35
    shellcan35 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am the same way when it comes to being intimidated around the "BULKY" guys in the gym. Although they probably aren't thinking about it the way that I am. If strength training is what you really want maybe you could try working with a personal trainer for a few weeks until you are comfortable with what you are doing in the free weight area and go during non-peak times, or possibly take a friend with you to help distract you from the guys. :-)

I have tried the body pump class and definitely felt a burn in my muscles, especially my legs. I am sure you gain muscle in the class (and there was only one guy in the class). Just take it for a few weeks and see if you notice the difference yourself. If you don't, then at least you have some ideas for lifting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I never get these debates. It's like people want to wave a magic wand over an activity and magically declare it's something that it obviously isn't. If I go for a 3 mile run with dumbbells in my hand do I suddenly call it heavy lifting? If I am doing heavy lifting in the gym but add a few jumping jacks between sets, do I get to log it as an hour of aerobics?

Body pump is not lifting, sorry. It's a form of cardio, like circuit training. Does it have benefits? Absolutely. Can you use it exclusively to get in shape? Maybe, if that's your thing. But it's not lifting. For my non-lifting day work, I take dumbbells or a 50-80 lb sandbag and do a series of exercises for 40 mins with no rest breaks. Am I lifting something heavy? Sure feels like it. But am I 'lifting heavy'? No. No. No. No. That's cardio.

Do Body Pump if you want. Don't lift if you don't want to. But don't NOT lift and then tell people that you're lifting.

Last note: if I'm paying for a gym and there's a section I'd like to use, then I'm going to use it. I don't avoid the yoga studio because there's too many flexible women in there or avoid the spin bikes because there's too many endurance athletes in there. It's my gym same as it's their gym and if I choose to not go in those areas, it's because I'm just making an excuse to not do something I didn't want to do anyway.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The weight section of my gym is too full of bulky men, and I just don't dare to go there, so I'm sticking to the machines, even if I know it isn't as effective as free weights. So, I was wondering if Body Pump class would be better than machines or not ? I don't wanna begin this if it doesn't provide me something more.
    Thanks for your answer !

Why not work out with the guys? Nothing wrong there, and they can be very helpful. They won't judge you, certainly.

I agree. I am five foot nothing and have never had a problem getting the meatheads to move out. You can do it!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I never get these debates. It's like people want to wave a magic wand over an activity and magically declare it's something that it obviously isn't. If I go for a 3 mile run with dumbbells in my hand do I suddenly call it heavy lifting? If I am doing heavy lifting in the gym but add a few jumping jacks between sets, do I get to log it as an hour of aerobics?

Body pump is not lifting, sorry. It's a form of cardio, like circuit training. Does it have benefits? Absolutely. Can you use it exclusively to get in shape? Maybe, if that's your thing. But it's not lifting. For my non-lifting day work, I take dumbbells or a 50-80 lb sandbag and do a series of exercises for 40 mins with no rest breaks. Am I lifting something heavy? Sure feels like it. But am I 'lifting heavy'? No. No. No. No. That's cardio.

Do Body Pump if you want. Don't lift if you don't want to. But don't NOT lift and then tell people that you're lifting.

Last note: if I'm paying for a gym and there's a section I'd like to use, then I'm going to use it. I don't avoid the yoga studio because there's too many flexible women in there or avoid the spin bikes because there's too many endurance athletes in there. It's my gym same as it's there gym and if I choose to not go in those areas, it's because I'm just making an excuse to not do something I didn't want to do anyway.

Everything he said.

I get how the "man" section of the gym can be intimidating, but you have every right to be there if you want. If you don't, that's cool, but don't let fear prevent you from going over there and doing your thing.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I think pump falls somewhere between cardio and lifting....
  • sac4fd
    sac4fd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I take BP classes 3x a week and I love them. I can't speak as to whether they are better than machines, but I will say that BP has lowered my body fat, helped me lose 10 inches, and I can lift more now than when I started the class.

Most importantly it got me interested in weight lifting and I'm about to transition to heavy lifting. I've always been intimidated by the free weights section too but this class has taught me the basic moves and form to feel confident enough to venture over there.

I'd say at least check it out!
  • kimad
    Options

Most importantly it got me interested in weight lifting and I'm about to transition to heavy lifting. I've always been intimidated by the free weights section too but this class has taught me the basic moves and form to feel confident enough to venture over there.

I agree with this!! ME TOO!! My friend does 'the new rules of lifting for women' where I am a bit intimidated by it. Also the co-ed gyms, but now that I have been at pump and have the form, I want to give it a try!! Pump has definately got me interested in more!!

While Pump is not heavy lifting, it certainly isn't just cardio....

ETA: and really at the end of the day, I'd rather someone be in the gym doing ANYTHING than sitting on their *kitten*
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Body pump is not lifting agreed.. we are talking about weight training though which is really a large scope when you think about. Maybe I am too open minded.

Anyway, I found it hard until recently to even work up the nerve to get into the lifting section of my gym. All I saw were amazingly built men who spent a lot of time at the machines. It was intimidating.. one day I just decided to go do barbell squats and realized that all my fears had gone away. No one was watching me, harassing me and everyone gave me my space (as I gave them theirs). After that, I went to the bench press area, and spent a lot of time waiting and watching. I wanted something more challenging than the fitness classes at the Y so I was ready mentally for a new weight training routine.

I highly recommend lifting if you want to get serious with your weight training and if you find BodyPump not challenging, however, I also believe in taking baby steps. You are more likely to quit if you jump head over heels from what may be still challenging to you to another new world. People on MFP including crisanderson will be here when you are ready to make that move and have any questions. Best of luck
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options

*gasp* are you suggesting that this is not a black and white issue???

I used to go to a functional fitness gym. Almost every class was a mix of "lifting" and cardio. Of course, I might be offending certain folks here by claiming that me doing 10 dead lifts of a heavy kettlebell is lifting just as jumping rope for 1000 revolutions is cardo. Who knows...
  • Shen191
    Shen191 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I taught Body Pump for about two years before stopping to have my bub. Post bub, I now do weight training by myself near the boys in the free weights section. After quite a long time around gyms...I don't feel intimidated at all in that section myself anymore but totally understand you not wanting to be there yet. It can be very intimidating until you feel ready. I often see women/girls wander over, dying to have a go of something and kind of slipping away...scared of looking silly as they learn.

I loved my time teaching Pump, I guess the biggest difference I can tell you - is free weights will change your body faster and you will become stronger quicker. Pump is all about keeping the weight lighter and doing a LOT of reps. So each muscle group - you will spend a minimum of five minutes....sometimes up to about seven minutes doing very similar movements. Whereas these days I do four sets of eight reps of each exercise - and am by far in much better shape that when I was teaching - even post baby. Although Pump is FANTASTIC if you have no to little idea about weights/exercises/correct form/etc. The instructor is right there telling you how to perform each move to help you not become injured. So it's always a great place to start.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options

Last note: if I'm paying for a gym and there's a section I'd like to use, then I'm going to use it. I don't avoid the yoga studio because there's too many flexible women in there or avoid the spin bikes because there's too many endurance athletes in there. It's my gym same as it's there gym and if I choose to not go in those areas, it's because I'm just making an excuse to not do something I didn't want to do anyway.

Agree!
  • kimad
    Options

*gasp* are you suggesting that this is not a black and white issue???

I used to go to a functional fitness gym. Almost every class was a mix of "lifting" and cardio. Of course, I might be offending certain folks here by claiming that me doing 10 dead lifts of a heavy kettlebell is lifting just as jumping rope for 1000 revolutions is cardo. Who knows...

I am just maintaining that pump is not only cardio.
  • daphnemoon77
    Options
    This thread is hilarious, I am particularly enjoying reading the haughty comments of heavy lifters who clearly have never been to a class. I've been doing pump for several years now and I can tell you that my favourite moments are when those like these cocky 'heavy lifters' come to class and think they know it all. Yet halfway through the second track, the squat track, they realise they don't. They struggle so much with endurance, their form is appalling and they have to put their weights down well before the breaks. Yet they are probably lifting a fraction of what they would lift usually. They never come back.

Giving advice on classes you don't attend makes as much sense as me giving advice on heavy lifting which I don't do.

Ultimately I would like to combine the endurance benefits of pump with the strength gains of low reps, but I have so much more fun in pump than I would ever have lifting on my own in the gym. I have substantially increased my upper body strength through pump and it is very good for teaching technique.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Anyway, I found it hard until recently to even work up the nerve to get into the lifting section of my gym. All I saw were amazingly built men who spent a lot of time at the machines. It was intimidating.. one day I just decided to go do barbell squats and realized that all my fears had gone away. No one was watching me, harassing me and everyone gave me my space (as I gave them theirs). After that, I went to the bench press area, and spent a lot of time waiting and watching. I wanted something more challenging than the fitness classes at the Y so I was ready mentally for a new weight training routine.

I highly recommend lifting if you want to get serious with your weight training and if you find BodyPump not challenging, however, I also believe in taking baby steps. You are more likely to quit if you jump head over heels from what may be still challenging to you to another new world. People on MFP including crisanderson will be here when you are ready to make that move and have any questions. Best of luck

Excellent, and reasonable post. I agree with this 150%.

For the record, I never took exception to bodypump, just to people stating that it is weight/strength training.

To the OP, again...if you don't want to lift freeweights, the machines can absolutely be useful to you. I'd highly suggest freeweights, but that choice is yours.
    Of course, I might be offending certain folks here by claiming that me doing 10 dead lifts of a heavy kettlebell is lifting just as jumping rope for 1000 revolutions is cardo.

Why would that offend anyone? If the kettlebell is heavy enough you can only lift it 10x...it's absolutely strength training/lifting. Pushups are strength training as well, if performed in a manner where your reps are limited to under 15 (preferably under 12 in my opinion) by your strength. Same for jumping jacks (if you're so out of shape you can't do 15 in a row). Those things become 'heavy' lifting if you can't perform them more than 8x. For some people the act of standing up is absolutely strength training. The thing that differentiates strength training (and heavy lifting) from cardio/endurance type exercises, isn't the exercise itself. It's the effort required to lift the weight involved. We gauge this by the amount of reps you can perform with a given weight. I can do squats with a bare barbell (45lbs usually) forever. Is this lifting for me? NO. Add 300lbs to that bar...and suddenly my reps drop to 4. Same exercise, and now it's heavy lifting. For my 15yr old daughter...the bar alone is heavy lifting.

Is my point clearer now?
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    This thread is hilarious, I am particularly enjoying reading the haughty comments of heavy lifters who clearly have never been to a class. I've been doing pump for several years now and I can tell you that my favourite moments are when those like these cocky 'heavy lifters' come to class and think they know it all. Yet halfway through the second track, the squat track, they realise they don't. They struggle so much with endurance, their form is appalling and they have to put their weights down well before the breaks. Yet they are probably lifting a fraction of what they would lift usually. They never come back.

Giving advice on classes you don't attend makes as much sense as me giving advice on heavy lifting which I don't do.

Ultimately I would like to combine the endurance benefits of pump with the strength gains of low reps, but I have so much more fun in pump than I would ever have lifting on my own in the gym. I have substantially increased my upper body strength through pump and it is very good for teaching technique.

I haven't seen one 'haughty comment' from a 'heavy lifter' who is 'giving advice' on your bodypump. Your statement itself proves that it is an endurance workout, not a strength workout. That's what all the 'heavy lifters' I've seen in this thread have been saying.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Of course the heavy lifters don't excel in your class. They aren't endurance athletes. The fact that they do so poorly in a body pump class sort of proves the point that it's not heavy lifting, doesn't it?
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Of course the heavy lifters don't excel in your class. They aren't endurance athletes. The fact that that do so poorly in a body pump class sort of proves the point that it's not heavy lifting, doesn't it?

LOL
  • cindijelly
    cindijelly Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    pump it up!!!
  • kimad
    Options

Of course the heavy lifters don't excel in your class. They aren't endurance athletes. The fact that they do so poorly in a body pump class sort of proves the point that it's not heavy lifting, doesn't it?

I don't think ONE person said pump was heavy lifting, not one...