Does anyone struggle in high heels?

Options

Replies

• kmpublishing2
    kmpublishing2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Practice. At my heaviest (close to 300 lbs) I decided I wanted to wear heels to work everyday, and I slowly began to do it. I would wear them for an hour or two, as long as I could stand it before my feet hurt, and then switch into a pair of flats. Eventually, the time would get longer and longer before I had to switch them out. Now I wear them all day, normally with no pain. Also, start at a medium level heel and work your way up...no need to go 5" when 2" will do.
  • Linda2523
    Options
    When I started to wear high heels I had advise from a friend who went to work every day in 4 to 4.5 inch heels never a platform. Her advise was right on the money. Buy a very good pair of pumps . Spend the money it make a huge difference. Get a pair with a heel that is 3 inches or do what I did and buy a pair with a 4 inch heel. I went with the 4 inch because I was spending $150 and the 4 inch heel was my goal. Learning to wear and walk in high heels is the same as a workout. Your muscles have to get used to the angle of your foot. Most girls try wear the heels a few times and as soon as they feel the muscles reacting to the heels they stop wearing the heels and say they hurt. That pain will go away . Think of it like it is a work out. Spend as much time as you can with the heels on every other day. Go food shopping and hold on to the cart. You have to put your time in and before you know it you will not even think about your heels when you have them on. Don't buy cheep heels and practice . Anyone can do it if I can.
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have a strange walk anyway, so putting on heels (and wedges, which I love) just kind of enhances it.

However, I give no sh*ts, and just keep wearing what I like.

Although back in the day, I bought a pair of kitten heels and would wear them all over the house. Then, I just went to taller and taller heels as I got comfortable.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's a weight thing or not, but some tips I have make sure you aren't walking in them like you do normal shoes, you can't place the whole foot down at once, you place the heel down first followed by the front of the shoe unless you are on stairs or on grass, try that and practice at home and on many different surfaces until you get really good
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hate wearing high heels, they are uncomfortable and bad for your feet, knees and back!

This...I hate heels...no thanks
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I have tried for years to walk in heels but I always end up looking awkward and unsteady. I am wondering if this is related to my weight. I know a lot of skinny ladies who go clubbing in outrageously high heals and don't have any problems. I am hoping this is related to weight so one day I will be able to walk in some amazing heels.

I rarely wear heels, but I have a few pairs. So one day I decided to put on the cutest pair I had, to take my dog (a 80lb German shepherd) for a walk - because I felt like it, and didn't want to tie my running shoes.
    So we get to the door of our apartment building, which leads out to some concrete steps, about 5' high. I'd like to blame the dog and say he went after a squirrel. But nope. I caught a heel on the top of the stairs, and went flying down. Scraped up my legs and dislocated a finger. (It could have been much worse)
    The shoes went in the trash the instant I got home.
    It's not a weight thing. I am just clumsy as he**.
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I struggled at my heaviest and I struggle now still! I normally can't be bothered most of the time as it irritates my hamstrings and calves, but I do admit my legs + butt look AMAZING in them. I'm also not considered very graceful so it doesn't look too pretty :)

I just prefer barefoot or flat shoes. But practice around the house, it makes it a little easier :)
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I wear heels every day so obviously no problem for me.

It's all about practice and getting a comfortable type of shoes.

And I believe in buying good expensive shoes that, would be the combination of great quality, style and comfort. For instance, my mom looooooves Dior and Louboutins, it's the most comfortable shoes for her, and she still wears those Dior shoes she bought before I was born. It's better to buy one pair of very high quality expensive shoes a year to be able to wear them easily for years.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am "working it".

External observers may disagree, however....
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Nah, it's nothing to do with weight lol. I have never been able to walk in heels and end up in agony and looking ridiculous if I try, but then I have flat feet so that probably doesn't help. I am at one with being a shortie lol
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Don't know if someone already said this, but it is not weight related.
    I have seen really big girls in high heels and were very comfortable. I can't wear heels. I lost 50lbs and still can't wear heels. I thought less weight on me would help, but it didn't.

ETA: I have seen plenty of big drag queens work it better than anyone.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I am a dedicated high heel wearer and have been at all weights I have been. Is it easier when you are thinner? Sure. But even at my heaviest, I rock them. Two things:

Practice, practice, practice. Just wear 'em around the house for awhile to get used to them, it will become much more natural.

The other is try shoes that help you "cheat". Start with maybe wedges or espadrilles, get them high but the full bottom will make it easier to balance and what not. Then try some high heels with ankle straps or T straps of some sort. These make it waaay easier to walk in heels.

I also tend to buy heels a little tighter than other shoes. Yes, they may end up hurting your foot from being tight (we don't wear heels for comfort though, right?) but if you get heels just a little tiny bit too big (or even fit comfortably and over the span of wearing them they stretch a little and your foot sinks into the toe part more) and your heel starts slipping in and out, you are screwed. It only takes one time for your heel to NOT make it back into its place and you better hope you don't fall or break an ankle. I just bought a pair of black lace heels and they are a tad too big (but I got such a good deal and the size was European so I didn't know exactly what size I was!) and they are a ***** to walk in...I'll figure something out though. They are too beautiful to cast into the closet!
  • barbz2119
    barbz2119 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Definitely practice. I used to wear them all the time, but got out of the habit mainly because at 5' 9" married to someone the same height it made me too tall when i was with him so I stopped. Now many years later I would love to wear them again, just because you look so much more elegant in a skirt or dress with heels. However lack of practice and foot surgery has made it impossible. I do have a little practice round the house now and then in the hopes that one day the balls of my feel wont hurt while wearing them :laugh:
    On a slightly different note, has anyone found since losing weight their feet have got smaller...I've been amazed that not only my clothes are getting looser, but shoes as well!!
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I find it impossible and get very embarrassed when people laugh at me!
  • Jennikitten
    Jennikitten Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think that practice is important but so is weight. At my heaviest I couldn't walk in even tiny heals for more than a few mins but now I am actually rather good in them.

The quality of the shoe is very important though, especially for the taller shoes (my 5" Iron Fist shoes are more comfy than my 2" new look shoes). Also platforms really help as they take some of the impact
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Me!
    And I don't think weight has anything to do with it. A girl I work with is teeny tiny & she struggles.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I look like **** Emery for those of you who can remember him. I stick to my DMs
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    What you cant write the abbreviated version of Richard, the world has gone mad. my lovers surname is ****s, if ever we marry I will not be changing my name but ****ety **** **** I should be able to write it on a forum page!
  • RainingAngels
    Options
    I have tried for years to walk in heels but I always end up looking awkward and unsteady. I am wondering if this is related to my weight. I know a lot of skinny ladies who go clubbing in outrageously high heals and don't have any problems. I am hoping this is related to weight so one day I will be able to walk in some amazing heels.

I think it depends more on the shoes rather than weight. No amount of practice can help you if you're not comfortable with the shoes you have on. I have quite a few Marchez Vous heels and all of them are at a height I am comfortable with. I have tried going higher but I just can't handle them no matter how much I learn to walk with them. The only time I can think of weight being a factor in struggling with heels is if the shoes is if the heels were unsteady to begin with, like those pointy stilettos. But walking in heels for a few hours will take its toll on your legs and feet and being a bit heavy can make wearing heels very uncomfortable.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Weight makes a difference for me. No problem walking in heels when I was 120-150, but now forget it, my feet hurts after a couple of minutes. I LOOOOOOVE shoes but for now I'm sticking to flats. I will get a killer pair when I'm at goal!!