WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    This month seems to be going just like March did...I lose weight...I gain weight...feel good...feel down.....I went on an eating binge tonight....found out my sisters cancer cannot be treated and that it has grown and more spots have shown up..she lost her hubby 2yrs ago to cancer now here she is .....feeling way down so I stuffed my face with the wrong kind of food...junk...the easter candy has got to go.....
    Tomorrow is a new day and I will again try to stay on track and get serious here. But for now I will shed some tears for my sister..
    Wishing you all a low calorie day..remember to enjoy life..its not here for long...

Liz :flowerforyou:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,733 Member
    Options
    Lucy in Del.
    Thanks for telling your story,I dont say much to her about Kyle, she knows that I dont like him and neither does the rest of my family~ his own doing...
    But we love Tracy and Taliah and I will just keep praying that someday she will move on from the abusive relationship,
    my Ex,her dad wants them to stay together because of our divorce,but he is so zooed out on meds that he is just dealing with himself and not really listening to what goes on around him.
    All I can do is pray that Tracy doesnt become a statistic,he has had her in a headlock before and I know he is verbally abusive..
    but as I always say~ Karma one day will come and bite you in the :noway:
    So im waiting for that day.. at least Taliah was accepted into a good school and I know she will thrive...
    and I know she knows that the DH and I love her to pieces...:wink:
    just had 3 russell stover mini eggs, but im under my calorie count so thats good:bigsmile:
  • twotonnetarice
    twotonnetarice Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sue in Texas - there will be a per minute charge for internet if this is a major cruise line. They offer packages that make it more economical than paying the per minute charge. Have a great cruise. I am also going on a cruise and that was an incentive for me to lose weight, along with being sick and tired of being overweight. Having some stupid virus for almost two weeks was a real jump start. I had been doing 30DS, but lost several pounds when the virus took away my appetite. Seemed like a logical start.

Michele- what is Mexican Train?
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Just a quick hello.
    Keep up the good work.
    HUGS
    jane
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Renny - My heart goes out to you. I too am going through some work woes. I am in such turmoil over it all that I can’t seem to focus on anything else and I also am very fatigued. I haven’t slept well in weeks and of course my eating has not been the best lately. So sick of Outsourcing and corporate baloney! :angry:
    I am fretting about not being able to get another job because of age and seriously worried about my future, No DH here to help me out. This funk that has a hold of me just seems to compound daily with all that happens at work. Trying to put it in perspective but to many uncertainties keep me from being focused and in control.:frown:
    My most sincere Good luck wishes to you Renny, I am sure we both will find the answers we seek, hopefully sooner than later. I have a bit more time as they can’t make any changes with me until the new fiscal year in June.:tongue:

Sue in Tx – Have fun on the cruise, sounds like a perfect escape!:happy:

Judios – I love that Old Chinese proverb! :heart:

Lila – I agree, Mr. Salt is not a friend at all.:grumble:

Michelle in NC – Your ice cream plan works for me I love that idea …lol…and I also snap my asparagus off and toss the ends, I wish I had chickens to feed them to! I do like Lila’s idea of putting them in soup, will have to remember that one.:smile:

Viv – Good luck with the painting, I too need to do some painting this year. :indifferent:

Grandmallie – Man I hear ya on the some day’s "just not feeling it" I’ve had a lot of them lately! :sad:

Moxie - Baby Chicks are so darn cute! How fun! :smile:

Liz – Prayers for both you and your Sister ((HUGS)) :heart:

To all the New Ladies – Welcome! You will find lots of support and encouragement with this great group of girls.:happy:

off to log my food and then call it a day…..one last thought…….
    Real friends don’t have to speak to or see each other daily to remain in each others heart always……
    :heart: Peace ~n~ Love:heart:
    Carol in WNY
  • girlspice
    Options
    Some feel that they have to be doing an organized activity to work out but it's all about finding what you love and doing it. For example: If your weight is approximately 155 pounds, activities such as planting seedlings and shrubs, raking the lawn, and sacking leaves or grass should burn about 298 calories per hour. At this weight, mowing with a power push mower for one hour burns 334 calories, pulling weeds burns 344, and digging dirt or laying sod burns about 372. Mowing with a hand push mower burns 410 calories per hour, while chopping wood burns 446. These are not exacts, just approximates, so find what you love and just keep moving :smile:
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    bump!

i'm wondering if i'll ever be organized enough to reply to ALL of you! i SO enjoy reading the posts-- they really do help!

will try to get back here SOON!

congrats on ALL your successes, and hang in there~ it WILL happen! :flowerforyou:

janie
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    BetsieP - so sorry to hear about the loss of your sister. I treasure mine. May you find peace.

LizPlus - sorry about your sister's news, too.

Gail, metro ATL
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Hope you all had a great day. We had a good day in the operating room and all students stayed vertical LOL. Now I have a cold and sore throat. I’m kind of annoyed because this doc talked me into taking vitamin C (I hate vitamins….I think they are like snake oil) and I did for a couple of weeks, then stopped last week and now I’m sick. So now I feel like I need to take them! So this will be shorter than normal because I want to go to bed!

I see there is a lot of distress and sadness and frustration here so I want to send my prayers and good wishes to all who are having a hard time. I am with you in spirit.

M: NE has some amazing places to visit. Our zoo just was named the country’s 2nd leading attraction after the Smithsonian museum. Hmmmmm!!!!!

Congratulations to all who have lost weight and who have had NSV!!!!!

Welcome to all the newbies. These ladies are so accepting and so warm and kind you will find a true home here.

Sorry this is so short, but I’m heading to bed with my creepy germs! Amazing the cats don’t get sick since they sleep all over me.
    Oh, meant to tell you….saw the surgeon Monday and I think we are going ahead and getting Benny Beagle’s gallbladder out. IT’s a tough surgery for dogs, but now while he doesn’t have signs of illness (other than abnormal labs and ultrasounds) he’s a good risk and the vet says that treatment for gallbladder disease in dogs has gone to being much more proactive. It just breaks my heart though thinking of him being scared. I’m a tough mother, but can’t stand even keeping him from eating breakfast to have lab done!

OK gotta run. See you all tomorrow! Take care, MEg
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Good evening lovely ladies. I only have a couple of minutes. I've skimmed through posts but don't have time to reply to everyone today.
    Wanted to share some good news - I'm only .2 lbs from breaking the threshold weight I vowed never to go over again (which obviously I did). I did a little happy dance when I got off the scale this morning. :laugh: So thankful for MFP and all your wonderful support! You all kept me going even when I was frustrated and wanted to just quit and dive into a giant bowl of ice cream. Thanks:flowerforyou:

to all those who are struggling - hang in there...we are here for you:heart:
    for all those celebrating - congrats:drinker:
    for those struggling to get back on track - you can do it:love:

Have a great night! Jodios:smile::flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker:
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday everyone, I hope you had a good one. I'm not even going to try and respond to all the posts - I am not nearly awake enough for that. Worke.d 10.5 hours today, stopped at a pub for supper (mistake) had really overcooked fish and chips and a coffee. Stomach is not happy with me right now.

Wanted to comment on the asparagus question. I do break off the ends of the larger ones, because they do get woody - the soup idea is great (you can collect your ends, and carrot peelings etc. in a freezer bag until you have a bunch to make a vegetable broth.
    Our local store will quite often get the really young asparagus in and you don't have to break off as much. I used to steam it with a little lemon - but I tried it with EVOO or Balsamic Vinegar and parmesan cheese - broil it in the oven. Even my son likes it that way.

Talked with my son today, he's four provinces away at school. He caught a "cold" in February and said he was better, but he actually went to see the doctor who said it might be allergies. We did have him tested when he was little - he is allergic to feathers and cats. Could new allergies develop that weren't there before? I can't wait till the month is over and he can come home for the summer - I hate not actually being able to look at him and see for myself that he's OK.

Anyway, eyes are burning must go to bed I think! Have a great evening.

Bea, in Snowy Alberta
  • angel_bear60
    angel_bear60 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    today is a new day and i walked a half mile in our church parking lot. 13 laps is a mile, so i figure i did pretty good for the first day of doing something new. i do walking with work (i'm a direct support professional- i work with people with disabilities) but i wanted to do more and my dr. recommends (told me i had to) walk 2 miles a day. last fall i couldn't even walk 3 laps in the church lot without thinking i was going to die. today it took me 25 min which i know isn't great but at least i'm moving, and i kept a fairly even pace. granted i was pushing my grandson in a stroller but i got extra exercise and he got fresh air:) tomorrow is another day and hopefully i'll walk the same distance just a faster time! will keep you posted. this is my way of finding motivation. have a good evening.

kandy indianapolis, in
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Jeslaughter: Enjoy Vegas, but record every bite and swallow in MFP. You’ll likely be making adjustments in some decisions, and you’ll get home without a huge gain.:wink:

Kate In sunny Alberta: I hope your Ireland trip is everything you wish for.:flowerforyou:

Robin: Sorry to hear about your hives. :grumble: Sending good thoughts your way.:flowerforyou:

Christschild2: Losing 15 pounds in one month is a VERY big goal. I make my resolutions about what I do, not how well it works out. :wink: I’m more likely to meet the goal. :laugh: I’ve lost a bunch of weight so far, but never that much in a month. :noway: Good luck to you.:flowerforyou:

BetsieP: I am so sorry about the loss of your sister. You have my sincere sympathy and hope that you are healing.:flowerforyou:

Liz: I’m so sorry about your sister’s difficult situation. Prayers for strength for everyone in your family.:flowerforyou:

Jodios: Congratulations on being so close to your goal. You rock! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Since you’ll probably reach it soon, I hope you’ll stick around and cheer us on.:flowerforyou:

I had a lovely experience today. I was approached by a former student while we were in Portland and he told me all about how he is doing. I was so pleased that he spoke to me. He's had his problems but is doing well now. :happy: The pleasure of recognition and remembering is one of the rewards that a well educated person gains from a lifetime spent teaching.:heart: I think only another teacher would fully understand the thrill. Color me happy.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    tune: a slight variation of "10 Little Indians"

I gotta drink, drink, drink my water,

Yes, i know i oughta,

Log my diary, move my body,

Work it every day!

:flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

ok~ someone write the next verse! :bigsmile:

janiw
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Ok Janie, here goes:

When I'm bad I know it's not good

When I'm good I eat too much food

When I'm dead I won't give a hoot

10 little Indian boys :laugh: :laugh:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,946 Member
    Options
    :heart: :flowerforyou: Meg, Brandy and Sasha and I send hugs to Benny about his surgery……we know his mom will do what’s best for him.

:flowerforyou: Renny, you are so right that what matters most is coming home to a loving family

:flowerforyou: I may get to 23,000 steps today if I can away from the computer…..line dance is a lot of movement but doesn’t count much as steps and riding the exercise bike, weight training, and gardening are good exercise but don’t add steps.

:flowerforyou: I visited the line dance teacher I’m substituting for. Her arm is still in great pain from her fall and possibly some other things related to some illness that the doctor’s haven’t been able to diagnose and she’s having trouble staying on her feet for too long. She talked a bit about her possible retirement, but for now I reassured her that there were three of us who would make sure that her class keeps going. I’ll be teaching the first half of the class on Friday and another woman will teach the second half so I can leave early to go to Jake’s appointment with the cardiologist (this doctor comes over from Seattle once a month so we can see him here).

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

If you're moving, you're losing......just put one foot in front of the other :bigsmile:
  • catlbeginagain
    catlbeginagain Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    April Resolutions:

* Continue my personal challenge, cardio every day/strength training every other day (at least 2-3/week)
    * Weight to be well within next decade (that I'm hovering .8 lbs over currently)
    * Diversify cardio workouts-get into the pool and more classes

Thanks for this!!...now off to bed...:yawn:
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Went to the gym as scheduled and started lifting again. And got in another 15 miles on my bike even though I felt yucky with allergies or a cold or something.

exercise.png
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends.
    Have to make this a short post. I'm buried in work, and prepping for a conference which is my biggest stress yet also my greatest contribution to my organization. My rigor around posting has already suffered. However, my early AM workouts remain a bedrock of my health regime. Will start a 10 day business trip tomorrow...wish me luck!

To all the new visitors, welcome. Please keep coming back.
    To everyone else, I send you profound thanks for your consistent postings of encouragement and compassion. I pray for all of you to find peace, health, fruitful careers and harmony at home.

Stay well,
    Rori in the Colorado Foothills
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Atrive2BLean and vickil - welcome

Lila - one time I used the ends of the asparagus for soup and even so, I still thought it was a bit woody. Ever since then, I've been breaking the asparagus. But I always feel so bad like I'm throwing so much away, but on the other hand, I know I don't want to eat the hard stuff

Had a horrible thought in yoga today, which caused some of my stress eating. Would Bryan get married and NOT tell us the date???? As a result of my stress, I had a small pack of M&M's and then some Starburst JellyBeans. That isn't like me, but I can't seem to help myself. He's just being so -- to me anyway -- selfish. He keeps saying over and over "this is about me". Yes, admitted, the wedding day should be focused mainly on the bride and groom. But that doesn't mean that you totally ignore everyone else's feelings. To me, that's a sign of immaturity. I need to get this stress eating under control, I really do. Well, this afternoon we have senior bowling.

Oh, Bryan told Jess that "message received" about us wanting to talk to Dianna and that he's "going to think about it".

grandmalle - I'm sorry you didn't get more time to spend with your daughter and granddaughter, but glad you got at least SOME time with them.

M and Kate - Mexican Train dominoes is basically dominoes. Why it's called Mexican Train, have no clue whatsoever. There was one table and we were commenting how they were so intense. At our table, we were so busy talking, that sometimes we'd forget whose turn it was!

Did an hour of yoga today and then an hour of deep water. Tomorrow I'll do a DVD Jari Love Extremely Ripped.

mcgray - welcome. You're not counting down the days, are you??????? lol

jb - I, too, blow a perfectly good eating day especially if for some reason I'm up late at night. Like last night, by the time we got home, I started to munch as I was putting the veggies away. How do you peel the outer portion of the asparagus?

merrymerit - welcome! To me, its just hard sometimes, I feel so good when I eat "clean" but then life gets in the way (like right now, Jess will be here tomorrow with her new bf, he's never met us and we've never met him so I'll make some cookies that I know Vince likes and so does Jess, I want to have things that he'll eat, too) and we get derailed. The important thing is to get right back up on that horse and back to eating well. Someone on here posted about this a while ago and it seems to work for me. Yes, at times I get those carb cravings, too, and just can't seem to stop. But if I have A LITTLE (and I'm talking maybe a tsp or tbsp) of apple cider vinegar, that seems to squelch the craving. Maybe it's because the vinegar is sour, but that seems to work. Eventually, my body doesn't want the carbs anymore.

Kate - one week away!!! Boy, time sure does fly

Robin - I'm with your dh, the hives were probably brought on by stress. Glad you had some Benadryl

christschild - I like your goals, especially your personal ones but katlia is right, 15 pounds in one month is a lot. 15 pounds in 3 months....that's very reasonable.

BetsieP - welcome. I'm so sorry about your sister. I'm sure she's looking down on you right this very moment and will be with you every step of the way on your weight loss journey.

Janette, explorer, and anyone else that I may have missed- we're so glad you found us

MA - what is a shrug?

LizPlus - I'm so so sorry about your sister. Hey, things get in the way and sometimes we all deal with it by binging. As long as you don't let the binge last for days and days.

twotonnetaric - Mexican Train is really dominoes. Why it's called "Mexican Train", I don't have any cue whatsoever.

Carol in WNY - regarding the ice cream....well, I AM very good at rationalization.....lol

Meg - I always love reading about your students. Thanks for sharing. You're doing the best thing for Benji, as much as it hurts you.

jodios - awesome that you are so close to your threshold weight

Bea - oh, new allergies can certainly develop. I never cooked with coconut, and you can't tell me that when Jessica was in grade school not one kid brought those coconut covered marshmallow eggs to school. Never had a problem. It wasn't until she was about 18 and was working as a waitress, she spilled part of a drink that had coconut rum in it, and where it fell on her leg really swelled up. Today, even if coconut is in the air (she doesn't have to injest it, just breathe it), she has a reaction. She keeps an inhaler with her at all times. So, absolutely, allergies can develop at any time.

kandy in Indianapolis - great walking. You're getting there girl. Slow but sure, and you're doing it

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC