WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Bump for later

Back to work this morning, so sorry have no time to chat, need to get back into the working routine, I've been off work since last Thursday :noway: really enjoyed my time at home, even if I have been busy.

Viv :heart: :heart:
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
    Deb A in CNY
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I`ll keep this short this morning, my computer is being hateful:angry: for some reason.

Robin:smile: I used to get hives from too much stress, take care of yourself:flowerforyou: !

Congrats to all the losers, and for those like me:cry: , hang in, it will have to come off sometime...keep eating good, logging every bite and drinking that water, and move, move, move, and then when you think you can`t move anymore...do it anyhow!!!!

Prayers sent for those in need...you`re in my thoughts:heart: !

Michele:smile: Sending you a hug, and hoping Bryan will come around!

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: !!! Keep popping in and chatting!

Have a wonderful day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in rainy:sad: & cool NC
  • nyaladreamer
    nyaladreamer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies - Fairly new to MFP but loving it! I'm meeting with my nutritionist this evening so curious to see how she will use the data from my log-ins ---she recommended this site to me. I'm seeing results, starting to really increase the exercise portion now. I need to step away from the scales and just do that one day a week. Everyone is so supportive here - for once I feel like I can really do this (I AM doing this!).
  • LisaInUP
    LisaInUP Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This weeks motivation:

I went into my size 10 box and pulled out a pair of jeans... no stretch in these babies :laugh:
    I stood in front of the mirror and slowly pulled them on
    up over the calves, up over the thighs
    got the zipper 1\4 of the way up but the belly/waist is still too big
    BUT they fit every where else.... yeah gym & walking

Happy progress everyone!! :drinker:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies,
    went to the gym this morning yahhhhhhhh.
    did 1/2 hr on the treadmill,279 calories and im back ..
    will try and get some motivation to clean out my closet and purge some clothes
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Dear Ladies

It's April, correct? So why are we still having snow in London?? This is just not right! I gave in and bought another winter coat with a hood. I am so fed up with wearing the same two winter coats, I figured if it's going to be winter I need another coat. Yes, I'm justifying how much I spent! Bleurgh., (Not going to mention the two new pairs of boots and a new bag to go with the coat - but a girl has to have the right accessories!)

Work remains hectic, so I'd better press on. Hope you are all well and coping.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    I bought a new bathing suit (usually calls for shudders...). I ordered it from QVC. It's strapless, which is something I could never wear because I wore an H cup (DDDDD) bra, but with my recent breast reduction, it fits! It stays up!! I'm not finished losing weight, but I needed one for a vacation we're taking soon. It's a NSV that makes me really happy. :blushing:
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    JaneH – Oh wow, I am so sorry to hear about what’s going on with your father. You have every right to be upset. You’ll both be in my prayers, for calm and healing!!

Lucy – Yay for your super NSV, that’s a huge deal. Our attitude about food and health is of paramount importance. This IS a lifestyle, and you’ve got it goin’ on! :drinker:

Amanda in UK – Good for you for treating yourself to a new coat (and boots, and bag)! You work hard, you deserve it, I’ll be happy to help you rationalize such a thing any day - - boots, yes (cake, no)!!!!! :flowerforyou:

As some might note, I’ve jumped from commenting on Pg. 3 to Pg. 9 as I’ve been sick with an annoying head cold since Monday. Better today, will (finally) get my goals for the month kicked off with some exercise. My poor dog really needs and deserves a nice, long walk. Fortunately, food hasn’t been an issue since I’ve not been able to really taste anything :laugh:

APRIL GOALS:
    Zumba DVD 3x week
    75 miles
    Daily exercise of some kind
    Strength training every other day
    Logging every day
    At least 8 fruits/veggies daily
    No less than 8 glasses of water each day

Brooke from Colorado
    (who needs to play catch up on her goal of 75 miles this month) :blushing:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Gona be a beautiful Thursday with sun:glasses:

MA in UK-what a great feed back on your goal for last month...it's always nice to know when you succeed without knowing it:wink:

Liz- prayers and {{hugs}} to you and your sister:flowerforyou:

Carol-sorry to hear you are having work issues, but know we are here for you to vent (if you need to) and to encourage you and cheer you on:flowerforyou:

janie- I understand the busy sometimes I just don't make it back here to read and reply like I want to...so for me it's hit and miss:ohwell:

Meg- sorry you are sick again:sick: hoping that getting a good nights sleep helps...maybe some chicken soup too? Prayers for Bennie Beagle and his surgery.:flowerforyou:

Jodios-Congrats on your loss:drinker:

Bea- allergies can change as you get older or if you move to a different place. When we lived in Eugene, Oregon I had severe grass seed allergies because of the grass seed farms in the area....it was the worst I've ever had. Our sons were little and I had to hire a babysitter to watch the boys so I could take the allergy meds and go to bed...glad that is behind me now:wink:

Kandy- good for you on your walking and I'm sure that walking pushing a stroller burns a bit more than just plain walking:drinker:

Katla- I totally understand your excitement of a former student coming and talking with you as both of my parents were teachers and I remember my Dad telling me how incrediable it was when he was teaching grandchildren of former students. And of course when former students would come back to share their successes it always gave him a boose of energy, he taught 8th grade for 29 years:happy:

janiw- I will be singing it all day:laugh:

jb- great comeback:laugh:

Barbie- WOW that's a lot of steps. That teacher is so fortunate to have so much help subing for her class:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Rori- safe travels I'm sure you will get everything done for the conference that you need to. Hoping you are able to make some good eating choices while on the road:drinker:

Michele- Bryan sounds like he still has some growing up to do. One of these days he will learn that his parents love him and just want to share in some of the milestones of his life. In the meantimee hang in there and step away from the candy:wink:

Lisa-Congrats on those size 10 jeans....it won't be long and you will be zipping them up all the way:drinker:

Amanda- New coat, boots and accessories Yep I'm sure you need them:wink: Since I've lost I've gone overboard on buying bras w/ matching undies and of course more smaller pants (on sale of course)....I have got to get it under control:blushing:

chrovnitza- How happy for you a new swim suit and it stays up:noway: That something to give you continued motivation to keep going.

brooke-hoping you are feeling better soon and are able to get moving on that 75 mile goal:flowerforyou:

Last night hubby wanted to go to a mongolian BBQ place so we did, overall pretty healthy but I wish I could have added more veggies as they give you a pretty small bowl it makes it hard to have all the veggies I would have liked to have.

Tonight I will continue to sort and file our DVD's into boxes and notebooks. Picking up the clutter and seeing what I can do to get the house in tip top shape. I really think I need a full week just to do this but that's not going to happen so it will come in spirts a little here and a little there.

It's supposed to be in the high 60's today and low 70's tomorrow and I'm so ready to be warm. I love the snow but I'm so cold I just want to be warm...that being said I'd best get moving to warm myself up and get some work done.

Have a great day logging.

Laura80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: Hugs to you. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

nyaladreamer: Yes, you can really do this. :bigsmile: It sounds like you’re starting to experience the benefits that keep me coming here on a regular basis. Great, isn’t it?:love::flowerforyou:

Amanda: According to the pundits, all this cold weather is a result of global warming. :noway: I’m finding it ironic, to say the least.:laugh: It has been a little warmer and unusually dry here in NW Oregon this winter. We have had winters similar to this in the past but they’re pretty rare. There has been a lot of weather drama in our country this year--drought, floods, severe storms.... I spend more time watching the Weather Channel than any other, and isn’t that a surprise.:wink:

charovnitza: Congratulations on the NSV! I’ll bet your back feels better, too.:flowerforyou:

Brooke: Glad to hear you’re starting to feel better.:flowerforyou:

Yoga today, yay! After that, I need to face some organizing that I’ve been putting off for a long time.:grumble:

Log your food and find ways to move more today.:drinker: :flowerforyou:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • CarlottaGorda
    Options
    Hi - I'm new to MFP (Day 4) but not at all new to the struggle that is my weight (age 52). I come from a long line of short, fat people! Having said that, I'm determined to be comfortable in my own skin (again). I have no desire to prance around in a bikini (kudos to those who can and do), I just want to be a comfortable, healthy me. So, for the month of April: keep tracking, keep tracking, keep tracking. Activity isn't usually a problem, and although I'm somewhat hampered by bad knees I don't let that stop me.

Watching what I eat (portion control), and acknowledging what I eat, is my biggest challenge. I'm optimistic that tracking my food at MFP and seeking the support of like-minded individuals (esp. women) will help me reach my goals.

(I say "esp. women" because as a menopausal woman I don't think men **really** understand the challenges my body is facing. I swear, my metabolism left me for a younger woman!)

Cheers to everyone out there! :smile:
  • CdnMarathonGirl
    CdnMarathonGirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Been on MFP for a little bit, but this is my first post. One of my collegues decided to do an April Challenge - do good things for yourself - so about 16 of us joined her. We each have our own goals and have posted them for all to see. Here are mine:

No unhealthy treats
    No alcohol
    Work out 4x week (60 min each)
    Make lunch everyday
    Drink water everyday

So far, so good. Getting up at 4:30 to go to the gym. Made my lunch everyday so far this week. Biggest problem is having to go to the bathroom so often from drinking water :)
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Well i cleaned out my closet,and tried stuff on,and I fit into stuff i havent fit in,in quite a few years..:bigsmile:
    taking some stuff to consignment, and giving some away.now sitting down and trying to type one handed with a dog on one arm..
    55 here today and sunny yeahhhhhhhhh
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    This has probably been addressed on MFP many times, but I'm curious about the replies from the Women 50+. How long do you hold on to your "big pants" and how many sizes bigger do they have to be before you get rid of them? I mean I have stuff that's 5 full sizes bigger than I am now and they're still in my closet (hi DeeDee and Grandmallie!!!!). When and what sizes did you get rid of?

Or do I need to rent a storage unit? lol

Jackie in Cherry Hill outside of Philly
  • reallymary
    Options
    Hello! I joined MFP about a year ago and never really used it. I've 'rejoined' just this week, and after playing around a bit, I'm definitely loving this and using it!

Some of my goals for April:

workout 3x per week at least 30 minutes each.
    Eat less and move more - general goal to create my new lifestyle.
    Focus on the feeling, not the number.

I have a mantra I use when I am feeling not so strong: I am Happy, Healthy and Strong.

Lord knows I am blessed in many ways, and good health is one blessing for sure. I AM happy, healthy and strong and willing to work at it. I have a long way to go - but I hope to be logging my food daily and popping in on the Boards.

Thanks!!
    mary - on her way!
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Jackie,
    chuck it!!! im not planning on ever getting big again... I just got a huge garbage bag full of stuff to give away, and the dressy stuff im bringing to the consignment shop..
    I bought my MIL a shirt in florida and never got it to her before she passed away almost 4 yrs ago,guess who fits in it now?
    I put on jeans with a zipper, and they fit!!!!! whooooo hooooo
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    CarlottaGorda – Welcome! You will be so glad you found this group of wise and witty women who understand and share in your struggle. I know that for me faithfully logging my foods is tremendously helpful in keeping me aware and accountable. I think the metabolism is a real hussy, as she seems to have absconded with mine for a younger woman too! :happy:

Katla – How great for you that you get to “yoga” today, and kudos for your organizational efforts as well. You motivate me!

Laura80111 – That’s the way to tackle such a big project, a little at a time. Pick a drawer, a closet, a room and set a timer for whatever time you have to dedicate to that task that day/hour. Over the course of time you will see major progress! And keep reminding yourself “it will feel so good when it’s over” :wink: I’ll be enjoying the Colorado spring with you today, carving away at my 75 mile goal!

DeeDee – Hope you are fully on the mend, glad you didn’t have to take steroids. Wanted to thank you again for sharing your recipe, had it twice in 3 days (on shrimp then on salmon) it was THAT good :flowerforyou:

CdnMarathonGirl – Welcome to you too, great goals for the month and great start toward achieving them! Check in here often for words of wisdom and support as we all move along on this health journey together.

Grandmallie – Yay for wearing your smaller sizes and getting rid of all that which no longer serves you!!!!!!

Jackie – I’m with Grandmallie, toss it all!! That’s what I’m doing along the way, I’m down one full size and all the “too big” stuff went out the door the day I could wear my new size. I will continue this pattern until I hit my goal weight as I don’t plan on going back again!

Reallymary – Welcome! Love your mantra, it’s so true to use positive affirmations to keep us in the correct frame of mind.:smile:

Brooke from Colorado
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    HI Ladies, To Jackie I say toss or donate also keeping a closet with several different sizes always made it too easy for me to go back up in weight ,I have to say never again and tossed them! One piece as a reminder of where we were, and how hard we worked to get here is good too. Well no Spring for us it is now snowing out there like its december, enough already! Have a challenge this week as my Dr. has me going for routine blood work and a colon scope, been there done that hate the prep!! Will lose a few pounds probably all water but heres hoping its the kick start I need to continue on. Well to al those who need Hugs hope you get one today and all who are celebrating good job !!
    Juanita in snowy Sudbury