WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Oh there a lot of posts that I missed out on. I'm not even going to try to read them all. The last I read was on March 30th before we left early on the 31st for vacation. We had a wonderful time. Well whenever you have 4 days with your grand children it is wonderful. Our cabin was pretty nice, didn't have good sound insulation between floors and my husband and I were on the lowest level. 6 year olds get up early in the morning and don't know how to walk quietly. There are so many dysfunctional families in the world today and it was so wonderful to see my entire family sleep together in the same house, spend all day together and jsut be there for each other for 4 days. There was so much laughter and fun going on those 4 days. I tried to make wise choices in my eating and actually lost weight even though I was in a mobility scooter most of the whole time. i tried to walk at least 1/2 mile a day. I actually walked over 1 mile on the last day which was our hiking day
  • twotonnetarice
    twotonnetarice Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Carol– like your philosophy-very inspiring. And don't feel bad at all. Sometimes things just happen all at once and I personally think that a trip to the pity pot now and then is fine. It's good that you survived being off track a bit. I think to totally ignore life events and become a pollyanna isn't good either. You just need to know when to move on and like you said be in control of what you can control. I wish you well and appreciate you sharing.

Sasha – 22 already in the Kootenays. Finally we are getting into the warmth. I would love for it to get to 22 here, (it's been 22F at night). At least it is already 57F/14C. 22C is close to my ideal temp. I don't tolerate heat well.

Jo – they say that most women are wearing the wrong size bra and should wear a smaller band and larger cup. I should try it, but hate tight things. Congrats on the prize.

Jackie – just read about your bra-fitting adventure. Will head to Nordstroms once I drop a few pounds.

Good luck ERC53

Brooke – I agree that there really aren't bad foods – everything in moderation.

Just finished 30DS for the day– I not only modify the jumping jacks, but also the rock star jumps. Kind of just raise up, but don't come off the ground. Also the jumping lunges or whatever they are called get modify basically the same way. If Jill doesn't like it, she can come and have a talk with me. I am thinking of just sticking with level 3 for the next 30 days. I even took photos today for comparison. That was scary.:wink:
    I need to go find my pedometer and start cranking up my daily steps.
    So glad that I found this group.

Tari (OH)
  • Joniboloney
    Joniboloney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Can you create this topic under 'group forums' so that you dont have to keep bumping it? Just curious. I know there is a 40s under group forums. :smile:
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Oh, I left out one important tidbit on the bra-fitting excursion: It isn't the place for modesty. I guess in my older, more mature attitudinal ways, I was ok with a complete female stranger seeing and, um, fitting the second most private part of my body. I could've never done this in my younger years, and honestly, the lady had the personality that made you at ease. I do remember silently telling myself, "Oh, just do it. No one cares anymore at this age."

So, if you are really modest, it'll just take a little longer and be a little more difficult.
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Quote from Katia Jo in Wales: I’d like to hear more about “slimming club.” Is the slimming club sponsored by a church or business? It sounds like great fun.

So an answer - do not like to mention brand names MFP - but it is Slimming World. Lost a lot of weight with them in 2007 and reached Target - it's free to go every week then. Unfortunately the consultant changed the times and I couldn't go. After that an accident involving a cliff path, mud and a helicopter ( never do things by half) and the death of my mother I put some back on. I wasn't prepared to pay again and used MFP for support and to see why Slimming World worked for me as I eat quite a lot! Thanks to all the support I reached Target again and went back. I am 21/2 lbs below my goal and can go three pounds under or over - then I have to pay again! Great incentive. Great group of women and men - we swap ideas, menus and generally help like we do on VitF. Made so many great friends here I will continue to get double the support if you don't mind? Trying to go to my 3 lbs under so I have HRT - Holiday Replacement Therapy! :smile:

Great my bra story started a debate - think my cup size sent up as there is not the flab underneath anymore and exercise is much easier. So get a good fitted bra ladies!!!

Have a good evening :flowerforyou:

Jo Wales UK
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    JMKMOMM- I agree time spent with grand babies and the best. You are Blessed to have everyone together.

I enjoy reading all these posts. :happy:
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good morning & TGIF!

Everything is falling into place for my daughter who moves tomorrow. I am going to visit with her and the kids tonight & taking them to dinner. My DGS requested that we go to Olive Garden, so that's where we'll go. I get off of work at 3:00 today and have to drive I 95 pass the stadiums to get to Philly. Since it's opening day for the Phillies, I expect I'll be stuck in lots of traffic. Just my luck!:grumble:

:wink: Amanda - Better to treat yourself with clothing, shoes (my personal fav) and accessories than food, so you made a great choice! I just know that that beautiful new diamond you got from your DH feels better than ANY food tastes!

:laugh: charovnitza - I had a breast reduction in 1999 and it's still the best thing I ever did (besides leaving my ex and meeting my current wonderful husband)!

:flowerforyou: Brooke - Hope you're feeling better soon!

:embarassed: Jackie - I hate to admit this BUT....I have clothing ranging from size 4 to size 14. Since I am currently in a size 4-6, the rest are stored in the attic. I know I should toss them, but I just can't seem to part with them! Hmmmmm....I don't think it's because I don't feel confident that I will keep the weight off, but because I just love ALL of my clothing!

:smile: Laura - A little at a time gets the job done and you won't feel so overwhelmed. Good luck!

:heart: Robin - My fingers (and toes) are crossed that your interview goes well. You really have to get out of that unhealthy environment!

:ohwell: Katla - I would SO love to find a Yoga class in my area that works with my schedule! I miss it.

:laugh: Barbie - I think you may be onto something....No dogs to walk = getting DH to walk! Brilliant!

:huh: cityjandLondo - If you find any face exercises that work, please pass them along. I don't know about anyone else, but with my weight loss, my face got thinner and things are definitely sagging a bit....sigh!

:happy: Carol - Attitude is EVERYTHING! So glad you got back your positive one!

:ohwell: DeeDee - I sure miss the shopping trips I took with my DGD when she was younger. She would always give me a little fashion show!

:heart: Alison - I was told that we have to do the right thing for ourselves before we can begin to help the ones we love. I hope your daughter can find the strength to get out of that situation.

:flowerforyou: Joyce - Welcome back! Glad you enjoyed your vacation.

And to everyone I missed....welcome to all the newcomers.....congrats to all who have had success....my prayers to all who are struggling.

Hugs,
    Lucy in Delaware:bigsmile:

PS- Katla asked that you post your location, and I'll add a request that you add your name too!
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: a quick pop-in between errands in yet another snowstorm :flowerforyou:

Yesterday I was our local 'big lady' store trying to get a pair of jeans for our trip and there was NOTHING! I did buy a sale pair of Bermuda shorts for $15, emerald green, hahaha! Now I have one pair of shorts. :tongue:

But I wandered into the store next door and asked what their biggest size was..... I bought a pair of normal jeans in a normal store, size 17! :happy: They are cut different and actually fit better! Wahoo! I think I am now in that cross-over zone where the possibilities become endless! Boy, am I excited!

hugs, gotta run,

Kate in ...sigh.... snowy Alberta
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    yeaaaaa Kate,
    it is a beautiful thing isn't it?
    Hubby drove all day and has stopped for the night he is staying at South of the Border, for any of you on the east coast driving 95 you will see Pancho every couple of hundred feet..Glad he got that far safely and a shorter day tomorrow.
    Got my furbabies fed and walked and now just sitting down and getting off my foot. was on my feet alot today so it is throbbing:grumble:
    anyone have any idea's for low/lower calorie nibbles? snacks? im not good at eating big meals but healthy snacks I can do..
    I did make a flatbread pizza tonight that was pretty good and it was about 250 calories and filled me up.
    I keep hiking my elastic waist scrub pants up, so thinking pretty soon will have to buy some more of those:wink: ,the tops still fit, because my belly is still large and the shelf is too.
    I think once I loose another10-20 lbs will look into getting some new bra's too
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :frown: Left it a bit too late to post. so will just say I've had a busy day but I've not eaten wisely :grumble: I don't know what comes over me some days, I pick and nibble all day :explode:

:flowerforyou: Hope you have had a better day than me!

Time for bed methinks - at least I can't eat whilst I'm asleep :bigsmile:

:yawn: Night Night

Viv
    York UK
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!!:flowerforyou:

Just finished catching up with all of your posts! Yay! Been in a funk today, not sure why, maybe waking up with another sinus headache and having to call in sick to work had something to do with it. But, I'm happy to say after taking sinus medicine and resting most of the morning it's finally gone. Best NSV that I've had in awhile-met DH at DQ for lunch and after eating my usual grilled chicken salad had NO taste for a blizzard!! Even with my DH eating a small one right in front of me!!:happy: I did reward myself with a Weight Watchers ice cream candy bar when I got home but even so 140 calories as opposed to over 500! Then when I was home alone this afternoon and down in the dumps, I got off my rear and walked my boys for 25 minutes and came home and did 20 min. of chair exercises! I did get a scare though when I dropped my little ones leash by accident at the park and he took off.

Well my dog just hit some key on my laptop and erased my April goals and the rest of this post so will write more another time!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Kathy:drinker:
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Today (5th) is my choco-doodle puppy's 1st birthday! Amazing to feel that the year has gone by so fast! She's a crazy sweet dog and we can now see the adult she's going to become and she's lovely!

It seems like a long time ago that I read that Michele asked me what a shrug is... it's like a lacy sleeveless bolero - it just covers the shoulders and is usually worn with spaghetti strap dresses and vest tops to add a little bit of coverage. I have crocheted a number of them in different sizes for friends - and for me as my size changes! If I get a good run at it it can only take 3-4 evenings! My sister has been learning crochet and has managed the rectangle that is the main bit - the fancy bits are the lacy edges and those she's passed to me to finish!! The thing I like about crochet as opposed to knitting is that there's only one stitch to lose and it's easy to work out where to pick it up if the hook does fall out of the garment!

In 2011 my knit and natter (occasionally known as the stitch and *****) group made 30 blankets for a local nursing home and other elderly still living at home! Some learned to crochet especially for the project! Since then we have concentrated on our own projects - I've completed a coat (bright colours - aka Jacob!) and a cardi! As well as the shrugs.

I do find that when I working with yarn I don't snack as I don't want to have greasy or chocolaty fingers! And it keep my fingers supple! 2 benefits and a finished project at the end of it (hopefully!).

It's now the weekend - so time to let the dogs out and get ready for bed! Have a great weekend everyone.

MA in UK
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Oh, I left out one important tidbit on the bra-fitting excursion: It isn't the place for modesty. I guess in my older, more mature attitudinal ways, I was ok with a complete female stranger seeing and, um, fitting the second most private part of my body. I could've never done this in my younger years, and honestly, the lady had the personality that made you at ease. I do remember silently telling myself, "Oh, just do it. No one cares anymore at this age."

So, if you are really modest, it'll just take a little longer and be a little more difficult.

:bigsmile: Funny you should say that. I remember being "fitted" for my first bra as a young girl. My mom was with me and then of course was this lady. I must say I was thoroughly embarrassed. Isn't it strange how we hang onto that feeling? Surely, all the prodding, probing and poking in our female adult lives by doctors and nurses should result into "Oh, just do it. No one cares anymore at this age." :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I just wish there was an expert fitter in my area. Not sure if they exist around here. I know when I go to Holland there are specialty stores with experts in bra fitting. But honestly... here, La Senza? La Vie en Rose? even Sears? not so much!

On another note, I will be doing some more walking for the 10k tomorrow morning. Have had a very busy week. No time for anything else. Haven't even logged my food for today. Better get on that tonight.

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday to all! I strapped on my pedometer and went to work for a quiet, office day. Well I gave a test, but other than that and getting lunch it was mostly sitting at my desk. I think I got a lot of steps in for just sitting around…almost 6000 (1.68 miles). So that’s not too bad but reinforces my idea that I put on a good 5 miles at clinical!

Our beautiful day here was marred by me having to meet with my wayward adjunct faculty and go over all the complaints the floor nurses have about her and her students and give her suggestions for improvement. UGH. She just basically blamed everyone else so I told her if the student s were that bad I expect to see it reflected on their evaluations next week and told her to set up a meeting with the dean and the service leader so they could hash out the conflicts in the stories….i wasn’t about to get into it with her. Way above my pay grade! But I do think I made it clear that we were calling her bluff.

Mary: glad you think this will be a good place for you!

Cityjane: hi and welcome to you! I have to say I have not tried the exercises you mentioned.

Barbie; have a wonderful trip and don’t worry about your babies!

Brooke: you are so right about spring taking her own sweet time! Wish I could pull off that schedule!

Bea: I’m confused too but I just pick one measurement that has been verified and use it all the time. I think consistency is more important that whether that spoon full of brown sugar has 35 or 38 cals! But is sure can drive you crazy!

Twotonnetaric: vitamin F stands for friends, and you get a lot of it here!

Carol: so glad you are feeling better and more in control! You can do this! We are all here for you!

Lila: hope you like your new fitness place and I hope you got a good night’s sleep!

Viv: keep that energy coming~

JO: woo hoo what a great victory! The compliment, the new bras and good looks, and your fruit cup prize! But what’s a stone?

Linda: your pounds are lurking in my back yard. I see them. But I won’t tell them where to find you!

Amanda: I bet you look grand with your new ring! How wonderful!

Jane: you keep up the good work and good news about the hubby and cancer!

Liz: missing you!

Jackie: my boobs haven’t been where they are supposed to be since I hit 20! But new bras are my 30# reward so I need to get
    off my hiney and get going so I can buy some!

DeeDee: have fun with your granddaughter!

Grandmallie: I will pray for your daughter and you and for a good resolution to this situation

SwissKim wow what a skin treatment regime! Hope it works!!! Cling film works…or saran wrap (that’s abrand name here)

Mary I do have non-food rewards for every 15 pounds and I have gotten one in all this time. Oh well it will come. At 15# it was a
    mani pedi, at 30 it will be the lingerie, at 45 it is coming off metformin

Luvbuttons; congrats on the weight loss!

Lisa: congrats on the size 12s!

Meylisa: great thought! Thanks for sharing

Vicki: bump is just a quick way to get on the thread and mark your spot so the thread shows up under your topics.

Robin: what a witch your boss is! I really think that what goes around comes around and she’ll get hers one day. I hope you find peace in your work soon

ERC53: welcome to our thread. You will find the most supportive women here!

Laura: I’m with you and being confused! I wonder how people function with medical information when they are less educated and have less experience.

Jmkmomm sounds like your visit was wonderful!

MA: happy puppy birthday!

Well gals, I need to get going. I have been working on this for over an hour and I’m drooping (and not just my boobs LOL). Sweet dreams and take care! maximally medicated MEg in OMaha
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Just had a prolonged, one-sided conversation with a tempting, unopened package of Reese's PB cups... they are back in the cupboard (evil DH brought them home), but I'm 'fessing up and trying to reinforce the good decision by posting. Also repeating Barbie's thought of what you want more than what you want in the moment.

Bras - Soma's vanishing back is my favorite at the moment. I had the same experience of going down in band size and up in cup. Initially I was fitted in the lower band and same cup size, but it was not as comfortable. Also love Soma's vanishing edge panties. AND I think I will write in to the company and ask why they don't put the little silicon lines on the underside of the bra straps. I spend a lot of time pulling them back into place and the little lines would be perfect. They also have 'cool nights' PJs that are fabulous. (My commercial is done now.)

Gail, metro Atlanta
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Brooke and twotonnetarice - there's just no way I can do those "surrenders" in the 30DS. It just doesn't happen for me, no matter how hard I try.

kim - one of my best friends from high school moved to Switzerland. She lives in Brugg. We went to see her a few years ago, I'd never had bloodwurst (was that it, it know it was blood-something). Intereresting, I would probably need to get used to it. I was impressed at how everyone rides their bikes to the train stations. Well, Europe in general has a good train system. It was also interesting how they charged for parking at the food store. Beautiful country, even tho we were there in January so it wasn't all that beautiful. But what we saw, was spectacular.

Meg - what an appropriate gift you got -- a pedometer. What brand is it?

Did an hour of Kathy Friedrich's Low Max Step DVD. I really don't like it that much. She does so many turns, doesn't show you any modification, to me her cueing isn't the greatestl But I won't get rid of the DVD, it IS a good workout. Tomorrow I'll go to yoga then stop at a food store to pick up Jessica's Easter Basket (a fruit basket, but I put in a Dove chocolate bunny and some chocolate peeps for her)

Bea - good questions, I'll certainly be checking for the answers. These are things that I've wondered, too.

twotonnetaric - The "F" in vitamin F stands for "friends", hence Vitamin Friends

Carol in WNY - so glad you're feeling better. We're always here to help, in more ways than just weight loss. If I see it, I'm going to check out the So Delicious almond milk. Thanks for the tip. I just bought almond milk yesterday. Do you know that the organic brand was less expensive than the regular brand?

omabird - We love having you here. Come back often.

Jo - congrats to you and your daughter. She sounds awesome.

Amanda - post a pic of that ring!

Liz - good luck on your walk. What a great charity!

DeeDee - have fun with your granddaughters. Shopping....love it!

All this talk about bras is convincing me more and more that I really should get a proper fitting before the wedding.

luvbuttons - what a wonderful feeling you must have had at the docs

Laura - when I do the 30DS, I tend to do levels 3 then 2 then 1

Mary - since your hubby is a chef, why not give him the challenge of making lighter food that is full of flavor and see what he comes up with. You can get a program off Amazon called MasterCook. I got it, about $9. You can input the ingredients and then have it figure out the nutritionals

cityjaneLondo - woohoo on the inch lost. That's the best indicator of all.

Renny - that was nice of your dh to attempt to make you the omlet

jmk - How wonderful it sounds having your whole family together for four whole days.

Kate - how wonderful for you!

Kathy - you're on the go now! Having no desire for a blizzard.

MA - what a wonderful thing you did making those blankets. A shrug sounds really interesting.

Well, Denise spoke to Dianna (on facebook) and Dianna told her the wedding is the 12th. In one way it would have been nice if Bryan had told us first, but what will be will be. My dress had to be sent back for more alterations, I honestly think maybe they forgot to make one of them. Anyway, it's sleeveless but I'm going to bring a croched coverup with me. I understand that in some parts of Europe (and I think Spain is like this too) a woman should always have her shoulders covered. But on the other hand, the wedding isn't in a church so maybe this doesn't apply. I just don't know.

Today started out pretty good. But then Jessica wanted to make a cake for tomorrow's Easter dinner, then we went out to a buffet for dinner. And I blew it. I know that I'll go over tomorrow since that'll be the day we have our Easter dinner. I will try to make good choices, but I know that I'll need to have a piece of Jessica's cake. She's so proud of how she decorated it, she posted a pic of it on facebook.

So I'll log up until the time I blew it.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Good evening all. I was gone all day at a client’s office. I’m so tired so not sure I’ll get through all the posts or get to respond to everyone, but I’ll make a gallant effort:smile:
    Tomorrow we are doing the final pack up of my parent’s condo. We are signing the closing papers in advance on Tuesday and Salvation Army is coming to pick up the furniture that’s left. Hard to believe that we got this all done so fast. It’s been very emotional going through their things. I’m trying to remain objective and detached but then I’ll come across something that makes me miss them so badly. :cry:
    Enough maudlin thinking:brokenheart:

I know I’m going to need to go bra shopping soon – the current ones aren’t working so well – gaping issues. You guys are making me laugh about it though – perky and high is good. Good advise on Nordstroms – I honestly wasn’t sure about how I was going to figure out the right size and I really hate trying bunches on just to figure it out.

Amanda – I love yellow diamonds –your ring sounds lovely and your DH is truly a dear:heart:

Dee Dee enjoy your weekend with your DGD:love:

Really mary – I definitely have rewarded myself along as I’ve hit goals. So far I’ve gotten a new exercise DVD, a pretty dress, red jeans and purple eyeliner. I’m sitting right on my next goal – a biggy. Once I pass that one I’ve promised myself a massage. My next goal after that is my final target weight and I’m not sure what that will be but I’m starting to think about it. :flowerforyou:

Luvbuttons – congrats on the weight loss…a pound a week is great!:drinker:

ERC53 – welcome and great attitude:smile:

CityJane – congrats on your NSV:drinker:

Kate – whoohoo on the jeans:flowerforyou:

Gail – glad you put those Reese’s back! :drinker: I also love the Soma vanishing edge panties – what a great idea to add those lines to bra straps!

Well got to hit the sack. Not sure I’ll have time to read or post this weekend with everything that needs to get done so wishing everyone a great weekend in advance. Jodios:smile::love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I've had quite a laugh about all the bra posts. A wise old woman I had as a patient one time told me that when she was younger she was a 36C. Now she is a 36 long!!!!
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Katla – I couldn’t agree more about the “good luck” and benefit in finding this forum. The insights and observations from others on this health journey are invaluable to me in staying informed and focused (not to mention laughing!!!!) and most of all MOTIVATED

Jmkmomm – So glad your trip was so much fun for you and your whole family. What a victory that you actually lost weight! And good for you for walking daily, a mile on your last day, wow! “36 Long - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: "

Tari OH - “If Jill doesn't like it, she can come and have a talk with me.” :drinker: My feelings exactly!!

Jo in Wales – I just love “holiday replacement therapy” - - I may have to ‘borrow’ your phrase (and attitude!)

Lucy – Have a wonderful time with your DD and grands, I’m sure the family time took the sting out of the traffic time (go Phillies!) –

Kate in Alberta – Yay for new, smaller jeans that fit!!!! :flowerforyou: You’re right, the possibilities are (and will be) endless!

Kathy – Wow, great job at DQ and with “filling yourself up” with exercise in the afternoon. Excellent choices, and glad your sinus headache has gone away

Meg – Glad the day’s “discussion” with adjunct faculty is behind you, sounds like you handled it beautifully, so now it’s time to hand it off to someone with the “higher paygrade”!! Also, keep us posted about Benny!

Brooke from Colorado
    (who is also drooping - in more ways than one) :blushing:
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Bump