How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options
1383940414244»

Replies

• bouuncyball
    bouuncyball Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k this morning! 9 weeks ago I would never have thought this was possible, but somehow I made it.

I'm a little disappointed that I had to walk a couple of times, but I'll blame that on the fact that a) the course had more hills than the almost entirely flat area where I did most of my training, and b) that I did most training in the evening or early morning, and really couldn't cope with the heat and sunshine today.

So I've got a bit to work on before the 6k run I'm doing with my workmates mid November, but overall I'm happy to have made it this far. I'll have to go back and try to conquer this course properly some time, though!
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I just started it yesterday. I've never ran in my life (except maybe to the bar for last call or to the Chinese food joint before it closes) and the part I'm finding hardest is learning to control my breathing. I can't catch a full breath until the "slow your pace to a brisk walk" cue comes up. by the end of the 5th run segment, I felt like I was drowning.

I'm hoping it will get easier with practice because my legs and ankles and joints and everything do just fine and I feel like I could keep going if it wasn't for my breathing. I really think I could learn to love running as soon as I figure out how not to feel like i'm slowly suffocating myself...
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Well done ladies who have completed 5Ks! WOOOP! You've done brilliantly.

sweet_blasphe I felt exactly the same when I started out and still sometimes struggle with my breathing. In through your nose, out through your mouth is supposed to be best and keeping steady. It does get easier.

I'm planning a run through Hyde PArk tomorrow afternoon whilst my daughter is at her after school activity. I'm looking forward to the change of scene but not running at the end of the day with so many people around...

Nyk x
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    So after finishing c25k I took a month off to go on a vacation and I am back and running once again! I did the first run of 5k to 10k. Whew. That was hard. I am so out of running shape.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    So after finishing c25k I took a month off to go on a vacation and I am back and running once again! I did the first run of 5k to 10k. Whew. That was hard. I am so out of running shape.

Its amazing how quickly it goes... my partner and I did C25k and she got sick and had to take a couple weeks off after we finished. When she came back she was struggling to do 2k where I could easily do 5k or more.
  • lrbiton
    lrbiton Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started week 5. i was worried because its been a busy two weeks and I didnt get as much running is as I wanted. I did ok on week 5 day 1... now Im try to get mentally prepared for the sudden long runs on days 2 and 3!
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    After almost exactly 2 months (with a vacation in there), I've "graduated"! Tonight was my final scheduled run, and while I had gotten up to 2.25 miles, I was working on slowly increasing my distance. I just wanted to see if I could do it tonight, and I did! And you know what? I sprinted at the end! I was so excited to know how close I was to completion, I probably could have started sprinting sooner. :)

For those who are starting out there - stick with the program. Don't let any voices (including yourself) tell you it's impossible. Half of it is a mental thing to overcome. I've never been able to run further than a minute before in my life, and I did it. I didn't let myself stop.

My first 5k is coming up in 2 weeks! I'm so excited I can't wait!!!!!!!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Did week 1 day 2 of 5k to 10k bridge tonight. You run .8 miles 5 times with a VERY short walking break inbetween. Whew. It was hard.
  • jfl5
    jfl5 Posts: 37
    Options
    I finished my first 5K this past weekend. Official, posted time was 24:36 (7:55 min/mile). I placed 11th overall out of over 360 runners, and I was 1st in the 40-44 age group.

Here's some advice on C25K. Don't get behind! I did, and then in Week 7, I ran 4-5 days in a row in order to catch up. I wound up with some tightness and pain in my left knee, and in Week 8, I did not complete the last couple of training sessions so that I could rest my knee. In my 5K, my knee started aching badly just before the last 100 yards, which killed my finishing push. I could have run faster on a healthy knee.

So... If you are older or if you have joint issues, my advice is to take advantage of off-days to let your body rest and recuperate. Now, instead of moving on to 10K, my goals have shifted to rehabbing the knee and running a pain-free 5K.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I finished my first 5K this past weekend. Official, posted time was 24:36 (7:55 min/mile). I placed 11th overall out of over 360 runners, and I was 1st in the 40-44 age group.

Here's some advice on C25K. Don't get behind! I did, and then in Week 7, I ran 4-5 days in a row in order to catch up. I wound up with some tightness and pain in my left knee, and in Week 8, I did not complete the last couple of training sessions so that I could rest my knee. In my 5K, my knee started aching badly just before the last 100 yards, which killed my finishing push. I could have run faster on a healthy knee.

So... If you are older or if you have joint issues, my advice is to take advantage of off-days to let your body rest and recuperate. Now, instead of moving on to 10K, my goals have shifted to rehabbing the knee and running a pain-free 5K.

Congrats on your first 5K That is great advice.

After my vacation, stuff came up where I went 1 too many days without running, and brutally paid for it with my next run. I had to repeat a workout, but determined not to let that happen again.

I'm sticking with the 5k for now, too. I got an app to help me work on speed. So I will start that tomorrow.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    There's a C25K group here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

And, here is the current daily check-in thread. They're friendly and supportive there.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1101283-daily-check-in-thread
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Did another 2.75 miles after work yesterday. I deffo prefer running in the morning to after work but trying to use my time wisely whilst my daughter is at an after school club :) and it was a bit easier than the week before (plus I get to run through Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park!).

Going to try and run the whole 5K next week when I'm at my FILs in Suffolk. It will be really quiet up there early in the mornings and there will be beautiful scenery to distract me lol.

Yesterday I felt so grateful for being able to run - I had a really **** day at work and was nearly in tears for the last hour. Went out for my run and came back feeling a million times better and like the weight had been lifted :)

Nyk x
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Momma2CharlieJane Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I haven't checked in for a while. I ran my first 5K on Oct 5th. I wanted to finish under 45 mins, but came in 45:52. I still don't think that is too bad. I hadn't run for two weeks - I am pregnant and have morning sickness all day. It's been tough. I haven't been able to run since the race either. Hoping to get back into it when the sickness goes away and I have more energy. You guys are doing awesome!!! Keep with it.