How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options
I'm in week3 Day 2. Some days I have a good day and others not do good. But I finish the run. I was thinking after your run enter how it went and we will be here to cheer each other on. I have my 5k run May 18th. And my next one June 14th.

Replies

• paulajed
    paulajed Posts: 21
    Options
    Congrats on your success and motivation!

I am not doing C25K specifically but am following my own plan exactly structured like it- I am at the beginning of week 4 and have found my running legs!! Yay! I am very slow (running a 15 minute mile) but sustaining a 4 mile jog every other day.

We have a 5K in my local area for April 20th that is right along my typical running trail that I am seriously considering! I know I can finish it- I just am still feeling a bit self-conscious b/c of my slooooownessss and the way I still really "Jiggle" when running. It is definitely not a sight anyone running/walking behind me should have to see!
    ;)
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm one run behind you and I have my 5K on May 4th (I'm just going to treat it like a training run/walk and sign up for another 5k for after I hit week 9).

C25K is almost identical to the program I made up for myself the first time I got into runnung. I eventually ran a half marathon, but then I got injured, had surgery, went through lots of physical therapy, and am now back, starting from scratch.

This time I'm being much more careful to not injure myself. :)
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if I should run more than 3 times in a week . That way I can complete the c25k training before my 5k race .
    Or should I just keep my pace that I'm at. Then only thing is that somedays I feel like I should run on my off days
  • Akdn
    Akdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if I should run more than 3 times in a week . That way I can complete the c25k training before my 5k race .
    Or should I just keep my pace that I'm at. Then only thing is that somedays I feel like I should run on my off days
    Do whatever your body can handle. I just finished W6D1 of C25k this morning and I'm loving it. I'm currently running on M W F and walking T T S and resting on Sunday but since I felt so good after today's run I'm thinking of doing W6D2 tomorrow but i don't know yet lol.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! I'm just starting week 2 tomorrow and have never run in my life so its really exciting for me. I find it hard but so satisfying when I finish. Good luck with your 5ks!
  • Melissaol
    Options
    Good job everyone on your runs. Keep up the good work. Keep running!,,
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd stick to three days a week. Overdoing it is what led to my injury before, and that meant I couldn't run for *years*. It's not worth it. Besides, cross-training on off days is fun. I do upper body strength training on running days, but on my non-running days I get to do everything else (yoga, ballet, tap dance, elliptical, rowing, sailing, hiking, Pilates, martial arts, strength training, hopefully some rock climbing soon... The possibilities are endless).

Cardiovascularly, I'm ready to run more, but my joints and muscles need to build up to that, and I need to let them. Even when they're ready, I'll just be conservatively increasing speed and distance; my days of running more than three times a week have passed.

You aren't me, I know. Maybe you could handle it. But maybe you couldn't. EVERY book on running and preventing running injury I've read has said not to drastically increase running distance or time and has emphasized the importance of rest and cross-taining.
  • Melissaol
    Options
    Ok maybe I will try a spin class. Or the elliptical
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    During the c25k you're not only building stamina, but also stronger bones and tendons. By doing more days a week your stamina will get better sooner, but your bones and tendons take a lot more time. So don't go to fast, don't do more than the three days a week. Really it's not worth it.
  • Melissaol
    Options
    Ok I will stick to 3 days a week.mi don't want to hurt myself. I already have had 3 knee surgeries . So I will stick with it.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 6 day 2, going to attack day 3 either tonight or tomorrow, depending on how my shins feel. I find 3 days a week is probably the right amount but I'm training for some long races back to back so I'll probably move to a 4 day a week rotation at some point.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I just started week 8 of c25k. Its a challenge and one I am determined to see thru the end. Good luck.
  • lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 7 Day 1. I'm excited to do my first (hopefully of many!) 5K on May 11! I agree with what others have said - if you feel like you can do more, crosstrain on your off days. Doing C25K 3 days/week doesn't mean you have to take the other 4 days off. Running more can lead to injury, so even if you feel like you could, it's probably a better idea to do some other activities on your "off" days.
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am just starting week 3 this week (w3d1 today!) . My 5K is 5/25 So I've got an extra week of training before my race. My goal is to run without stopping, the entire race. I did a 5K in 2009, but didn't fully commit to the training. On race day I finished with a time somewhere around 40 mins, so not awful, but I'd really like to push myself to see what I can do!
    I'd love to keep in touch with others doing the same training, it seems we are very close on training days, my IRL partner isn't following through well, (dissapointing!) so I'd love a virtual buddy!
  • Melissaol
    Options
    Lets comment after each run. We can talk about how it went or what ever. Support each other through these next weeks that will be easy at time and really hard at time. But we always know that we are here for each other.
  • patinaragazza
    patinaragazza Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did c25k and then went on to train independently for a 10k that I completed last weekend! I would suggest adding yoga or pilates to your routine instead of more running. It kept me injury free and built up my stamina quickly. I never had any problems. I did bikram yoga 2x a week with the running.
  • Melissaol
    Options
    I was thinking of doing spin class on one of my off days and Zumba on the other.
  • patinaragazza
    patinaragazza Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Perfect...low impact. One of my close girlfriends did the spin class with running and loved it. she ended up doing a dual-atholon! Congrats! You are going to do great!
  • Akdn
    Akdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Well I ran 2 days in a row for the first time this morning. The second half was slower then the first half, according to the Runtastic stats. I didn't feel as tired running as I thought I would have but now that I've been home for an hour my knees and calf's are feeling it. Anyway W6D2 is now in the books =)
  • mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 2, and am thoroughly amazed at myself. :-) I leave more days between my runs than it suggests because I have knee and foot injuries that I have to listen to, but I will make it to the end of the program eventually!