How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• CandiceChaCha
    Options
    I'm just wondering why everyone is so concerned with being "fast" and increasing speed. The point of C25K is to build ENDURANCE. You cannot have speed without endurance first. My suggestion is to use a heart rate monitor and keep it in the cardiovascular range to keep you on target. As your cardiovascular improves, the speed will come.

Thank you! While I know the point is to build up my endurance, I can't help but think of the end goal of running a 5k. I am terrified to be embarrassed out there! So yes, i am concerned with my speed, but I don't plan on working on that until I finish the program.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering why everyone is so concerned with being "fast" and increasing speed. The point of C25K is to build ENDURANCE. You cannot have speed without endurance first. My suggestion is to use a heart rate monitor and keep it in the cardiovascular range to keep you on target. As your cardiovascular improves, the speed will come.

Thank you! While I know the point is to build up my endurance, I can't help but think of the end goal of running a 5k. I am terrified to be embarrassed out there! So yes, i am concerned with my speed, but I don't plan on working on that until I finish the program.

The adrenaline of the all the people and the atmosphere will propel you on it's own. There are people of all capacities so you will fit right in - no matter what. I walked most of the warrior dash and I was happy with that.

W4D3 done - I'll stay on this for another week. I was able to maintain a HR of 147 to 171 for the whole 5 minutes and all of the circuits......:drinker: :drinker: BOOOYAHHHHH:drinker: :drinker: .......I also did barre yoga after and I fee like I need a nap....LOL

So, for those of you on the 8 minute drills - here's a tidbit of information for you. I work on a heart monitoring unit. We send people for exercise stress tests. 8 minutes would be a successful amount of time to complete one. I had a cardiology laugh once because someone only lasted 3 to 4 minutes. Your :heart: is thanking you!!
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am doing week 7 this week and I am struggling for the first time really since I started C25K :frown: 25 minutes is a struggle...shouldn't I be able to do that by now? I get tired at different times throughout it. I am not going fast either. Feeling a bit discouraged but, actually the fact that it was hard for me to do 1 minute at first and now I can do 20+ is quite an accomplishment for me but, STILL :ohwell:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I am doing week 7 this week and I am struggling for the first time really since I started C25K :frown: 25 minutes is a struggle...shouldn't I be able to do that by now? I get tired at different times throughout it. I am not going fast either. Feeling a bit discouraged but, actually the fact that it was hard for me to do 1 minute at first and now I can do 20+ is quite an accomplishment for me but, STILL :ohwell:

I struggled with week 8, so I feel ya! But we are almost done! We can do this. Just slow it down and repeat.
  • fitgalin22
    fitgalin22 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've never run on a treadmill, so what I say may not work for you, but I suggest you've got it set too fast. I jog outside so have NO IDEA what speed I'm doing, but I do know I'm slow. Why not set the treadmill to just above walking pace and go with that? The idea is to be able to complete the time at whatever pace allows you to do that. Once you can do those intervals (60 seconds slow jog followed by 90 seconds walking x 8) you could progress to week 2.

Over and over my download tells me to aim for a "light jog" "don't try to go too fast" "if you're finding it difficult, slow down" "go slow and find a pace that lets you finish the run" "if you're getting tired, slow down, but keep going".

That's the message - slow down!!

And about that message from your body - the one that tells you to stop after about a minute - I get that too and I'm doing week 7. I have a theory that I spent too long on week 1, getting better at running for one minute, and now my brain "knows" when that minute is up and wants to stop. I have to fight to keep going every time, but after about 5 minutes the autopilot has taken over and is cruising. That's when it gets better!

I've been walking at 3.4 mph on different levels of incline, that's also the mph I've been using for this C25K program. I've been running/jogging at 4.5 mph because that is the farthest that I'll go for speed right now. I'm not trying for speed at the moment, I'm more for distance. Thanks for the info! :smile: Redoing W1D1 tonight and with all of everyone's helpful tips I should be able to achieve W1D1! :happy:
  • fitgalin22
    fitgalin22 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    W1D1 complete! :wink: I was able to finish it today...I lowered my mph a bit to 4.3 mph and that helped.. I also was doing some breathing exercise as well that I read on the c25k group discussion.. That was not so bad for being w1d1 after everything was said and done. Hope everyone else is enjoying their C25K week. :happy:
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

Thanks Maureeen, I'm glad it's not just me!! I'm about to head out and do W7D2 - and D1 left my muscles really sore! Why, after weeks of building up to it? And I only ran a couple of extra minutes.... I don't get it. :ohwell:
  • beattie1
    Options
    W1D1 complete! :wink: I was able to finish it today...I lowered my mph a bit to 4.3 mph and that helped.. I also was doing some breathing exercise as well that I read on the c25k group discussion.. That was not so bad for being w1d1 after everything was said and done. Hope everyone else is enjoying their C25K week. :happy:
    I'm glad you were able to do W1D1 this time - and without feeling as if you were going to pass out or throw up too, I hope. I'm sure you'll be able to continue now you've found a pace that works for you.

I've tried that breathing thing too but find I get too puffed to keep it up - and I tried the alternative for going up hills (I do a lot of hills, unavoidable, where I live) but couldn't make it work.
  • beattie1
    Options

Thanks Maureeen, I'm glad it's not just me!! I'm about to head out and do W7D2 - and D1 left my muscles really sore! Why, after weeks of building up to it? And I only ran a couple of extra minutes.... I don't get it. :ohwell:

.... aaannndddd I'm in from doing W7D2 which went much better than last time. I remembered to do some stretches after the walking cool down. Just stopped in the street and did them, never mind the passing people wondering if I was nuts, or in some sort of trouble!

I tried out a new path I won't be using much - if ever - again. It's been drizzly here and the path passed through long grass so I got to the end of it with wet legs and feet and untied trainers!

Why is it that I STILL start every run feeling really awkward and as if I'm trying to use someone else's legs? After 5 minutes everything's settled down and I'm doing OK, but the first couple of minutes, everything's shouting "Stop, this is too hard!" :grumble: Maybe it just takes more practice, til it feels normal!
  • carashirley
    carashirley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This time last year, I started running without c25k. I couldn't run more than 30 seconds at a time. And that was really more of a slow jog then a run. I was about 275 lbs. I kept at it and worked my self up to jogging a mile at a time. The farthest I went without stopping was 2.25 miles. I did 1 5K and had to walk a good bit of it (lots of hills and I had been jogging on a flat surface, also I hadn't even ran a mile straight at that point). I finished in 50 minutes...I cried like a baby when I finished! I couldn't believe I had actually done it!! I kept jogging...running through extreme foot pain (I have plantar fasciitis & have shoe inserts to help with it) but wasn't eating as good as I should have. I did my 2nd 5K 1 1/2 months after after my 1st and had a worse time than I did before. I felt defeated. I thought I should get better by at least a minute..not getting slower!! To make it worse I had an horrible flare up of plantar fasciitis and couldn't (literally) walk for almost 2 days. It was at that point I hung it up. I just gave it all up! My weight grew to 290lbs...I let my addiction to food rule my life. I outgrew almost all my clothes in my closet. Felt like a sad pathetic mess.

2 weeks ago, after much prompting from the Holy Spirit, I decided enough was enough I was over letting my weight, food addiction & past failures rule my life. I was going to start this thing again and I WAS going to finish it!! I began reading (really listening on audiobook) Made To Crave by Lysa TerKeurst. I learned about the link between our spiritual walk and our physical walk with the Lord. I started eating right and joined a gym. I lost 6.4 lbs in the first week. I tried running on the treadmill and was suprised when I was able to run for a minute at a time at 4.5 mph! I began thinking.. I may actually be able to do this running thing again! I kept at it for another week, walking with spurts of running. I lost 1 lb in my next week (which ended yesterday). Great thing is I didn't let that defeat me! I choose to let it motivate me!! I decided I've got to do more and really get real about this. 4 days a week at the gym will help when I'm trying to maintain...but I need 6 days if I'm losing! I decided to start C25K, set up a definite plan & sign up for a 5K in the fall to give myself something to look forward to! I even signed up for a 6 week bootcamp class that will meet 3 days a week. On the days I'm not doing to boot camp I will do C25K. The bootcamp starts in a couple weeks, which is perfect. It will mean I will end C25K & the bootcamp at the same time!

Anyway, I said all that to say this. I started C25K last night and was able to run the entire time at an average of 5mph during the running intervals! I give all the glory to God! I am able to walk today with no pain but most importantly I have hope! I know, through & with God, I will be able to finish the task ahead of me. My ultimate goal is to run a half marathon. I know I will need to get a good portion of my weight off before I can do that. But its coming! This I know for sure, because I am not relying on my own strength to get it done. On my on I am but a weak and frail human being, but through God I can do ANYTHING!!!!!!!
  • beattie1
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you've picked yourself up again Carashirley and have found the energy and strength to get yourself moving and your eating on the right path. I hope it goes well for you - keep us informed! :happy:
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Finished W2D1 this morning and loved it! I noticed I'm getting faster even though I'm not even trying. Maybe because the first week I was barely jogging any faster than I was walking. LOL

My goal is to be patient with myself and avoid injury! I've started C25K 2 or 3 times before but had to quit by around week 7 each time because of knee, foot, or ankle pain. This time I'm doing my runs slower than I think I can and always rest at least one day between workouts. I'm also not afraid to repeat days or weeks as needed. I did week 1 twice before moving on to week 2. Slow and steady wins the race. Or at least finishes ;)
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Momma2CharlieJane Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Finally got W2D1 done - a day later than I wanted, but I think it may have helped. The only time I felt I had to push myself was the last 30 seconds of the final 90 second jog. I also did a little stretching before my run and I didn't have nearly any muscle pulling in my lower calf that I had been getting and it didn't start to bother me until about 1/2 through (pretty much the first step of the jog was when it started to bother me).

To top it all off, I lost almost 5lbs this week too! Can't wait for W2D2 on Friday! Thanks for the info on the stretching.
  • beattie1
    Options
    * Tracita and NicoleAvila are neck and neck! * :happy:
    Well done both of you, it's nice to see that you're pacing yourselves and taking it steady! Way to go! :happy:
  • DLC1978
    DLC1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you've picked yourself up again Carashirley and have found the energy and strength to get yourself moving and your eating on the right path. I hope it goes well for you - keep us informed! :happy:

I agree... Well done!!! Can't wait to hear about your progress :)
  • DLC1978
    DLC1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    So, I did W8D2 today.... It was AWFUL!! We had 93% humidity this morning and I never felt like I got into my rhythm. My heart rate was crazy high and I felt like quitting. I walked about 30-45 seconds somewhere after halfway and then managed to finish. Total distance (for 28 minute "run" portion) 2.3 miles, average speed 4.8 mph. Not quite like Monday where I felt unstoppable!! I am just going to try to forget about today and focus on finishing the program on Friday or Saturday.

Hope you all have a better run than I did!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    So, I did W8D2 today.... It was AWFUL!! We had 93% humidity this morning and I never felt like I got into my rhythm. My heart rate was crazy high and I felt like quitting. I walked about 30-45 seconds somewhere after halfway and then managed to finish. Total distance (for 28 minute "run" portion) 2.3 miles, average speed 4.8 mph. Not quite like Monday where I felt unstoppable!! I am just going to try to forget about today and focus on finishing the program on Friday or Saturday.

Hope you all have a better run than I did!

I really struggled with that day too, but the next run I was unstoppable again. I am sure you will be too.
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Okay So I am week 1 day 3, Going to the gym after work to get on the treadmill. I feel like a turtle though because I am jogging at a snail's pace (3.3 mph). My shins hurt pretty bad. Any words of encouragement out there? I am used to walking alot. I also do zumba twice a week, along with body combat as well twice a week. I should be losing a ton of weight but it is going nowhere.
  • carashirley
    carashirley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Okay So I am week 1 day 3, Going to the gym after work to get on the treadmill. I feel like a turtle though because I am jogging at a snail's pace (3.3 mph). My shins hurt pretty bad. Any words of encouragement out there? I am used to walking alot. I also do zumba twice a week, along with body combat as well twice a week. I should be losing a ton of weight but it is going nowhere.

The pain is temporary! Its just muscles protesting because they aren't used to being used in such a way! If the pain gets worse though you may need to look into a new pair of running shoes!
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options

The pain is temporary! Its just muscles protesting because they aren't used to being used in such a way! If the pain gets worse though you may need to look into a new pair of running shoes!

Thanks. Have to admit I do need new sneakers. I am wearing New Balance (my favorite) but they are old. I have another pair of New Balance but don't like the way they feel. Any suggestions? I researched new sneakers Nike has a pair that are supposed to be good?