How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I'm sad though since this is my first "fail" since I started this. But I am not giving up! I have a feeling this week will be repeated though.

Just fight thru it!!

I did W4, D1 today to the Michael Jackson podcast. It's nice to have new music with each session.

I made it almost the whole 5 minutes but at the end of the hill, I had to walk. The hill was steep. But, I maintained the heart rate in the upper 150's so it was upper limits cardio-wise.

Tuesday will be my next run.

Danny - I plan to sign up as well in MN. It sounds super fun although a bit creepy!!
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I just have the ones I referenced above ( http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/running-podcast.aspx )

Some of the music on the plan I'm doing now hasn't been to my taste, but I hardly notice it most of the time - it just keeps me going!

Re mapping, someone on here earlier suggested mapmyrun.com and I've put in a couple of the routes I use, but it suffers from a major drawback. The maps it uses are from Google & where I live they're not all that accurate. It's got a phantom roads that doesn't exist that it keeps trying to make me use, and other minor roads and tracks are not on it at all, so it's not really usable as I like to use footpaths and tracks as I'm in less danger of being run over!

The best I could do to try to check distance/ speed was to find a route on Google maps that I could run and measure it from where I started running to where I ended up after 25 minutes.

Kudos to you and your husband, pushing that stroller! That SURELY ups the calorie burn!!

Thanks for the reply! As for the mapping thing - it's frustrating. Hubby tried Runtastic on his work phone (blackberry) but it won't connect to the GPS. (It's probably an issue with the limits placed on his phone not the app.) I didn't even think to try the tablet. Good for you for thinking of putting it in a pouch and going for it. It must be frustrating that Google wants to do it's own thing. What kind of tablet do you have - maybe a different app would work better...?

We did Week 2, day 1 today and I'm pretty sure I felt the extra calories burning when it was my turn to push the stroller. LOL It isn't too bad overall, but hills are killer!

(edit to remove the quotes of quotes of quotes! & fix spelling)
  • fitgalin22
    fitgalin22 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Last week I kind of tested it out to see if I could handle it but only for a mile. It sure seems like a challenge but I am so ready to try the c25k. I've been tempting to try this out since I found about it in January. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml I've had it bookmarked since then and finally am willing to try it out for the next couple of weeks and see how it goes for me. :happy:
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Last week I kind of tested it out to see if I could handle it but only for a mile. It sure seems like a challenge but I am so ready to try the c25k. I've been tempting to try this out since I found about it in January. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml I've had it bookmarked since then and finally am willing to try it out for the next couple of weeks and see how it goes for me. :happy:

Give it a try! The first runs are just for a minute at a time - you don't need (and aren't expected) to be able to run for a mile when you start out. You build up to that slowly.
  • me_baker
    me_baker Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HI Everyone.
    I am new to fitness pal (was using weight watchers) and I found this thread. I am doing C25K - I just finished week 4 which took me two weeks to complete. Seems like that 1/2 mile was beating me for a while but I finally succeeded! Tomorrow I am going to move on to week 5. Week 5 seems like such a huge hurdle! A two mile jog on day three! Anyone out there feel the same way when you got to week 5 and did you succeed?
  • vzgregg
    vzgregg Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i'm doing the timed version of C25K rather than the distance version. i think this may be easier? don't know b/c running for 20 minutes seems pretty daunting in whatever week that hits!

i just finished W2D1 and it was pretty easy...but it's only 90 seconds of run with 2 mins of walk for 6 intervals. once i get to the 3 minutes of run and more...that's when i'll start struggling. so, i guess i'll enjoy it while i can. :)
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Momma2CharlieJane Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Completed W1D3 yesterday. It was a little tough, but I was able to push through it. Really nervous about doing W2D1 tomorrow morning. I was thinking of trying to get in 30 minutes of walking on my off days, but don't want to over-extend myself. It seems to be the same muscle on my right leg that gives me trouble once I start the run. I try to slow down my jog and that helps, but it would be nice if it didn't start on the first jogging minute. I think jogging 90 secs will be ok since I get 2 minutes to walk it out. Fingers crossed tomorrow works out.

Do you guys walk on your off day?
  • vzgregg
    vzgregg Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i walk or swim on my days off...or i repeat a session from that week.

are you getting a good stretch in before you start your walk/run? that may help that muscle loosen up some before you get going on it.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    HI Everyone.
    I am new to fitness pal (was using weight watchers) and I found this thread. I am doing C25K - I just finished week 4 which took me two weeks to complete. Seems like that 1/2 mile was beating me for a while but I finally succeeded! Tomorrow I am going to move on to week 5. Week 5 seems like such a huge hurdle! A two mile jog on day three! Anyone out there feel the same way when you got to week 5 and did you succeed?

I feel for you! Haha. When I saw W5D3 was 2 miles I thought they were insane. No way. I had never ran a mile in my life. But I actually managed it. Slow and steady. You can do it. I was so proud of myself after completing that one. If I can do it, so can you!
  • beattie1
    Options
    Completed W1D3 yesterday. It was a little tough, but I was able to push through it. Really nervous about doing W2D1 tomorrow morning. I was thinking of trying to get in 30 minutes of walking on my off days, but don't want to over-extend myself. It seems to be the same muscle on my right leg that gives me trouble once I start the run. I try to slow down my jog and that helps, but it would be nice if it didn't start on the first jogging minute. I think jogging 90 secs will be ok since I get 2 minutes to walk it out. Fingers crossed tomorrow works out.

Do you guys walk on your off day?

I've found EVERY step up to the new week daunting!!
    I quite often walk on my rest days, but don't make a big thing of it, I often walk to our local shops (almost a hour round trip and pretty hilly). As I'm quite old, heavy and get achey I now give myself 2 rest days if I need them before doing a "jogging day".

See how you feel - I think doing nothing would be a mistake, as would doing too much. (Unless you're knackered!!)
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi guys I love c25k, I'm on week 5 day 3, couldn't manage the full 20 minutes, I did 17 so almost there, I will repeat until I do the 20, it's more mind over matter I think. I would love thou to add me for support, out on my next run tomorrow, can't wait I think it's the best form of exercise ever. Just to let you know I am a newly diagnosed diabetic and since starting c25k I have reduced my glucose levels and don't need to go on medication, also my blood pressure has reduced well into safe levels, so not only do I enjoy it, it's helping my health. Next year I hope to run my first 5k race for charity. Good luck to everyone and keep running!
  • beattie1
    Options
    What kind of tablet do you have - maybe a different app would work better...?

I have some generic, unbranded tablet that runs android. Does that make sense? I told my OH I wanted a cheap mp3 player to take running and download podcasts and music onto, Being techy he said what I should have was a tablet. I'm not sure he was right! :-?

Anyway, I made a fabric pouch for it and found an elastic belt that I made quite tight round my waist so it can't slip about and it's working well enough. I find having music - almost ANY music - makes the time fly by and disguises the noise of my breathing and my feet pounding as I scurry along.
  • beattie1
    Options
    Hi guys I love c25k, I'm on week 5 day 3, couldn't manage the full 20 minutes, I did 17 so almost there, I will repeat until I do the 20, it's more mind over matter I think. I would love thou to add me for support, out on my next run tomorrow, can't wait I think it's the best form of exercise ever. Just to let you know I am a newly diagnosed diabetic and since starting c25k I have reduced my glucose levels and don't need to go on medication, also my blood pressure has reduced well into safe levels, so not only do I enjoy it, it's helping my health. Next year I hope to run my first 5k race for charity. Good luck to everyone and keep running!

Wow, you're doing brilliantly to reduce your medical problems.

I managed W5D3 on the second attempt as well. I found I just HAD to take some walking breaks the first time - did it more easily the second time. I chose a cooler time of day and re-jigged my route so the hilly bits came earlier in the run. Another key thing - go slowly enough to be able to complete the run - speed comes later on. Much later on!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Options

17 minutes is still super impressive. Good for you. Best of luck on your goal to run a 5k for charity. That sounds wonderful.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options

17 minutes is still super impressive. Good for you. Best of luck on your goal to run a 5k for charity. That sounds wonderful.

Agreed, don't stop trying!!
  • rrcorleto
    rrcorleto Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started MFP on May 5 of this year. I am 44 years old, 6', and weighed somewhere around 350 pounds (couldn't tell you exactly, scale didn't read above that). I finally started to really think about potential health issues and that it was becoming difficult to do some outdoor activities, like sports. I have also been a volunteer fire fighter for over 25 years in a busy firehouse and was concerned about my ability to perform there as well. I had dropped to 325 pounds by mid-June through portion control, meticulously logging what I ate, and walking almost every night, usually between 2 and 3 miles, depending on the day. I found I was getting bored with the walking so I decided to try the C25K program, having not run a step since High School. I completed week 1 with a good deal of calf and arch pain so I went to a running store and got some running shoes, as well as some custom inserts. As skeptical as I was I can tell you that they made a huge difference. Arch pain is gone and the calf pain is greatly reduced. I am now working on my running form, as I feel that may have something to do with my discomfort. I switched from running on the street to running on the local HS track with a softer, giving surface and that seems to have helped also.

My downfall was that I went on vacation after completing week 2. I went somewhere where there was a lot of hiking to do but no real chance to run. Then when I came back we had that brutal heat wave on the East coast so walking was barely tolerable, let alone running. So finally last week I started up the C25K again. I wanted to ramp back up again so I did a run from week 1 the first night, then a run from week 2 the second night, with a rest day in between. I seemed to be OK so tonight I will attempt week 3, day one and get this rolling again. I have been pretty good with attaining my goals so far (25 pounds by vacations, 50 pounds by Labor day which I should hit, I am currently at 310) and I set one for myself that I would like to run a 5k by the end of September. These couple of weeks lost may have set me back but I still may be able to make my goal, so I''l just keep plugging along.
  • sarah32lee
    sarah32lee Posts: 5,279 Member
    Options
    W1 d1 done!!! Yay me!!! :)
  • beattie1
    Options

You got started! Yay you!! :happy:
  • beattie1
    Options
    I started MFP on May 5 of this year. I am 44 years old, 6', and weighed somewhere around 350 pounds (couldn't tell you exactly, scale didn't read above that). I finally started to really think about potential health issues and that it was becoming difficult to do some outdoor activities, like sports. I have also been a volunteer fire fighter for over 25 years in a busy firehouse and was concerned about my ability to perform there as well. I had dropped to 325 pounds by mid-June through portion control, meticulously logging what I ate, and walking almost every night, usually between 2 and 3 miles, depending on the day. I found I was getting bored with the walking so I decided to try the C25K program, having not run a step since High School. I completed week 1 with a good deal of calf and arch pain so I went to a running store and got some running shoes, as well as some custom inserts. As skeptical as I was I can tell you that they made a huge difference. Arch pain is gone and the calf pain is greatly reduced. I am now working on my running form, as I feel that may have something to do with my discomfort. I switched from running on the street to running on the local HS track with a softer, giving surface and that seems to have helped also.

My downfall was that I went on vacation after completing week 2. I went somewhere where there was a lot of hiking to do but no real chance to run. Then when I came back we had that brutal heat wave on the East coast so walking was barely tolerable, let alone running. So finally last week I started up the C25K again. I wanted to ramp back up again so I did a run from week 1 the first night, then a run from week 2 the second night, with a rest day in between. I seemed to be OK so tonight I will attempt week 3, day one and get this rolling again. I have been pretty good with attaining my goals so far (25 pounds by vacations, 50 pounds by Labor day which I should hit, I am currently at 310) and I set one for myself that I would like to run a 5k by the end of September. These couple of weeks lost may have set me back but I still may be able to make my goal, so I''l just keep plugging along.

What you're achieving is AWESOME!!

Good luck with the training - you've got 2 months til the 5k date, so there's a good chance you'll be able to run most / all of it by then.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Options

Welcome to the world of running!