How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• vzgregg
    vzgregg Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just started this again. I like the first two weeks so much I had just stuck with doing those intervals and never moved on. I think I'm ready to try the whole thing though. My motivation is to be able to do a mud run with my friends. I'm a soccer player and so you'd think I have this running thing down...but I don't.

I just did W1D3 today. My app has been screwy this week though b/c I've noticed it's been making me run 2 or 3 minute intervals and then I'll have 2 or 3 minute walks...along with my 1 minute intervals...and it's still making me do 8 sets. I have no idea what it's been doing, but it made for a tough first week.

I am in Florida and am running outside usually between 9 and 11 AM. Occasionally I'll probalby have to run in the afternoon. Probably not so smart to start in July...due to the heat, but there's no time like the present, right?!?
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Great job this week everyone!!! :drinker: I did week 7, day 1 this morning! :drinker:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Great job this week everyone!!! :drinker: I did week 7, day 1 this morning! :drinker:

Congrats. I LOVED that day. Haha. W5D3 I was like holy crap. I just ran my first mile ever. My first two miles ever. Wooo. Then in week 6 we walked again. Then week 7 came around and you had to run 2.25 miles and it was like YES! Those first two miles in week 5 were not a fluke! I am a runner. haha
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    It's nice to hear all the success stories and of those moving on to the 10K program.

Vzevens....hot, hot, hot & humid - I'm in MN so the cold is my natural enemy.

Just finished Week 3, after I had cocktails last night. I was dreading the run all day because of it - but, got it DONE.

Next week is 2 - 3 minute runs and 2 - 5 minute runs....the podcast for week #4 is Michael Jackson. I work a 12 hour shift tomorrow and Sunday so I will get this done on Sunday evening or Monday during the day.

KEEP MOVING PEEPS:flowerforyou:
  • abmmm7
    abmmm7 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm on W5 day 1. Please feel free to add me
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Week 7 Day 3 done this morning! 2.12 miles, average speed 5.03 mph (11:56 min/mi) for the 25 minute run... I will take it! Only 3 days left :)
    Are you doing an 8 week program? Mine goes for 9 weeks. I still have a sore knee so I put in 2 rest days between running days.
  • beattie1
    Options
    :drinker: Great job Maureen! I hope to get this done in the next day or two as well!
    Nearly there! :happy:
  • beattie1
    Options
    I'm looking around for what to do when I graduate from C25K. Any recommendations? I don't have a smart phone - I'd be looking fo free or cheap downloads to put onto my tablet computer that I carry in a pouch on a belt.
  • DLC1978
    DLC1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    beattie - yes, I am using the Zen Labs C25K app on iPhone and it is 3 days/week for 8 weeks. There is also a 10K training program that is 14 weeks (the first 8 are identical to C25K).

Are you wanting something to keep going to increase your distance or just maintain what you have achieved?
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 6 with a 25 minute run. I chose a route that I could map on Google - some of the paths I use aren't recorded on Google maps & it doesn't seem to allow you to go "cross country" without a path. I find that I ran 1.9 miles in my 25 minutes. I've used a conversion program & that's 13 minutes per mile or 4.56 miles per hour. Not speedy, but I did do 210 feet of climb and descent in there too. And as my OH points out - there was a matchstick I hurdled too.... :laugh:

Now on to week 7 and building up the time and speed.

Have a look at map my run, great website. I have so many routes marked out with them lol You can even go ' cross country' by taking a tick out :smile:

Thanks for that! I had a look at map my run before but there seems to be nothing recorded where I live (out in the sticks), I don't have a smart phone - do I need one to add data to the website? I'm old and technologically challenged & can't see how to make it work.

You make your own routes. Ive seen others in my area but dont bother with them and mark out my own.

You can enter everything on the website, no need to have an app for the data but they do a free app if you do get a smartphone one day, you log how may runs ect, you can log your food intake and set achievements, not sure if you have to make an account to see it all but for free its good!
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I started C25K at the beginning of June. By the end of week 3 I decided to push to see how far I could go before recovery with the intervals. I went 9 minutes, and thats when my knees started hurting, progressively getting worse over the following 2 weeks with the 3 times a week running. I run outdoors on the sidewalk. Finally I found a solution. Run the first day of the week outside. If my knees hurt any at the end of the run, the next session is on the elliptical. You'll still get your cardio, time/distance (up the resistance though or you'll never hit target BPM), but there's basically no impact. This morning was the end of week 8 for me (delayed from my normal Thursday run due to work schedule), and I had no problems running. Apart from shoes, make sure you get ample rest time for your knees. They'll heal. If you let them.
  • beattie1
    Options
    beattie - yes, I am using the Zen Labs C25K app on iPhone and it is 3 days/week for 8 weeks. There is also a 10K training program that is 14 weeks (the first 8 are identical to C25K).

Are you wanting something to keep going to increase your distance or just maintain what you have achieved?

I guess I'm looking to run a bit further and a bit faster, though I understand that will come with practice. By the time I get to the end of C25K I'm hoping I'll be closer to doing 5k (3 miles) or so in the half hour.

I've found these downloads -
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/running-podcast.aspx
    which carry on from the program I've been using.
  • beattie1
    Options
    I did W7D1 (same as W6D3 on my C25K plan, both 25 unbroken minutes) but it seemed harder today. Maybe I was just not having a good day for it, but it seemed like more of an effort. I made it though! And the rain held off, mostly.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm looking around for what to do when I graduate from C25K. Any recommendations? I don't have a smart phone - I'd be looking fo free or cheap downloads to put onto my tablet computer that I carry in a pouch on a belt.

Did you find anything for your tablet? I don't have a smart phone either so I have been directing our runs using a podcast on my ipod nano. I was looking for something that would map our run so I could compare it with the distances that the ipod is logging. Yeah, I have technology trust issues! :laugh:

A little about me/us.
    My husband and I just finished week 1. We take turns pushing our son in the jogging stroller and, as I mentioned above, I direct our run using a podcast. Right now I'm in search of one with better music. I like the host of the podcast but the techno music is going to drive me crazy! Hubby found the first week easier than I did - not a surprise since his regular workout includes 30 minutes on the treadmill. Mine has about 15 minutes of running the agility ladder & stairs (mixed in with compound strength exercises). I was up to 30 minutes on the elliptical before I changed the routine. Other than that, I am really enjoying the challenge of C25K.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It is really nice to read success stories & compare notes with those still in the program.
  • DannyPatterson18
    DannyPatterson18 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love the c25k! I finished W5D1 yesterday! My reward for finishing this is The Zombie Run in Nashville September 29! It is gonna be so much fun! I have never enjoyed running much in my life (high school football, army), but now I can't stop thinking about it! Keep at it! Ain't nothing like a runner's high!
  • beattie1
    Options

Did you find anything for your tablet? I don't have a smart phone either so I have been directing our runs using a podcast on my ipod nano. I was looking for something that would map our run so I could compare it with the distances that the ipod is logging. Yeah, I have technology trust issues! :laugh:

A little about me/us.
    My husband and I just finished week 1. We take turns pushing our son in the jogging stroller and, as I mentioned above, I direct our run using a podcast. Right now I'm in search of one with better music. I like the host of the podcast but the techno music is going to drive me crazy! Hubby found the first week easier than I did - not a surprise since his regular workout includes 30 minutes on the treadmill. Mine has about 15 minutes of running the agility ladder & stairs (mixed in with compound strength exercises). I was up to 30 minutes on the elliptical before I changed the routine. Other than that, I am really enjoying the challenge of C25K.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It is really nice to read success stories & compare notes with those still in the program.

I just have the ones I referenced above ( http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/running-podcast.aspx )

Some of the music on the plan I'm doing now hasn't been to my taste, but I hardly notice it most of the time - it just keeps me going!

Re mapping, someone on here earlier suggested mapmyrun.com and I've put in a couple of the routes I use, but it suffers from a major drawback. The maps it uses are from Google & where I live they're not all that accurate. It's got a phantom roads that doesn't exist that it keeps trying to make me use, and other minor roads and tracks are not on it at all, so it's not really usable as I like to use footpaths and tracks as I'm in less danger of being run over!

The best I could do to try to check distance/ speed was to find a route on Google maps that I could run and measure it from where I started running to where I ended up after 25 minutes.

Kudos to you and your husband, pushing that stroller! That SURELY ups the calorie burn!!
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks Joreanasaurou and beattie!!! :happy: Great job today beattie! I know what you mean...some days go easier than others. I did week 7 day 1 friday so yesterday was a rest day. I might do day 2 today if not, then tomorrow.
  • sarah32lee
    sarah32lee Posts: 5,279 Member
    Options
    I'M gonna start tomorrow...feel free to add me :)
  • beattie1
    Options
    I'M gonna start tomorrow...feel free to add me :)
    Good luck with that Sarah! Let us know how you get on. Hope it's not too hot for you.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I attempted W8D2 yesterday and failed miserably. I was supposed to run 2.75 miles, but cramped up on 2.45 and felt like I was going to throw up so I had to stop and walk the rest of the way home. W8D1 I was able to push through, which was the same distance, so I am hoping I just had an "off" day and next time I try it I will manage it.

I'm sad though since this is my first "fail" since I started this. But I am not giving up! I have a feeling this week will be repeated though.