How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• seraphinelle
    seraphinelle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi guys I love c25k, I'm on week 5 day 3, couldn't manage the full 20 minutes, I did 17 so almost there, I will repeat until I do the 20, it's more mind over matter I think. I would love thou to add me for support, out on my next run tomorrow, can't wait I think it's the best form of exercise ever. Just to let you know I am a newly diagnosed diabetic and since starting c25k I have reduced my glucose levels and don't need to go on medication, also my blood pressure has reduced well into safe levels, so not only do I enjoy it, it's helping my health. Next year I hope to run my first 5k race for charity. Good luck to everyone and keep running!

Definitely mind over matter, I have realised this for myself recently.

Fantastic health progress.
  • DLC1978
    DLC1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    W1 d1 done!!! Yay me!!! :)

You got started! Yay you!! :happy:

I second that! Great job getting started!
  • DLC1978
    Options
    HI Everyone.
    I am new to fitness pal (was using weight watchers) and I found this thread. I am doing C25K - I just finished week 4 which took me two weeks to complete. Seems like that 1/2 mile was beating me for a while but I finally succeeded! Tomorrow I am going to move on to week 5. Week 5 seems like such a huge hurdle! A two mile jog on day three! Anyone out there feel the same way when you got to week 5 and did you succeed?

I think it's safe to say most people are a little intimidated by W5D3! Just take it slow and try not to think about it... You can do it!
  • CandiceChaCha
    Options
    How fast is everyone jogging/running while on the program?

I am jogging very slow, but I am completing my work outs.. I am doing W6D3 tomorrow.

anyone have any ideas for increasing your speed once you're done? Can I just increase the treadmill speed every couple weeks?
  • DLC1978
    Options
    Completed W1D3 yesterday. It was a little tough, but I was able to push through it. Really nervous about doing W2D1 tomorrow morning. I was thinking of trying to get in 30 minutes of walking on my off days, but don't want to over-extend myself. It seems to be the same muscle on my right leg that gives me trouble once I start the run. I try to slow down my jog and that helps, but it would be nice if it didn't start on the first jogging minute. I think jogging 90 secs will be ok since I get 2 minutes to walk it out. Fingers crossed tomorrow works out.

Do you guys walk on your off day?

I try to walk most days... Even on days I do C25k I tend to take at least a 30 minute walk (usually at work because otherwise my butt would be in my chair ALL DAY!! I take a much slower pace on these walks (about 2.5 to 3 mph compared to my 'workout walk' speed of close to 4 mph).

In terms of your muscle pain, are you stretching? For me, the first few weeks were the hardest because I had been quite sedentary... I usually took 2 rest days in between C25K days in weeks 2-4. Then, I found that my legs would loosen up after a few minutes of jogging.

Best thing to do is listen to your body and try not to over do it ;)
  • DLC1978
    Options
    Wow! I had a rather crappy start to my day and did not get to run this morning as planned :(. It seems as though that carried over into me continuing to have a crappy day.... So, I decided that since it was a rather pleasant evening for end of July (78 degrees here) I would run tonight. Week 8 day 1 complete! Took a different route than normal for safety reasons and I made 2.42 miles for the 28 minute run (5.14 mph)... Now I feel much better! Hope you all have had a better day than I did! Lol :laugh:
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering why everyone is so concerned with being "fast" and increasing speed. The point of C25K is to build ENDURANCE. You cannot have speed without endurance first. My suggestion is to use a heart rate monitor and keep it in the cardiovascular range to keep you on target. As your cardiovascular improves, the speed will come.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    So I redid W8D2 today since I failed it Saturday. And I killed it! 2.75 miles owned. I kept telling myself to slow down and take it easy. Slow and steady and next thing I knew it was over and it was the fastest I ever ran. I averaged about 11.38 a mile and I am usually at about 12.08 or so. That was a nice added bonus. So woo. I'm happy.
  • doriharvey
    doriharvey Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started week 2 day one yesterday and was feeling lots of leg muscle pain, but after checking into some new running shoes designed for my step and a post about it someone suggested some yoga stretching.. (wonderful advice), ready to continue practice tomorrow. I hope to be a part of a 5K first Saturday in October. Would love to be a part of a 5K support. Please feel free to friend me.
  • dtal4ever
    dtal4ever Posts: 1
    Options
    I finished W6D1 today. It was super easy in comparison to W5D3. I was so proud of myself for running 20 straight! It's so crazy that I now look forward to running. I feel sad when it's a non run day. My mom and I have been training together, and we are running our first 5k august 18th. That Thursday will be our final day on the program, then Sunday our first 5k.
    We already have decided we are going to do another one in Sept so that we don't stop training; such a huge difference from 6 weeks ago where we wanted to cry every run day.
  • Dhellia
    Dhellia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just finished W6D2 this morning and I honestly never thought I'd be a runner! I've tried to start running several times before and never succeed. I am planning to run a 5k at the end of August and I'm excited and nervous. I have yet to actually run 5k and am nervous about entering a race I am unsure I can actually run the whole time. Any tips on what to do after finishing the program or what people in cold climates (I mean really cold... like -40 in winter cold) do during the winter would be greatly appreciated! :)
  • fitgalin22
    fitgalin22 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Last week I kind of tested it out to see if I could handle it but only for a mile. It sure seems like a challenge but I am so ready to try the c25k. I've been tempting to try this out since I found about it in January. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml I've had it bookmarked since then and finally am willing to try it out for the next couple of weeks and see how it goes for me. :happy:

Give it a try! The first runs are just for a minute at a time - you don't need (and aren't expected) to be able to run for a mile when you start out. You build up to that slowly.

I did W1D1 today and I failed so I will shoot for another shot at it tomorrow...I felt dizzy around 21 min. into it so I had to take a rest and stop for a couple of mins :cry: ...My body was telling me to stop because I was feeling dizzy and felt like vomiting. I'm doing it on the treadmill at the gym and I usually change the incline but didn't do it today,,,Is it normal to feel dizzy? I did eat over my calories so I could burn those calories at the gym...This little fail won't stop me from achieving this week. I will try tomorrow W1D1. :happy:
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Last week I kind of tested it out to see if I could handle it but only for a mile. It sure seems like a challenge but I am so ready to try the c25k. I've been tempting to try this out since I found about it in January. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml I've had it bookmarked since then and finally am willing to try it out for the next couple of weeks and see how it goes for me. :happy:

Give it a try! The first runs are just for a minute at a time - you don't need (and aren't expected) to be able to run for a mile when you start out. You build up to that slowly.

I did W1D1 today and I failed so I will shoot for another shot at it tomorrow...I felt dizzy around 21 min. into it so I had to take a rest and stop for a couple of mins :cry: ...My body was telling me to stop because I was feeling dizzy and felt like vomiting. I'm doing it on the treadmill at the gym and I usually change the incline but didn't do it today,,,Is it normal to feel dizzy? I did eat over my calories so I could burn those calories at the gym...This little fail won't stop me from achieving this week. I will try tomorrow W1D1. :happy:

I've never run on a treadmill, so what I say may not work for you, but I suggest you've got it set too fast. I jog outside so have NO IDEA what speed I'm doing, but I do know I'm slow. Why not set the treadmill to just above walking pace and go with that? The idea is to be able to complete the time at whatever pace allows you to do that. Once you can do those intervals (60 seconds slow jog followed by 90 seconds walking x 8) you could progress to week 2.

Over and over my download tells me to aim for a "light jog" "don't try to go too fast" "if you're finding it difficult, slow down" "go slow and find a pace that lets you finish the run" "if you're getting tired, slow down, but keep going".

That's the message - slow down!!

And about that message from your body - the one that tells you to stop after about a minute - I get that too and I'm doing week 7. I have a theory that I spent too long on week 1, getting better at running for one minute, and now my brain "knows" when that minute is up and wants to stop. I have to fight to keep going every time, but after about 5 minutes the autopilot has taken over and is cruising. That's when it gets better!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    And about that message from your body - the one that tells you to stop after about a minute - I get that too and I'm doing week 7. I have a theory that I spent too long on week 1, getting better at running for one minute, and now my brain "knows" when that minute is up and wants to stop. I have to fight to keep going every time, but after about 5 minutes the autopilot has taken over and is cruising. That's when it gets better!

^^Yes, yes, yes^^^

I am finding the longer intervals are easier than stopping and going, stopping and going, etc. Autopilot is where it's comfortable to be at AND IS PROGRESS.

Heading out now for W4, D3...before the rain starts
  • nataliedgx
    Options
    I was on week 4 day 3 but then went on a two week holiday where I couldn't run (too many hills). I tried to pick up from where I left off but had to give up :( so I'm going back to beginning of week 3.
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Momma2CharlieJane Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to get out this morning to do W2D1, but I am hoping to either tonight or will def. do it tomorrow morning. I'm not stretching at all before I start. It's been a long time since I've done anything more than walk so I don't even think to do it. I literally go from bed to dress to out the door. What stretches do you guys do to warm up? Any good websites I can check out to get an idea?

I think I am going to add walking on my off days for now. I have a treadmill and an elliptical at home, but really enjoy getting outside (even in the rain) as there are better things to look at. Eventually I'd like to add the elliptical and maybe a work out video too.
  • Stlarenas
    Stlarenas Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to get out this morning to do W2D1, but I am hoping to either tonight or will def. do it tomorrow morning. I'm not stretching at all before I start. It's been a long time since I've done anything more than walk so I don't even think to do it. I literally go from bed to dress to out the door. What stretches do you guys do to warm up? Any good websites I can check out to get an idea?

I think I am going to add walking on my off days for now. I have a treadmill and an elliptical at home, but really enjoy getting outside (even in the rain) as there are better things to look at. Eventually I'd like to add the elliptical and maybe a work out video too.

Especially in the early week, I think it is more important to stretch after the run, when your muscles are still warm. My calves hurt for the first 4 weeks A LOT! But then somewhere around week 5 the pain went away....and now I need to remind myself to stretch. Others here who are more experienced runners will likely chime in with links to stretching for runners. I know I say one posted in one of these threads back when I was in the early weeks.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow runners. I saw this yesterday and it totally inspired and moved me to run more, so I wanted to share: http://www.whoirun4.com/

I even signed up, so hopefully soon I can get paired with someone I can run for. :)
  • vzgregg
    vzgregg Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    W2D2 done. Had to run at noon today rather than 10 AM. It was HOT! Did fairly well though. Don't think I'll get to run tomorrow...but hopefully I'll get to walk that afternoon.
  • CandiceChaCha
    Options
    I finished W6D3 today.. talk about intimidating!!! But i did it! I can't even believe it!

I am excited to finish and work on my speed.. it's slooow going right now in order to finish the workouts so I need to either work on my speed, or grow a few inches.. I guess it's work on my speed! lol