How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Completed week 5 day 2 tonight. Doing pretty good. Legs are feeling it, partly from doing plyometrics X last night.
  • petitsoleil123
    Options
    Starting tomorrow. Got Nike runners and pants today. So excited.
  • mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Starting tomorrow. Got Nike runners and pants today. So excited.

Awesome, you'll do great!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Completed week 5 day 2 tonight. Doing pretty good. Legs are feeling it, partly from doing plyometrics X last night.

Good job! Careful with Plyo X - my sports medicine doctor told me to avoid plyo completely. I tried it once but it's just too stressful on my lower body.
  • mycrobemini
    Options
    I took a week off, and was still able to make it all the way through W4D1....yay me!

My hips are sore, but I'm hopeful that it's just temporary.
  • bryionak
    Options
    Completed Week 5 Day 3. I ran 1.8 miles in 22 minutes and walked a little over a mile for a cool down. Legs are definitely feeling it, but proud of how far I have come in 5 weeks.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Completed week 8 yesterday with a 5-mile run around Stone Mountain. I just wanted to see if I could do it without stopping and I did. I've tried before but never could do it. That totally gives me the confidence to jump into 10K training next week.
  • cds_momto3
    cds_momto3 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Figured I'd join in! I just did W7D1 yesterday, at our local park. I typically run on the treadmill at our gym, because I end up needing to go work out late at night after the kids are all in bed. Now that I'm past the incremental training and am running a full 2.5 miles, I'm planning to do at least one run per week outside to prepare more for my 5K May 4.

I am one who NEVER thought I could be a runner, so this whole process has been pretty thrilling for me!
  • mycrobemini
    Options
    Figured I'd join in! I just did W7D1 yesterday, at our local park. I typically run on the treadmill at our gym, because I end up needing to go work out late at night after the kids are all in bed. Now that I'm past the incremental training and am running a full 2.5 miles, I'm planning to do at least one run per week outside to prepare more for my 5K May 4.

I am one who NEVER thought I could be a runner, so this whole process has been pretty thrilling for me!

Did you find it a hard switch to the outdoor running?
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Officially singed up for a 5k fun run. its a 5k just not timed. My first 5k ever.

i am also currently on week 4 of C25K. I have 2 months to finish before the 5k.
  • blinker86
    blinker86 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm starting W3D1 today, and I'm a little nervous about the 3 minutes of running. It will also be my first time outdoors instead of on the treadmill.
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    i'm actually starting C25K today! wish me luck, and motivation to stick it out for the entire program! <3
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Completed W6D1 last night. I ran outside again. I really need to move somewhere where we have less hills, it doesn't seem fair lol. It was tough, especially because I had 4 days off. We went out of town and celebrated my sister's Sweet 16. I ate waaaay too much and it was too much of bad things :( I can really feel it bogging me down.

I'm debating about doing 30 Day Shred tonight or going to the gym. We have a beach camping trip next month. Ooooh! A run on the beach :)
  • strickland8052
    strickland8052 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had finally gotten to where I could run 3 miles without walking. I was about to move up to 3.5 miles and BAM! I got a stomach virus that lasted three weeks! (On the bright side, I lost 10 pounds.) Now I have to start all over again. :( I've been just jogging a mile three times a week, but I need to kick it back into intervals. Maybe this post will give me some motivation.
  • Ash_Diya
    Ash_Diya Posts: 36
    Options
    Today will be my week 2 day 2. Looking forward to it.
  • mycrobemini
    Options
    Did W4D2 last night...it always seems that day 2 is harder than day 1, which then stresses me out for day 3. anyone else have this problem? This pattern really worries me for week 5...
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I finished W3D1 Sunday. I seriously cannot believe I ran for 3 minutes. I wanted to stop SO badly!! W3D2 tonight.
  • babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I used to run a couple of years ago but started the C25K plan again yesterday with my friend to encourage her and also to stop me from trying to go out too fast and far and injure myself. I found day 1 pretty easy and am looking forward to going out today to do day 2 even though the weather is yucky.
  • bryionak
    Options
    Finished Week 6 Day 1 last night. iced my left knee for a bit afterwards, but no real pain or soreness today. I am going to finish this and then keep going!!!
  • mycrobemini
    Options
    I was reading about HIIT and trying to sort out if the interval portion of C25K qualified as a type of HIIT. That lead me to researching heart rate guidelines and I found the information below on www.thewalkingsite.com. From this, I spend most of my 30 minutes of C25K in the Endurance Zone, and roughly 4-5 minutes in the Performance Zone. I really need to burn fat, so now I'm unsure if C25K is the right thing for me right now.

Where do you all fall in the zones during your C25K workouts (if you have HRMs)?

TRAINING ZONES

Healthy Heart Zone (Warm up) --- 50 - 60% of maximum heart rate: The easiest zone and probably the best zone for people just starting a fitness program. It can also be used as a warm up for more serious walkers. This zone has been shown to help decrease body fat, blood pressure and cholesterol. It also decreases the risk of degenerative diseases and has a low risk of injury. 85% of calories burned in this zone are fats!

Fitness Zone (Fat Burning) --- 60 - 70% of maximum heart rate: This zone provides the same benefits as the healthy heart zone, but is more intense and burns more total calories. The percent of fat calories is still 85%.

Aerobic Zone (Endurance Training) --- 70 - 80% of maximum heart rate: The aerobic zone will improve your cardiovascular and respiratory system AND increase the size and strength of your heart. This is the preferred zone if you are training for an endurance event. More calories are burned with 50% from fat.

Anaerobic Zone (Performance Training) --- 80 - 90% of maximum heart rate: Benefits of this zone include an improved VO2 maximum (the highest amount of oxygen one can consume during exercise) and thus an improved cardiorespiratory system, and a higher lactate tolerance ability which means your endurance will improve and you'll be able to fight fatigue better. This is a high intensity zone burning more calories, 15 % from fat.

Red Line (Maximum Effort) --- 90 - 100% of maximum heart rate: Although this zone burns the highest number of calories, it is very intense. Most people can only stay in this zone for short periods. You should only train in this zone if you are in very good shape and have been cleared by a physician to do so.