How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• Wgbn32
    Wgbn32 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    W5D1 kicked my *kitten* yesterday. Not sure if I was just tired and didn't get enough fuel in before hand....but I really struggled. I already know ill be on this one for at least a week or two.

Do people do other workouts in combo with c2k? On my off days I do an hour on the elliptical and weight training. I wasn't able to do much weight training the last week or so and I feel like that has had an affect on my running. Is there a correlation there or am I just thinking too much about it?
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you all go to Community and then Groups, there is a C25K group over there with all kinds of members and support no matter where you're at in your training. I have found it invaulable. Love my MFP community!! (W7D1 BTW) Can't believe I just said week SEVEN!!
  • Exhaleskinny
    Options
    Just started this too! Day 3 :)
  • bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am pushing pretty hard. here is my schedule doing C25K and P90X

Monday - kenpo X (Cardio exercise kicking and lunching)
    Tuesday - Chest & Back, C25K Day 1
    Wednesday - plyometrics X (Cardio with jumping and higher impact stuff)
    Thursday - Shoulders & arms, C25K Day 2
    Friday - rest or yoga
    Saturday - yoga or Legs & Back
    Sunday - C25K Day 3

I am pretty much skipping ab ripper X. I once made the mistake of doing legs & back and then running. I was really hurting during and after that.
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm litterally going from couch to 5K. I am not a runner, I hate running. But I was talked into signing up for the 5K at the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon this Sunday. So, I'm just going to wing it! Hoping that I'm in good enough shape from all my workout videos and cardio sessions on the elliptical. I figure worse case scenario, I can at least walk it!
  • jewelzjulie
    Options
    Week 3, day 3 !!
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I did W6D2 last night. It was a busy night for me. I got off work at 5, drove home (5:30), and had to leave for a class at 6:30. So I squeezed C25k in from 5:30-6:00ish and grabbed a quick dinner. I think I would have done better if I wasn't rushing. I finished, but I didn't push myself as hard as I should have.

As for adding other workouts. I did weights on one of my days off this week. I'm still deciding if I should do 30 Day Shred. Last time I tried I killed my legs. I'd hate to try it and not be able to run. Then again, last time I did it, I did it barefoot. Maybe shoes will help.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I am pushing pretty hard. here is my schedule doing C25K and P90X

Monday - kenpo X (Cardio exercise kicking and lunching)
    Tuesday - Chest & Back, C25K Day 1
    Wednesday - plyometrics X (Cardio with jumping and higher impact stuff)
    Thursday - Shoulders & arms, C25K Day 2
    Friday - rest or yoga
    Saturday - yoga or Legs & Back
    Sunday - C25K Day 3

I am pretty much skipping ab ripper X. I once made the mistake of doing legs & back and then running. I was really hurting during and after that.

Wow, I can't imagine doing P90X the same day as running! I do the strength training + ab ripper x on M/W/F and C25K on Tu/Th/Sun. Next week I start a more advanced running plan and run on Tu/Th/Sat/Sun. I do Legs & Back on Fridays and I know that Saturday run is going to be a killer! My legs hurt for 2-3 days after that workout.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Just started this too! Day 3 :)

Good for you! Don't push too hard, don't give up, and have fun with the program!
  • bryionak
    Options
    Did P90X shoulders & arms after work and after I got the kids to bed completed Week 6 Day 2. Yeah I am probably pushing it a little hard. pretty sure next week I am going to have to take Plyometrics out. running Tues, Plyo wed, running thurs is just too much on my knees. probably going to substitute in Core Synergistics since I am not doing Ab ripper.

I got my new HRM monitor for my birthday, Polar FT7. I love it. I had an avg HR of 148 and max of 166. This includes the warm up, not the cool down. Excited the run walk intervals are done now. Just need to work on increasing my time running and increasing my pace.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Yeah, my sports med doctor told me not to do plyo, ever. Core Synergistics is a great workout. I look forward to my recovery weeks just to do that exercise.

The FT7 is great. That's what I used all last year until I got a Garmin for Christmas.
  • bryionak
    Options
    Yeah you have told me a couple times about not doing plyo. Think I may be finally ready to listen, hehe.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it! On week 2 right now. I kind of did day 1 yesterday. I say "kind of" because it was killing me (I'm very out of shape) so I shortened a couple of the 1.5 minute runs to 1.2 minutes. I plan to do the Pretty Muddy run in Chicago on Sept 7. :happy:
  • kaitlynsmom
    kaitlynsmom Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    On Week 4 day 3. Had to repeat this week as the 5 min runs were tough for me. But I know I can do it next time I run and look forward to week 5. I have 2 5k's coming up and a half marathon in August!!
  • wordyroo
    wordyroo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Finished W4D1 last night and actually managed to run the full 5 minutes both times. Is anyone out there also doing this with a jogging stroller? It's so much easier when I don't have my son with me, but that's not an option the next two weeks. Anyone have any tips for jogging with a stroller as I look at W5D3 in dread? :laugh:
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Yeah you have told me a couple times about not doing plyo. Think I may be finally ready to listen, hehe.

LOL! I knew I mentioned that somewhere on this board but couldn't remember where.
  • Wgbn32
    Wgbn32 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Repeated W5D1 yesterday. I did a lot better than the first time. Finished the 1st two intervals fine but the last one still got me. Running 5 minutes straight 3 times is hard but I'm determined to do it. Probably have to do this day a few more times before I feel comfortable moving on.
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i did W6D3 earlier today. I think I might repeat the week. I enjoyed it, but I did stop a couple times for about 30 sec. each. I have about 5 weeks until Warrior Dash and only two weeks left in the C25K program.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I've been repeating a few weeks since starting to run with a friend. Trying to do 5x/week and she's all caught up to where I left off which was week 5... it's nice to have company but out conversations leave a little to be desired now that we're into week 5! LOL Did day 2 (the 2 8 minute stints) nervous about day 3... definitely repeating W5D2 a few times before I take a crack at 20 minutes. Just wanted to pop in and say I DIDN"T ABANDON c25k and my buddies on this thread :)
  • Islandgirl52
    Islandgirl52 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Tomorrows run will be W9D3. I can't believe I can run for 30 min! I have never been too successful with running in the past, and have tried it a few times over the past 30 years. Now at 53 I am doing my first 5k on May 4. I think this time has been better as I'm a lot stronger all around, due to strength training. Looking forward to finding out what my time will be. For all those in the early weeks, keep going, you can do it!