Detoxinating the liver?

Options
I have heard that if you gave a high cholesterol, your liver is very unhealthy. I do have a high cholesterol. My friend told me that if I water fast for 2 days every week, it'll help with the cholesterol, burn more fat, and make me lose weight. Has anyone tried this before? Can anyone tell me if this works?
Thanks!

Replies

• crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    DO NOT do that. That will be horrible for your body.

What I do: Every morning I start my day with a cup of hot water and lemon. I also do a "Detox" Yoga session every morning. It aids your digestion as well. It is just 20 minutes but it is full of twists and inversions which help rinse out your organs.

And seek some advice from your doctor. He may have some natural cleansing tips for you as well. A water fast will not be healthy for you in the long run!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Anytime someone doesn't eat for 2 days your going to lose weight by burning fat and as Sara would say, "detoxing isn't a medical term it's a sales pitch". As far as high cholesterol indicating the liver is unhealthy, no, there's no cause and effect happening to my knowledge.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I think that is too drastic for a young person. I think small, healthy changes will make a bigger difference. Like adding some fruit and veggies to your snacks and meals. Everything in moderation, so maybe add an extra glass of water to your day ( in addition to your meals.) :happy:
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    High cholesterol is either caused by poor diet or genetic predisposition. When you say your cholesterol is high, what does that mean exactly? What are the numbers - your HDL, LDL, triglycerides? What's your ratio?

The whole idea of a detox is just an unhealthy fad. Your body works to continuously rid itself of toxins. You don't need to fast or "do a cleanse" for that.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I don't know what "detoxinating" is, but it does not sound like fun.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm in...to learn more about the effectiveness of detoxifying the body through 2-day water cleanses. Let's start with what toxins we are clearing from our body that otherwise wouldn't have been cleared? Let's make it easy and just go with the name of even ONE toxin.

(I'm going to sleep now, but am eager to read all about it tomorrow when I wake.)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    1.DO NOT do that. That will be horrible for your body.

2. What I do: Every morning I start my day with a cup of hot water and lemon. I also do a "Detox" Yoga session every morning. It aids your digestion as well. It is just 20 minutes but it is full of twists and inversions which help rinse out your organs.

3.And seek some advice from your doctor. He may have some natural cleansing tips for you as well. A water fast will not be healthy for you in the long run!

Good advise on 1 and 3, but HOW does one "rise out your organs "?????:sad: :huh:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    is your friends name Dr oz by chance...

You really should not do this. if you want to lower cholesterol than healthier, work out more, and eat in a calorie deficit to lose weight...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

2. What I do: Every morning I start my day with a cup of hot water and lemon. I also do a "Detox" Yoga session every morning. It aids your digestion as well. It is just 20 minutes but it is full of twists and inversions which help rinse out your organs.

3.And seek some advice from your doctor. He may have some natural cleansing tips for you as well. A water fast will not be healthy for you in the long run!

Good advise on 1 and 3, but HOW does one "rise out your organs "?????:sad: :huh:

you have never rinsed your own organs? You take a scalpel and cut yourself open..you then proceed to take your organs and put them in washing machine which you put on "gentle" cycle...once washed you dry them and put them back in you = organ rinsing
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I know this answer gets annoying, but if you have high cholesterol and want to try dietary remedies before medicine, ask your doctor how to proceed and good luck!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I put them in the dishwasher, personally.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    No
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming your doc ran labs to determine you had high cholesterol? Sooooooo.....if detoxing your liver was something that was possible and would work, why didn't your doc tell you to take two water fasts and call him in the morning?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming your doc ran labs to determine you had high cholesterol? Sooooooo.....if detoxing your liver was something that was possible and would work, why didn't your doc tell you to take two water fasts and call him in the morning?

Seriously my favourite poster ever.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Um, look at the posts. The OP was asking if 2 day water fasts detox the liver and help with cholesterol (along with other benefits) and your response was "It works. Scientific documentary below that explains why.
    http://documentaryheaven.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer/"
    And no, I didn't watch the "documentary" nor will I.

Really just wanted to be in.

I know what she was asking and I know what she is referring too, which is why I posted the documentary to clear things up. She's obviously referring to Dr. Michael Mosley's 5:2 diet and used the forbidden word "detox" to describe it. Big deal, she said "DETOX". No reason to act like hell froze over just because she said "Detox".
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Seriously?

Okay, I'm in...to learn more about the effectiveness of DETOXIFYING the body through 2-day water cleanses. Let's start with what toxins we are clearing from our body that otherwise wouldn't have been cleared? Let's make it easy and just go with the name of even ONE toxin.

(I'm going to sleep now, but am eager to read all about it tomorrow when I wake.)

You messed up there. It was DETOXINATING. I would also love to find out how one detoxinates the body.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Um, look at the posts. The OP was asking if 2 day water fasts detox the liver and help with cholesterol (along with other benefits) and your response was "It works. Scientific documentary below that explains why.
    http://documentaryheaven.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer/"
    And no, I didn't watch the "documentary" nor will I.

Really just wanted to be in.

I know what she was asking and I know what she is referring too, which is why I posted the documentary to clear things up. She's obviously referring to Dr. Michael Mosley's 5:2 diet and used the forbidden word "detox" to describe it. Big deal, she said "DETOX". No reason to act like hell froze over just because she said "Detox".

:huh:
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Your body detoxes naturally through the organs of elimination: skin, lungs, small and large intestines, liver and kidneys (check it out - these are also common sites for cancer). Unfortunately these organs are highly overworked due to the incredible levels of toxins we expose them to on a daily basis.

I've never done a water fast, but I have limited my diet to raw foods. I believe organic raw foods to be the best solution if you want to help your body to eliminate toxins (by limiting the ones you introduce into your system so they have a chance to deal with the backlog). While a water fast will not help you to lose weight in a sustainable way, incorporating raw foods into your diet on a permanent basis will not only help you keep weight from creeping up but is a natural way to help lower your bad cholesterol.

Good luck.
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    To rinse out your liver, eat a bar of Ivory soap. That's 158 grams of fat and a little sodium but I can't find the calorie count. Anyone know? Oh, and drink a whole lot of water. And eat a sea sponge for protein.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Your body detoxes naturally through the organs of elimination: skin, lungs, small and large intestines, liver and kidneys (check it out - these are also common sites for cancer). Unfortunately these organs are highly overworked due to the incredible levels of toxins we expose them to on a daily basis.

I've never done a water fast, but I have limited my diet to raw foods. I believe organic raw foods to be the best solution if you want to help your body to eliminate toxins (by limiting the ones you introduce into your system so they have a chance to deal with the backlog). While a water fast will not help you to lose weight in a sustainable way, incorporating raw foods into your diet on a permanent basis will not only help you keep weight from creeping up but is a natural way to help lower your bad cholesterol.

Good luck.

What toxins am I eating and introducing into my system?? I'd just like to avoid getting them in the first place.