Detoxinating the liver?

Options

Replies

• spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Your friend is making stuff up.

If you tried to do this I bet your eating routine would become very messed up.

How about just trying to drink insane amounts of water for 2 weeks along with reasonably healthy food?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't know what "detoxinating" is, but it does not sound like fun.
    tumblr_mgt2pw1ty91qc8xtpo1_500.jpg

that's right. you show those toxins.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxSoEpuUpK7YbLXsjK5Rcx-U3gMuICh7IA38KcyEtQ7mUXZ-Tgfg

Seems legit.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    whiskey works.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Detox.. totally unnecessary. The liver itself is our bodies detox system.

Generally when people say "detox the liver" they actually mean give the liver a break by not giving it so much crap to process.

I think I"m going to detox my lungs.. they seem to be tired of breathing for me.. they have been doing it for 28 years now.. oh wait, it's their JOB!!! Livers don't need days off anymore than a heart or a lung. This is totally ridiculous.

If you want to ease the workload of the liver eat less crap. You don't need to "fast"

Conspiracy rants aside .. ^this. As a former really heavy drinker (in both of the ways you could interpret that), combined with blood iron that was waaaaay too high, my liver was a complete mess. Fatty, Swolen, painfully sensitive .. My Primary Care Doctor, Endocrinologist, and Dean Wormer were pretty much in agreement: Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life.

almost 80 lbs, regular exercise, and irregular drinking, and the labs I just got back say I'm normal.

Well that my liver is doing its thing "within normal tolerances".
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxSoEpuUpK7YbLXsjK5Rcx-U3gMuICh7IA38KcyEtQ7mUXZ-Tgfg
  • Jonesie1984
    Options

Generally when people say "detox the liver" they actually mean give the liver a break by not giving it so much crap to process.

I think I"m going to detox my lungs.. they seem to be tired of breathing for me.. they have been doing it for 28 years now.. oh wait, it's their JOB!!! Livers don't need days off anymore than a heart or a lung. This is totally ridiculous.

If you want to ease the workload of the liver eat less crap. You don't need to "fast"

Conspiracy rants aside .. ^this. As a former really heavy drinker (in both of the ways you could interpret that), combined with blood iron that was waaaaay too high, my liver was a complete mess. Fatty, Swolen, painfully sensitive .. My Primary Care Doctor, Endocrinologist, and Dean Wormer were pretty much in agreement: Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life.

almost 80 lbs, regular exercise, and irregular drinking, and the labs I just got back say I'm normal.

Liver was fatty because you weighed more.. losing 10 lbs dramatically reduced the amount of fat encapsulating the liver.. kinda know it.. tell my patients it all the time. It has nothing to do with cleansing but losing weight and the body choosing to metabolize it off the liver first.. that's physiology for ya.

http://www.liverdoctor.com/liver/fatty-liver

they actually discourage people from "fad" diets.. recommendation.. gradual reduction of body weight ..

Now liver abuse by excessive drinking (of alcohol) can be reduced by drinking less or no alcohol but it has nothing to do with fasting 1-2 days a week.. what you did was actively put less harmful toxins through the bodies system not detox it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Detoxing the liver is like washing the soap.

thread winner.

2620898362_bf17f21e77.jpg

ETA: I just suddenly got the strange urge to go wash all my sink soaps. Wha?:noway: :huh:
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    MY DH had bad cholesterol. He was skinny and he was not eating badly. So it was more likely to be genetic.

And still, he managed to bring it down by over 100 points!

How? By tracking his saturated fat (no more than 12 grams per day EVERY day) and running hard for minimum half hour 3-4 times a week (EVERY week) for years.

It takes hard work to bring down cholesterol when you are already skinny and not eat badly. But it can still be done.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I might totally be out of my mind here to even suggest such changes but....

cut *kitten*/junk && foods HIGH in cholesterol out of your diet (make it a lifestyle NOT fad diet)

drink PLENTY of water and cut out any alcohol (just saying)

Eat food LOW in cholesterol and/or that could help reduce your cholesterol

AND work out !!

(obvs not a genius but hey-ho biology student alert!)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    MY DH had bad cholesterol. He was skinny and he was not eating badly. So it was more likely to be genetic.

How? By tracking his saturated fat (no more than 12 grams per day EVERY day) and running hard for minimum half hour 3-4 times a week (EVERY week) for years.

It takes hard work to bring down cholesterol when you are already skinny and not eat badly. But it can still be done.

I bolded the part that actually brought his cholesterol down, btw. Probably had zero to do with his saturated fat intake and everything to do with lack of exercise.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

cut *kitten*/junk && foods HIGH in cholesterol out of your diet (make it a lifestyle NOT fad diet)

AND work out !!

Not really.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

AND work out !!

Dietary cholesterol != blood cholesterol.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    What's a DH, anyway? Do women have designated hitters now?
  • sullus
    Options

Liver was fatty because you weighed more.. losing 10 lbs dramatically reduced the amount of fat encapsulating the liver.. kinda know it.. tell my patients it all the time. It has nothing to do with cleansing but losing weight and the body choosing to metabolize it off the liver first.. that's physiology for ya.

they actually discourage people from "fad" diets.. recommendation.. gradual reduction of body weight ..

Now liver abuse by excessive drinking (of alcohol) can be reduced by drinking less or no alcohol but it has nothing to do with fasting 1-2 days a week.. what you did was actively put less harmful toxins through the bodies system not detox it.

The Iron was a serious contributor to the liver tests being off as well. And the drinking. And the fat.

God I miss fried clams.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options

I bolded the part that actually brought his cholesterol down, btw. Probably had zero to do with his saturated fat intake and everything to do with lack of exercise.

He was not inactive before and has been running always, just not as religiously. And btw, they still don't know if this is more influenced by diet or by exercise. DH reads all the scientific articles on the subject and there is no firm conclusion.
  • jonnythan
    Options

The Iron was a serious contributor to the liver tests being off as well. And the drinking. And the fat.

God I miss fried clams.

You should eat some.
  • jonnythan
    Options

He was not inactive before and has been running always, just not as religiously. And btw, they still don't know if this is more influenced by diet or by exercise. DH reads all the scientific articles on the subject and there is no firm conclusion.

The world of medicine moves slowly, especially when moving away from former bedrock principles.

However, it's becoming more and more clear that dietary fat and cholesterol have very little impact on serum cholesterol levels, especially as compared to lifestyle.
  • sullus
    Options

God I miss fried clams.

You should eat some.

The clams are an Iron thing, not a fat thing. Not an area I prefer to push.
  • Jonesie1984
    Options

God I miss fried clams.

And you are missing out.. but it sounds like you made healthy changes and they resulted in better health. Doesn't sound like a cleanse though which is very reasonable.

** just saw the part about the iron.. now that you're normal you could probably go back to eating them in moderation since you have reduced the other factors.. of course, something to chat with a doc about but every now in then prob wont kill ya.