What's the deal with whole eggs?

Options

Replies

• Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I was also wondering about that. On my 2 days of my 5:2 diet I put 6 boiled egg whites in the fridge with vinagar,s&p and use them as snacks.

Good idea! Im going to try this!!!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The only reason to have egg-whites instead of whole-eggs is reducing total calories and/or having a higher protein-to-calorie ratio. (Those with a history of Cholecystitis - gall bladder inflammation - might have whites instead of whole eggs as it reduces fat, and dietary fat does impact gall-bladder inflammation.)

As for cholesterol - all the research indicates that dietary cholesterol does not affect serum cholesterol, either the overall number or the HDL:LDL ratio.

Egg yolk contains considerably more nutrient than egg white, as well as being tastier (well, that's subjective) - so if you've no reason to further restrict the calories or fat, then by all means enjoy the whole egg.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    The vitamins and benefits of eating an egg are in the yolk.
    Vitamin D, B6, B12, riboflavin, floate and choline.

It's recommended to not go over 300 mg of cholesterol per day(if you don't have heart disease or diabetes), and a large egg only has 185.

Eat.those.yolks!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    If eggs are part of your meal, you should always include at least 1 whole egg. The nutrients in the yolk are completely worth it. Supplement protein with egg whites, but otherwise eat a yolk now and then.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    This question intreged me as I have heard both good and bad with whole eggs. What I have found out is that the yolk contains most of the nutrients in the egg. They were put on the "bad" list many years ago because they also contain high amounts of cholesterol but further studies have shown that eating foods high in cholesterol has little affect on your cholesterol levels. There are many benefits to eating the yolks--in moderation. They contain many trace minerals, vitamins, and antioxidents. From what I can find out one whole egg a day has no bad affects. Personally, I find egg whites alone to be rather tasteless.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I eat them all. Have 2 most days. Done me now hard weight loss or cholesterol wise. :-)
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a critical issue with cholesterol, eat the whole egg. Fat is not your enemy. it is a high-quality source of energy that will make you feel satisfied more than egg whites, and will increase the bioavailability of plant-based nutrients.. One large egg is 70 calories, with 5 grams of fat. Plan accordingly, and enjoy.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Unless your doctor has told you to limit how many whole eggs you eat I would eat the whole thing.

The yolk is where most of the flavour is as well as a lot of nutrients.

For those of you who cook the eggs but don't use the yolk... get some of those Eggie things (or something plastic.glass that you can boil) and put the whites in them to boil them. Take the uncooked yolk and freeze them (one yolk per ice cube section in a tray) ... keep them in the freezer until you come across a recipe that needs just egg yolks. Saves you from having to just throw them out.
  • maraq
    maraq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Body builders need to eat a very large quantity of protein so it's better that they need to stick to egg whites instead of the whole egg. There is too much cholesterol in an egg to be eating 10 of them a day, every day. Also, egg whites are easy to digest and have the least fat of animal protein so they are an optimal choice for someone looking to get very lean. For the average person, eating a few whole eggs a week is completely healthy. It's the quantity needed for body builders that makes the difference.
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    This question intreged me as I have heard both good and bad with whole eggs. What I have found out is that the yolk contains most of the nutrients in the egg. They were put on the "bad" list many years ago because they also contain high amounts of cholesterol but further studies have shown that eating foods high in cholesterol has little affect on your cholesterol levels. There are many benefits to eating the yolks--in moderation. They contain many trace minerals, vitamins, and antioxidents. From what I can find out one whole egg a day has no bad affects. Personally, I find egg whites alone to be rather tasteless.

Exactly, which is why I was so curious too. I've heard lots of good things about eggs lately including that most of the information about them & cholesterol was false & that's why I was wondering why so many people toss the yolks.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I read an article about a month ago that said recent studies show that the cholesterol in food does not affect the cholesterol in the body the way it was originally thought to. So there is no reason to not eat the yolk. The yolk contains more nutrients anyway. Eat the whole egg. Besides, unless you are actually having cholesterol issues, I wouldn't worry about it.

My best advice however is to talk to a nutritionist or doctor.
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Body builders need to eat a very large quantity of protein so it's better that they need to stick to egg whites instead of the whole egg. There is too much cholesterol in an egg to be eating 10 of them a day, every day. Also, egg whites are easy to digest and have the least fat of animal protein so they are an optimal choice for someone looking to get very lean. For the average person, eating a few whole eggs a week is completely healthy. It's the quantity needed for body builders that makes the difference.

This explains a lot & makes complete sense. Thank you :smile:
  • ranchmimi
    ranchmimi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have found that by cutting some of my fat (after years of a no fat diet) by replacing an egg or 2 with 'Real Egg" from HEB, that I can jump start my losing when I hit a plateau. Thank goodness we are over the low fat diets (even my doctor finally agrees!) because they did not work! By using the Real Egg I don't have to waste the yolks - and I still eat several of them a week!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I read an article about a month ago that said recent studies show that the cholesterol in food does not affect the cholesterol in the body the way it was originally thought to. So there is no reason to not eat the yolk. The yolk contains more nutrients anyway. Eat the whole egg. Besides, unless you are actually having cholesterol issues, I wouldn't worry about it.

My best advice however is to talk to a nutritionist or doctor.
    The studies aren't so recent, they've been around for decades, it just more mainstream now.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Exactly, which is why I was so curious too. I've heard lots of good things about eggs lately including that most of the information about them & cholesterol was false & that's why I was wondering why so many people toss the yolks.

I think most of what you've been hearing is a change around the way dietary cholesterol is viewed. I gather there's been new research that dietary cholesterol has little or no effect on blood lipids. I haven't read this research, but I've heard about it in passing.

That might be why a) lots of people are now advocating whole eggs and b) many people are still afraid of eating the whole egg.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    The studies aren't so recent, they've been around for decades, it just more mainstream now.
    And yet we still have many people that firmly believe that eating an egg yolk will raise your cholesterol levels.

The yolk is tasty, eat it.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    It's a calorie thing, less cals in just whites

Sometimes I want more volume without adding a lot more calories so I use just the whites. 1 whole egg + 3 egg whites is the perfect ratio for scrambled eggs for me. With hard boiled eggs sometimes I eat the yolk, sometimes just the whites. It really depends on where I am at with my calories.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    And yet we still have many people that firmly believe that eating an egg yolk will raise your cholesterol levels.

The yolk is tasty, eat it.

Well, we have the US gov't telling people to limit dietary cholesterol, so what does that tell you?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I eat about 24 eggs/week, Whole. I don't like egg whites, they're my least favorite part of the entire egg. If I could JUST eat runny yolks, I would hehehe I guess it depends on your calorie and macros. My macros are 10%carb/25%protein/65%fat so I can afford to have the whole egg for MY macros. If it fits in your budget for the day, and it's a real food I say enjoy! (and that's my professional opinion :p)
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg---the healthiest kind I can buy.
    But I only eat a few eggs a week.