Keep the Clothes or Ditch the Clothes?

Options
1235»

Replies

• metermaid11
    metermaid11 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I will probably hang on to most of my shirts since we are planning on having another baby- that way I won't have to buy maternity clothes :)

But after that, yes. Getting rid of everything except one pair of my largest size pants, just to see how far I have come.
  • jessywillis
    Options
    I bagged up about 10 bags of too-small clothes to donate to Goodwill and they ended up sitting in my basement for about 2 months. In that time I lost a little more weight, and when I went shopping at Goodwill, I saw some and wish I had kept them.

As far as bigger size clothes, I put a lot in a bin in the basement for if I go back up in size, get pregnant again, or can maybe give to a friend.

I also have a bit of a clothing hoarding problem. I didn't have a lot growing up so have hoarded clothes since childhood! Yes.. that is a post for another day!
  • LeslieC1970
    LeslieC1970 Posts: 160
    Options
    From my past experience I recommend that you donate them or put some on consignment. Keeping larger sizes in the past only enabled me to put back on the weight again. I am back at this again and I am donating clothes as soon as I am out of them.
  • kaubin97
    kaubin97 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    ^Same as above, I donated all of mine as soon as they were too big on me. I'll never wear them again. BUT- keep one pair! At your biggest size. You'll want it when you reach goal :)
    ^^^ This. I went thru my closet and filled 3 garbage bags full for donation of clothes that are too big & I will NEVER fit into again :) However at my largest I wore a size 16 pants, I took a pic not that long ago (see my profile) of my size 16s next to my new size 10. Well I'm now down to a size 6 and I wish I still had those size 16s to take a new picture of from 16 to 10 to 6! Oh well, I'm just happy I made it.
    congrats to you on need new smaller sizes :)
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Good Morning MFP! I am trying to figure out what to do. I am starting to notice a HUGE difference in the clothes that I have in my closet. I am starting to buy smaller sizes in a few things, but as I out grow my clothes I am torn by do I keep them or do I get rid of them? What have others done?

I asked my cousin this very question on our run last night, and her answer was "Be Proud and GET RID of THEM!"
    It makes me nervous but then again I want the success of not thinking backwards. Please Help! What do you think?

I would get rid of them. You can donate them to a thrift store, sell them at a yard sale/Craigslist, or give them to a friend who may need some new to them clothes.

If you want you could always keep a few clothing items & slip them on every now and then to show how far you've come in your weight loss journey.
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for being so helpful in answering my question! I have cleared out the closet, the clothes I have out grown are all in a yard sale for this weekend. Whatever does not sale will be donated to a local thrift store. I have purchased a few new items to replace a few that have left, but refuse to buy to many in hopes of being down another size soon. I started this adventure in January wearing a tight US 18 pant, 1x-2x shirt depending on maker. I have replaced items with a US 14 pant and L shirt. YAY!!

Thanks Again everyone!! You are all awesome and all very helpful!
  • elizabethmchenry9
    elizabethmchenry9 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them!!! It will keep you motivated to stay at your new lovely size :-) I keep one or two things so I can judge how far I've come, but I am in the process of getting rid of the rest
  • TiaFerrera
    Options
    I'm pretty handy with a needle and thread :D There's thousands of projects on Pintrest for repurposing. I never did wear t-shirts but when I get those freebie ones I turn them into reusable shopping bags, and a lot of tops can have the hem brought in. I like bigger shirts for that because you can get that cute tight-waisted, loose arms look.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I get rid of everything AS SOON AS they get even slightly big. No way back for me this time!! I do keep one pair of jeans, because I want to wear them and take a picture when I hit goal :)
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine who has been though all of this already and kept her weight off for 4 years so far, gave me some really great advice. She said that as you buy smaller clothes, throw the old ones away. Her reasoning was that if you keep the larger clothes, when you reach your goal weight and if you begin to put on weight it is way too easy to just take a larger size out of the cupboard and wear those. If you dont have them you cant do that and it means that you become more aware if you do start putting weight back on.

She also said that it's a good idea to keep ONE pair of jeans and shirt from when you first started so that you can always remember how far you have come.