bagels2.jpg
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Where in the heck are the bagels!?

Best. Carb. Ever.

I haven't had one in... days!! :'(

go back one page.

i love cinnamon raisin bagels. right out of the bag, not toasted.

I'm more of an asiago/plain/seeded bagel fan myself. But they are all good!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Best. Carb. Ever.

go back one page.

I just bought a load as they were reduced sliced them and froze them. I love them with cream cheese :love:
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    48kr9tv

Macaroni cheese inside a pie crust. I just wanted to show you that.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    YUM! My mouth is watering looking at the delicious pictures and just as a co-worker sent an email that the Krispy Kreme donut fairy arrived at work this morning. :devil: :devil: :devil:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

Best. Carb. Ever.

go back one page.

Thomas' "Everything" Bagels with melted Velveeta is 9.8 out of 10. it'd be higher if not for the Russian judge.

ETA: not exactly this, but this gives you the idea...

IMG00115-20100929-1802.jpg
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

"...But I still have to wonder - why do you even come in a thread that you know is going to be about something you so strongly disagree with?..."

I don't "strongly disagree" with the statement that OP likes carbohydrates. I'm happy for him/her. What I would disagree with is the defiant attitude---there is no reason to take that approach with other people (such as Type II diabetics, for example) who must control the carbohydrates that they eat.

So, because a small percentage of people using this site have a medical condition, that means that the rest of us must walk on eggshells and never discuss the things we enjoy? We should also stop advising other people who could benefit from carbs to go ahead and eat and enjoy them?

I'm sorry, but no. The people who have medical conditions are responsible for themselves and their own care and diet. I am not going to change my viewpoints and topics of discussion based off the fact that they need a different diet.

And I have yet to see anyone say that people who have medical conditions SHOULD eat whatever the heck they want. Usually, they are advised to seek the advice of their doctor and/or a dietician (and if you read my posting history, you will see numerous times where I have stated those exact words).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Best. Carb. Ever.

go back one page.

Asiago bagels. :love: It's one of my most used foods.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

"...But I still have to wonder - why do you even come in a thread that you know is going to be about something you so strongly disagree with?..."

I don't "strongly disagree" with the statement that OP likes carbohydrates. I'm happy for him/her. What I would disagree with is the defiant attitude---there is no reason to take that approach with other people (such as Type II diabetics, for example) who must control the carbohydrates that they eat.

So, because a small percentage of people using this site have a medical condition, that means that the rest of us must walk on eggshells and never discuss the things we enjoy? We should also stop advising other people who could benefit from carbs to go ahead and eat and enjoy them?

I'm sorry, but no. The people who have medical conditions are responsible for themselves and their own care and diet. I am not going to change my viewpoints and topics of discussion based off the fact that they need a different diet.

And I have yet to see anyone say that people who have medical conditions SHOULD eat whatever the heck they want. Usually, they are advised to seek the advice of their doctor and/or a dietician (and if you read my posting history, you will see numerous times where I have stated those exact words).

yep.

Those with medical conditions/intolerances only need to look at the title, and think - Carbs, nah, not for me thanks.

I'm sure they are all adults and don't need other people wading in, fighting their battles and waving their flag for them.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lfainkYGzg1qgvpo5o1_500.jpg

frenchoniondip1.jpg

tumblr_lkpf3acMog1qflpc1o1_500.jpg
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I love how 90% of the pics posted are also really fatty foods.

That's why people are afraid of carbs but in reality a starch-based diet isn't going to make you fat or give you diabetes.

For some people, starch based diets will make them fat and lead to health problems.. in excess of course. Some are more sensitive than others
    Yeah, man, just look at all the Asian cultures who get huge on starch.

But their traditional diet is very low in sugar. Sugar and starch together is lardifying. If you are putting out 5,000 calories a day in workouts, you can probably eat most anything you want. But, for those of us who are not Herculean, we have to watch our sugar and total carbs along with our other macros.

Starches eventually turn into gluscose, just as sucrose turns into glucose.

Of course, but when it is taken with protein, fiber and fat (rather than sugar) the protein, fiber and fat mitigate the high glycemic affect of the starch. Not rocket science.

If it's just taken with protein, larger insulin spike than if you ate either by themselves!

You seem to ask a lot of people for evidence of their claims, yet you provide none. Can you provide 3-5 scientific articles to substantiate your claim? Because I have read the exact opposite of what you've said. I'd love to learn something new.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I love how 90% of the pics posted are also really fatty foods.

That's why people are afraid of carbs but in reality a starch-based diet isn't going to make you fat or give you diabetes.

For some people, starch based diets will make them fat and lead to health problems.. in excess of course. Some are more sensitive than others
    Yeah, man, just look at all the Asian cultures who get huge on starch.

But their traditional diet is very low in sugar. Sugar and starch together is lardifying. If you are putting out 5,000 calories a day in workouts, you can probably eat most anything you want. But, for those of us who are not Herculean, we have to watch our sugar and total carbs along with our other macros.

Starches eventually turn into gluscose, just as sucrose turns into glucose.

Of course, but when it is taken with protein, fiber and fat (rather than sugar) the protein, fiber and fat mitigate the high glycemic affect of the starch. Not rocket science.

If it's just taken with protein, larger insulin spike than if you ate either by themselves!

You seem to ask a lot of people for evidence of their claims, yet you provide none. Can you provide 3-5 scientific articles to substantiate your claim? Because I have read the exact opposite of what you've said. I'd love to learn something new.

F2.medium.gif
    http://www.jappl.org/content/91/2/839.full

F4.medium.gif

http://jap.physiology.org/content/93/4/1337/F4.expansion.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9694422

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3054432
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    From--Muscle and Strength.com

"...If you want to optimize your diet for muscle gain and fat loss it’s important to know how to integrate carbohydrates into your diet. There’s nothing complex about it, you just have to follow a few simple rules.

TO MINIMIZE FAT STORAGE FOLLOW THESE RULES

1) Eat complex carbohydrates [Sorry guys, cake and candy a bad idea]. :cry:

2) Eat carbohydrates directly after training

3) Eat small amounts of carbohydrates more often

"...Eating smaller servings of carbohydrates more often helps keep a steady flow of insulin into the body. If you eat large amounts of carbohydrates in one sitting your body is much more likely to store them as fat. Eating too much in one sitting is unnecessary; your body doesn’t need that much...at one time..." [Tsk-tsk-tsk. No more hog-a-thons :bigsmile: ]

4) Eat high fiber carbohydrates [Should we get them to make high fiber Pop-Tarts?]

"...This goes hand-in-hand with point number 1 because most sources of complex carbohydrates are rich sources of fiber. Fiber helps to build muscle by making muscle tissue absorb amino acids faster and more efficiently..."

5) Avoid fruits

"...This may sound insane because we all know that fruit is high in vitamins, low in calories and very good for general health and well-being. But, fruit contains fructose which is a very simple sugar. The body converts fructose into glycogen which is used as a building block for fat tissue..." [And the amount of sugar in fruit is quite small compared to a Pop-Tart]

6) Have carbohydrates and protein in the same meal

"...When you mix protein and carbohydrates together in the same meal you minimize the chance of the carbohydrates being stored as fat. Protein is harder for the body to process, so it increases your metabolism. Also, carbohydrates help transport the nutrients from protein to the muscle cells which aids in muscle growth.

"Follow these rules, and you can use carbohydrates to your advantage to build more muscle faster. If you find you’re gaining too much fat then you should cut out carbs after 7pm. Unless you have a fast metabolism, eating carbs late at night is generally not a good idea. Your body does not need the energy while you’re sleeping so it’s likely to store the carbs as fat...."

[Kind of leaves out feasting on chocolate chip cookies in the middle of the night, doesn't it?] :wink:

...Another point worth mentioning here is meal sizes. Like I stated in point 3, you should eat small meals more often. Have you ever felt really tired after eating? Then you’ve eaten too much. Your body has to use a lot of energy to process the food which leaves you feeling tired and energy-less. This style of eating will also decrease your metabolic rate. To keep your metabolism high you need to constantly stimulate it with small meals every 3 hours or so..." [I've read that to maximize fat loss, no meal should be larger than 500 calories.]

"...So the main points you need to remember here are; eat good complex carbohydrates, eat small amounts more often, always have a good serving of complex carbohydrates about 1 hour before your workout (for energy) and straight after your meal (for insulin spike) and if you are gaining excess fat stop eating carbohydrates after 7pm..."

You can read the rest of the article here: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/carbohydrates-and-bodybuilding.html

You're welcome. :smile:
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Ha! Love them but make sure you balance out your macros too.
  • Acg67
    Options

"...If you want to optimize your diet for muscle gain and fat loss it’s important to know how to integrate carbohydrates into your diet. There’s nothing complex about it, you just have to follow a few simple rules.

"...Eating smaller servings of carbohydrates more often helps keep a steady flow of insulin into the body. If you eat large amounts of carbohydrates in one sitting your body is much more likely to store them as fat. Eating too much in one sitting is unnecessary; your body doesn’t need that much...at one time..." [Tsk-tsk-tsk. No more hog-a-thons :bigsmile: ]

4) Eat high fiber carbohydrates [Should we get them to make high fiber Pop-Tarts?]

"...This goes hand-in-hand with point number 1 because most sources of complex carbohydrates are rich sources of fiber. Fiber helps to build muscle by making muscle tissue absorb amino acids faster and more efficiently..."

5) Avoid fruits

"...This may sound insane because we all know that fruit is high in vitamins, low in calories and very good for general health and well-being. But, fruit contains fructose which is a very simple sugar. The body converts fructose into glycogen which is used as a building block for fat tissue..."

"...When you mix protein and carbohydrates together in the same meal you minimize the chance of the carbohydrates being stored as fat. Protein is harder for the body to process, so it increases your metabolism. Also, carbohydrates help transport the nutrients from protein to the muscle cells which aids in muscle growth.

"Follow these rules, and you can use carbohydrates to your advantage to build more muscle faster. If you find you’re gaining too much fat then you should cut out carbs after 7pm. Unless you have a fast metabolism, eating carbs late at night is generally not a good idea. Your body does not need the energy while you’re sleeping so it’s likely to store the carbs as fat...."

[Kind of leaves out feasting on chocolate chip cookies in the middle of the night, doesn't it?] :wink:

...Another point worth mentioning here is meal sizes. Like I stated in point 3, you should eat small meals more often. Have you ever felt really tired after eating? Then you’ve eaten too much. Your body has to use a lot of energy to process the food which leaves you feeling tired and energy-less. This style of eating will also decrease your metabolic rate. To keep your metabolism high you need to constantly stimulate it with small meals every 3 hours or so..." [I've read that to maximize fat loss, no meal should be larger than 500 calories.]

"...So the main points you need to remember here are; eat good complex carbohydrates, eat small amounts more often, always have a good serving of complex carbohydrates about 1 hour before your workout (for energy) and straight after your meal (for insulin spike) and if you are gaining excess fat stop eating carbohydrates after 7pm..."

You can read the rest of the article here: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/carbohydrates-and-bodybuilding.html

That wasn't a very good article
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

5) Avoid fruits

"...This may sound insane because we all know that fruit is high in vitamins, low in calories and very good for general health and well-being. But, fruit contains fructose which is a very simple sugar. The body converts fructose into glycogen which is used as a building block for fat tissue..."

Because it doesn't agree with you? I don't see the point in blowing smoke when the forums were established to help inform and support people who are struggling to lose body fat and make their lives better.
  • Acg67
    Options

5) Avoid fruits

Because it doesn't agree with you?

No, because all of it is easily debunked as abject nonsense
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

5) Avoid fruits

Would you like to show us how? :smile:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    For crying out loud Mulberry! We get it! You hate sugar and processed carbs. You've have had your say now go away and leave us alone to enjoy our carb threads in peace.

It isn't all about you... so do jog on.
  • Acg67
    Options

5) Avoid fruits

Would you like to show us how? :smile:

Let's start with the 7pm thing, do you think there would be a noticeable difference between people who ate the exact same amount and types of cho, but one finished eating it all at 6:59pm and the other at 7:01?

Then look up DNL in humans and see how common that is

Then look up fuel partitioning between low gi and high GI carbs