I like carbohydrates...

Options

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I have one question for those of you who seem to be promoting carb-stuffing: How is this helping anyone? Yeah--I get that some of you do the PopTart-ice cream thing in order to say "Ha-ha, I can eat anything I want and have no problem with body fat-gain!" but that bit of sangfroid may lead obese folk (especially obese women) to think that they can eat sugary junk food and still lose weight. I ask again, how is that helping anyone--especially those who are "food addicted"? Do you also try to tempt recovering alcoholics with pictures of booze? It doesn't faze me, because I have been off of sugar and starch for a long time (about three years) but, at one time, it might have. We are supposed to be here to encourage others to stay on their programs. Perhaps it would be good to think about those who are struggling with temptation.

If you have been off sugar and carbs for 3 years, why would you even pop into a post labelled plainly, "I like carbohydrates..."? or a thread that is about Pop Tarts and Ice Cream and clearly labeled as such? It's not like someone was doing any sort of bait and switch with the title...like..."I like meat on a stick" and then show pictures of pizza and cake.

If you're an alcoholic, would you walk into a bar if you couldn't handle it?

Also, I'm here for counting calories, I just happen to get support from my friends list, almost all (if not all) eat carbs with no problems at all.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I have one question for those of you who seem to be promoting carb-stuffing: How is this helping anyone? Yeah--I get that some of you do the PopTart-ice cream thing in order to say "Ha-ha, I can eat anything I want and have no problem with body fat-gain!" but that bit of sangfroid may lead obese folk (especially obese women) to think that they can eat sugary junk food and still lose weight. I ask again, how is that helping anyone--especially those who are "food addicted"? Do you also try to tempt recovering alcoholics with pictures of booze? It doesn't faze me, because I have been off of sugar and starch for a long time (about three years) but, at one time, it might have. We are supposed to be here to encourage others to stay on their programs. Perhaps it would be good to think about those who are struggling with temptation.

If you have been off sugar and carbs for 3 years, why would you even pop into a post labelled plainly, "I like carbohydrates..."? or a thread that is about Pop Tarts and Ice Cream and clearly labeled as such? It's not like someone was doing any sort of bait and switch with the title...like..."I like meat on a stick" and then show pictures of pizza and cake.

If you're an alcoholic, would you walk into a bar if you couldn't handle it?

Also, I'm here for counting calories, I just happen to get support from my friends list, almost all (if not all) eat carbs with no problems at all.

This, and also, it's Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games, not Motivation and Support.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

I have a question for you. Who stole your sense of humor? Let us know - we'll track it down for you.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

This is not over eaters anonomous - this is my fitness pal and we are all here for different reasons. We can post about pizza and pop tarts - feel free not to come into these threads - this one had a warning over the door for people tempted by carbs. :noway:

PS you CAN eat sugary food and lose weight if it fits in your calories.

^This, just this.
  • livelaughlovecrazy
    livelaughlovecrazy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Uggh..I LOOOVE carbs...but I started on the low-carb diet and it's actually showing results.

I know cutting the carbs the really the only thing that works for me to loose weight. I miss my pasta and bread so much!!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

butterscotch krimpets... making people happy since 1927!

you should try one. or not. suit yourself.

tumblr_m1ogwvWxWq1qzmmj3.jpg

serving size: 1 pack

240 calories, 7g fat, 40g carbohydrates, 3g protein.

anybody can fit that into their diet if they want to.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I love how 90% of the pics posted are also really fatty foods.

That's why people are afraid of carbs but in reality a starch-based diet isn't going to make you fat or give you diabetes.

For some people, starch based diets will make them fat and lead to health problems.. in excess of course. Some are more sensitive than others
    Yeah, man, just look at all the Asian cultures who get huge on starch.

But their traditional diet is very low in sugar. Sugar and starch together is lardifying. If you are putting out 5,000 calories a day in workouts, you can probably eat most anything you want. But, for those of us who are not Herculean, we have to watch our sugar and total carbs along with our other macros.

Starches eventually turn into gluscose, just as sucrose turns into glucose.

Of course, but when it is taken with protein, fiber and fat (rather than sugar) the protein, fiber and fat mitigate the high glycemic affect of the starch. Not rocket science.

If it's just taken with protein, larger insulin spike than if you ate either by themselves!

So? The discussion was Asian diets. They eat a lot of vegetables and they fry a lot of their food.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

1.) What more nourishing food is being crowded out of the diet? 2.) Isn't getting "happiness" from food part of the problem?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I have a question for you. Who stole your sense of humor? Let us know - we'll track it down for you.

My sense of humor is quite intact, thank you. I just don't happen to find this particularly amusing. I don't find self-flagellation amusing either.
  • magerum
    Options
    I love how 90% of the pics posted are also really fatty foods.

That's why people are afraid of carbs but in reality a starch-based diet isn't going to make you fat or give you diabetes.

For some people, starch based diets will make them fat and lead to health problems.. in excess of course. Some are more sensitive than others
    Yeah, man, just look at all the Asian cultures who get huge on starch.

But their traditional diet is very low in sugar. Sugar and starch together is lardifying. If you are putting out 5,000 calories a day in workouts, you can probably eat most anything you want. But, for those of us who are not Herculean, we have to watch our sugar and total carbs along with our other macros.

Starches eventually turn into gluscose, just as sucrose turns into glucose.

Of course, but when it is taken with protein, fiber and fat (rather than sugar) the protein, fiber and fat mitigate the high glycemic affect of the starch. Not rocket science.

If it's just taken with protein, larger insulin spike than if you ate either by themselves!

So? The discussion was Asian diets. They eat a lot of vegetables and they fry a lot of their food.

He was directly pointing out the inaccuracy of your statement. That's the "So?".
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

1.) What more nourishing food is being crowded out of the diet? 2.) Isn't getting "happiness" from food part of the problem?

Seems like you could use a little happiness - feel free not to let the door hit you on your way out. This thread is clearly not for you. :noway:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

This is not over eaters anonomous - this is my fitness pal and we are all here for different reasons. We can post about pizza and pop tarts - feel free not to come into these threads - this one had a warning over the door for people tempted by carbs. :noway:

Yes, you can, but at the end of the day, this website is about losing body fat in a healthful and sustainable way. Eating sugar and starch contributes to being a citizen of Yo-Yo City. I have been a resident there and I chose to move to Healthy Town. :smile:
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    PizzaSteak_1_11.jpg

Look it even has broccoli :laugh:
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Yes, you can, but at the end of the day, this website is about losing body fat in a healthful and sustainable way. Eating sugar and starch contributes to being a citizen of Yo-Yo City. I have been a resident there and I chose to move to Healthy Town. :smile:

NO this website is call MyFITNESSpal, some people just use it for weight-loss and can they do it anyway they please. Cutting out sugar would make me yo-yo. Moderation is something that seems to have passed you by. :huh:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Seems like you could use a little happiness - feel free not to let the door hit you on your way out. This thread is clearly not for you. :noway:

I have a quite happy life, thank you for being concerned. :smile:
  • magerum
    Options

1) None, it's only 240 calories. Unless you have the dietary needs a short and very old person which would make them quite low I guess. The OP is a 45 year old male.

2) There's nothing wrong with pleasure from food. We all know you disagree about this one, but that begs the question of how you became over weight to begin with? Because you hated eating?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

NO this website is call MyFITNESSpal, some people just use it for weight-loss and can they do it anyway they please. Cutting out sugar would make me yo-yo. Moderation is something that seems to have passed you by. :huh:

I just don't buy the "moderation mantra". I have seen too many failures that come out of the insistence on "moderation". For some people, telling them to eat empty calories in moderation is like telling an alcoholic to drink "moderately".
  • magerum
    Options

I just don't buy the "moderation mantra". I have seen too many failures that come out of the insistence on "moderation". For some people, telling them to eat empty calories in moderation is like telling an alcoholic to drink "moderately".

A calorie is a unit of measurement and by definition can not be "empty".
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

1) None, it's only 240 calories. Unless you have the dietary needs a short and very old person which would make them quite low I guess. The OP is a 45 year old male.

2) There's nothing wrong with pleasure from food. We all know you disagree about this one, but that begs the question of how you became over weight to begin with? Because you hated eating?

To the contrary, I enjoy eating. I have never hated it and I don't now but I get even more pleasure from eating properly for my body's needs. In any case, we weren't discussing pleasure (we were discussing "happiness"). Many things yield pleasure. Receiving a smile from someone I love is a pleasure. Enjoying a sunny day is a pleasure. 2.) I think I answered this question sufficiently---of course there is nothing morally wrong about enjoying food. But pleasure is really not a good substitute for happiness. Happiness is loving others--and that has nothing to do with food.

I became overweight because I have a disease called arthritis. It only takes a tiny bit of overeating and a lot less movement to add up to a big weight gain over a number of years. It builds on itself.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

since when does the world have to live by your rules? if i want to eat pizza, i eat pizza. if i want to eat pop tarts, i eat pop tarts. if i want to eat candy, i eat candy. the question is how much and how often. i think you'd be a little happier if you allowed yourself an occasional indulgence. life is not supposed to be a struggle. enjoy as many minutes of it as you can.

there are many people on this site who have lost 100+ lbs and even one that i know of who has lost 300+ lbs while eating the occasional pop tart or cupcake or loaf of bread. they have all learned something that you have not... moderation can and does work. by the end of this month i'll be in that 100+ lbs "club" myself. i've never yo-yo'ed in my life. in fact, until i started losing this weight a little over a year ago, i never dieting a day in my life.

if you don't want to eat carbs (and we've all seen you jump into threads in the past telling everyone how awful carbs are), then don't eat them. it's your life. do what you want with it. just don't assume this thread was directed at you or even needed you to come in here and express your opinion. i'm sure there are low-carb groups on this site. i don't go in there telling them they are wrong. maybe there's a lesson in that for you.