Quarter Squat V.S Half Squat V.S ATG Squat

Options

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    i use the smith machine. i dont have enough upper body strength to use a free barbell :(

until this you really aren't squatting. I'm not disregarding your effort on the smith machine, it just isn't a real squat. There are no smith machine competitions, if you want to compete in the squat you need to squat.

what should i do to be able to carry a barbell?

This just smells all kinds of fishy.

You shouldn't be worrying about what type of squat to be doing if you can't even hold a barbell. And it seems to me that with the knowledge your claiming to have about lifting that you don't know what exercises to do to be able to stand with a barbell across your shoulders? I'm not trying to sound like a d*ck, I'm just trying to wrap my head around what's going on here.

If you're being serious, it really sounds like you have your priorities/goals all sorts of messed up.

Agreed.

OP, buy and read Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength, paying particular attention to the sections on form, and building a program. Then proceed to take over the heavy lifting world.

Best of luck.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

ETA: And no one is saying you can't squat 400 lbs. You can, but you're not going to do it in under a year. That takes years of training. And no, it won't set a world record. It won't even come close. The current state record in my state for the OP's age, gender, and weight is 427 pounds. The world record is likely a good deal higher than that.

Good to know. I didn't look up the world record, just remarked on someone else's post.
    I didn't even know it was you who said that!

Yea, years and years ago, that would have set a world record, but with the influx of female powerlifters, the record numbers are soaring.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Seriously, OP, I'm not trying to be mean here. But a squat is a squat BECAUSE you're supporting that kind of weight on your shoulders.

Eh? So front squats and goblet squats are what exactly?

The mechanics of a squat are determined by the positioning of the ankles and hips relative to each other so you can drive the load in a vertical plane. This is why the Smith Machine is less use that a free weight squat as the positioning is artificial.

And what about people with long femurs or short torsos? Limited hip flexion? Tight hamstrings?

Yes, I know there are other kinds of squats. But I was referencing a traditional squat, as the OP was implying that she was doing that type.

My issue is not with the body mechanics - it's with the claim that she is squatting 300lbs, but using the smith machine.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know there are other kinds of squats. But I was referencing a traditional squat, as the OP was implying that she was doing that type.

My issue is not with the body mechanics - it's with the claim that she is squatting 300lbs, but using the smith machine.

Ok gotcha.

So she's not back squatting at 300 but using the Smith? Still pretty impressive but it makes much of the discussion about mechanics redundant.

Personally I think the obsession with going ATG for the average trainee is overkill but that's my own opinion.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I need a video, until then
    shenanigans.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

b0215.gif

Entertaining thread of the day award!!!
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    I follow Jason Blaha's IceCreamFitness channel, according to him, smith machines should be avoided for squats as they are dangerous due to constraining barpath. Anyone got more info on this? might help the OP decide what she wants to do.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    OP, If you are trying to squat super heavy weights, like 400 pounds, I would think having the right information along with correct form AHEAD of time would be the best way to go about it... You are setting yourself up for massive injuries!

And I know its been said already, but the squat is a compound exercise... if you dont have the upper body strength to hold the weighted barbell, then you need to step back... WAY BACK... and regroup.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I follow Jason Blaha's IceCreamFitness channel, according to him, smith machines should be avoided for squats as they are dangerous due to constraining barpath. Anyone got more info on this? might help the OP decide what she wants to do.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/squat-versus-leg-press-for-big-legs.html

Whilst it compares leg press to a squat the issues are broadly the same.

Personally, I have never used the Smith as it felt unnatural to me...
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Go to http://www.elitefts.net/ if you want to learn how to squat massive weights. To be honest, chances are to get to the 400lb squat mark, you will need to learn how to use a squat suit and knee wraps.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    THIS THREAD! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/squat-versus-leg-press-for-big-legs.html

Whilst it compares leg press to a squat the issues are broadly the same.

Personally, I have never used the Smith as it felt unnatural to me...

Excellent article, thanks for sharing.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Wow-interesting thread. Don't really know what to believe but anyway...

-A squat isn't a squat IMO unless it's at parallel or below. ATG is nice but it's not at all necessary.

-Smith Machine is garbage for 95% of exercises and that especially includes squats. So could really care less what you "claim" to squat on it as it's meaningless IMO

-Educate yourself and not be using a Fitness Forum on the internet. I'd suggest hiring a Personal Trainer or someone who can show you proper squat form before you end up with an injury. Also, starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is an EXCELLENT book. Anyone who is serious about compound lifting should read this book.

-400lb squat at your weight is highly unlikely and I'll be honest, probably isn't going to happen. But if it does, please post a video for all of us to witness
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Wow-interesting thread. Don't really know what to believe but anyway...

-A squat isn't a squat IMO unless it's at parallel or below. ATG is nice but it's not at all necessary.

-Smith Machine is garbage for 95% of exercises and that especially includes squats. So could really care less what you "claim" to squat on it as it's meaningless IMO

-Educate yourself and not be using a Fitness Forum on the internet. I'd suggest hiring a Personal Trainer or someone who can show you proper squat form before you end up with an injury. Also, starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is an EXCELLENT book. Anyone who is serious about compound lifting should read this book.

-400lb squat at your weight is highly unlikely and I'll be honest, probably isn't going to happen. But if it does, please post a video for all of us to witness

thank you.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    The world record squat in the 132lb weight class is 385 with knee wraps, and 470 in the 148 class.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options

Seriously, OP, I'm not trying to be mean here. But a squat is a squat BECAUSE you're supporting that kind of weight on your shoulders.

Eh? So front squats and goblet squats are what exactly?

The mechanics of a squat are determined by the positioning of the ankles and hips relative to each other so you can drive the load in a vertical plane. This is why the Smith Machine is less use that a free weight squat as the positioning is artificial.

And what about people with long femurs or short torsos? Limited hip flexion? Tight hamstrings?

hmmm...i am one of those people with long legs/femurs and short torsos...but still able to squat a pretty good amount of weight. JUST TOOK TIME TO GET THERE...plus had a great lifting regime set by my coaches.
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    400 pounds is a bold goal for someone who has never even attempted a true barbell squat. You need to start barbell squating and learn the correct form. Odds are you wont be able to even do 150 the first time out. Start with a low weight and work on form and kep adding weight each Session. Add 5 to ten pounds. This is how you build strength
  • RobertHendrix
    RobertHendrix Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ETA: And no one is saying you can't squat 400 lbs. You can, but you're not going to do it in under a year. That takes years of training. And no, it won't set a world record. It won't even come close. The current state record in my state for the OP's age, gender, and weight is 427 pounds. The world record is likely a good deal higher than that.

400 lbs would actually shatter the World Powerlifting Federations world record for squats at her age/weight. Can go here to see all the listed records http://wpfpowerlifting.com/CurrentWPFRecords/WPF WOMENS POWERLIFTING RECORDS10.03.13.pdf

But it shows the current records for the teenager (15-19) and Junior (20-23) age divisions for the 67.5Kg (148.8lbs) weight class for squats as:

teen: Squat 137.5Kg (303.14 lbs)
    junior: Squat 170Kg (374.79lbs)

I mean 400lbs would be close to the open (24-39) record of 183Kg (403.45) at that weight class
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I do understand that smith doesn't count as a real squat and that some consider ATG to be the only proper form. despite all of that i think i still have the right to brag about my 300 lbs squats. how many ppl can achieve that in less than 6 months weighing 155 lbs? I will work on reaching to parallel AND using an actual barbell.. and I WILL squat 400 lbs. watch me

I say go for it. I'm not going to stand here and tell you what you can't do. Learn proper form and safety and go for it. Absofrigginlutely
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I say go for it if you want to set the world record rock on. Until then .....
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtPCWBg_O31ZOwR2uL3WC8Ph8hIlKfgydLho0gL-4muPH55vie8w
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I say go for it if you want to set the world record rock on. Until then .....
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtPCWBg_O31ZOwR2uL3WC8Ph8hIlKfgydLho0gL-4muPH55vie8w

bwahahahhahaha