Quarter Squat V.S Half Squat V.S ATG Squat

Options
123457»

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I do understand that smith doesn't count as a real squat and that some consider ATG to be the only proper form. despite all of that i think i still have the right to brag about my 300 lbs squats. how many ppl can achieve that in less than 6 months weighing 155 lbs? I will work on reaching to parallel AND using an actual barbell.. and I WILL squat 400 lbs. watch me

You would be considered an elite level female powerlifter.....There are women who train their who lives to accomplish this, and you are going to do so in less than a year? If you can't hit 300 lbs parallel (which actually isn't 300 lbs since it is a smith machine) how do you expect to add an additional 100 and get in deeper into the movement...
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    I do understand that smith doesn't count as a real squat and that some consider ATG to be the only proper form. despite all of that i think i still have the right to brag about my 300 lbs squats. how many ppl can achieve that in less than 6 months weighing 155 lbs? I will work on reaching to parallel AND using an actual barbell.. and I WILL squat 400 lbs. watch me

I know you have taken some beef for this statement... but I must say a few things... first off, great job. It is always nice to see women who aren't afraid to lift. Doing twice your body weight, even on a Smith Machine, is a great achievement. Well done.
    tumblr_m6lr0rPq5E1qireq9.gif
    That being said, I don't really think you have the right to brag about 300lbs as if you did it "free-barin". There really is a huge difference between the two. I commend you on your efforts and I would say to start with a goal of 300lbs of free weights and then go from there. Once you have to use your own body to stabilize the weight, things really do get a lot heavier... Best of luck OP! :drinker:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    My advice: Start squatting in the squat rack with free weights. Get used to a barbell on your back, drop the weight as necessary. Nobody will ever take you seriously until you get out the smith machine. I'm sure what you use in the smith machine is really good, I honestly couldn't imagine using that weight right now, but it's not a real squat.

Also, as far as a 400lb squat goal goes, yes it's an incredible goal to have and many women at that age won't reach it - you have to be realistic BUT it really does bug me though when people imply you'll never reach it by going on about world records. If you want it, go for it! World record's aren't fixed forever, and you're definitely not going to reach it if you don't try. That said, I think the main reason for a lot of people doubting your future success is because of the smith machine squat. It's very hard to take a person seriously when they're squatting in the smith machine, not even to parallel.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Are you currently squatting using free barbells or a smith machine?

i use the smith machine. i dont have enough upper body strength to use a free barbell :(

that is not a squat
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I dont even count my reps unless i break parallel. i have lateral distoid meniscus (knee cartilage is malformed), so anything less than parallel and im sprinkling anti inflammatories and vicodin on my dinner.
  • xxentric
    xxentric Posts: 3
    Options
    I prefer ATG Squats. More bang for your buck IMHO. But I still recommend reading Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength or youtubing his Intro to Squat video.

That said, I also like box squats. I suggest "So you think you can squat" vid on youtube.

There's a few articles on www.bodybuilding.com as well. Search there.

My gym is very small and we don't have a smith machine or even a squat rack. I started with an ez barbell with enough plates that I can clean and put on my shoulders. My first goal was to squat a 45lb bar (which I did last year.) Now I do ATG squats of 65lbs. I still can't put em on my shoulders but there are usually nice guys that would help lift the bar for me and do that :) I weigh 98lbs and my goal now is to squat my bodyweight.

Good luck!
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    ATG all the way is proper form and I FULLY suppport reading Rippetoe's Starting Strength...I learned a lot from that!